Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Collapse?

Old
02-04-2007, 01:41 AM
Lux Aurumque*

vCash: 500
Collapse?

Since the beginning of December, we've been arguably the most inconsistant team in the league, and since the new year, arguably the worst division leading team. So the question arises, what's wrong with the Thrashers?

Is it Hartley's coaching style? Kovy not having a proper center? McCarthy not being the PPQB he was supposed to be? Or even Lehtonen giving up a few too many weak goals?

I think the problem for our collapse is every single one of those, and then more. The fact that we are playing guys like deVries and Hnidy over Vitaly Vishnevski is a complete joke, it's been extremely obvious that this team misses his presence. Hartley needs to get deVries out of there and sit him in the pressbox, cause honestly, the guy is a complete joke of a player.

Heres a list of changes I propose:
- deVries out, Vishnevski in
- Reunite the Kovy-Rucchin-Metro line
- Trade for Bryan Smolinski, put him between Hossa and Kozlov
- Trade for one of Brent Sopel, Lubomir Visnovski, Brad Stuart or Sami Salo (Who, if the Canucks continue at their current rate, will not be on the market)
- If we still aren't winning, FIRE HARTLEY.

I dunno... What do you guys think we need to do?

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:52 AM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Kovy needs a playmaking center + we need to fire Hartley...

Hire a high profile coach (like that's gonna happen) and that's it...

JohnnyAppleSeed50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
gamera

Send a message via ICQ to gamera Send a message via AIM to gamera Send a message via MSN to gamera Send a message via Yahoo to gamera
well the pp worked the other night....if we would use that system (kovy along the boards more, not at the point, more movement as opposed to 4 stationary guys in a square passing the puck around...) things would be alot better

fix the pp (hell, it WAS fixed....)

very sad to see our lead diminished to 6 games....but it is still a lead....not for long if we continue this play, however

gamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:56 PM
Lux Aurumque*

It doesnt help that we have to play Buffalo, Vancouver and Calgary soon either.

Old
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
scott1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
It doesnt help that we have to play Buffalo, Vancouver and Calgary soon either.
I postedsome comments several months ago that this day would be coming. This team is not as good as people might think! Add to the suggestions to replace Sutton. Trust me on this one!!! DeVries needs to be replaced, and the team is in dire need of a centerman. There are also to many role players on this team which is going to take time to correct.

scott1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:10 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1994 View Post
I postedsome comments several months ago that this day would be coming. This team is not as good as people might think! Add to the suggestions to replace Sutton. Trust me on this one!!! DeVries needs to be replaced, and the team is in dire need of a centerman. There are also to many role players on this team which is going to take time to correct.
It takes real wisdom and vision to predict a team will go in a slump. That never happens. I do agree the defense and lack of second center is a problem.

PanniniClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 07:12 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamera View Post
well the pp worked the other night....if we would use that system (kovy along the boards more, not at the point, more movement as opposed to 4 stationary guys in a square passing the puck around...) things would be alot better

fix the pp (hell, it WAS fixed....)

very sad to see our lead diminished to 6 games....but it is still a lead....not for long if we continue this play, however
Teams have access to video and scouting reports that will cause PP success to ebb and flow. The coaching is very good in this league and it is not easy to stay a step ahead.

Old
02-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Lux Aurumque*

No, I like Sutton. He stays.

Old
02-04-2007, 07:25 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
No, I like Sutton. He stays.
You are not getting Lubo- and fire Hartley why?

Old
02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Lux Aurumque*

There's no cold hard evidence against the possibility of getting Visnovski, he's a complete retard if he wants to stay on a team as horrible as LA, I doubt he'll re-sign there.

Fire Hartley because thats what most of us here have been saying for AGES.

Old
02-04-2007, 07:37 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
There's no cold hard evidence against the possibility of getting Visnovski, he's a complete retard if he wants to stay on a team as horrible as LA, I doubt he'll re-sign there.

Fire Hartley because thats what most of us here have been saying for AGES.
Virtually every single board on HF has called for the head coach to be fired. How about paraphrasing for me why the entire board thinks Bob should be fired.( As an aside , I really do not like Bob Hartley- as a man I think he has a long way to go in regards to being one. As a coach I find him competent at worst so I would like to know why this group feels he needs to go.)

Old
02-04-2007, 07:49 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Hartley is a horrible coach. Did you see earlier in the year when he pulled Hedberg for Lehtonen in the shootout? He has horrible strategies and constantly breaks up lines as soon as they get some chemistry going (eg. the Kovalchuk-Rucchin-Metropolit line). He's constantly playing Greg deVries when we have a more useful defenseman sitting up in the pressbox, Vitaly Vishnevski. Hartley keeps trying the same old failing powerplay strategies, and the same can be said for the penalty kill.

And one last thing, why is Braydon Coburn with the Thrashers if hes not gonna be playing any games?

Old
02-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
How would you respond to the notion that you're a complete retard for staying in a city as horrible as Edmonton?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1482034.stm

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehtonen32 View Post
How would you respond to the notion that you're a complete retard for staying in a city as horrible as Edmonton?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/1482034.stm
Maybe I dont have the money to move out on my own yet? Ive already told myself that Im out of this place as soon as I get the money.

Calgary > Edmonton.

Old
02-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Quote:
Maybe I dont have the money to move out on my own yet? Ive already told myself that Im out of this place as soon as I get the money.

Calgary > Edmonton.
I was only kidding around. I've never even been to Edmonton.

I don't think Visnovsky would be a complete retard for staying in LA though, that's for sure. He's played his whole NHL career in LA, and they're building a solid base of youngsters over there.

Amen evil king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:38 PM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1994 View Post
It's also not as bad as people might think. Remeber, we're up there in the standings. With the way the schedules are set up, as long as we don't straight up @#%* the bed against the division, we'll be fine. .500, .600 hockey against the Eastern Conference will get us into the playoffs.

There are a couple of alarming things...the 3rd period breakdowns and such. The powerplay will get fixed...it was one of the most feared power plays in the league towards the beginning of the year. Kovalchuk on the point, Kovalchuk on the half boards...folks, it really doesn't matter that much. Kovy has a crazy slapshot, and if he'd stop breaking so many damned sticks, things might look a little different. Theyre getting a good amount of shots off on the power plays, goalies are just stopping them. It's a slump, they go in and out of them.

What needs to happen is one player, in my opinon Kovalchuk, needs to step up and take over this team. Every championship team in every sport has a player like that. Cam Ward for Carolina last year, St. Louis for TB the year before. Say what you want about Hossa's all around play and Kozlovs smarts or Mellanby's leadership, but it's Kovalchuk's dynamic to change a game that will bring this team far into the playoffs.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Quote:
Hartley is a horrible coach. Did you see earlier in the year when he pulled Hedberg for Lehtonen in the shootout? He has horrible strategies and constantly breaks up lines as soon as they get some chemistry going (eg. the Kovalchuk-Rucchin-Metropolit line). He's constantly playing Greg deVries when we have a more useful defenseman sitting up in the pressbox, Vitaly Vishnevski. Hartley keeps trying the same old failing powerplay strategies, and the same can be said for the penalty kill.

And one last thing, why is Braydon Coburn with the Thrashers if hes not gonna be playing any games?
He's really not that bad. Could you organize a playoff contender with 3 4th line centers, and a subpar defensive corps? He doesn't have that much to work with. Not his fault, not DW's...it costs a lot to have players like Hossa and Kovalchuk. That's why sports are such an interesting thing, to see what different coaches do with different tools. You can't paint the Mona Lisa with 3 colors...

Vish gets ripped on these boards all the time. DeVries plays good positioning, he just gets beat a lot. Vish will skate to the other side of the ice to straight up bundle somebody into the boards. While i dig the hits, this is not the ACHA...stay in position vish.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

I've figured it out... the f'ckin beaver was the problem... no more bad luck...

My new avatar for a new slate for our team...

Old
02-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Thrasher King 18*

Send a message via MSN to Thrasher King 18* Send a message via Yahoo to Thrasher King 18*
we need to rest Kari give the moose some games

Thrasher King 18* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 06:24 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Yeah, his puckhandling was way off the last game...

Old
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Im gonna change my avatar too. We haven't won many games since I switched to Bonzai.

Old
02-05-2007, 06:34 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

It might help, you never know + we need some luck badly...

Old
02-05-2007, 06:41 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Happy Marian Seems like a good choice.

Old
02-05-2007, 06:45 PM
JohnnyAppleSeed50

Beauty... I picked Iggy because he's one of my favourite players (besides Kovy, Ovy, Kovalev, Hossa)

and because he represents hockey at its finest... hard work, team play, individual excelence, strength and sportsmanship... Everything our team needs too...

I simply love the guy...

Old
02-05-2007, 07:12 PM
Whaddagoal

I do not agree with the sentiments that Hartley is a horrible or even bad coach. A few here seem to be a bit too emotionally-myopic with the recent losses. I've heard names like Hitchcock as guys that should have come to Atlanta. That's insane! Yes, Hitchcock is a great coach, but this team isn't built for him. This team is built on speed and offense. Eventhough it isn't as run-and-gun as last season, bringing another coach in outside of Hartley's offensive style would totally dismantle the team's ability at least with the current roster makeup.

The team is still near the top of the league, even with the bumps that they've had. Its not all rotten apples and oranges.

Hartley has had to consistantly to work with a thin top-end D-corp. You've got the likes of Coburn, Hnidy, McCarthy (who I'm not highly of). Exelby is X, but he's not exactly a top performer either. Havelid is great, but he is playing as a #1 guy when in reality on a great defensive team he'd be a #2 or even #3. Vishnevski is in the middle of the pack and Sutton is (I guess) the #2 on this team. There is a lot of middle-range defenders playing in roles slightly above them. They are doing OK filling in the spots, but how much more can you expect?

Hartley is also missing a top-flight center and a another high-skilled winger. Who is Kovalchuk's center? Who is his Right wing? Sometimes I wonder how Ilya is still around a point-per-game this season, but thankfully he hasn't lost his speed and ability to generate his own chances.

The Thrashers are missing a PP-QB, that is quite evident. Is that Hartley's fault? He's working with the pieces he has. People complain that Ilya's too predictable at the point. But of course he's going to put Kovy on the point. Any sane person would with a slapper and wrister he has. Kovy still finds his way to the halfboards oftentimes because of the cycling that goes on.

The only real fault I see with Hartley consistantly this season is OVERplaying Kari. Kari needs a rest, Hedberg needs in. Maybe Hartley knows something we don't. But Kari has given up some weakones lately, whether through the bad play of his own or some d-mishaps, but you need to change it up regardless.

To be honest, I'm surprised and happy that Atlanta is this far up in the standings given the roster makeup that made this season so far. The team isn't exactly deep at forward or defense. The streakiness is a pretty solid reflection, in my opinion, of the lack of depth in general. That is not to say they cannot or will not make the playoffs. They're certainly doing enouygh to keep them up above most of the others... and as long as they do that, there shouldn't be a concern. We have no idea how this team would perform if they were to get into the playoffs... but hopefully we'll find out!

Last edited by Whaddagoal: 02-05-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Whaddagoal is offline   Reply With Quote