HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

brian boyle

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2003, 12:44 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

vCash: 500
brian boyle

so... he's a 7 points after 14 games played. i dont quite know wat to expect out of a freshman in college, but is he what we expected him to be? i know we took a gamble a bit on him since we didn't know if his points in hs was just cuase he was bigger then eveyron else or if it's from real skill, so from these current numbers, which is the more likely?

lastly, does it look like we gambled well? or may have messed up a bit?

Old
12-09-2003, 01:59 AM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
From a purely statistical standpoint, those numbers are average for a frosher. Not great, not terrible.
However, one has to take into consideration that he is getting very few minutes, playing mostly on the 4th line and not seeing any PT with talented forwards such as the Eaves brothers, or Voce. Also, going from a high-school league to College is quite a jump, he will need time to adapt to the new level of competition.

I'm sure the Kings knew what they were getting when they drafted Boyle, we'll see his true impact later than sooner.

Old
12-09-2003, 07:46 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
there is NO WAY to determine whether the Kings made the right move or not for the next few seasons. They drafted a kid with size and skill, and now it's a matter of monitoring his development OVER TIME. He's actually gotten some clutch ice time in the handful of games we have seen on TV, and certainly doesn't look horribly out of place in the BC lineup.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:16 AM
punchy1

I don't know that I agree tubby. I mean, the question was what do we think of him so far, I think that so far we have seen a pretty well played first season as far as his stats go and that Vodoo is dead on with his take mate. I mean, you are right in that it will take time to know if he is going to be a first or second line winger in the NHL but it will take that same time for every prospect ever. Of course it takes monitoring OVER TIME, that goes without saying but the question is whether or not he looks good so far and I would say that with his size and the jump and everything that he looks solid so far. Other than the obvious that he is going to need time to develope, he looks fine to me. So, I just don't understand your take mate, of course it takes time to truly know what a prospect is off to. That weren't the question though. Cheers.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:21 AM
nikolai19

If you watch Brian Boyle in the games, he plays a little like Nik Antropov of the Leafs. He's not there yet, but if he gets better, I think that may be the type of player more than a Primeau player.

He provides a great screen in front of the net and hopefully he fills out his frame. It is way too early to tell if he will ever play in the NHL. This guy may not play until he is 26 or so because his coordination may not catch up with him. I would think he has a chance in the league if he learns to be strong on his skates and use his size to it's full advantage. If not, he may rot in the minors.

Old
12-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Game Misconduct

Give him time. This is a long-term play, and his upside is enormous, so to speak.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:07 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
I don't know that I agree tubby. I mean, the question was what do we think of him so far, I think that so far we have seen a pretty well played first season as far as his stats go and that Vodoo is dead on with his take mate. I mean, you are right in that it will take time to know if he is going to be a first or second line winger in the NHL but it will take that same time for every prospect ever. Of course it takes monitoring OVER TIME, that goes without saying but the question is whether or not he looks good so far and I would say that with his size and the jump and everything that he looks solid so far. Other than the obvious that he is going to need time to develope, he looks fine to me. So, I just don't understand your take mate, of course it takes time to truly know what a prospect is off to. That weren't the question though. Cheers.
I guess I have read too many threads about "wasted draft picks" in my day. I was merely thinking that any opinions about Boyle's development so early into his college career are fraught with speculation and frankly a waste of time. There's been about 2 years of Steckel whining, and now that he's a senior, and playing well, all of a sudden there is potential (guarded) optimism. I just think we are not even CLOSE to determining if Boyle is a bust.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:18 AM
punchy1

Cheers mate, that clears it up for me. I agree with what you are saying then, it is too early to know if any of these fellows will cut the peas in the NHL but as prospects they look pretty well and good. I suppose I mean that it is nice to see so many prospects that actually do have a shot at making the NHL instead of so bloody many who are just another name to hear and read about only to be dissapointed later. With our current record of our lads doing so well and being able to help out the Kings I suppose it is alright to slowly start having some faith in our scouting staff and of course in Davie Stitch.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:20 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

as punchy said, i wasn't calling anyone a bust yet, nor was i even thinking about it. punchy is right, i'm just wondering so far. i think this year is a real teller on boyle becuase we never knew whether or not he could keep up with players who are his size. this will hopefully tell us whether or not he is as good as he is even against good competition.

secondly, if he's "ok" as a freshman, is that a good thing or not? do most "ok" freshman make it into the nhl and make an impact? not quite sure wat to expect from a freshman at BC.

also, GM, you said his upside is high, but really, what do you see him as potentially being? not quite sure wat you guys see as his upside quite yet.

Old
12-09-2003, 10:31 AM
punchy1

I think he could be a whole new type of player. A real true power forward. He is 6' 7 (or bigger right?) and when he fills out he could be around 220 or so. He is doing well in front of the net and is learning how to use his size to an advantage. Think Zdeno Chara as a forward. His reach could be a real weapon as could his shot.

I see him as either a top six winger or as a bust. I can't see him as a stopper but then, like tubby said, it is too early to really know. I am just saying what it looks like to me but I know nothing or little too to begin with. I know your question is for GM but I love to speculate on these things.

He will, if what most say about big kids, take allot longer to develope his coordination and what not but, that said, so far as a freshman he actually is scoring and that is a good thing when there are always allot of freshman who don't score at all and he is playing on the back markers too. So far, I would say he is developing on schedule, not ahead but not behind either. Cheers mate, this is a bloody great topic to waste some time on!

Old
12-09-2003, 12:19 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

haha, thanks! my question really wasn't to GM specifically, just that he was the one who pointed out his high upside. have u watched him and seen his style of play?

i saw him once, but didn't remember if he had a great shot or not. it'll be interesting for sure to see how he turns ou.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:10 PM
Game Misconduct

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
also, GM, you said his upside is high, but really, what do you see him as potentially being? not quite sure wat you guys see as his upside quite yet.
I think he can be a dominant power forward with skill, like a Bertuzzi. He already skates, stickhandles and shoots extremely well for a big guy but does not use his size like he should. I think the question is whether he can learn to use his size effectively.

He very well could turn out to be the best prospect we have IMO. But it is very early.

Old
12-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Kings Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I think he can be a dominant power forward with skill, like a Bertuzzi. He already skates, stickhandles and shoots extremely well for a big guy but does not use his size like he should. I think the question is whether he can learn to use his size effectively.

He very well could turn out to be the best prospect we have IMO. But it is very early.
That is why I really liked this pick. His ceiling is very high thanks to his frame alone. He may be a gamble but he is one which could produce an amazing return.

Old
12-11-2003, 02:48 AM
johnjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Fanatic
That is why I really liked this pick. His ceiling is very high thanks to his frame alone. He may be a gamble but he is one which could produce an amazing return.
I think he was a stealth pick in the same mold as Hugh Jessiman, though Jessiman had already completed his frosh year. At the draft, people were bummed that we weren't able to pick up Jessiman, a huge, skilled college forward who's knock was that he wasn't playing at a strong hockey school. Well, we drafted Boyle, a huge skilled forward just going into one of the best college hockey programs in North America. And we have his rights for a whole year longer.

I like the idea that we hold onto the signing rights of college players a lot longer than players out of Junior. So tough to get a read on most players when they're just 20 and want huge signing bonuses.

Closed Thread