HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stortini/Cooke

Old
02-05-2007, 11:53 PM
TheGreatone94

vCash: 500
Cooke is what he is. Solid third liner who can check, but is a dirty/cheap shot artist. If we run around on Vancouvers guys, I don't think they would want Bieksa or Mitchell sitting for 5 with Storts, which would be a huge advantage for us. Keep running the Sedins after the whistle, bump Luongo, whatever it takes.

Kinda OT, but does anyone else feel a turning point if we can put together a win tomorrow? I am calling it right now, if Edmonton wins tomorrow, it will begin Vancouvers decline down the standings.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund Oiler View Post
I get to see Matt Cooke all the time. He is effective at what he does.

Stortini needs to send a message next game and Cooke is currently the Canucks toughest player. Who should Stortini go after if not Cooke? I say Stortini should crush anybody who gets in his way.

And who said teams in this new NHL don't need an enforcer? Intimidation and knowing your team has the toughest guy on the ice goes a long way still. The Oilers grew a few inches and gained a few pounds with a tough guy back in there. And Stortini isn't useless out there. He creates things. I think he is showing how important BG was for the Oilers.
Cooke is certainly not the Canucks toughest player. Cowan would probably have a go with Stortini.. the guy is stupid.. tried to challenge Godard against Calgary.. Guess he's taken too many shots to the head.. at least his face looks that way.

BAuldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:02 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by quat View Post
Well, just because you think it, doesn't make it so. Cooke always finishes his hits, and sorry, but they're not any dirtier than any other hard hitting player. I'd like to see a list of these extremely dirty hits that Cooke has put on players, because I've been watching him play for years and they just aren't there.

Oppostion players don't like guys like Cooke because he makes them pay on the ice every shift.

I can certainly understand fans who don't like players who won't fight (although I'm pretty certain most of the complainers are likely those who wouldn't fight either.. but whatever), and Cooke has shown he avoids fighting like the plague.

I have no problem with fans disliking players for almost anything, and I have no problem with fans hating Cooke... heck I doubt I would like him if he played for the Oilers, but that doesn't mean he's dirty.
No problem with finishing hits. I have problems with hitting a player when he is on his knees (Cooke did this to Huselius on Saturday, and none of you have even acknowledged it). I also have problems with starting **** after the whistle, and then smiling and running away.

I really can understand him not fighting. In fact I don't think a player has to fight when he hits somebody clean. If he just hit players and left it at that, it isn't a problem. It is the **** he does after the whistle and acting like a big tough guy that makes him a coward.

Like I said, no problem with Mitchell and Bieksa. They are physical, but they don't go running around acting tough, and in Bieksa's case when he does, he is willing to fight. They also don't wear visors (nothing wrong with wearing visors, I just don't think it is right to fight or act tough with a player who doesn't wear one. That includes Smid's fight with Rycroft)

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:03 AM
stangconv

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well, just because you think it, doesn't make it so. Cooke always finishes his hits, and sorry, but they're not any dirtier than any other hard hitting player. I'd like to see a list of these extremely dirty hits that Cooke has put on players, because I've been watching him play for years and they just aren't there.
Oppostion players don't like guys like Cooke because he makes them pay on the ice every shift.

I can certainly understand fans who don't like players who won't fight (although I'm pretty certain most of the complainers are likely those who wouldn't fight either.. but whatever), and Cooke has shown he avoids fighting like the plague.

I have no problem with fans disliking players for almost anything, and I have no problem with fans hating Cooke... heck I doubt I would like him if he played for the Oilers, but that doesn't mean he's dirty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneShot_Scorer View Post
This thread is about him being classless. Snow Washes on goalies, slew foots, hits AFTER whistles, and dirty hits like on Calgary. He's done more than his fair share to earn the gutless stature. He can't own up to anything he does.

Apperently neither can Sucks fans

As already said that late hit on hueslius was dirty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRbGjpz2DcY Run away cooke run away...just like always

I wouldnt care if Stortini took an instigator to kick his ass. Well worth it IMO

stangconv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
I'd lay some coin on that tilt. Bieksa is a sick fighter but is too important to our team to throw 'em anymore.

Search his montage of youtube, he is basically undefeated at the NHL level.
But Moreau doesn't know who Bieksa is, he is taking him to the net.

Would be a good fight though. Their faces also match up in the sense that they both always look so angry.

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:07 AM
nuckfan insk

vCash: 934
all cooke does is hit. he is a great hitter, and agitator. how many pim does he draw a year ? he aint a fighter. he aint as dirty as tucker. he just hits hard and fast. and cause he hits 3-5x more then the average joe he is bound to have a few more bad hits

nuckfan insk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:12 AM
stangconv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilsson Schmilsson View Post
I just hope Hemsky gets better at taking hits. You know Cooke will be looking for him with his head down.

The way Hemsky deals with contact right now, he could get hurt.
Give your head a shake, Hemsky is very good at taking and GIVING hits out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpUfWhrYydg

Last edited by stangconv: 02-06-2007 at 12:17 AM.
Old
02-06-2007, 12:12 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannoabram View Post
all cooke does is hit. he is a great hitter, and agitator. how many pim does he draw a year ? he aint a fighter. he aint as dirty as tucker. he just hits hard and fast. and cause he hits 3-5x more then the average joe he is bound to have a few more bad hits
if that's what you call taking a potshot at a guy who's on his own bench and then skating away at the speed of sound like a french soccer player, than sure, continue to live in your little fantasy world.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
Cooke is what he is. Solid third liner who can check, but is a dirty/cheap shot artist. If we run around on Vancouvers guys, I don't think they would want Bieksa or Mitchell sitting for 5 with Storts, which would be a huge advantage for us. Keep running the Sedins after the whistle, bump Luongo, whatever it takes.

Kinda OT, but does anyone else feel a turning point if we can put together a win tomorrow? I am calling it right now, if Edmonton wins tomorrow, it will begin Vancouvers decline down the standings.

Aside from this purported hit on Huselius on Saturday, a game I didn't see, could you please name 3 cheapshots Cooke has done?

Oh, and if you want to run the Sedins or Luongo, I'm sure Hemsky, Roloson, Sykora, and Smyth will love a Mitchell crosscheck or a Cowan elbow. Stupid breeds stupid, buddy.

My prediction: the Oilers miss the playoffs by 6 points. Canucks with the 3rd seed.

The Overseer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:18 AM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
And yet you stick up for a guy that would get ragdolled every game if it wasn't for the instigator rule? Good job.

Not surprising that Canucks fans love Cooke and call anyone who disagrees with what he does "a bunch of whiners". Afterall, this is a fanbase that thought Bertuzzi was the victim after he broke Moore's neck.

If Cooke ends Hemsky's career, will you guys give him a standing ovation as well? Just curious.
I don't think a lot of the Vancouver fan base called Bertuzzi a victim.. I do recall seeing a few Oilers posters saying that though when the whole lawsuit thing started happening.

Regardless, Cooke is a **** disturber.. thats what he does.. and judging by this thread he does it well. Do I think he is a punk who won't fight? Yea.. but unfortunately there is a place for that under today's rules. Tikannen was the starter of the whole agitator age but he never took it as far as a guy like Cooke or Ruutu lets say.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:23 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
This thread is about him being classless. Snow Washes on goalies, slew foots, hits AFTER whistles, and dirty hits like on Calgary. He's done more than his fair share to earn the gutless stature. He can't own up to anything he does.
Snow washes goalies? Ryan Smyth does that way more than Cooke. The slew foot stuff is BS and so is the hitting after the whistle. As for the Calgary game, I guess you didn't see the hit from behind that preceded Cookes hit... he was responding in kind which most fans actually accept as a way of keeping dirty play out of the game.

Cooke is gutless only because he doesn't fight. I'm sure not going to argue that. But the rest is sour grapes. I'm not saying the Cooke has never made a cheap hit, but to suggest that is his game is BS.

As for hitting after the whistle, pretty much any tough defenceman does that constantly, like say Smith. I'm not going to call him dirty, because that's part of hockey... you pay for going to the net.

quat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:25 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:

What's wrong with the Oilers? Are they allergic to being bodychecked?

This thread is hilarious, especially from the home of Esa Tikanen, Raffi Torres, Chris Pronger, Ken Linseman, etc.

Oiler fans whining about dirty play. Jesus, that's rich.
Hey, watch it buddy!!!

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Aside from this purported hit on Huselius on Saturday, a game I didn't see, could you please name 3 cheapshots Cooke has done?

Oh, and if you want to run the Sedins or Luongo, I'm sure Hemsky, Roloson, Sykora, and Smyth will love a Mitchell crosscheck or a Cowan elbow. Stupid breeds stupid, buddy.

My prediction: the Oilers miss the playoffs by 6 points. Canucks with the 3rd seed.
My prediction: No one gives a crap what you think.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:27 AM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:

Predictions are like anuses, everybody has one and most of the have a foul odor.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:28 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
If player like Cooke are allowed to put on their pathetic cowardly acts, then someone on the Oilers has to step up and do the same on a skilled Vancouver player. Get under their skin.

Do one of Cookes pathetic patented plays. Run someone after the whistle and then run to the bench.

Did anybody hear Team 1260 last week? Friday I think. They were calling Stauffer "Big P***Y" b/c he looks like that guy from the Sopranos.

Stauffer goes, "Hey, speaking of a BIG P***Y. How about number 24 on the Canucks!"

Called him a gutless puke. Said guys like him stay in the NHL because they hide behind the instigator.

He was 100% right.

I know cooke has a job, but he is such a coward. He's not a man at all. I see Avery drop them. Avery has 100X more balls than Cooke. Even Avery puts Matt Cooke down, that's how pathetic COoke is.

I guess this just shows you know a lot about Averys balls.

Poor Esa... I wonder what he thinks of all this?

Old
02-06-2007, 12:32 AM
TheGreatone94

Quote:

He had a late hit against Staios just last time the Oilers played the canucks. Basically charged across the ice and hit Staios about 4-5 seconds after he disposed of the puck. As for coming back with Mitchell or Cowan, I have no problem with that. The Oilers have a lot of physical guys and we could more than take care of ourselves. Smyth gets cross checked every game in front of the net, is Mitchells stick made of titanium? Sedins are great players, but if you take the body with them they aren't as effective, whereas if you hit Hemmer, he gets right back up. As for your prediction, Luongo is going to burn out by the time playoffs come around(if they come around for you guys). He is playing way too many games, and you could tell he was tired by the third period of the Calgary game. Anyways, good luck tomorrow night, and heres to a hard fought,big hitting game

Old
02-06-2007, 12:37 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:

So you guys are all complaining about a player you say plays dirty, and your answer to that is to do exactly that kind of behaviour?

Still waiting for all the cheap stuff Cooke does, I mean other than finishing his check. I guess if I were all riled up about body checks like you guys were I would be all pissed off at Torres. But, gee, I'm not... cause he's doing his job and does it well mostly against the Canucks. Hey, maybe you should actually be thankfull Cooke is playing cause he seems to get Rafi going.

As for hitting the Sedins and Luongo... don't think that isn't every teams plan, and that happens very frequently. To bad it doesn't have much effect.

All the complaining here is ridiculous. You've got your biggest goal scorer, a guy who bread and butter is harassing and interfering with the oppositions goalies, and you love it. Yet another team has a guy who hits hard (and not as hard as Torres for example, but more frequently), and you're all indignant. Funny.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a great game on Tuesday, and I've never been one to say the Oilers are out of (wasn't last season either), and don't believe they will be until there are no games left to play.

This is what makes for good hockey.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:38 AM
stangconv

OT: Just wanted to see if this works.... Lucky for Sucks fans that this wasnt MAB

Took it out... kinda big.

EDIT: I have never got a gif to work

Last edited by stangconv: 02-06-2007 at 12:51 AM. Reason: YAY it worked...
Old
02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
TheGreatone94

Quote:
So you guys are all complaining about a player you say plays dirty, and your answer to that is to do exactly that kind of behaviour?

Still waiting for all the cheap stuff Cooke does, I mean other than finishing his check. I guess if I were all riled up about body checks like you guys were I would be all pissed off at Torres. But, gee, I'm not... cause he's doing his job and does it well mostly against the Canucks. Hey, maybe you should actually be thankfull Cooke is playing cause he seems to get Rafi going.

As for hitting the Sedins and Luongo... don't think that isn't every teams plan, and that happens very frequently. To bad it doesn't have much effect.

All the complaining here is ridiculous. You've got your biggest goal scorer, a guy who bread and butter is harassing and interfering with the oppositions goalies, and you love it. Yet another team has a guy who hits hard (and not as hard as Torres for example, but more frequently), and you're all indignant. Funny.

Personally, I'm looking forward to a great game on Tuesday, and I've never been one to say the Oilers are out of (wasn't last season either), and don't believe they will be until there are no games left to play.

This is what makes for good hockey.
What I am saying is that I am tired of our skill guys getting ran and cheapshotted while opposing team stars go untouched. If Cooke is doing it and isn't being penalized, we should be doing it right back.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:46 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I'd like to add my .02 cents as a Canuck fan, I think Cooke is very gutless for his antics over the years. While he is a pest, others like Burrows and Ruutu have owned up and fought tougher guys before. Cooke is pretty gutless, and while I find it hard not to cheer for him, I can definitely see the hatred from opposing teams.

Like I dislike guys like Staios, Torres, etc. but moreso due to the fact they are tough and we play you guys a lot. I genuinely hated Bryan Marchment types because they play to hurt, which is not something needed in hockey.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerlova View Post
No problem with finishing hits. I have problems with hitting a player when he is on his knees (Cooke did this to Huselius on Saturday, and none of you have even acknowledged it). I also have problems with starting **** after the whistle, and then smiling and running away.

I really can understand him not fighting. In fact I don't think a player has to fight when he hits somebody clean. If he just hit players and left it at that, it isn't a problem. It is the **** he does after the whistle and acting like a big tough guy that makes him a coward.

Like I said, no problem with Mitchell and Bieksa. They are physical, but they don't go running around acting tough, and in Bieksa's case when he does, he is willing to fight. They also don't wear visors (nothing wrong with wearing visors, I just don't think it is right to fight or act tough with a player who doesn't wear one. That includes Smid's fight with Rycroft)
When an Oiler gets a cheap shot from behind, there are many players who respond with the same kind of play.

What does acting tough mean exactly? Like beaking off at a player? Big deal. I'm pretty sure every player in the league mouths off to some degree or another. I would respect Cooke a lot more if he fought, but whether he fights or not has no bearing on the kind of hockey he plays.

Anyhow, the only thing I'll ever defend Cooke over are all these alleged dirty hits. And I don't even agree that he hits after the whistle and more frequently than other players who are energy guys.

The Huselius hit was for another Canuck being hit from behind immediately before it. Cooke simply doesn't make hits like that with any kind of regularity.

I'll agree about the visor to a degree... it would piss me off a lot more if Cooke regularily fought with it on, as they really do injure hands in a fight.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:53 AM
BAuldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangconv View Post
OT: Just wanted to see if this works.... Lucky for Sucks fans that this wasnt MAB

EDIT: I have never got a gif to work
MAB woulda shot it outta the rink .. kidding..

I don't see the point to you posting this and calling us Sucks fans.. but to each their own I guess.. can't deny we don't have similar posts on the Canucks boards.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:
What I am saying is that I am tired of our skill guys getting ran and cheapshotted while opposing team stars go untouched. If Cooke is doing it and isn't being penalized, we should be doing it right back.
In what games against the Canucks were the Oilers skilled guys cheap shotted? I don't recall anything sticking out. But if your skilled players are being run, then absolutely you play a hard game right back. Of course it goes without saying that you should be playing that way regardless. The Oilers are built on speed and a forecheck, and they're not going to be very successful without playing a hard game.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:57 AM
BAuldie

Quote:
I'd like to add my .02 cents as a Canuck fan, I think Cooke is very gutless for his antics over the years. While he is a pest, others like Burrows and Ruutu have owned up and fought tougher guys before. Cooke is pretty gutless, and while I find it hard not to cheer for him, I can definitely see the hatred from opposing teams.

Like I dislike guys like Staios, Torres, etc. but moreso due to the fact they are tough and we play you guys a lot. I genuinely hated Bryan Marchment types because they play to hurt, which is not something needed in hockey.
I hate Torres.. I mean I really hate Torres.. I was introduced to my wife's maid of honours family by her asking me what I thought about Raffi Torres.. interesting way and impression to give But its a hate brought on by the fact that he always plays his best games against the Canucks. He hits hard.. really hard and within the rules.. some call them dirty from time to time but normally they are within the rules.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:58 AM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Quote:

I just think guttless is different than dirty. Marchment was dirty. Cooke is gutless (if we take gutless to mean someone who won't fight)