HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anton Volchenkov MONSTER

Old
02-02-2007, 07:31 PM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Anton Volchenkov MONSTER

Not Pierres man crush Phaneuf but he named Volchenkov his monster of the Season on defense.

Volchenkov is awesome, a clear 30 blocked shot ahead of the nearest competition and is a great hitter.

The most fearless player in the league and the toughest SOB I have seen play since Dmitri Yushkevich.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:38 PM
RTWAP*

Crap! That means he'll be even more expensive to re-sign.

Uhmmm ... I mean Yippee!!! I'm so happy for him as a person and as a hockey player.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Crap! That means he'll be even more expensive to re-sign.

Uhmmm ... I mean Yippee!!! I'm so happy for him as a person and as a hockey player.

Its funny how much this teams identity has changed in a year. We went from hoping that Redden and Chara take one year deals to have one more kick at the can, to hoping Muckler signs both Volchenkov and Phillips long term to be the face of our defense. Not exactly what I expected to happen at season's start.

Don Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 08:14 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 1300
Volchenkov, Meszaros, and Phillips are the cornerstones of this defence. I don't see Ottawa being able to re-sign Redden in 2008, as Heatley, Spezza, and Fisher signings would take priority.

I hope Lee is an adequate replacement for Redden in the long run.

But on the topic itself, Volchenkov has indeed been a monster this season. I would venture onto say that he is probably the league's most improved player this season, as he has been one of the best defencemen in the entire league. That's a long way from his dismal playoff performance against the Sabres last spring.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Silvercup Returns
classless chick :(

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Silvercup Returns
Aaaah, Anton. This is one way to fix a broken heart.

Go Volchenkov go!

Twitter: @livelikeagypsy
Silvercup Returns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2007, 10:32 PM
Answer

Answer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:23 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

vCash: 277
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
When did he do this?

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 04:43 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
When did he do this?
Intermission of the Blues-Detroit game on TSN. Chris Mason was his goaltending monster as well.

Old
02-03-2007, 06:41 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher View Post
Its funny how much this teams identity has changed in a year. We went from hoping that Redden and Chara take one year deals to have one more kick at the can, to hoping Muckler signs both Volchenkov and Phillips long term to be the face of our defense. Not exactly what I expected to happen at season's start.
I was hoping that neither Redden nor Chara would re-sign, but your point is well made. Like most fans, I would have been happy if Anton had taken another small step forward. Instead he's taken a big leap. He looks like a 10 year veteran out there on most nights.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:19 AM
H2O

vCash: 50
I totally agree, Volchenkov has been a MONSTER. He is our best defenceman so far this season.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:07 AM
SENSational

Man Fuhr, you are like a sens propaganda machine.

Yea, Volchenkov rocks.

SENSational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:13 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSational View Post
Man Fuhr, you are like a sens propaganda machine.

I love the team and love seeing players get recognition for there accomplishments. I can be critical too though, only when something does not make sense to me, I feel Ottawa is one of the best run teams in the NHL, so not to many times something will not make sense to me.

Now if Ottawa can win a cup the propaganda can really begin, and take the machine league wide.

Last edited by The Fuhr*: 02-03-2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: grammar
Old
02-03-2007, 01:50 PM
rban*

Ottawa's cornerstones on D have to be those four Dmen including Redden! We gotta figure out a way, either by getting rid of Corvo or Gerber, to clear enough space to keep all four.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:52 PM
rban*

BTW: does anyone know or remember why Yuskevitch, despite being great in many ways, was brushed off and gotten rid of by both Philly and Leafs? Did he simply ask for too much money, or was it something else?

I never did understand that,

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:55 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
BTW: does anyone know or remember why Yuskevitch, despite being great in many ways, was brushed off and gotten rid of by both Philly and Leafs? Did he simply ask for too much money, or was it something else?

I never did understand that,
I know when he left the Leafs its because he wanted to play in Russia. Don't know about Philly though.

Old
02-03-2007, 02:06 PM
EJsens1

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Volchenkov, Meszaros, and Phillips are the cornerstones of this defence. I don't see Ottawa being able to re-sign Redden in 2008, as Heatley, Spezza, and Fisher signings would take priority.

I hope Lee is an adequate replacement for Redden in the long run.
Time will tell on Lee. The best thing about him though is that he won't be projected to be our number 1 guy in a couple seasons. Meszaros is the future of our defence and is by a mile. If he can continue to develop (sure, he hasn't been as dominating this year, but he is playing in more key roles every game) at the pace he is, we can build our defence down through him.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 02:47 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
I have to say that one of the more impressive non-obvious aspects of his game is his 1 on 1 play coming down the wing. People have been on partial breaks and he either hits the body the right way, or gets his stick in just the right spot to break up the play. He never gives up.

...Darn, is this the beginning of a McGuire man-crush on the sens? I hope not.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
hoppy
EK65

Send a message via MSN to hoppy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Intermission of the Blues-Detroit game on TSN. Chris Mason was his goaltending monster as well.
That sort of takes away from it then.
Mason's stats are very inflated especially since he gets his big wins against non-playoff teams.
I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but check Mason's win record against playoff teams then look at Vokoun's..
You'll see that Vokoun is the real deal and can actually win games for his team against the big contenders and Mason can only contain other teams (weak ones at that) and almost always needs the team to win for him.
Not monster material whatsoever

hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:55 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
That sort of takes away from it then.
Mason's stats are very inflated especially since he gets his big wins against non-playoff teams.
I don't know the stats off the top of my head, but check Mason's win record against playoff teams then look at Vokoun's..
You'll see that Vokoun is the real deal and can actually win games for his team against the big contenders and Mason can only contain other teams (weak ones at that) and almost always needs the team to win for him.
Not monster material whatsoever
Vokoun also went down with an injury for 20 games and Mason stepped up and has gone 21-8-2 record with a .930sv%. The Preds also give up 32 shots a game, 6th most in the NHL.

He stepped up when the Preds needed him too and did a fantastic job at that. Thats a monster too me.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Grabner*

About time he made it on pierres stupid monster list. A-Train is a beast.

Grabner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:00 PM
hoppy
EK65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
Vokoun also went down with an injury for 20 games and Mason stepped up and has gone 21-8-2 record with a .930sv%. The Preds also give up 32 shots a game, 6th most in the NHL.

He stepped up when the Preds needed him too and did a fantastic job at that. Thats a monster too me.
Well..
That's completely arguable and isn't a concrete whatsoever.
My point would be regardless of Mason stepping up, many other goalies would be capable of doing so given the position he was in that play strong enough hockey on their own teams where they don't just get the easy starts and depend on their team.
Even in their regular current positions, IMO they play more of a monster role.
Brodeur should have taken this "Goaltending monster" description hands down.. Honorable mention to Luongo, two goalies that win regardless of their teams play. Thatís a distinction very evident between the caliber of a Vezina candidate and an overachiever given his position.
It may not look like Iím giving him a whole lot of credit based on analyzing the game but McGuire usually just drops names and checks the basic SV% GAA stats and seals a tight, agreeable (to the hockey passive eye) point using in your face style.

If Mason is your #1 goalie going into the post season, you're going to lose a 7 game series.
I don't care who your team is!
Considering heís on Nashville, very arguably the best team in the league, looking at his mediocre stats VS. playoff teams, I can conclude my opinion to Mason being far from a monster.

Old
02-06-2007, 06:01 PM
The Fuhr*

My opinion is Mason is a monster in the way he stepped up when the team needed him. That is all.

Old
02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
hoppy
EK65

Well Brodeur stepped up when his team needed him as well/ Season-long against all competition with a weaker team putting up similar stats.

MY MONSTER!
But yeah.. This is all debatable and really has no concrete evidence to show who is really the "monster". The only thing left would be that McGuire made up the description so he should be the only one to determine who a "monster performer" is. I'll just counter with McGuire being a name-dropping basic stat analyzing, entertaining analyst.