HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers listening to offers for Jokinen or Bert

Old
02-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Panthers_Fan

vCash: 500
Panthers listening to offers for Jokinen or Bert

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194647&hubname=

Panthers_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
IceManCat
A New Era

theres no facts in that article its all speculation

IceManCat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
uhh..... jokinen? not happy with florida? yeah ok.

one thing after another with these rumors, jeez

I May Be Wrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
Hilarious. Why do they keep making this crap up?
Quote:
word is starting to circulate that he's unhappy
Whose word? Yours? Is there a freakin' source, Darren?

Quote:
There is reason to believe the Panthers are contemplating a myriad of moves
Reason to believe? If you want to speculate like an HFBoards poster might on the trade rumor forum, there could be reason to believe that Crosby is being shopped. Seriously, terrible.

So, an article WRITTEN by a TSN correspondent, not from any actual source. No newspaper, not even of Canadian origin, no AP, nothin'. Explain to me why all these networks hate our team so much? Ugh.

Darren Dreger's reporting skills amount to Robert De Niro's saying: "I've heard things".

Florida Panthers: 2014 NHL Entry Draft Lottery...Winners?
Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:45 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

I could see Jokinen maybe welcoming a change, but I don't think JM will trade him unless he gets offered the world. It makes no sense to move him.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:40 PM
PanthersFanatic12

all rumors with no hard evidence to back it up. Remember how bad the media made jokinen and his camp look when we were trying to resign him. Anywho, Bert i can see us listening to offers . But Jokinen , the face of the franchise , makes no bloody sense . And a reminder keenan is not the GM , Martin would not gamble on our future . hes a smart man , and will not be taken advantage of .

PanthersFanatic12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:02 PM
sinDer

with Keenan, I would be scared to see him trade guys like Horton or Jokinen

but with JM, it's different. I don't expect to see Horton or Jokinen be traded

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:18 PM
PANTHERS OWN YOU*

yeah i think jaques martin is gonna make a difference i can sence it.

PANTHERS OWN YOU* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 09:20 PM
Acadmus

I've found with the trade deadline, the more talk there is about trading players, the less likely it is to happen.

Case in point is Jokinen last year. The media had him already dealt by the time he signed that 4-year extension.

02-02-2007, 09:31 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
with Keenan, I would be scared to see him trade guys like Horton or Jokinen

but with JM, it's different. I don't expect to see Horton or Jokinen be traded
Totally agree with this post. If Martin and the new Asst. GM trade guys, it'll probably be the older vets.

02-02-2007, 10:23 PM
zeroG

i dunno. i like olli but if JM has the opportunity to dramatically remake the team in a positive way by dealing him, i don't see how he could *not* listen. it all depends on who's offering what and while teams generally know what they have and don't have at this point in the season, things can change in the next few weeks - a win streak puts a marginal team on the playoff bubble; a contender suffers a major injury; etc.

consider this - may JM *will* trade jokinen or bert and maybe it *will* actually improve the team. it is possible.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:28 PM
sinDer

Jokinen is our best player, he's under contract for the next 3 years...why trade him?

we have first big center, still young, on contract for the next 3 years!!!

actualy, Horton has more chance to be trade than Jokinen.

I would be very surprised if JM trade Horton or Weiss, but if he does...it's gonna be "fair" deal. JM is not gonna ruin this team with trades, I trust him

Old
02-02-2007, 10:41 PM
KW

I think the part of this report that's probably true is that the Panthers are "listening". I.e. the Panthers want to sell, and therefore need to "listen" to what people want to buy. "Listening" to a request does not imply "ready to sell requested item". It's just a good sales technique to keep people in the store. If my spin is right, I'm actually damn glad they're "listening".

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:46 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

I agree that you should keep Jokinen...

But heck, if he's on the market, I could see Gainey offering the world for him.

Don't flame me, it's just a fantasy proposal:

To MTL: Jokinen and Horton

To FLA: Michael Ryder, choice of Plekanec/Chipchura, choice of Kostsitsyn/Grabovski, choice of O'Byrne/Emelin, Price and 1st rounder

Basically:

Plekanec/Chipchura, Price and 1st for Jokinen
Ryder, Kostsitsyn/Grabovski and O'Byrne/Emelin for Horton

I think it's not bad. That would give you two top 6 forwards for next year, a 2nd line center, a potential top 4 d-man, a solid number one goalie in the making and a 1st round pick.

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Panthers Rock
Oh...Yeah ;)

Send a message via AIM to Panthers Rock
I wouldn't deny that they were listening. But Dreger wants to make it sound like either or both will be traded. It's the Jokinen part that really irks me. After the 4 year contract, I thought we were done with this.

Moreso him saying that Jokinen is "not happy". Who is Dreger kidding? He's the captain, he's been through this for 7 years. I don't know, but he's got no sources and he sure makes it sound like pure speculation.

Also I made a kinda mean Dreger pic but I'm holding back from posting it

Panthers Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:08 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers Rock View Post
I wouldn't deny that they were listening. But Dreger wants to make it sound like either or both will be traded. It's the Jokinen part that really irks me. After the 4 year contract, I thought we were done with this.

Moreso him saying that Jokinen is "not happy". Who is Dreger kidding? He's the captain, he's been through this for 7 years. I don't know, but he's got no sources and he sure makes it sound like pure speculation.

Also I made a kinda mean Dreger pic but I'm holding back from posting it
Who said he has no source?

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
Who said he has no source?
Considering this is the first most of us, if not all, have heard of this and no source is quoted, I'd venture to agree with P-Rock. Where'd this come from?

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 11:53 PM
Remax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Considering this is the first most of us, if not all, have heard of this and no source is quoted, I'd venture to agree with P-Rock. Where'd this come from?
He is a sports writer/repoter, most of the credible ones have sources, and most of them don't tell who their sources are because they don't want to lose them. Don't forget, this guy is not just some blogger doing this for fun.

Remax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 12:18 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
****ing great.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezhogin_19 View Post
I agree that you should keep Jokinen...

But heck, if he's on the market, I could see Gainey offering the world for him.

Don't flame me, it's just a fantasy proposal:

To MTL: Jokinen and Horton

To FLA: Michael Ryder, choice of Plekanec/Chipchura, choice of Kostsitsyn/Grabovski, choice of O'Byrne/Emelin, Price and 1st rounder

Basically:

Plekanec/Chipchura, Price and 1st for Jokinen
Ryder, Kostsitsyn/Grabovski and O'Byrne/Emelin for Horton

I think it's not bad. That would give you two top 6 forwards for next year, a 2nd line center, a potential top 4 d-man, a solid number one goalie in the making and a 1st round pick.
nah

I wouldn't trade Jokinen and Horton for your entire first line, Koivu, Higgins and Ryder

Old
02-03-2007, 02:14 AM
PanthersRule96

Lol it makes perfect sense. Jokinen's not been in the playoffs for what? 9 NHL seasons? Needless to say a lot. It's his responsability in part to step up and help but I mean can you blame the guy for being sick of losing? His style isn't the type of player that does everything by himself or dominates games. He's a great shooter and can score goals as well as set up so you can blame his lousy linemates in part for his point struggles. Peltonen is a crafty player, Gelinas sucks, Horton is ok I guess but really isn't a good match with Olli IMO because both are shooters. Just the whole mess with us losing always, teh Luongo situation, future uncertainty, and the same promises that we'll win and we don't probably are wearing on him and of course you can't blame him at all for that.

PanthersRule96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:55 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax View Post
He is a sports writer/repoter, most of the credible ones have sources, and most of them don't tell who their sources are because they don't want to lose them. Don't forget, this guy is not just some blogger doing this for fun.
But often their sources aren't as reliable as they think - remember they have a job to produce articles regardless of checking up on little things called facts. They get a rumor they will often rush to print it without any verification. This is journalism, after all, not reporting. Reporting is almost extinct in this day and age.

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 05:19 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
Jokinen is our best player, he's under contract for the next 3 years...why trade him?
i doubt that he will be traded but, a) i don't think he'll ever have more value than he does right now, b) this organization has holes to fill at every level, from the show on down to a need for picks/prospects, c) his points and leadership are not irreplacable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
But often their sources aren't as reliable as they think - remember they have a job to produce articles regardless of checking up on little things called facts. They get a rumor they will often rush to print it without any verification. This is journalism, after all, not reporting. Reporting is almost extinct in this day and age.
i agree. i would take this with a grain of salt. i would be surprised if JM dealt olli but if he did, i have a feeling it would be part of a deal that would make us all happy so i'm not worrying.... yet.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:04 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i doubt that he will be traded but, a) i don't think he'll ever have more value than he does right now, b) this organization has holes to fill at every level, from the show on down to a need for picks/prospects, c) his points and leadership are not irreplacable.

i agree. i would take this with a grain of salt. i would be surprised if JM dealt olli but if he did, i have a feeling it would be part of a deal that would make us all happy so i'm not worrying.... yet.
Agreed and agreed. Wouldn't like to see Jokinen go, but if he isn't part of Martin's future makeup of the team, then it makes sense to get the best value for him now.

This trade deadline and offseason will be critical to how this team gets shaped in the coming years. If Cohen truly sticks it out with Martin, then it should all come together. He'll likely want to shed the Keenan and Dudley players that aren't too enthused to be under his tutelage.

On paper, it might not look like the best thing to do, but sometimes cleaning house (even with your best players) is essential if you're trying to establish a specific culture in the locker room.

That's not to take away anything from Jokinen, but maybe he and Martin aren't exactly on the same page right now.

ratmanfu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 08:19 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
I think the part of this report that's probably true is that the Panthers are "listening". I.e. the Panthers want to sell, and therefore need to "listen" to what people want to buy. "Listening" to a request does not imply "ready to sell requested item". It's just a good sales technique to keep people in the store. If my spin is right, I'm actually damn glad they're "listening".
I agree. Nice analysis.

A good GM is always "listening". Unless you are talking about a generational talent, you listen to everything. For example, JayBo is "untouchable". If someone offers a kings ransom for him, would he be untouchable?

The problem with the Panthers is not the players we trade. It's the return we get. Why? Players are traded at the nadir, not the peak, of value. They are traded when they let it be known they don't want to be here. In short the Panthers have always violated the first law of investing. Buy low, sell high.

Last edited by angry_treefrog: 02-03-2007 at 08:58 AM.
angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote