HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
03-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Foy

vCash: 500
Top 10things to do?

1. Air and Space Museum
2. Find a Rita's Flavored Ice.
3. Eat a 5 Guys Hamburger
4. Watch a hockey game at Bugsy's
5. Arlington National Cemetery.
6. National History Museum
7. Natural History Museum
8. If the Weather is nice, Thomas Jefferson Memorial/Lincoln Memorial/tidal basin.
9. The Capitol building
10. National Archives.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2009, 10:23 PM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Top 10things to do?

1. Air and Space Museum
2. Find a Rita's Flavored Ice.
3. Eat a 5 Guys Hamburger
4. Watch a hockey game at Bugsy's
5. Arlington National Cemetery.
6. National History Museum
7. Natural History Museum
8. If the Weather is nice, Thomas Jefferson Memorial/Lincoln Memorial/tidal basin.
9. The Capitol building
10. National Archives.
If you're a movie fan go to Georgetown and check out the Exorcist Steps on M Street by the Key Bridge.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 05:38 PM
IndyDave

My 13 year-old and I are coming to DC for the Frozen Four. Since it is his Spring Break from school we are coming in early on Saturday the 4th. Want to catch the Nats-Orioles exhibition game that night as well as the Caps - Thrashers on Sunday the 5th (and just got tix the Phillies-Braves on the 8th).

I see the 5th is the last home game. Do the Caps do anything special on that night? I know we have been to a few last games for the Blue Jackets and they usually go out (which is what a team that has never made the playoffs does).

Also - looking for some input on ticket options - we prefer the corners, ends. How are the Loge Preferred seats that I see on Stubhub? At one end there seems to be a lower and an upper in the Loge? How high is the Mezzanine (I am sure we will be up there for the Frozen Four - not enough points).

Would like to keep the ticket price at $80 each or lower.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

IndyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2009, 06:08 PM
sk84fun_dc

The Sunday April 5th game is a day game, it is scheduled for 3pm.

Yes, the Caps do the fan appreciation day last regular season stuff similar to other teams...it has varied a little over the years, but the basics are...jerseys off the backs of the players, other giveaways announced by specific seat, and there is a promotional giveaway (a beach towel) that day, too, as fans enter the arena.

In terms of seating, there is loge preferred seating (lower level behind the preferred seating) on both ends of the arena. link to seating chart If you like the ends and don't mind the nets, they are not bad seats. Personally, I like to be above the glass. It varies by section, don't know what row to recommend to be above the glass on the ends. In the lower level closer to center ice, I recommend row N or higher. The loge sections (as labeled on the seating chart) will be above the glass.

IMO, the Mezzanine level isn't bad at Verizon Center. But it depends on the person what reaction you will get to the question about the upper level. I have watched games from all over the arena, as recently as the playoffs and this season... pros and cons to different areas, but in general the upper level isn't bad.

By the way, the Caps shoot twice at the end with sections 105/106. The benches are on the section 100 side, penalty boxes on the section 111 side.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Hey Caps fans,

Coming up for the Carolina game on March 14th. I have a quick question. I am about to buy some tickets for section 421 on Stub Hub. I noticed the face value of the corner tickets is $30 while the endzone tickets are $40. This is the opposite of most other buildings I've seen, and I've always found the corner seats to be much better than the endzones. Is there something I don't know about that explains why the corners are the cheapest? Thanks.

03-03-2009, 04:06 PM
sikosmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleCooper View Post
Hey Caps fans,

Coming up for the Carolina game on March 14th. I have a quick question. I am about to buy some tickets for section 421 on Stub Hub. I noticed the face value of the corner tickets is $30 while the endzone tickets are $40. This is the opposite of most other buildings I've seen, and I've always found the corner seats to be much better than the endzones. Is there something I don't know about that explains why the corners are the cheapest? Thanks.
Nope, the corner seats rock. I very much prefer them to end seats, but that's just my opinion. Enjoy the game!

sikosmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2009, 04:25 PM
JeffYear92*

Has anyone ever gone to a georgetown baseball game???

JeffYear92* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 09:43 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

Playoff Tickets?

I will be in town from April 14-17 (in Reston, VA for work). Assuming the Caps keep home ice advantage, I should be able to go to a playoff game.

When do tickets go on sale? How far is the arena from where I am at. I won't have a car, so I will need a taxi. is it easy to find taxi's back after the game?

Thanks

Vatali

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
CapsIntensity68

I grew up in Reston and while I'm away most of the year for school, my parents still live there so when I'm home on breaks that's where I am. Depending on traffic and day of the week Reston is about a 35-40 minute drive to DC. When I drive into the city I go Route 7 to the Toll Road to I-66 into DC (75 cents in tolls each way) or I take Reston Pkwy to the Toll Road to I-66 ($1.25 in tolls each way).

Another option is to take the Fairfax Connector bus from one of the several Reston Park and Ride bus stations to West Falls Church Metro stop and then take the Orange Line into DC. I haven't done that lately but I believe bus fares are about $1.25 and then it would probably cost between $5-$6 in metro fares to get to Verizon Center. Since you'll be without a car this might be the way to go for getting to the game, it would also allow you to avoid driving and trying to find parking in DC which can be challenging if you arn't familiar with the streets around the arena. However, after the game you might have some issues getting back because I'm not sure what time the Fairfax Connector buses stop running (perhaps a friend or co-worker could pick you up, or better yet get two tickets and go with someone local who can do all the driving!) Whatever you do, don't take a taxi from Reston to DC or DC to Reston, the fare would be insane!

I'm not sure when playoff tickets go on sale, I believe last year they began to sell them as soon as the Caps secured a playoff bid which was the very last game of the year. I remember hearing that alot of people went straight to the box office once the game was over to buy playoff tickets. I would keep a very close eye on the Caps website or call the ticket reps who work at the Caps offices in Arlington. One issue this year will be the huge increase in full season ticket holders who have the first right to buy their regular seats for the playoffs. There might be very little available for public purchase and you might have to end up turning to eBay, Craigslist, StubHub, etc. I've never scalped in DC, and while it's possible to do if you are sneaky, there's a good chance you could get busted also.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your time in the DC area.

CapsIntensity68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:23 AM
BTD5504

i don't think they have had individual game tix go on sale yet, and i haven't heard much about it yet to be honest.

and i would take the metro instead of cabs. it's cheaper and you it's pretty reliable. it will be crowded though, especially after a playoff game.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
BTD5504

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsIntensity68 View Post
I grew up in Reston and while I'm away most of the year for school, my parents still live there so when I'm home on breaks that's where I am. Depending on traffic and day of the week Reston is about a 35-40 minute drive to DC. When I drive into the city I go Route 7 to the Toll Road to I-66 into DC (75 cents in tolls each way) or I take Reston Pkwy to the Toll Road to I-66 ($1.25 in tolls each way).

Another option is to take the Fairfax Connector bus from one of the several Reston Park and Ride bus stations to West Falls Church Metro stop and then take the Orange Line into DC. I haven't done that lately but I believe bus fares are about $1.25 and then it would probably cost between $5-$6 in metro fares to get to Verizon Center. Since you'll be without a car this might be the way to go for getting to the game, it would also allow you to avoid driving and trying to find parking in DC which can be challenging if you arn't familiar with the streets around the arena. However, after the game you might have some issues getting back because I'm not sure what time the Fairfax Connector buses stop running (perhaps a friend or co-worker could pick you up, or better yet get two tickets and go with someone local who can do all the driving!) Whatever you do, don't take a taxi from Reston to DC or DC to Reston, the fare would be insane!

I'm not sure when playoff tickets go on sale, I believe last year they began to sell them as soon as the Caps secured a playoff bid which was the very last game of the year. I remember hearing that alot of people went straight to the box office once the game was over to buy playoff tickets. I would keep a very close eye on the Caps website or call the ticket reps who work at the Caps offices in Arlington. One issue this year will be the huge increase in full season ticket holders who have the first right to buy their regular seats for the playoffs. There might be very little available for public purchase and you might have to end up turning to eBay, Craigslist, StubHub, etc. I've never scalped in DC, and while it's possible to do if you are sneaky, there's a good chance you could get busted also.

Hope this helps, and enjoy your time in the DC area.
the bolded portion isn't really true. i've never once seen somebody get busted scalping tix for caps games, and i have done so on a few occasions this year.

i did hear though, that last year for the playoffs, everybody scalping tickets outside were arrested (or told to leave, not sure which). this actually caused a lot of pissed off fans b/c they couldn't get tickets from scalpers which they usually can with ease. don't know what it will be this year for the playoffs.

personally, i think that if you allow them to do it all year, why would you take that away from them once the playoffs come around? makes no sense.

BTD5504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatali View Post
I will be in town from April 14-17 (in Reston, VA for work). Assuming the Caps keep home ice advantage, I should be able to go to a playoff game.

When do tickets go on sale? How far is the arena from where I am at. I won't have a car, so I will need a taxi. is it easy to find taxi's back after the game?

Thanks

Vatali
I cannot imagine getting a taxi each way to the game. I drive to all the games from Reston, and it's a hour ride in, and a 30 minute ride back. You'd probably end up spending more on the Cab ride than on the game itself.

Old
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's easy to get a cab, but I would bet you're looking at like a $75 cab ride from DC to Reston. Better to catch a cab to the metro I think.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2009, 07:11 PM
JeffYear92*

hey guys i just got back from my trip

wow,what a great city

i was able to see everything in a short period of time,

the comments about the city

the metro subway was amazing compared to toronto,the metro was cheaper,and much cleaner,and came more often

all the memorials-wow,i wished i lived in washington

the people were very nice,i was lost a few times and i would go up to random people and they led us always in the right direction

all the smithoisans were great-my favourite was the american history,the last floor caught my eye,with all the lincolin stuff

we're able to check out pentagon city mall which was great and huge

georgetown-i compared this to soho but a lot cleaner than soho

my questions about the city

why does all stores close at 6?

why are there so few places to eat in washington?..me and my dad spent 20 minutes a night,trying to find resturants and ended up going into georgetown

I cant wait to go back in the fall

Washington was unreal!!!

Old
03-19-2009, 08:13 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
As far as restaurants they tend to be grouped in sort of the night life type areas. Gtown, dupont circle, adams morgan, china town, et al.

03-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Foy

DC is very much grouped by areas. In business areas, there are tons of office buildings and restaurants that close at 5. In more nightlifey areas, there are tons and tons of restaurants lumped together.

The National History museum is brand new, opened last November. It's one of my favorites, and it sucked having to put up without it for a couple of years, but it's pretty nice having it back. When I was there, not everything was open yet. Oh, and don't wear a skirt in there, there are a couple of places where there are glass staircases where people can walk underneath you.

Old
03-20-2009, 12:00 AM
JeffYear92*

Quote:
DC is very much grouped by areas. In business areas, there are tons of office buildings and restaurants that close at 5. In more nightlifey areas, there are tons and tons of restaurants lumped together.

The National History museum is brand new, opened last November. It's one of my favorites, and it sucked having to put up without it for a couple of years, but it's pretty nice having it back. When I was there, not everything was open yet. Oh, and don't wear a skirt in there, there are a couple of places where there are glass staircases where people can walk underneath you.
the glass staircases scared the **** out of me for some reason, it just didnt feel right,,the holocaust Museum was all glass staircases when you were switching floors

Old
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

I tried to pick up Playoff tickets on the internet presale when they went on sale this morning at 10am, But at 10:15 they were sold out of tickets for games 1 and 2. This really sucks, I have not missed a caps playoff game since 2000 and it really bugs me i cant get tickets to the game. It just makes me sick that all these new caps fans get to watch us in the playoffs, and I have to sit at home and watch on TV. I hope somehow I can still score some tickets.

edit: IM going to be really mad when I see people putting them up for sale at 2 or 3x face

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:43 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
I tried to pick up Playoff tickets on the internet presale when they went on sale this morning at 10am, But at 10:15 they were sold out of tickets for games 1 and 2. This really sucks, I have not missed a caps playoff game since 2000 and it really bugs me i cant get tickets to the game. It just makes me sick that all these new caps fans get to watch us in the playoffs, and I have to sit at home and watch on TV. I hope somehow I can still score some tickets.

edit: IM going to be really mad when I see people putting them up for sale at 2 or 3x face
1,000+ tickets are already on stubhub for game 1 alone. That is just ludicrous.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

they only had like 2-3k to sell anyhow.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:11 PM
Foy

Just goes to show how many ticket brokers there out there. It's disgusting.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
its capitalism. it cant possibly fail, can it?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Foy

If people are desperate for tickets, go look at stubhub. By the time you factor in ticketbastard's fees, the prices on Stubhub are very comparable.

Old
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
If people are desperate for tickets, go look at stubhub. By the time you factor in ticketbastard's fees, the prices on Stubhub are very comparable.
Stubhub charges 15% on top of the listed price.

It's such a stupid system. The consumer gets screwed and the owners get screwed (by leaving millions of dollars on the table). Everyone loses. You'd think they would fix it by now.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2009, 02:35 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Stubhub charges 15% on top of the listed price.

It's such a stupid system. The consumer gets screwed and the owners get screwed (by leaving millions of dollars on the table). Everyone loses. You'd think they would fix it by now.
agreed completely.