HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need a real franchise player

Old
02-03-2007, 06:00 PM
Dark4ng3l

vCash: 500
We need a real franchise player

I think this is our real problem. WE have tons of players with potential but it seems that everyone on the team has to go through slumps(thank goodness at different times). What we really need that almost every other team have is one guy that can score consistantly. We need an 80 point scorer to add to the entire scoring comitee we have. Most team, even bad teams have a top guy. We dont because we never signed a superstar to an insane contract(see Jagr, etc.) or drafted high enough to get a real TOP prospect(hell even if we had a couple of top 5 picks in the 90s the management would still have messed it up). Look at all the teams that did well recently. Tampa has 3 "top guys", carolina had weight and staal. The red wings got over a decade of dominanace from Yzerman. The avalanche had Sakic.

I think the problem with our team is that we run 2 2nd lines a "2.5" line and a "3.5" line. We dont have the kind of punch almost every other team has because our talent is so spread out.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:03 PM
kostitsyn1489

Yes lets lose all the game this year and trade all our good player to philly and hope that with these new player they can win more then 15 game till the end of the season to finish behind them and draft first!

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:04 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post
I think this is our real problem. WE have tons of players with potential but it seems that everyone on the team has to go through slumps(thank goodness at different times). What we really need that almost every other team have is one guy that can score consistantly. We need an 80 point scorer to add to the entire scoring comitee we have. Most team, even bad teams have a top guy. We dont because we never signed a superstar to an insane contract(see Jagr, etc.) or drafted high enough to get a real TOP prospect(hell even if we had a couple of top 5 picks in the 90s the management would still have messed it up). Look at all the teams that did well recently. Tampa has 3 "top guys", carolina had weight and staal. The red wings got over a decade of dominanace from Yzerman. The avalanche had Sakic.

I think the problem with our team is that we run 2 2nd lines a "2.5" line and a "3.5" line. We dont have the kind of punch almost every other team has because our talent is so spread out.
I agree with this. The only time we looklike a cup contender is when every signle player is playign well. We need that one player that will play consistent offensive hockey.

x-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:06 PM
PK*

We got one in the system: Carey Price.

PK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:09 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
We got one in the system: Carey Price.
Yea maybe...but Offense has always been the problem with the Habs. FOr sure a solid goalie is important, but we seem to have more trouble scoring IMO.

Old
02-03-2007, 06:13 PM
Dark4ng3l

Yeah Price looks like a great pick now but with halak doing so well and with us having a couple other good goalie prospects, maybe Kopitar would have been a better choice. I think the team should be looking out for teams that have a couple really good guys and cant afford them for a trade at this point because I doubt we will ever find a guy like this in the later rounds since we seems to be quite unlucky in the draft, even if it has gotten 500% better the last few years.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 06:14 PM
ToysInTheAttic

I agree. We need a bonified sharpshooter like Lafleur or Bossy. There is something lacking in the team scouting . Every team needs that special gamebreaker.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:01 PM
shimy1221*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark4ng3l View Post

i was jus thinking that...we really do need a franchise player...otherwise, we're goin nooooowherrre

shimy1221* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:04 PM
guest1467

And how do you go about acquiring one of these players exactly? Besides pulling a Ron Wilson and stealing a captain.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:05 PM
shimy1221*

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
And how do you go about acquiring one of these players exactly? Besides pulling a Ron Wilson and stealing a captain.
ever hear of forsberg??

shimy1221* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimy1221 View Post
ever hear of forsberg??
Yeah it's not like there's a whole bunch of other NHL teams that are in better cap position and are more appealing than Montreal who are going to be jockeying for Forsberg as much as we are.

And Forsberg can't even be called a franchise player - he's old, injured, and UFA.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:08 PM
x-bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
We have tradable players. Peaople have to understand that we would have to give up some good players to get an even better one. No one is unetradable. Players like Perezhogin, Higgins, Komisarek, Kostitsyn, Grabovsky, Ryder can all be traded away. They all have good Trade value...

Old
02-03-2007, 07:14 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1375
Let's kidnap Crosby tomorrow and swap him with Garth Murray.

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:58 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
We have a franchise player.

His name is Mark Streit.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Habitants

get Jokinen, great size center, wins faceoff second most SHOTs in the league ~80points, leadership all good stuff

Jokinen+Van Ryn
vs
Ryder+Sammy+O'Byrne+Halak+1st

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:37 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
get Jokinen, great size center, wins faceoff second most SHOTs in the league ~80points, leadership all good stuff

Jokinen+Van Ryn
vs
Ryder+Sammy+O'Byrne+Halak+1st
I like this. It's time for MTL to bring some players like Jokinen.
I would try to put Danis instend of Halak. It's realy one sided either way. The point is,
Bob needs to pry a good player from an other team that is "untouchable" let's say. I beleive that Recchi was our last 80pst guy.....sick

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-bob View Post
Yea maybe...but Offense has always been the problem with the Habs. FOr sure a solid goalie is important, but we seem to have more trouble scoring IMO.
To LA: Carey Price
To MTL: Anze Kopitar

There's your franchise player!

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
Le Tricolore
Franchise Players

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clumsyhab View Post
To LA: Carey Price
To MTL: Anze Kopitar

There's your franchise player!
Neither team would do this, though.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:01 PM
wedge

I have to agree with you... I think we have a good team, but there's something missing...

we have one in kovalev, when he decides to play... that doesn't happen enough, unfortunately.

we really had our chance to draft one with our 5th overall pick. I love Price, but still think we screwed up a bit by passing over Kopitar.

but if we start winning again on a constant basis, I don,t care... but now that Saku is in a slump, all his line is in a slump and that hurts A LOT!!!

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
WeThreeKings

Why not make a pitch for Marleau with the Sharks? Marleau is what we need and I think the Shark's are in a position where they can afford to give him up.. They are loaded with talented.

Old
02-03-2007, 10:04 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Why not make a pitch for Marleau with the Sharks? Marleau is what we need and I think the Shark's are in a position where they can afford to give him up.. They are loaded with talented.
why would the sharks trade him?
what do you think he would cost us?

Old
02-03-2007, 10:07 PM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
why would the sharks trade him?
what do you think he would cost us?
A lot of draft picks, I think.. 1st round and 2nd round this draft, Jaroslav Halak and Ryan O'Byrne. The Sharks have tons of young talent and do a great job drafting. With a draft such as this, they have their own 1st, Devil's 1st and if they added ours.. that's another way to stock up their junior team.. plus another middle of the pack 2nd round pick.. Then they get another goaltender to bring up through the system.. Either Nabokov or Toskala will be gone.. and they could use another goalie to bring up and have for trade bait. Ryan O'Byrne would give them a monster in the future for their blueline, which I think they could benefit from.

Old
02-03-2007, 10:10 PM
Kirk Muller

What this team needs is an improvement on the blueline. Something they have desperately needed for years. While the defense is adequate defensively, there breakout plays are absolutely garbage.

The new NHL is about transition, and Markov is the only one able to make that transition work. Teams with less so called talent look better 5 on 5, and this has a lot to do with the transition game.

How many times do you see Montreal make a d to forward pass in top speed?

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
A lot of draft picks, I think.. 1st round and 2nd round this draft, Jaroslav Halak and Ryan O'Byrne. The Sharks have tons of young talent and do a great job drafting. With a draft such as this, they have their own 1st, Devil's 1st and if they added ours.. that's another way to stock up their junior team.. plus another middle of the pack 2nd round pick.. Then they get another goaltender to bring up through the system.. Either Nabokov or Toskala will be gone.. and they could use another goalie to bring up and have for trade bait. Ryan O'Byrne would give them a monster in the future for their blueline, which I think they could benefit from.
I don't think it would be enough to get a great player like Marleau.. we would need to send a Price or Kost... and I wouldn't like to do it as I don't think it's the best time to trade either of them.

I love Halak and see him as a potential future starter, but his value right now is probably lower as what it will be in a year...

Old
02-03-2007, 10:15 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
What this team needs is an improvement on the blueline. Something they have desperately needed for years. While the defense is adequate defensively, there breakout plays are absolutely garbage.

The new NHL is about transition, and Markov is the only one able to make that transition work. Teams with less so called talent look better 5 on 5, and this has a lot to do with the transition game.

How many times do you see Montreal make a d to forward pass in top speed?
I love souray.. love Markov..
Dandy does his job... so does Komisarek but still not at his prime
Rivet is far from being as good as last year.
Bouillon is deceiving.

I agree that if we could get a better d-man than Bouillon, I would be all for it. I thought that Niinimaa was the kind of d-man you're talking about... well, he WAS, but he no longer is and that's the problem

we have Matthieu Carle and David Fischer who have the potential to be that kind of player in our system.. so who knows...

that's why it's so important to resign Markov. and Souray too.. after the game vs Pittsburgh we see how much a guy like this is important to a team.