HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Huselius Hottest Player In The NHL

Old
02-04-2007, 01:30 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
I believe Huselius is better than a good NHL player. Now very good and verging on star, I could go along with. I know he will not likely be able to maintain the pace he has put up (about 1.5 ppg) over the last twelve games because that would make him one of the top players in the league. I do believe, however, he is eclipsing a pile of players who were rated ahead of him. I think he is capable of scoring over 80 pts.

It is not as if his play has only been in the last 12 games. He is close to a point per game, and he got off to a slow start (as did the rest of the team). Since his slow start, he has averaged over a point per game. He has 50 points in his last 44 games. And look at the game last night. He was pretty close to scoring 2 goals. The guy is playing with confidence, and he dominates with his puck handling skills. He is paid right now, like a good NHLer. Do you think if he was a UFA he wouldn't be able to foster better money than that? There are players with numbers worse than him, making 5 million. I do feel he is a comparable talent with Tanguay for example. I know he doesn't have Tanguay's track record, and so he wouldn't be commanding the same salary, but I don't think it would be out of the question for him to get 3 million or more.

That is in the top quarter of the players in the NHL.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I believe Huselius is better than a good NHL player. Now very good and verging on star, I could go along with. I know he will not likely be able to maintain the pace he has put up (about 1.5 ppg) over the last twelve games because that would make him one of the top players in the league. I do believe, however, he is eclipsing a pile of players who were rated ahead of him. I think he is capable of scoring over 80 pts.

It is not as if his play has only been in the last 12 games. He is close to a point per game, and he got off to a slow start (as did the rest of the team). Since his slow start, he has averaged over a point per game. He has 50 points in his last 44 games. And look at the game last night. He was pretty close to scoring 2 goals. The guy is playing with confidence, and he dominates with his puck handling skills. He is paid right now, like a good NHLer. Do you think if he was a UFA he wouldn't be able to foster better money than that? There are players with numbers worse than him, making 5 million. I do feel he is a comparable talent with Tanguay for example. I know he doesn't have Tanguay's track record, and so he wouldn't be commanding the same salary, but I don't think it would be out of the question for him to get 3 million or more.

That is in the top quarter of the players in the NHL.
i think his current salary is more along the lines of an average/decent NHL (a la Kobasew)... and before this season he was never more than a 20-25 goal and 45-50 point guy... and i dont think that a 70-80 point season is on the verge of being a star... but i will give you that he is becoming a very good player

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 02:27 AM
supervillains10

During the lock-out he dominated the Swedish Elite league offfensively...

Sure it's not the NHL, but superstars like Forsberg, Naslund and Zetterberg were there as well and didn't come up with Huselius' numbers. I think he's a late bloomer and is just starting to break out of his shell.

"Star" is a good word to start at for now.

supervillains10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 08:03 AM
abracanada

His performance in the SEL is a point often overlooked. Also his performance his rookie year, seems to be ignored. He outperformed both of the Sedin's by a considerable margin his rookie year, and they had both been picked in the top five.

Juice just doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Old
02-05-2007, 03:25 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Found this floating around the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8-ih_N_AE&NR

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:58 AM
Art Vandelay

Send a message via MSN to Art Vandelay
Nice to see that Huselius is finally coming into his own in the NHL, hope he keeps it up.

Art Vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 07:36 PM
natural420*

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Found this floating around the net.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn8-ih_N_AE&NR

lol. thats hilarious. they should take it one step further and actually make the song and a video for it.

"from the bench" bahahaha its so true

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:19 PM
guest1467

I was watching the Canucks-Flames game and I couldnt believe how much skill this guy has. He reminds me of Kovalev a bit, but more of a hardworker. He is so unpredictable, and when you think he is going to pass he throws you a curveball and puts it in the net. What a transformation this guy has had since leaving Florida. Congrats to your management for picking this guy up for a very low price. He is going to help in you in the playoffs greatley, as I have never seen the Flames with such offensive depth before.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2007, 10:58 PM
abracanada

Well, the streak is over. 14 games is the longest scoring streak of the season. Now, he needs to maintain and continue playing well. Inconsistency is not a tag you can lay on Huselius now.

Old
02-18-2007, 01:17 AM
abracanada

Well, it had to happen. He caught the "super star" Sedins. Not bad for a guy playing on the second line.

Old
02-18-2007, 01:20 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Huselius is on fire again!

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:48 AM
WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs

Zetterberg definately hotter

WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 01:49 AM
NHL33*

Zetterberg's crazy right now. As much as it pains me to say that about a Deadwing...that line with Datsyuk is incredible. It was much more fun to see them struggle earlier in the season, why couldn't that keep up!? ;_;

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:21 AM
Vintage93

Wow, I was watching the Col-Ggy game tonight and the vision and hands huselius has are unreal. It's nice to see him finally playing to his potential. Nice find guys!

Vintage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 02:41 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSt_CoAsT_eXpReSs View Post
Zetterberg definately hotter
thanks tips... but maybe you should have looked at the date the thread was started... because Huselius was definately hotter then

Old
02-18-2007, 05:19 AM
Ola

Huselius got a gift that very few got. He is constantly reevalueating (sp) his game, trying what works, what doesn't work. Constantly got his head up scanning off how the D's set up, trying to find open ice to work with. I've watched him a ton for 7-8 years, its like every month he got a new little specialty.

Many players plays the exact same way 15 years in a row. Though thoose who become really successful often are these guys who always adjusts there game. Jaromir Jagr is a great example, like last year he probably scored 35 goals with the slapper from out along the boards on the right side, this year I doubt he got 3 goals like that, but still is up there in the scoring race. Forsberg and Näslund are other examples. Näslund for example were a completly diffrent player when he were 21-22 then he is now. When guys like that hits jackpot, finds a specialty that really fits them and their linemates, there is no limit how good they can be. And they are often bound to find it sooner or later. Everyone can find a spot that fits them perfectly, like Cheechoo last season for SJ, but the big diffrence is that someone like Huselius who always adjusts his game is bound to find it and utilize it even better. Pavel Rosa is also a great example of a player like Huselius or Jagr, someone who sees the ice so well and is so smart that he is able to not play a game based on his skills, but are able to play a game based out of how the other team plays. Though Rosa never had the raw skills to establish himself in the NHL, and got pretty much dough in Europe...

Anyway, you guys are also so lucky that many teams in this league got pisspoor scouting. For us who had seen Huselius in Europe, it was pretty obivous that he had a helluva potential, and I doubt anyone over here would be extremely surpised if he won the Art Ross one day, still 29 teams passed over him on waivers, twice (right?).

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Jared Ramsden
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via AIM to Jared Ramsden Send a message via MSN to Jared Ramsden Send a message via Yahoo to Jared Ramsden
That shot on his second goal was unreal last night. Near impossible angle, but he roofs it right in the top corner...

2011-12: The start of a new making the playoffs streak!

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CalDevil3219
Jared Ramsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:23 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
That shot on his second goal was unreal last night. Near impossible angle, but he roofs it right in the top corner...
Juice did exactly the same thing last night against Phoenix. I don't know if anybody has noticed, but the Flames scoring has picked up considerably over the last little while, and the power play has gone insane since the acquisition of Stuart and Primeau. Go figure.

The power play improvement is only going to escalate Huselius' stats. He is by the Sedins, next in sight, Nylander/Alfreddson.

Old
02-28-2007, 03:27 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden View Post
I seem to remember him doing that a bunch vs. the Canucks this season.

I have now picked him up in basically all of my fantasy leagues. I honestly think he has 90-100 point potential.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-28-2007, 03:51 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
I seem to remember him doing that a bunch vs. the Canucks this season.

I have now picked him up in basically all of my fantasy leagues. I honestly think he has 90-100 point potential.
I believe he is held back playing for the Flames. He is 7 pts back of Zetterberg with a game in hand, but Zetterberg is playing 21 minutes per game. Huselius is playing around 17 minutes per game. If he were playing over 20 minutes a game, I think 100 points would be well within his grasp.

Over his last 20 games, he has 26 points. Notice too, that a good part of his 14 game scoring streak, was when Iggy was gone. They relied on him more, and it resulted in him producing. He is the kind of guy people seem to love to hate, but you can't argue with his production.

Old
02-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I believe he is held back playing for the Flames. He is 7 pts back of Zetterberg with a game in hand, but Zetterberg is playing 21 minutes per game. Huselius is playing around 17 minutes per game. If he were playing over 20 minutes a game, I think 100 points would be well within his grasp.

Over his last 20 games, he has 26 points. Notice too, that a good part of his 14 game scoring streak, was when Iggy was gone. They relied on him more, and it resulted in him producing. He is the kind of guy people seem to love to hate, but you can't argue with his production.
Zetterberg is only playing 20 minutes because in all honesty thats is the wings only real scoring line... plus Zetterberg gets PK time... Iginla only gets 21:52 per game the only other forward over 20 minutes is Langkow ans he is at 20:05... after that the only forward playing more than Huselius is Tanguay (and thats only 6 seconds difference)

Old
02-28-2007, 10:09 AM
abracanada

That is the point though. Because he plays on the Flames, Huselius is one of the top four forwards. On many teams, he would be getting more ice time. Like the tear he went on when Iggy was down.

Alfreddson is a good comparison with Huselius. He gets a minute more per game on the pk, but he gets a lot more time on the power play and even strength too. He plays on a team with a guy like Heatley playing the same position. Heatley and Alfreddson play around 22 minutes per game each. It can be done. Huselius doesn't get as much time on the pp as he probably should.

I would be the first one to tell you, for my money, Zetterberg is the best, most rounded player from Sweden in the NHL right now. I am not saying Huselius is in his league, but when it comes to pure offense, there are few, if any better than the Juice.