HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could The Oilers Be Sellers Come Playoff Time?

Old
02-03-2007, 12:57 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Could The Oilers Be Sellers Come Playoff Time?

Dare I say it? Could the Oilers with the vaunted offense, actually be reduced to becoming sellers if things don't turn around soon. To further the speculation, who on the Oilers would benefit other teams? Would Smyth be a worthwhile addition to any team with aspirations of a Stanley Cup? He is a UFA at seasons end. Never say never.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...6-956851959dc9

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
StreakingRed
Win For Gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
Would Smyth be a worthwhile addition to any team with aspirations of a Stanley Cup?

I think so. Ryan Smyth is the kind of player you hate to play against (especially if you're a goalie) but you'd love to have on your team. He's a gritty player who can score goals. Most of them aren't pretty but they find the back of the net. A lot of times I'm watching Flames games and wishing we had Smyth on our team when I see we have nobody in front of the net on some many of our PP's. BUt honestly, I can't see the Oilers getting rid of Smyth. He is to their team what Iginla is to ours. He's the face of their franchise.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Boston_Bruins

no, the oilers will not be sellers at the deadline

Boston_Bruins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Danny__K

vCash: 50
I think its entirely possible. the oilers play 3 of 4 at home then go on a 7 game road trip. Over those 11 games they need to go a minimum of 7-4 if not better to retain a decent change of making the playoffs. Seeing as 8 of those 11 games are on the road its a tough task.

If they were to go 5-6 or worse i think their playoff hopes will be all but shot, as right now they need to go 20-9-1 the rest of the season to hit the same 95 points which got them into the playoffs as the 8th seed last season. If they lose 6 of those 11 they're looking at 15-3-1 the rest of the way out.

So yes it is entirely possible given the oilers schedule they could be sellers come deadline time. Yes anything can happen, but looking at the scheduling i'd say the odds on the oilers making the playoffs are pretty good right now, not that it really matters for the flames though as i don't think there will be any trades between the 2 occuring.

Danny__K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:30 PM
natural420*

they could be sellers, but not big like some teams. couple guys maybe, like sykora, but i dont think smyth is going anywhere. the oilers will fold before we see smyth in another teams uniform. i'd bet smyth would take a paycut just to stay in edmonton. all power to him. but i really dont see them "selling" smyth. and sadly the oilers if they miss the playoffs will still see themselves as a playoff team and not wanna dismantle the "amazing offence" they seem to have

natural420* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2007, 07:36 PM
mac_82

I don't see the Oilers giving up on the season at the trade deadline unless something drastic happens between now and then. They will be in the hunt for the last 2 spots until the last week of the season.

mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:18 AM
Lunatik*

even if the oilers fall out i dont see them being sellers... they arent tight to the cap and Smyth is too valuabkle to their franchise to deal (he needs to be re-signed)... plus the rest of their team is young enough where they dont need to dump them to a contender... the only moves i see the Oilers making are ones that could help them make the playoffs next year

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:56 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Dare I say it? Could the Oilers with the vaunted offense, actually be reduced to becoming sellers if things don't turn around soon. To further the speculation, who on the Oilers would benefit other teams? Would Smyth be a worthwhile addition to any team with aspirations of a Stanley Cup? He is a UFA at seasons end. Never say never.

Well , actually the subject of the link you post is Smith , not Smyth . I'd say there is a good chance Smith gets moved , and a very low chance that Smyth gets moved . I don't think the Oilers are giving up any of their younger players either - except maybe Winchester , and who would be likely to want him ..... In addition to Smith , I'd guess that Sykora and Jussi are available and could attract interest .

Anyway , I just dropped by the Flames board to say that I watched the game against the whale earlier today , and you guys are looking good . As an Oiler fan , it's hard to accept the seasons Langkow and Huselius are having .... but I can't deny the numbers . Even guys like Moss are looking promising and your defence makes people I know feel sick . Hate the Flames but props to Sutter on the team he's put together this year . Just try to win with a little humility would you ..... unless you're beating the whale ... in which case feel free to rub it in .

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
abracanada

I posted the link because it spells out the trouble the Oilers may get themselves into if they don't make some moves, and improve their play.

I actually think they will sign Smyth, but it is going to cost plenty. If anything, they will likely have to pay as much for him, as anyone would. I speak from experience. People figured Iginla should sign with Calgary for less. That didn't happen and I don't think Smyth sounds like he is willing to do that either.

Old
02-04-2007, 10:46 PM
sj250

I'm surprised you guys don't know this already but Smyth was resigned already to a 5yr contract for $5 mil a season. Early last week!

sj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:50 PM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj250 View Post
I'm surprised you guys don't know this already but Smyth was resigned already to a 5yr contract for $5 mil a season. Early last week!
No, he wasn't.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
sj250

I apologize, I thought he had signed already but that is the offer on the table right now from the Oilers so I don't see him going anywhere.

sj250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:17 AM
hemmingway

Quote:

Hard to say, with the Oil currently 9th in the conference, 8 points back with 29 games still left to play. It's a little early to say that they would - but as I've been saying for the last couple of months - for the Oil this looks like it would be a good year to be a seller.

With Nashville, Anahiem, San Jose, and Calgary in the west, and Buffalo, New Jersey, and Ottawa in the east - Edmonton simply doesn't have the current talent to compete night in and night out. With a team as young and inexperienced as the Oil, I'm not sure that any more could be expected - certainly not another Cinderella run like last season.

With the current young Oilers - Hemsky, Stoll, Torres, Lupul, Smid, Greene, the core of a talented team is there. Add to that list rookie NHL players like Thoreson, Pouliot, Jacques, Gilbert, Roy, and Stortini, and prospects that include Cogliano, Chorney, Schremp, Dubynk, and JDD. Add to that the 6 (7 if the Ducks make the finals) first and second round draft picks in the next two drafts, and it's not hard to see the rebuild Edmonton is going through.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Edmonton is not talented enough to with the cup in 06-07. They'll likely be alot closer in 08-09.

If the Oilers are sellers, they could trade away any or all of Smyth, Sykora, Smith, Roloson, Markannen, Bergeron, Winchester, and Tjarqvist (if he is ever healthy again.) With this list of players, and a combination of draft picks, prospects, or young players listed above, I could see Edmonton improving it's young talent pool at the trade deadline.

I could see Smyth going to the Ducks - almost ensures that Edmonton will get the second first round pick, and makes the already difficult Ducks even harder to play against. Edmonton would likely throw in another borderline NHL'er (Winchester, perhaps) and try to pry another young player out of the Ducks.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Spawn

The Oilers could become sellers, but there aren't really that many players on the team that you would sell for young players, Sykora maybe, Tjarnqvist, maybe Smith, but other than that there really isn't anyone else. Smyth I think the Oilers will do everything they can to resign, even if they are clearly out of it, I don't see them moving Smyth. But, its definetly not time for that decision to be made. The road trip of 7 games right before the deadline will be the deciding factor, as it stands right now, the Oilers are only 6 points out of 7th/8th and have a game in hand on minny, also, they've been playing decently recently, so who knows.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 12:42 AM
abracanada

You have to wonder what the Oilers upside would be if they do make the playoffs. It may be more prudent to dump some salary and if they stumble towards the end of the season, they could pick fairly low in the draft.

Old
02-05-2007, 12:45 AM
hemmingway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The Oilers could become sellers, but there aren't really that many players on the team that you would sell for young players, Sykora maybe, Tjarnqvist, maybe Smith, but other than that there really isn't anyone else.
It's hard to say, though. Calgary traded Brett Hull for Rob Ramage - they needed Ramage to help them win the cup in 1989. Any of a number of teams could need goal scorers or role players to fill the ranks, and be willing to give up picks and prospects to get them.

I could see a team giving up a quality rookie or prospect for a player like Jason Smith, in the same vein as the Ramage trade.

Quote:
Smyth I think the Oilers will do everything they can to resign, even if they are clearly out of it, I don't see them moving Smyth.
If the negotiations go well - Smyth will stay. If it runs to the eleventh hour, and no deal is done, Lowe and company will likely trade him to a bonafide contender, in the kind of deal that sent Lowe and MacTavish to NYR to win a cup.

Quote:
But, its definetly not time for that decision to be made. The road trip of 7 games right before the deadline will be the deciding factor, as it stands right now, the Oilers are only 6 points out of 7th/8th and have a game in hand on minny, also, they've been playing decently recently, so who knows.
Yeah - this is premature - there is a lot of hockey left to play - and the one thing that can be said about such a young team - expect the unexpected.

Old
02-05-2007, 12:46 AM
The Polak*

Quote:
You have to wonder what the Oilers upside would be if they do make the playoffs. It may be more prudent to dump some salary and if they stumble towards the end of the season, they could pick fairly low in the draft.
Agreed, an 8th seed has no chance of making a splash in the playoffs. The season is already over for us.

The Polak* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 01:00 AM
hemmingway

Quote:
Hard to say.

It's likely that Anaheim will make the finals in the next two years (goaltending, defense, offense, depth, youth, cap space, and a GM that is actively trying to win it all now.) Any team in the west will likely play them in the post season.

Add to that San Jose, who are on the same clock as Calgary (win in the next two, or pay Jumbo Joe and/or Marleau) Solid goaltending tandem, solid defense, scary powerplay.

Add to that Calgary, with it's best team in 15 years, knowing that they have a year and a half to win or rebuild. With players like Kipper, Igina, Regher, and Phaneuf all up in 08/09, the Flames have to win now.

Then, a squeaker team will likely make an appearance, possibly Minnesota? Lemaire could out coach one or all of the teams above.

From all of this - I can't see Edmonton going to the cup finals this year or next.

I could, however, see them winning a cup in 2009-2010.

Old
02-05-2007, 01:32 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Polak View Post
Agreed, an 8th seed has no chance of making a splash in the playoffs. The season is already over for us.
It may not have been over when you had the likes of Pronger performing well, and you are able to pick up a Spacek and Tjarnqvist in January, or Samsonov, but you are hardly in that position this year. Or do you prognosticate some kind of miracle to occur?

Old
02-05-2007, 01:45 AM
hemmingway

Quote:
It may not have been over when you had the likes of Pronger performing well, and you are able to pick up a Spacek and Tjarnqvist in January, or Samsonov, but you are hardly in that position this year. Or do you prognosticate some kind of miracle to occur?
It's not about a miracle - it's about building a team that will win the cup. Only one team wins each year - and given the rosters, Edmonton as it sits is unlikely even to make the playoffs.

Even if they do, it's likely that a deeper, more talented team will prevail over them.

If I were a Flame fan, I'd be watching the other contending teams very closely at the trade deadline. If Edmonton is selling, it's likely that a contender is buying. In this one case, you should hope that Edmonton gets a great return on it's players.

Even without selling - Edmonton may be a contender within the next few years, from quality trades and drafting. By selling, Edmonton may push themselves from being "a" contender, to being "the" contender, in the same way that the Ducks have this season.

Old
02-05-2007, 02:19 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
It's not about a miracle - it's about building a team that will win the cup. Only one team wins each year - and given the rosters, Edmonton as it sits is unlikely even to make the playoffs.

Even if they do, it's likely that a deeper, more talented team will prevail over them.

If I were a Flame fan, I'd be watching the other contending teams very closely at the trade deadline. If Edmonton is selling, it's likely that a contender is buying. In this one case, you should hope that Edmonton gets a great return on it's players.

Even without selling - Edmonton may be a contender within the next few years, from quality trades and drafting. By selling, Edmonton may push themselves from being "a" contender, to being "the" contender, in the same way that the Ducks have this season.
If you don't have players of a very high caliber, it is a miracle. Calgary was an eight seed and went all the way, it is true. But they also had Kiprusoff standing on his head, and Iginla at his best during the playoffs. Add to that Regehr performing extremely well. And the Oilers went to the finals, but they had Pronger and other players like Peca and Roloson who elevated their game. No disrespect, but they don't have anyone like Iginla or Pronger on that squad right now.

I don't doubt that the Oilers will come back over the next few years, but you do have to admit, a run deep in the playoffs this time, would have to qualify as a long shot of epic proportions.

Old
02-05-2007, 03:05 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
If you don't have players of a very high caliber, it is a miracle. Calgary was an eight seed and went all the way, it is true. But they also had Kiprusoff standing on his head, and Iginla at his best during the playoffs. Add to that Regehr performing extremely well. And the Oilers went to the finals, but they had Pronger and other players like Peca and Roloson who elevated their game. No disrespect, but they don't have anyone like Iginla or Pronger on that squad right now.

I don't doubt that the Oilers will come back over the next few years, but you do have to admit, a run deep in the playoffs this time, would have to qualify as a long shot of epic proportions.
the Flames were the 6th seed in 03-04

Old
02-05-2007, 08:00 AM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
the Flames were the 6th seed in 03-04
Fair point. It is just that Calgary struggled to qualify for the playoffs that year and went a long way.

Old
02-05-2007, 08:11 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Fair point. It is just that Calgary struggled to qualify for the playoffs that year and went a long way.
not really... it took a while to officially clinch and they struggled with goaltending issues... but because of the tear the Oilers went on trying to make the playoffs it took longer than anticipated to clinch... they finished 5 points up on 9th (and 11 up on 10th)... which isnt alot but when the 9th seed need to leap frog 2 other teams as well you have alot more breathing room... if anything the flames were challenging for the 5th seed when the season ended (finished 3 points out of 5th)

Old
02-05-2007, 08:43 AM
abracanada

I guess my memory isn't serving me well. When I think back, the race was fairly tight, and things were not settled until the last few games just prior to the playoffs beginning. Mind you, that is normally the way it is these days.

The reason I brouht it up anyway, was that polak was being sarcastic and suggested that lower seeded teams can go a long way in the playoffs. Either way, the Flames would be a lower seeded team and they went on, but they had Iginla and Kiprusoff. The Oilers were a lower seeded team and they went on, but they had Pronger and company. The point is, if you don't have the caliber of player who can lead your team a long way, even if you qualify for the playoffs, your chances are not that great to go far. I am not saying don't try, but I am saying that if you have deficiencies (as I believe the Oilers do on defense), do you make a hail mary deal to try and go somewhere in the playoffs, (and possibly effect your teams long term abilities), or do you not make the deal, maybe move some salary to get prospects and build more slowly.

The Oilers went for it last year, but they were in a different situation. This time, if they mortgage their future, they could be sorry.

Last edited by abracanada: 02-05-2007 at 09:32 AM.