HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"Ottawa Sun" mentions Dale Hunter and Mike Keenan

Old
02-04-2007, 09:10 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
"Ottawa Sun" mentions Dale Hunter and Mike Keenan

http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...f-3522733.html

There's a strong belief the Flyers are going to go looking for a GM to replace Paul Holmgren in the off-season. Would they bring back Mike Keenan? Many expect the exiled Florida Panthers GM to be back in an NHL front office next season. Another name surfacing for the Philadelphia position is that of London Knights owner/coach Dale Hunter ...

"You couldn't get it to look that way in a movie if you took fifty takes," Al Michaels.

"He's a winner, he's a winner, he's a winner. You won the Kentucky Derby."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUGQV3Q5K50
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
I would have no qualms with Dale Hunter at all. I've watched the job he's done here in London and it's been nothing short of phenomenal. Yes, the NHL is a big jump from junior, but I think he could pull it off. I wouldn't have Keenan as a GM, but if we could convince him to come onboard as an assistant GM or something, I could live with that.

As often as Keenan gets dumped on, he's got an excellent rep for helping young players reach their potential. I think he'd be a great guy to work with Carter, Richards, Umberger, Downie, Giroux, Pitkanen, Picard, Bartulis, etc......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:50 AM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Hunter...that's an interesting possibility.

Roger's Pancreas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 09:52 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
http://www.ottawasun.com/Sports/Hock...f-3522733.html

Another name surfacing for the Philadelphia position is that of London Knights owner/coach Dale Hunter ...
Someone hand me a gun. Now.

Dale's success in London is only partially attributed to him. Mark built the team and has done a phenomenal job. Dale is good at getting the players to play his system, I will give him that.

He rides his stars and no one else. If Dale were the Flyers coach right now, Picard would never see ice time, and Forsberg/Gagne/Knuble would play 40 minutes a night.

Last edited by CharlieGirl: 02-04-2007 at 09:57 AM.
CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:17 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post

Dale's success in London is only partially attributed to him. Mark built the team and has done a phenomenal job. Dale is good at getting the players to play his system, I will give him that.

He rides his stars and no one else. If Dale were the Flyers coach right now, Picard would never see ice time, and Forsberg/Gagne/Knuble would play 40 minutes a night.
I have no qualms with riding your stars. They're your best players. Your best players usually play the most. With that being said, Hunter isn't in the running for a coaching position, it's the GM position. And say what you want about Dale's success in London, fact is that Dale has done a tremendous job recruiting players to come here. He's also helped recruit a tremendous coaching and scouting staff. Yes, Mark has done his share, but Dale has been the prominent face in everything.

I for one would welcome Dale onboard. I think he's exactly what the franchise needs - a fresh face and a different set of eyes that has no affiliation within the franchise. It's a perfect mix.

Old
02-04-2007, 12:25 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I for one would welcome Dale onboard. I think he's exactly what the franchise needs - a fresh face and a different set of eyes that has no affiliation within the franchise. It's a perfect mix.
if they want to hire him as Asst. GM, i'm fine with that, but i'd rather have someone with experience in a NHL front office. i think you're at a huge disadvantage in dealing with other clubs if you're not used to being in on the decision making level...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 12:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
if they want to hire him as Asst. GM, i'm fine with that, but i'd rather have someone with experience in a NHL front office. i think you're at a huge disadvantage in dealing with other clubs if you're not used to being in on the decision making level...
To a certain extent, I agree with what your saying. At the same time, if the alternates are guys like Keenan, Campbell, etc....then Hunter wouldn't really be that bad of a choice. Now, if the organization is looking at someone like Jim Nill in Detroit or Lou's right hand man in New Jersey, David Conte, then Hunter should not be a consideration. Those are the two I'm hoping the Flyers will interview for the GM position.

Old
02-04-2007, 12:46 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I would have no qualms with Dale Hunter at all. I've watched the job he's done here in London and it's been nothing short of phenomenal. Yes, the NHL is a big jump from junior, but I think he could pull it off. I wouldn't have Keenan as a GM, but if we could convince him to come onboard as an assistant GM or something, I could live with that.

As often as Keenan gets dumped on, he's got an excellent rep for helping young players reach their potential. I think he'd be a great guy to work with Carter, Richards, Umberger, Downie, Giroux, Pitkanen, Picard, Bartulis, etc......
would love to have him as coach. thought I read soemwhere Snider offered him the coaching job but he wanted the gm job as well so Snider turned him down.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:15 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
would love to have him as coach. thought I read soemwhere Snider offered him the coaching job but he wanted the gm job as well so Snider turned him down.
You don't see a problem with a coach that has been employed by seven different franchises in 18 years?

Old
02-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post

Haha, my first thought was a quote from the movie The Big Bounce:

"There has got to be a gun around here somewhere"

If this were true, our first order of business is to buy that man a new ****ing suit jacket.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 01:47 PM
i am dave

I think it's a time for "fresh" eyes with the "new school" of thought. If it were 5 years ago, maybe. I'm intrigued with the thought of Don Luce as the next GM.

i am dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 02:07 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
You don't see a problem with a coach that has been employed by seven different franchises in 18 years?
no, as a coach he would be fine.

Old
02-04-2007, 02:23 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
no, as a coach he would be fine.
Quote:
Sources told the Sun's Bruce Garrioch that the duo had been at odds for at least a year over Panthers' personnel decisions.
Quote:
Keenan reportedly was unpopular with players and the training staff, who objected to his style of motivating through intimidation.
Quote:
But when Keenan was fired, two and a half years later, in December 1996, his imprint on the Blues resembled a scorched earth.
And if you're still not convinced...article

-------------------------------------------------------------

Keenan is a cancer who should be kept as far as possible from the youth Bobby Clarke helped acquire.

Old
02-04-2007, 03:01 PM
vadvlfan

As a devil fan i would love to see keenan as flyer GM. The chawade would continue.
Iron mike=milbury. perfect for broad street!

vadvlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:07 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by vadvlfan View Post
As a devil fan i would love to see keenan as flyer GM. The chawade would continue.
Iron mike=milbury. perfect for broad street!
no one is Milbury... no one is even close.

Old
02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
BringBackStevens

I'll pass on keenan

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:16 PM
RoDu

Keenan is a has been

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 505
I wonder how many franchises Mike Keenan will ruin before he stops getting jobs.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 03:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I wonder how many franchises Mike Keenan will ruin before he stops getting jobs.
see... watch him get hired as Bettman's replacement... then you're going to regret saying that.

Old
02-04-2007, 03:59 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger's Pancreas View Post
And if you're still not convinced...article

-------------------------------------------------------------

Keenan is a cancer who should be kept as far as possible from the youth Bobby Clarke helped acquire.
it is more from a personal standpoint that he has made questionable decisions. I want no part of him as a gm. he is tough, no doubt but he is a winner. Considering what is out there and what is available would not be bad for a few years. Burns, sure, any of the sutters are not realistic IMO unless it is Ron, what is he doing anyway? Unless they go they route they did when they hired keenan the first time, a young up and comer form juniors. I have no idea who that could/would be though.

Old
02-04-2007, 04:04 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1946
Does anyone have opinions on a possible acquisition of Fedotenko (same article posted above)?

C Vaclav Prospal had a heart-to-heart chat with coach John Tortorella last week to try to keep the Bolts from trading him. That hasn't stopped talk that Tampa might ship him to the Windy City in a deal involving G Nikolai Khabibulin. Tampa continues to try to move LW Ruslan Fedotenko. The Flyers, Wings, Leafs and Canucks are interested.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Jester

Quote:
Does anyone have opinions on a possible acquisition of Fedotenko (same article posted above)?

C Vaclav Prospal had a heart-to-heart chat with coach John Tortorella last week to try to keep the Bolts from trading him. That hasn't stopped talk that Tampa might ship him to the Windy City in a deal involving G Nikolai Khabibulin. Tampa continues to try to move LW Ruslan Fedotenko. The Flyers, Wings, Leafs and Canucks are interested.
well... he's a UFA next year i believe.

would depend on the price (obviously), i wouldn't mind having Rusty around.

Old
02-04-2007, 04:10 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:

I'd be thrilled to have ruslan for our 3rd/2nd line LW next season. He can shoot, skate, and plays smart. Add that he would come cheaply

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
FearTheFlyers

Dale Hunter is a very very good coach, in my opinion.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2007, 04:42 PM
Dykhuis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz View Post
I'd be thrilled to have ruslan for our 3rd/2nd line LW next season. He can shoot, skate, and plays smart. Add that he would come cheaply
If I were Tampa, I'd ask for no less than:
Pitkanen
for
Fedotenko and two 2nds

Dykhuis26 is offline   Reply With Quote