HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Doomsday scenarios...

Old
02-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Doomsday scenarios...

are playing out...four teams in the Eastern Conference race played today....each team got at least one point...

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

yep, like i said, in 2 games we probably will know whether were totally out of it, or still have a chance.

2 games against 2 of the best teams in the league....should be a massacre.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
are playing out...four teams in the Eastern Conference race played today....each team got at least one point...
Is it really doomsday though Fletch? Is it really all that bad if the Rangers dont make the playoffs? Wouldn't you agree that the best thing that could happen to this team is to get a high draft pick? High draft pick, or sweep in the first round. Give me the pick.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:45 PM
FLYLine24*

Doomsday = We are 10 points out of a playoff spot in a week and Sather panics and trades away our top prospects for Forsberg. And then of course we still don't make the playoffs.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
Doomsday = We are 10 points out of a playoff spot in a week and Sather panics and trades away our top prospects for Forsberg. And then of course we still don't make the playoffs.
Right, and because of that trade, we end up finishing 9th and get a crappy draft pick, as well as not making the playoffs. Now THAT'S Doomsday.

Old
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
shoothepuck

It's the NY Rangers, what does everyone expect. The problem is that they just don't play good enough to beat teams they should, and now that points are at a premium, they can't string 3-4 wins together to make up any ground.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Pizza

I just don't think that will happen Fly given what the Rangers management has put out there verbally. That would just be a repeat of exactly what happened three years ago. Again, Maloney addressed exactly that point when asked and shot it down.

I keep going back to this because this is a real test for what the Rangers are calling their "rebuild". Some people would dispute the use of that word, but that is what the Rangers are calling it.

We will get to see if they fold and panic or if they stay the course. A third possible option is that they make a youth for youth move. We would have to see who is involved and if the Rangers overpay. A fourth option is that they actually start trading some of the bigger names: Straka, Jagr, Shanny, Nyls. This would seem unlikely, but who really knows.

The next two weeks will be very interesting.

As presently constituted, this team will not make the playoffs

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 05:08 PM
In The Flesh

gotta keep Straka + Nylander, otherwise say bye bye to Jagr. Plus when on their game they can be a force. Lines 2-4 we need to get younger.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Fletch

Balej...

I don't honestly know what's best for the Rangers at this point. It's really a toss-up at this point. Is it good for Lundqvist to get a playoff win? I think it is. I dunno at this point.

Fletch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I don't honestly know what's best for the Rangers at this point. It's really a toss-up at this point. Is it good for Lundqvist to get a playoff win? I think it is. I dunno at this point.
I don't see this team winning even one game in the playoffs. So he will just be demoralized again this year.

Old
02-04-2007, 07:33 PM
True Blue

Doomsday? Prucha being traded for Smolinsky or RUcinsky.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Choice

Comeon guys you are all mentioning organizational doomsday scenarios. I think Fletch meant 06-07 doomsday, which seems to be at hand.

Choice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:33 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMessiah1194 View Post
gotta keep Straka + Nylander, otherwise say bye bye to Jagr. Plus when on their game they can be a force. Lines 2-4 we need to get younger.
I'm not so sure that's a bad thing.

The fact that Jagr is here is pretty much determining the direction the team takes because for as long as we have Jagr, Sather is going to make an effort to be competitive while not being able to surround him with enough supporting cast to BE competitive.

We will hover around the 8th position for the remainder of the season but ultimately miss out on both the PO's and a solid 1st rounder.

I'm not so sure that hooking your wagon to a superstar who can still light the building up, but can no longer carry the torch is such a wise move.

Jagr and his line-mates need, absolutely need, a 2nd scoring line in order for them to be as effective as they can be. Without that, we are not going to be a good team because we have become a one trick pony and when you take that away, what have you got? 1 legit top line player in Shanny and at 38 I'd say he's a 2nd liner at best. A kid that greatly benefitted from playing on the PP with Jagr last year in Prucha. He's a solid 2nd liner, but nothing great. But both of those guys are rendered in effective without a player to get them the puck.

What makes them in-effective, also makes Jagr's line in-effictive because there's no fear of the Rangers 2nd 3rd and 4th lines.

At somepoint this team needs to cut it's ties to it's need and desire for a big name player because it doesn't allow for what this franchise truly needs a rebuild that get this team back into contention.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 11:22 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Standing pat and attempting to make the playoffs is one thing.

Trading young assets for someone like Forsberg in an attempt to make the playoffs, is another.

The Latter is DOOMSDAY.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 11:34 PM
DontStaal

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=194633&hubname=nhl

Quote:
New York Post reports that the Rangers are turning their attention to St. Louis' Keith Tkachuk, though the paper notest that youngsters to Marc Staal, Brandon Dubinsky, Bobby Sanguinetti, Ryan Callahan and Petr Prucha are untouchable. Other options for the Rangers, according to the paper, include Chicago's Bryan Smolinski and Nashville's Josef Vasicek, with the mention that the Predators could have interest in defencemen Aaron Ward or Karel Rachunek.
i hope thats true, b/c trading away our prospects is a doomsday scenario. We as a group don't have high hopes for this year, and quite frankly i'm tired of hearing what Jagr wants. He's 34 not 24 and I think the organization has to start getting younger, faster, and start playing a more north-south game.

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 11:56 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontStaal View Post

i hope thats true, b/c trading away our prospects is a doomsday scenario. We as a group don't have high hopes for this year, and quite frankly i'm tired of hearing what Jagr wants. He's 34 not 24 and I think the organization has to start getting younger, faster, and start playing a more north-south game.

THANK YOU!

HOLY ****!

Someone else who finally has gotten tired of Jagr's demands, and building the team around him to keep him happy. We play an east-west game, and we all know that the east-west game DOESN'T WIN. We could use an infusion of youth to energize this team as well. There's NO REASON why Dawes and Callahan can't do what schlepps like Hossa and Hall are doing.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Kostik

Quote:

and can you tell me where is written that Jagr is demanding these trades?
How do you know what Jagr wants?
These two posts are just complete b-sh*ts

Kostik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 04:58 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:

That info comes from last week's New York Post article by Larry Brooks.TSN recaps all of the rumors.Since then it's been reported Tkachuk is likely headed to a western conference team IF he waives his NTC

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:56 AM
DontStaal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostik View Post
and can you tell me where is written that Jagr is demanding these trades?
How do you know what Jagr wants?
These two posts are just complete b-sh*ts
sorry if you thought that was what I meant bro. I was referring to Jagr seperatly. You know, how he wants his bf Rucinsky back, how we should resign Straka, Nylander, and just basically the inner-strife within the team. Maybe its time ot move on

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote