HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
09-28-2009, 07:06 AM
tim

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikosmurf View Post
Fun fact, I called about signing up for the "wait list" and they said that there actually is no "wait list", just a list of over 3000 people who would be interested if there were a waitlist. Kind of annoying that they can't get their crap together enough to have an official waiting list...
When did you call? I remember being put on a list to contact about getting on the real waiting list with the salesman stating they would have it running in early August. I called back late August only to be told no list exists yet.

Here we are a few days from October and again, I've yet to be contacted.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 07:11 AM
tim

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
Me and the girlfriend just snagged two tix off of Stubhub. So we're all set. Now it's time to figure out the DC Metro since we're staying in Alexandria.
I don't know Alexandria well, but it appears you should be able to take the yellow line straight to Gallery Place/Chinatown.

Quote:
I had no idea the ticket situation was like that and that's awful for you guys.
Teddy's just trying to make a profit. Can't blame 'em.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Foy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Me and the girlfriend just snagged two tix off of Stubhub. So we're all set. Now it's time to figure out the DC Metro since we're staying in Alexandria.

I had no idea the ticket situation was like that and that's awful for you guys.

The Devils are a business through and through. Because of how awesome a business man our owner is, ten people could show up per game and the Devils would still turn a profit. So tickets are still expensive as hell.
It's all about lease agreements. The Devils get every last penny from concessions parking, and make a profit from Seton Hall basketball.

The Caps get less than 5% of all concessions and parking, don't get to sell club and luxury seats (the building owns those) and can't make their money there. The Devils also have ridiculously high prices in most of the building (I paid $100 a ticket upstairs for a game last year), but make enough "other" money to turn a profit. The Caps could sell out every game and would still lose money due to that lease agreement and the way Abe set it up when he first built then MCI center.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 08:53 AM
njdevil26

Yeah, I agree with you. When the Devils were at Continental Airlines Arena, they lost a lot of money. The entire lower bowl was 90$ per seat. The luxury boxes were crap and the upper level was still 70,65,50,25.

They wanted to have control of everything in the arena and they do which is why they make a lot of money. That's why we are trying to get the Nets to move to Newark instead of Brooklyn. The Devils would make out great in that deal.

Yeah I know where you sat if you paid 100 to sit upstairs. I mean, the seats are still really good. But don't you feel like you're on the top of a mountain? That place is steeeeep.

Parking in the lot right next to the building is 30$. The other lots are 25$, 20$, and 15$.

Beer is 9.25. A slice of pizza (once slice!) is 5.75.

This year though, the Devils have a new marketing guy and he really is going crazy. There are so many new ticket plans. Buy 8 games for the price of 6.... 7 for the price of 5. Tickets with free beer vouchers (only one free beer, let's not get crazy).

And the NHL was kind to us now that we have at least 20 home games on Fridays and Saturdays.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:49 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
I don't know Alexandria well, but it appears you should be able to take the yellow line straight to Gallery Place/Chinatown.
I was trying to navigate the DC Metro site. But it was telling me that there are no train schedules available for that day and so on (December 26) Maybe it's just not up yet? I don't know. I was trying to figure out how often they run and how much they cost and stuff like that.

Old
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I was trying to navigate the DC Metro site. But it was telling me that there are no train schedules available for that day and so on (December 26) Maybe it's just not up yet? I don't know. I was trying to figure out how often they run and how much they cost and stuff like that.
Where in Alexandria are you staying?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:56 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
It likely has to do with how far out that date is. You could use the Friday or Saturday after Thanksgiving as substitute dates to get an idea of the schedule. The 26th is a Saturday so looking up any Saturday schedule should do, fwiw. There is also a one day pass that is valid on weekdays after 9am and on weekends and holidays. Not worth it if you are simply going to the game and returning, but if you plan to make a long day of it in the city, it is worth doing the math and deciding whether the pass is worth it.

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
yay

Quote:
In general, trains run every 5-10 minutes through there on a Saturday. So you don't really need to worry too much about a schedule. (Braddock Rd. or King Street stations most likely.)

I think Saturdays are 'reduced fare' time (ie, not peak), in which case you're looking at $1.85/person each way for either of the above stations.

Note that both of those stations are above ground, outside and exposed - dress warmly.

yay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 10:16 AM
njdevil26

Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah the DC Metro is cheap! Much better than what we pay here in North Jersey/NYC for getting around.

In Alexandria (this won't be the first time I've been there) we will be staying at the Old Town Hilton.

Old
09-28-2009, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Thanks for the tips guys. Yeah the DC Metro is cheap! Much better than what we pay here in North Jersey/NYC for getting around.

In Alexandria (this won't be the first time I've been there) we will be staying at the Old Town Hilton.
Ok, so you'll be right next to the King St. metro station. As has been said, it's $1.85 each way, and the trains should come every 10 minutes or so. You'll be taking the Yellow line towards Mt. Vernon Sq or Ft. Totten (the final station varies based on time of day/other factors) and you'll get off at the Gallery Place/Chinatown stop. Verizon Center is directly above the Gallery Place/Chinatown stop, so there's virtually no walk.

Old
09-28-2009, 04:57 PM
dpj0122

Any bar can be a hockey bar. There is a Thai Restaurant on Columbia Pike in Arlington that has a separate bar and the regulars always make sure the Caps game is on one of the televisions. More comfortable that most sports bars and the food is better too.

dpj0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2009, 04:58 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpj0122 View Post
Any bar can be a hockey bar. There is a Thai Restaurant on Columbia Pike in Arlington that has a separate bar and the regulars always make sure the Caps game is on one of the televisions. More comfortable that most sports bars and the food is better too.
I assume you are referring to Rincome Thai.

Old
10-13-2009, 10:27 AM
Lost Kangaroo

Tix for SJ game

I will be in town visiting a friend and would like to take him to the Game Thur night. Do you guys usualy sell out weekday games, or will I be able to get tickets at the box office? Or if anyone has tix and cant attend, I would be willing to buy. Also, is there a good Caps bar down town near the Arena. Thanks.
Didnt see a ticket exchange thread. If there is one, my apologies.

Lost Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Dan Watkins

Hey, I've got three right now for face value if you were interested. Looks like I won't be able to make it because of class. Shoot me a message if your interested.

Dan Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 11:22 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Kangaroo View Post
I will be in town visiting a friend and would like to take him to the Game Thur night. Do you guys usualy sell out weekday games, or will I be able to get tickets at the box office? Or if anyone has tix and cant attend, I would be willing to buy. Also, is there a good Caps bar down town near the Arena. Thanks.
Didnt see a ticket exchange thread. If there is one, my apologies.
there are lots and lots of bars within a few blocks of the arena. Tickets will most likely be sold out by openning draw, but I don't know what's available now. There are tickets in this thread available, and the usual suspects (stubhub, ticket exchange, and to a lesser extent craigslist) are viable options.

Old
10-13-2009, 11:30 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
there are lots and lots of bars within a few blocks of the arena. Tickets will most likely be sold out by openning draw, but I don't know what's available now. There are tickets in this thread available, and the usual suspects (stubhub, ticket exchange, and to a lesser extent craigslist) are viable options.
Apparently there were still unsold tickets for the Devils game, so for another weekday game and a Western team there might be a chance right from the source, even if the prices/options will suck.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 12:15 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Apparently there were still unsold tickets for the Devils game, so for another weekday game and a Western team there might be a chance right from the source, even if the prices/options will suck.
the box score had last night's game as a sellout . . .

Old
10-13-2009, 12:57 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
FYI, a sellout does not equal no tickets available.

Old
10-13-2009, 01:01 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Leonsis reported 300 or so unsold, according to Corey.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
FYI, a sellout does not equal no tickets available.
Oh, I'm well aware of that, and the fact that there are always tickets available via the sources I mentioned above. I figure in this instance, the team is buying up leftover tickets for some sort of "sellout streak," much in the same way local television stations buy up football tickets in NFL cities so they can air the games?

Old
10-13-2009, 01:09 PM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Oh, I'm well aware of that, and the fact that there are always tickets available via the sources I mentioned above. I figure in this instance, the team is buying up leftover tickets for some sort of "sellout streak," much in the same way local television stations buy up football tickets in NFL cities so they can air the games?
There can also be club level tickets, pairs and singles, etc., scattered around the arena that are available via ticketmaster and/or the box office and it can still be called a sellout.

And while I am in no way encouraging using Tmaster and all the lovely service charges, right now a pair for the SJS shows up as available in the lower level, club level, and upper level via Ticketmaster.

The team sold as many season tickets as they were willing to sell, but there are still seats available for the individual games. Also, as many of us have discussed before, the League and teams often release some tickets that were held for the opposing team and the League closer to the game date ...this is true for all the teams.

Old
10-14-2009, 05:01 PM
CBJenga

Drinks before Thursday?

I come in peace (until the game and maybe the day after ).

I'm a sharks fan, living in DC, and I'd love to grab drinks with anyone before the game tomorrow. Anyone wanna meet up with me and hang out a bit before the game?

I also don't know where I should go, so, suggestions?

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2009, 06:41 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Can't hang out before the game, but I can help you out figuring out a place to go. What are you looking for?

Old
10-15-2009, 09:23 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Can't hang out before the game, but I can help you out figuring out a place to go. What are you looking for?
Anywhere that's a fun spot to hang out for an hour or so before the game. Possibly somewhere that many of the fans are going, just to be in the right mood.

And near the verizon center.

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2009, 09:28 AM
sk84fun_dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJenga View Post
Anywhere that's a fun spot to hang out for an hour or so before the game. Possibly somewhere that many of the fans are going, just to be in the right mood.

And near the verizon center.
Plenty of options, many already mentioned in this thread, if you skim through it...Greene Turtle (attached to the arena); Bar Louie on the other side of the arena; RFD; Rocket Bar, etc.