HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The All-Visiting From Out of Town/Ticket Thread

Old
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
There's a stickied thread at the top of the board you should look through. It's where this will be moved soon enough.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
sk84fun_dc

Yup, given the general nature of the question, it is the best place for information.

FWIW, I think I suggested near the end of last season that we needed a reset of that thread and someone started to redo some links/updates, but I never got around to pulling out all the useful stuff to put it all up front. Maybe I will do that during one of the late games this weekend

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 09:54 AM
njdevil26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
There's a stickied thread at the top of the board you should look through. It's where this will be moved soon enough.
Thanks for putting it in the right place!

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 09:08 AM
njdevil26

I guess I'll post my questions and see if they get answered before Saturday.

We will be getting to DC between 2 and 2:30. I believe the bus is just going to park and let us off at the arena.

-Where should we eat lunch/dinner?

-In this time frame, is there any specific monument or site that we should see?

-We want to each buy an Ovechkin (written in Russian) shirt. Do you guys have a team store? Where should we shop for Caps stuff? We also want to get some kind of souvenier.

-Do you have a bar or pub in the area that you guys get pre game drinks or food at?

Thanks for your help everybody!

Old
12-21-2009, 09:27 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
I guess I'll post my questions and see if they get answered before Saturday.

We will be getting to DC between 2 and 2:30. I believe the bus is just going to park and let us off at the arena.

-Where should we eat lunch/dinner?

-In this time frame, is there any specific monument or site that we should see?

-We want to each buy an Ovechkin (written in Russian) shirt. Do you guys have a team store? Where should we shop for Caps stuff? We also want to get some kind of souvenier.

-Do you have a bar or pub in the area that you guys get pre game drinks or food at?

Thanks for your help everybody!
Collectively, we don't pregame anywhere. I'm probably going to be at that game, but I usually just get down there in time to watch warmups. There are lots of good bars around, but most get really crowded before the game. Some of the most popular ones include District Chophouse and Brewery, and Fado. VC is about 10-15 blocks from most of the museums, so it depends on what you are into. The National Portrait Gallery is across the street, and the National Archives is really close, but you aren't far from anything and they are all free.

There is a team store, but I don't know whether or not they still have the Ovechkin shirts in russian. Those first started a year and a half ago, and I don't know what's left.

There are lots and lots and lots of places to eat in the area, so it kind of depends on what you want to eat.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2009, 11:57 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Building on what Foy said, the Verizon Center is literally right in the middle of the city, and a in a lively district, so there's tons of restaurants/bars within a few blocks.

If you're doing dinner at a restaurant, you'll probably have time to do any one (maybe two, depending how thorough you are) museum. If you're only going to do one, I'd do the Air & Space Museum, Natural History Museum, American History Museum, or the International Spy Museum, depending on the subject matter that interests you most. The first three are part of the Smithsonian, so they're free, while the Spy Museum is independently owned, so there's a fee

Old
12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
njdevil26

After looking at menus and such... my girlfriend decided she wants to go to the Capitol Brewing Company for Lunch/Dinner.

Old
12-22-2009, 03:54 PM
wingscapsfan

question about player autographs at kettler centre?

Hi everyone,

I am a diehard caps fan from Toronto that is making my first trip to dc, and checking out the caps games against Jersey and the Canes. I also wanted to check out a caps practice at Kettler centre, however I was wondering is it generally difficult to get player autographs at kettler (I assumed this was the easiest place to get them), and if so where would the best place to get autographs be?

wingscapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:55 PM
Foy

best place there to get autographs will be obvious from where everyone else is gathering. Get there early and wait outside the doors that have the gargantuan Caps logo above them. Then as they are skating off the ice after practice, congregate in front of the media's little area so that you can try and grab them then. Then go back out to where they entered and wait for them to leave.

Old
12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Karl W

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevil26 View Post
After looking at menus and such... my girlfriend decided she wants to go to the Capitol Brewing Company for Lunch/Dinner.
Capitol Brewing Company is ok, but it is pretty non-descript. There are a dozen or so much nicer (memorable) restaurants. I highly recommend Jaleo on E street, just a couple blocks from the stadium. Or, Oceanaire on F street (two blocks west) as better experiences for about the same money. If you go for a late lunch, you'll have the place to yourself.

Karl W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Anyone know where to get reasonably priced tickets to Capitals games? I am planning on coming to DC for a weekend and the Caps are playing the Coyotes but I can't find tickets cheaper than like $60 a ticket. I know the caps are good and everything, but what is with the outrageous ticket prices? I have seen some on ebay for like $800 for a pair of 200 level seats. Ebay is filled with extremely high priced tickets that no one is bidding on or buying because they are like double face value. Is scalping a good idea in DC? Philly usually has pretty fair scalpers where they'll give you pretty much face value, maybe a little more depending on the game.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2009, 12:31 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Anyone know where to get reasonably priced tickets to Capitals games? I am planning on coming to DC for a weekend and the Caps are playing the Coyotes but I can't find tickets cheaper than like $60 a ticket. I know the caps are good and everything, but what is with the outrageous ticket prices? I have seen some on ebay for like $800 for a pair of 200 level seats. Ebay is filled with extremely high priced tickets that no one is bidding on or buying because they are like double face value. Is scalping a good idea in DC? Philly usually has pretty fair scalpers where they'll give you pretty much face value, maybe a little more depending on the game.
For Phoenix, I'm sure you could get some decent prices on scalped tickets outside the VC. The closer to game time, the better. FWIW, I believe there are only two levels of tickets with a face-value of below $60 ($25 and $35), and that's for non-premium games (Phoenix would qualify).

Old
12-30-2009, 12:34 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
No matter what you're trying to buy, always start at Craigslist.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/s...breviation=sss

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 01:48 PM
dannythekid

Hey guys I am planning on coming in for the Feb. 7th game against the Pens (I am from Pittsburgh adn I have my flame jacket on now).

I have been looking around and I really want to stay off of TicketMaster and StubHub because they really rail you with taxes and fees. For instance they had Mezzanine level tickets listed at $125/seat, what is the face value of the upper level seats?

I am looking for 4 seats together and I have looked around on Craigslist to not much luck. If anyone knows any other avenues I can try, let me know. I thought about checking scalpers, but I don't want to risk not being able to get 4 together.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Face value? Probably only $50, for what that is worth, $35 or so with a season's ticket. Since they sold out 6+ months ago, though, that's irrelevant.

Although the Caps sold out 46 of 48 home games in 2009, this game does not compare. The issue with Pens-Caps games is that it's one of the top tickets in the NHL right now, and there are only four of them a year, and only two per barn. They sold out ages ago, and demand is insane for seats already sold. So $150 sounds about right for their market demand price at the moment. Things have changed with access to Verizon Center tickets for Caps games compared to five years ago. Every other sports team in the city stinks. Scalpers are never selling outside the building anymore - they all are looking to buy seats, and that's for crap opponents on crap mid-week dates. A month from game day, four Pens seats together, that's a tough search. Good luck. You've identified the three best ways to buy seats.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 09:06 AM
dannythekid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
Things have changed with access to Verizon Center tickets for Caps games compared to five years ago.
That definitely seems to be the case. I know it used to be pretty easy to source those tickets around the lockout.

Thanks for your help, I'll keep on the search.

dannythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Karl W

Quote:
Don't get 200 level seats -- they are "club" seats and come with some extra amenities. You can always find 400 level seats under fifty bucks on stubhub.com. If you are from out of town, be careful with Craigslist because you will have trouble meeting the person for the exchange and can be more easily ripped off. I'd start with stubhub and you should have no problem. You can also try the ticketmaster season ticket exchange listing. That is available off a link from washcaps.com.

Old
01-04-2010, 04:15 AM
zion21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl W View Post
Don't get 200 level seats -- they are "club" seats and come with some extra amenities. You can always find 400 level seats under fifty bucks on stubhub.com. If you are from out of town, be careful with Craigslist because you will have trouble meeting the person for the exchange and can be more easily ripped off. I'd start with stubhub and you should have no problem. You can also try the ticketmaster season ticket exchange listing. That is available off a link from washcaps.com.
Good call on ticketmster ticket exchange. I just found out about it a few weeks ago and am amazed at all the great seats that people list. It can be a bit expensive though so make sure you find a good deal!

zion21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2010, 08:22 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion21 View Post
Good call on ticketmster ticket exchange. I just found out about it a few weeks ago and am amazed at all the great seats that people list. It can be a bit expensive though so make sure you find a good deal!
**** ticketmaster. I'm simply amazed that ticket exchange is legal. What's to stop them from taking unsold tickets and putting them on ticket change at inflated prices? That's irrelevant to Caps games as they're all sold out, but regardless, **** ticketmaster.

Do the Caps have print at home ticketing? Everytime I buy aftermarket tickets for the Mets or Rangers, I just pay the ticketholder via paypal and get the tickets emailed to me.

Old
01-04-2010, 10:44 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
**** ticketmaster. I'm simply amazed that ticket exchange is legal. What's to stop them from taking unsold tickets and putting them on ticket change at inflated prices? That's irrelevant to Caps games as they're all sold out, but regardless, **** ticketmaster.

Do the Caps have print at home ticketing? Everytime I buy aftermarket tickets for the Mets or Rangers, I just pay the ticketholder via paypal and get the tickets emailed to me.
what do you mean "What's to stop them?"

Ticketmaster has their own scalpers that get first crack to a lot of games and concerts and DO put tickets up on ticket exchange at an inflated rate and give a cut to ticketmaster. There were hundreds of tickets for Bruce Springstein at Verizon Center last time around days before the tickets went on sale to the public, and they were in groups larger than they sold to the fan club.

Old
01-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Karl W

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

Yes, Caps have print-at-home and email forwarding for season ticket holders. It costs $1.95 per ticket or something like that.

I have no doubt that ticketmaster does everything it can to rip off the public in all circumstances and at all times. But I think that all NHL teams have the season ticket exchange option now which operates the same way.

Old
01-11-2010, 11:47 AM
kingfisherkevin

Gotta see the game

I am going to be in Midtown Manhattan tomorrow night. Anyone have a guess as to where I might be able to catch the Caps game? I have heard Third and Long might be worth a try. Or Stout. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Kevin

kingfisherkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisherkevin View Post
I am going to be in Midtown Manhattan tomorrow night. Anyone have a guess as to where I might be able to catch the Caps game? I have heard Third and Long might be worth a try. Or Stout. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Kevin
Almost every sports bar has Center Ice. Just ask your bartender to put on the game, if they don't have it, try someplace else. Or google midtown sports bars. I never hang out in midtown, so I can't give you a specific spot.

Old
01-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Adsprincess

Question about Club Level Seats

Hello all... I am coming to the game on 1/31 and just got my tickets in section 203. It said VIP Club Level and Access to Acela Club... The only time I have ever been to a game I sat in 401, so What is this about? What are the perks if any? (I didn't buy them specifically for this reason, I bought them because I like the seats).

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Go Caps!

Adsprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:51 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsprincess View Post
Hello all... I am coming to the game on 1/31 and just got my tickets in section 203. It said VIP Club Level and Access to Acela Club... The only time I have ever been to a game I sat in 401, so What is this about? What are the perks if any? (I didn't buy them specifically for this reason, I bought them because I like the seats).

Any help would be appreciated... Thanks

Go Caps!
it means you got club level seats. They are decent, but obviously overpriced. It means that the proceeds from them go to Washington Sports and Entertainment, not the Washington Capitals (for how much longer, who knows). The Acela Club is the in-house over-priced under-quality restaurant that you can eat at before or during the game.