HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

OT: Can't stand the Concordia hippies

Old
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
OT: Can't stand the Concordia hippies

I'm in the library at Concordia right now, not able to study for my midterm because a bunch of ****ing hippies are outside with a loudspeaker *****ing that tuition is too high. I mean what the hell...Tuition is like $3,000 a year, probably the lowest in all of North America. They are screaming "Grants not Loans!"...Are they seriously *****ing for FREE tuition? Is that a joke? Concordia is already falling apart. John Molson buisness school is millions in debt. There are thousands of students here who simply don't give a **** and don't put in the work, because tuition is so cheap and they have nothing to lose.

Everyone I know who has applied for a student loan has spent the money on beer, weed, cars or LCD tvs. It's a joke. I wish they tripled the price of tuition so that all the bums would no longer be able to afford it and only the serious students are left. And hell, maybe the bathrooms in the Hall building wouldn't smell like a hobo just died there.

The cheaper they make tuition, the less the education is worth.

Instead of paying a few hundred bucks to rent a van and a loudspeaker setup for a few hours, why don't they use that money to pay their tuition fees? Half these ****ing people live with their parents and don't even pay their own tuition!

Hell, the money I made from working one summer was enough to pay for my entire Concordia education.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Mue

Are they just showing their support for Ontario students maybe?

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:04 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Are they just showing their support for Ontario students maybe?
Don't get my started on Ontario students. They come here to leetch off our cheap education and then leave. We foot the bill of course.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Mike8

It probably has to do with the university wanting to raise tuition significantly.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:06 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Don't get my started on Ontario students. They come here to leetch off our cheap education and then leave. We foot the bill of course.
I asked you a question...maybe you could just answer it?

Old
02-06-2007, 02:07 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
And hell, maybe the bathrooms in the Hall building wouldn't smell like a hobo just died there.
To clarify, those bathrooms don't smell like a hobo just died there, that space stinks as if the poor creature has been quietly rotting away in it for weeks.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Tell that to France; they are known as well educated people (compared to here anyway) and they get it for free.

NORiculous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:08 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
I'm in the library at Concordia right now, not able to study for my midterm because a bunch of ****ing hippies are outside with a loudspeaker *****ing that tuition is too high. I mean what the hell...Tuition is like $3,000 a year, probably the lowest in all of North America. They are screaming "Grants not Loans!"...Are they seriously *****ing for FREE tuition? Is that a joke? Concordia is already falling apart. John Molson buisness school is millions in debt. There are thousands of students here who simply don't give a **** and don't put in the work, because tuition is so cheap and they have nothing to lose.

Everyone I know who has applied for a student loan has spent the money on beer, weed, cars or LCD tvs. It's a joke. I wish they tripled the price of tuition so that all the bums would no longer be able to afford it and only the serious students are left. And hell, maybe the bathrooms in the Hall building wouldn't smell like a hobo just died there.

Instead of paying a few hundred bucks to rent a van and a loudspeaker setup for a few hours, why don't they use that money to pay their tuition fees? Half these ****ing people live with their parents and don't even pay their own tuition!

Hell, the money I made from working one summer was enough to pay for my entire Concordia education.
Let people who really knows the subjet talk about it, because you surely don't have a clue of what you're talking about!

...just for fun, what are you studying? Marketing?

...btw, if you complain that they're disturbing you while you study...what the **** are you doing writing on this board?!?

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:

Are there ANY moments where you don't complain?

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
To clarify, those bathrooms don't smell like a hobo just died there, that space stinks as if the poor creature has been quietly rotting away in it for weeks.
Good point. If he had just died (that instant fo example) it wouldn't smell any different.

Time is the operative smell inducer.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Blackshad

Quote:
Alright, all people from France are stupid and not educated. Clap Clap Clap

Seriously, i dont really care how much i need to spend on my education because i'm lucky enought to earn alot of money by working and going to university at the same time.

What i care tought, is that someone that is intelligent that cant go to university because he doesnt have enought money. I dont care paying more taxes for that guy. IMO, they should be free university. But with really hard tests to be accepted.

Blackshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habfan4

Con U charges tuition?

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:11 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
It probably has to do with the university wanting to raise tuition significantly.
The university desperately needs to raise tuition. They are asking for grants instead of student loans...Right now they are saying that education is a right and everyone is entitled to free education.

Someone needs to remind them that this isn't elementary school.

Quote:
I asked you a question...maybe you could just answer it?
As far as I can tell, they haven't said a word about Ontario. I can hear them pretty loud (they were just chanting GO HABS GO so I think they ran out of things to say, or people were heckling them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1x44r View Post
I was excited when they started renovating the building, only to find out they didn't touch the bathrooms that have been there since the 70's. My dad probably used the same toilet I did.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:12 PM
Mue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post

Seriously, i dont really care how much i need to spend on my education because i'm lucky enought to earn alot of money by working and going to university at the same time.

What i care tought, is that someone that is intelligent that cant go to university because he doesnt have enought money. I dont care paying more taxes for that guy. IMO, they should be free university. But with really hard tests to be accepted.
It is a shame. Although I don't mind working while I'm in school (TA and RA) I should not have to stress about money as much as I do. I have the grades (and motivation) for graduate school (and I have applied) but the cost is making me second guess it.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Mue

Quote:
The university desperately needs to raise tuition.
Come pay my tuition for a year and see if you still think that.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Tell that to France; they are known as well educated people (compared to here anyway) and they get it for free.
Yes but the difference is they don't let just anyone into university there. Over here, the requirements to get in are so low that people who have no business being here crowd up the classrooms. I have several friends who are on exchange in France and they say it's lightyears ahead of how it is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Let people who really knows the subjet talk about it, because you surely don't have a clue of what you're talking about!

...just for fun, what are you studying? Marketing?

...btw, if you complain that they're disturbing you while you study...what the **** are you doing writing on this board?!?
Marketing. So trust me, I know about people who are here for a free ride. Why do you think they changed the grading scheme in Marketing to make it nearly impossible to get an A (used to be 85+ is an A, now it's 95+).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshad View Post

You're mixing up what I said. I didn't say anything about people from France. I said that the cheaper the education, the more value it loses. Concordia isn't exactly seen as the best school in the world. Anybody can get in, for many it's their backup school. The people who can't afford it, but deserve to be here, ARE here. There are plenty of burseries and scholarships availible. They need to weed out the people who are here for the wrong reasons.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:19 PM
Habber

$3000 a year? Even if it goes up 50% it would still be incredibly cheap.

I paid over $3000 at the U of Sask in 1996, and it was closer to $5000 by the time I was done. And looking back on it, the investment was well worth it.

Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
LeHab

Quote:
It is a shame. Although I don't mind working while I'm in school (TA and RA) I should not have to stress about money as much as I do. I have the grades (and motivation) for graduate school (and I have applied) but the cost is making me second guess it.
I can't comment on other grad schools/programs but at UdeM I paid about 1100$/session for the first 3 sessions. It is a fixed price no matter how many courses you take. The later sessions where you do research and write you thesis are around $450/session insurance included.

In grad school if you have good grades and/or a good thesis director you have good chances of getting scholarships and other financial support + an opporunity to travel for free if you publish.

LeHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Thousands of people can get by paying 10 times the tuition we pay here in Montreal, I think so can you. Like I said, I made enough money working one summer to pay for 4 years of tuition, and I've never applied for any burseries or anything so that the people who DO need it can get it. Why have you no applied if it's such a concern for you?

Old
02-06-2007, 02:21 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Quote:

Holly MAMMA ! I'm in the library as we speak Where are u waffle ???

I'm a tall guy

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Slick Nick

IMO the tuitions could be raised a little in both U and Cegep, lets say 500$ a year for U and 200$ for CEGEP..

But I think the best thing to do would be to raise the tuitions to CEGEP "retards" who take 4 or 5 years to get their DEC.. I mean the first 2 years (general) and 3 years (technic) should remain pretty much the same fees, but once you're in your 3rd, 4th, 5th year in CEGEP you pay the big price...

Anyways...

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roen View Post
Holly MAMMA ! I'm in the library as we speak Where are u waffle ???

I'm a tall guy
Brown laptop desks on the 3rd floor. I'm not so tall.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
Mue

Quote:
Thousands of people can get by paying 10 times the tuition we pay here in Montreal, I think so can you. Like I said, I made enough money working one summer to pay for 4 years of tuition, and I've never applied for any burseries or anything so that the people who DO need it can get it. Why have you no applied if it's such a concern for you?
I have recieved scholarships and other funding (plus the RA and TA work)...

10 times the amount? My tuition is just under 5000...so no thanks...

And remember, it is not just tuition, students also pay rent, bills, etc.,

I would love to find a job in the summer that would pay me enough to pay everything...but it just has not happened.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:28 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
IMO the tuitions could be raised a little in both U and Cegep, lets say 500$ a year for U and 200$ for CEGEP..

But I think the best thing to do would be to raise the tuitions to CEGEP "retards" who take 4 or 5 years to get their DEC.. I mean the first 2 years (general) and 3 years (technic) should remain pretty much the same fees, but once you're in your 3rd, 4th, 5th year in CEGEP you pay the big price...

Anyways...
Agree 100%. There are too many people going for a free ride. Anyone in John Molson at Concordia knows what I mean...Having to do group projects basically by yourself, and the teachers say "it's a lesson for the real world."

They are kinda right, though.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:32 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
I have recieved scholarships and other funding (plus the RA and TA work)...

10 times the amount? My tuition is just under 5000...so no thanks...

And remember, it is not just tuition, students also pay rent, bills, etc.,

I would love to find a job in the summer that would pay me enough to pay everything...but it just has not happened.
I'm not sure what you are studying but you should look into working in the Co-op programs. You make about $11,000-12,000 per semester, working every other semester. They are pretty strict but it's well worth it. I'm no longer in the Co-op but I'm trying hard to get back in.