HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Gettysburg? That's not really close. The best local food chain is 5 Guys. Good museums are the air and space and natural history. They just reopened the american history museum in the last year, and it's pretty cool but super amazing. If you are into history of that era, I would recommend the National Cemetery in Arlington
5 guys is a national chain....well at least not local.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
5 guys is a national chain....well at least not local.
First, and only location for decades was in Northern VA. It's still considered a local chain because the vast majority of their stores are in this area. They've only moved off the DC area in the last 5 years.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
First, and only location for decades was in Northern VA. It's still considered a local chain because the vast majority of their stores are in this area. They've only moved off the DC area in the last 5 years.
5 guys is in more than 25 states...but whatever.

Old
07-12-2009, 01:08 AM
Kegger

vCash: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2010 View Post
5 guys is in more than 25 states...but whatever.
MMMMM...five guys!

Kegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 03:48 AM
LadyIce

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
Hey Caps fans, me and some of my friends are taking a trip to the Capital next weekend and I was hoping for any advice on places to go. We're already doing most of the popular (free) stuff like the Air and Space, Library of Congress, war memorials, history museums, Gettysburg, so on and so forth. Are there any places you guys can recommend that are off the beaten path, or any places that are absolutely packed with tourists in the summer? Can you recommend any good cheap food joints and maybe one or two higher-end restaurants?

Thanks in advance.
One place no one really considers is The National Cathedral. The architecture is incredible and if you go in and see the windows, you can see one with a piece of moon rock. From the tour I took there years ago, I remember them saying the main aisle is 1/4 mile long!

Another off the beaten path place is the C&O Canal tour. The boat departs from Georgetown and the trip last about an hour. Also in Georgetown you can see the "Exorcist Steps" that were seen in the movie.

If you want something really off the beaten path then there's the National Arboretum. There you can see the National Capitol Columns that are located there.

As far as restaurants, for inexpensive, other than the typical fast food places, there's Five Guys and the Greene Turtle by the Verizon Center. If you go there, head over to the National Building Museum. It used to be the US Pension Building built in the 1880s. It's one of the sites used for Inaugural Balls. The architecture inside and out is really interesting. It's worth it to see the massive columns inside.

For higher end restaurants, other than Ruth's Chris and Morton's there's The District Chop House. It's a little more casual than the other two. In the same vicinity is Clyde's.

LadyIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2009, 12:39 PM
yay

One other inexpensive place to eat that is really a bit of a treat is Ben's Chili Bowl. Quickly becoming a local legend.

I just tried it out for the first time early last season, and it became pre-game staple for me.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 09:53 PM
truepantherfan55

Ovechkin fan visitng your arena and state

hello caps fans, iam a florida panther fan thats a big follower of your team and of course a die hard Ovechkin fan. Iam planning a trip to Maryland to visit my girls mom and its a great chance to catch a caps game on my visit. ( Dont worry iam gonna be wearing my Ovechkin sweater, even thou iam gonna catch my panthers playing your caps that weekend). lol i wont disrespect a die hards home with the visitors sweater, that's a big no-no down here in sunrise. lol.

Is it difficuilt to purchase tickets over there, and does your arena allow fans to get a closer look to the pre-game skate up against the glass..........any advise will be helpful. thanks/. , and good luck this season.

truepantherfan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:03 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by truepantherfan55 View Post
hello caps fans, iam a florida panther fan thats a big follower of your team and of course a die hard Ovechkin fan. Iam planning a trip to Maryland to visit my girls mom and its a great chance to catch a caps game on my visit. ( Dont worry iam gonna be wearing my Ovechkin sweater, even thou iam gonna catch my panthers playing your caps that weekend). lol i wont disrespect a die hards home with the visitors sweater, that's a big no-no down here in sunrise. lol.

Is it difficuilt to purchase tickets over there, and does your arena allow fans to get a closer look to the pre-game skate up against the glass..........any advise will be helpful. thanks/. , and good luck this season.
Hard to say how much difficulty you'll have getting tickets. Depends who they're playing and when the game is.

Fans are allowed to get close to the glass for warm ups.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2009, 11:54 PM
tim

vCash: 50
They'll have something like 2000 individual tickets on sale for each game, so pay attention and you should be fine.

Beyond that, it'll be a division game, which usually draw the smallest crowds (no offense). Purchasing via stubhub or another service would work as well. Generally speaking, I don't sit low so I don't know the exact rules for standing at the glass, but they do let fans go up there prior to the game - a lower level ticket is probably required though.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2009, 06:21 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
They'll have something like 2000 individual tickets on sale for each game, so pay attention and you should be fine.

Beyond that, it'll be a division game, which usually draw the smallest crowds (no offense). Purchasing via stubhub or another service would work as well. Generally speaking, I don't sit low so I don't know the exact rules for standing at the glass, but they do let fans go up there prior to the game - a lower level ticket is probably required though.
Unless they change the rules for this season, a lower level ticket is NOT required.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 03:46 PM
yay

Not a visitor, but I figured I'd put this question into this thread for consistency and info for those out of towners.

I keep being told by friends, group sales reps, and via questionable wording in press releases that every game is completely sold out this year. No way that is true, right? They still haven't opened individual game tickets for sale, if I'm not mistaken...

Does anyone know if they've announced a date yet?

Thanks all. Got a group sales rep trying to tell my girlfriend that the only way to go to any games this year is to buy a 5 game plan and to do it by tomorrow COB or it'll be gone...

Old
07-28-2009, 04:12 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopy17 View Post
Not a visitor, but I figured I'd put this question into this thread for consistency and info for those out of towners.

I keep being told by friends, group sales reps, and via questionable wording in press releases that every game is completely sold out this year. No way that is true, right? They still haven't opened individual game tickets for sale, if I'm not mistaken...

Does anyone know if they've announced a date yet?

Thanks all. Got a group sales rep trying to tell my girlfriend that the only way to go to any games this year is to buy a 5 game plan and to do it by tomorrow COB or it'll be gone...
Believe em....they're close to maxing out...

Old
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

There are always same day sales, of a modest amount. The Caps also don't sell the 200 level, which is handled by the building and usually bundled in year-long corporate packages for all events in the building.

What is gone, or about to be gone, is the ability to sign up for any kind of season or partial ticket package. For example, I have often called up the Caps in late October or early November and bought some pro-rated season's tickets. That won't be an option this year.

No team in the league is truly sold out all year long. There are always seats set aside and not sold during the offseason. What is sold out or just about sold out is the full complement of tickets set aside for the season ticket and partial season ticket packages, 11-game, five-game plans. They have threatened to do away with some of the partial packages offered, because they no longer have to do so. They no longer have to sell someone tickets to the two Buffalo games, or the two Pittsburgh games. They can bundle the game in season's ticket packages. Basically, the Caps are a hot ticket, and no longer have to go around, hat in hand.

Now that said, you probably don't have a hope in hell of walking up and buying a ticket on game day during the season. Those tickets go awfully quickly. You will be able to buy seats from Ticketmaster, which will have already bought up batches of what is now a hot ticket for later re-sale.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 04:16 PM
LSF76

I thought they hold some seats in reserve to sell individually...?

LSF76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 05:51 PM
yay

Thanks for the answers...

What I always remember from the past is a date usually just prior to the pre-season where they open up all games for individual ticket sales. Now, whether those seats are 'held in reserve' for individual tickets or leftover (unsold) season ticket seats, I don't know.

(I'm talking about Ticketmaster, not walk up - I know better than that this year).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim
This is kind of what I was thinking, and talking about above. If capacity is 18,277, and 12,000 full season ticket packages leaves over 6 grand for partial plans, group sales, giveaways and what have you... Are they ALL allocated already?

Old
09-01-2009, 02:20 PM
RNCDevil

Ladies and Gentlemen, I was wondering if a helpful Caps fan would lend his or her thoughts on obtaining sub $50 tickets for the 2/7/2010 Caps Pens game. I will be traveling south with my wife to treat her brother who is attending American University. I need four tickets and some quick web surfing has turned up $58 or above for the 4## sections. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

RNC

RNCDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNCDevil View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen, I was wondering if a helpful Caps fan would lend his or her thoughts on obtaining sub $50 tickets for the 2/7/2010 Caps Pens game. I will be traveling south with my wife to treat her brother who is attending American University. I need four tickets and some quick web surfing has turned up $58 or above for the 4## sections. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

RNC
You most likely won't get tickets for under $50 for a Caps Pens game.

Old
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

About the size of it. Most expensive hockey ticket in town. You'll find it only through re-sellers and scalpers, none of whom will be motivated to sell that particular game for a reasonable price until halfway through the first period. Good luck, but save up would be my advice.

Caps tickets in general are in high demand now, seasons' tickets are sold out, and there is a wait list for seasons' tickets beginning to percolate. Even in that climate, a Capitals-Penguins game will be a big draw.

You might want to consider taking the clan to a Caps game against other another opponent. Re-seller prices will be more reasonable.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Foy

Stub hub has the cheapest tickets available for that game right now at $58 + fees.

Old
09-01-2009, 03:51 PM
sk84fun_dc

As a follow-up to that question, the Caps are using tiered pricing again this season for gate ticket prices. Last season there were 2 tiers, this season there are 3. No surprise that the 2 Penguins games are in the highest tier again. And what does this mean as it relates to that question, the lowest gate price ticket for that game is $65 (mezzanine corner) before the extra charges.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 05:00 PM
The Dude

Quote:
You most likely won't get tickets for under $50 for a Caps Pens game.
Agreed. Your best bet will be keeping a close eye on Craig's List and hoping you get lucky.

The Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2009, 06:08 PM
RNCDevil

Thanks everyone. I guess it's back to the blood bank. Good luck this season to y'all.

RNCDevil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2009, 12:58 AM
CapsIntensity68

Another poster is right, if you see tickets for $58 plus some fees for a Caps vs. Pens game BUY THEM, (assuming the fees aren't insane) that's LESS than the cheapest face value for those games. In regards to the ticket tiers this year, weekday games against sub-par opponents are going to be the cheapest. All weekend games are middle and high tiers, games against "rivals" or other big time teams (Wings) are the high tier no matter what day of the week.

CapsIntensity68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2009, 11:06 AM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsIntensity68 View Post
Another poster is right, if you see tickets for $58 plus some fees for a Caps vs. Pens game BUY THEM, (assuming the fees aren't insane) that's LESS than the cheapest face value for those games. In regards to the ticket tiers this year, weekday games against sub-par opponents are going to be the cheapest. All weekend games are middle and high tiers, games against "rivals" or other big time teams (Wings) are the high tier no matter what day of the week.
ya, if you got 4 together anywhere for a pens/caps game for that you could make a pretty good profit the week of the game. Assuming at least one of the teams plays to its potential this season.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Epoch

Hey guys,

How fast do you think tickets for the home opener vs. the Leafs will go tomorrow morning? Within 10 minutes?

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote