HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Graves Hangs On to N.H.L. Career by a Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2003, 12:00 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Graves Hangs On to N.H.L. Career by a Thread

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/12/06/sp...ey/06GRAV.html

Old
12-06-2003, 12:04 AM
Barnaby

Waive D-Lac or Dale. Sign Gravey train!!!!

Old
12-06-2003, 05:52 AM
dedalus

The guy defines the words "class" and "compassion." I really hope some team picks him up for its playoff drive. He deserves to play another couple of years if that's his wish.

Old
12-06-2003, 06:11 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Who can forget Graves, during the Cup celebration looking down in to the camera and chanting, "1940!"?

The guy is complete class. I would love to have him back on the Rangers with my heart. In my head however, I don't think it would be a good move.

Who knows, however, if this team is making a playoff push and he can help on the fourth line with Messier...

12-06-2003, 06:13 AM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
With the couple injury promlems we have now, effecting the 4th line.. I wouldnt mind bring Graves back.

Old
12-06-2003, 01:04 PM
JCProdigy

Just looking at the picture at the top of that article makes my heart swell up with pride that he represented the Rangers at the pinnacle of this organizations existence.

With that being said, if the Rangers found themselves in the thick of things come a few months from now then I would absolutely not be against having him on the team to ride 4th line shotgun on Mess's wing for the rest of this year. I'll take Graves-Messier-Lundmark/Ort/etc. every time as a 4th line for this team. You can say that he would get in the way of youth and in a sane world that would be true but realistically, in rangerland, the only guys he would be blocking are Rheume,D-Lac or Scott. A 30 year old minor leaguer,A guy that hasn't shown a thing this year and a career minor league/4th line enforcer.

Oh yeah I also knew the guy was smart.....took Penn State correspondance classes....at a boy Gravey!! The Icers could use him...

Old
12-06-2003, 03:45 PM
allrevvedup25

Can someone post the article please. Thanks in advance.

Old
12-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Edge

If some of the players on this team had Graves' heart to match their skills, all the rangers scoring records would be broken.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:13 AM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shapa999
If Graves had any pride left, he would take out scissors and cut the thread.
Many would say the same of you and your membership on this board, my friend.

Old
12-07-2003, 06:26 AM
33teddy33

Send a message via ICQ to 33teddy33 Send a message via AIM to 33teddy33 Send a message via Yahoo to 33teddy33
Quote:
If Graves had any pride left, he would take out scissors and cut the thread.
blasphemy - slap yourself shapa.....
*good*

Old
12-07-2003, 10:03 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
It is really pathetic how people get obsessed over a player, get over it already, no going back to 1994, so stop living in the past.
i dont think anybody is obsessing about graves. its wrong for people to wish somebody well? you took a needless cheap shot a rangers great. expect to get flamed!

Old
12-07-2003, 11:02 AM
barnaby63

Quote:
It is really pathetic how people get obsessed over a player, get over it already, no going back to 1994, so stop living in the past.
and you dont have a liking for certain players over others?

*cough*hlavac*cough*

graves helped us win the cup and has done ALOT for the community in new york and also in san jose and toronto. to take a shot at him shows how ignorant and immature you are.

1994!1994!

Old
12-07-2003, 11:54 AM
dedalus

Quote:
The only people who would flame me for this are irrational fools that try to recapture 1994 glory in their head and don't want to face the reality that Graves is old, slow, and can't score.
Or those who couldn't care less if he's "old, slow, and can't score" because they recognize that Adam Graves is a genuinely decent human being who deserves respect and kindness on his merits as a human being. (You lack that respect as you lack many, many other traits, pasha.)

The things he does for a community go SO far beyond his on-ice contributions that any comparison between the two is nonsensical. Those who wish Graves well do so not because they are trying to recreate the past. (If you'd taken the trouble to note their names you'd find that most of them don't even want Messier around.) They wish Adam Graves well because they admire him for what he's done with his LIFE, not on the ice.

If all you can see are his contributions as a hockey player, fair enough. Your tunnel vision is well-known and most of us take it as a matter of course, but please don't be fool enough to expect that people will do nothing while you take personal shots at a man who's contributed more to his community than you almost certainly will in your entire lifetime.

And don't try to pawn off their honest anger as mere fantasy about the past. It makes you look more the simpleton than you generally do.

Old
12-07-2003, 12:15 PM
Trottier
Very Random

From the article:

"I think Adam will be remembered more as a person than as a hockey player, which is a real tribute to an athlete, for sure," defenseman Brian Leetch, Graves's longtime Ranger teammate, said this week.

Speaks volumes about #9, as it does same for #2.

Old
12-07-2003, 01:56 PM
Edge

Trottier that Avatar is awesome, you had me laughing so hard.

As for Graves, Shapa isn't totally without his points as we all know there are some people around here who would waive lacouture for graves. while i do love graves, his playing days are about over and i'd feel a little better if he left on his own terms rather than being forced out.

Old
12-07-2003, 02:47 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
while i do love graves, his playing days are about over and i'd feel a little better if he left on his own terms rather than being forced out.
That sentiment is QUITE a bit different from the statement that Graves has no pride.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:15 PM
barnaby63

Quote:
The only people who would flame me for this are irrational fools that try to recapture 1994 glory in their head and don't want to face the reality that Graves is old, slow, and can't score.
we were saying how great of a guy he is and that we wish him well, nothing about him coming back and you come out and say he has no pride? what is your problem?

*if he didnt have a problem with my original post then there was no need to edit it.*

again i say that pasha is ignorant and disrespectful.

Last edited by barnaby63: 12-08-2003 at 11:18 AM.
Old
12-07-2003, 03:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
we were saying how great of a guy he is and that we wish him well, nothing about him coming back and you come out and say he has no pride? what is your problem?
Barny, most of us have learned that the best way to handle Pasha is to simply ignore him. I don't pay attention to the guy muttering to himself in Times Square and I don't pay attention to Pasha.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
That sentiment is QUITE a bit different from the statement that Graves has no pride.
Well i'm not saying i would have worded it that way

Old
12-07-2003, 04:29 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Adam Graves

He, Richter, Leetch and Messier are the only true Rangers I've ever seen in my life time. I'll never forget the great chemistry they all had during their prime years. I felt Graves and Richter were always the least appreciated throughout the league, I would absolutely love to see him work for the Rangers whether it be coaching or being a color guy, he should always be welcomed here.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:48 PM
JCProdigy

Edge: I guess I'm one of the one's who'd give him a one year shot on the fourth line instead of D-Lac. I figure the Rangers are gonna lose D-lac on waivers one of these years anyways. I'm not trying to relive the past or whatever else anybody wants to say. He adds leadership and character that the team could use and hopefully it would rub off on guys like Lundmark and Ortmeyer. I'm not screaming for it to happen and I wouldn't care if it didn't, just saying I wouldn't be against it.

Dedalus: Is it even worth it? This is the same guy who spent a month trying to defend Billy Tibbetts...

Old
12-07-2003, 07:51 PM
Hockeycrazed07

Send a message via ICQ to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via AIM to Hockeycrazed07 Send a message via Yahoo to Hockeycrazed07
As a non-Sharks fan living in SJ, I can attest to Gravey being a class act both on the ice and more importantly off. He is among an elite group of genuine nice guys in the NHL. Works his tail off for his team, despite some talent flaws in his game today, and works even harder off the ice to build up the community and help a team win fans. I'm saddened that he's not back in SJ this year.

~Crazed.

Old
12-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Trottier that Avatar is awesome, you had me laughing so hard.

As for Graves, Shapa isn't totally without his points as we all know there are some people around here who would waive lacouture for graves. while i do love graves, his playing days are about over and i'd feel a little better if he left on his own terms rather than being forced out.
Maybe not D-Lac, but I'd waive Dale "I'm too good for a conditioning stint" Purinton. I don't care if Graves doesn't touch the ice more then a few games. I would just like to see some of his hard work and attitude rub off on guys like Lundmark.

Old
12-07-2003, 10:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Edge: I guess I'm one of the one's who'd give him a one year shot on the fourth line instead of D-Lac. I figure the Rangers are gonna lose D-lac on waivers one of these years anyways. I'm not trying to relive the past or whatever else anybody wants to say. He adds leadership and character that the team could use and hopefully it would rub off on guys like Lundmark and Ortmeyer. I'm not screaming for it to happen and I wouldn't care if it didn't, just saying I wouldn't be against it.

Dedalus: Is it even worth it? This is the same guy who spent a month trying to defend Billy Tibbetts...
I'm not opposed to signing him for a limited role, but i am not sure i want him in place of lacouture at this point. not that D-lac is a valuable piece to the puzzle, but he fights, checks and is descent 4th liner. i dunno if graves has anything left except character. and that's coming from someone who considered him their favorite ranger till they day he was traded.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:13 AM
Barnaby

Must be magic... my post dissapeared

Closed Thread