HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Best single-team rookie crop ever

Old
02-05-2007, 11:20 PM
captainpierce

vCash: 500
Best single-team rookie crop ever

What do you think is the best single-team rookie crop ever? I'd say the best one I know of is the 1985-86 Canadiens, who had 10 rookies(including Roy, Lemieux, Skrudland, Richer, Lalor, etc.) on their playoff roster and won the Cup. Some other notable ones that come to mind for me include the 1980-81 Oilers(Coffey, Kurri, Anderson) and the 1992-93 Jets(Selanne, Tkachuk, Zhamnov).

captainpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-05-2007, 11:41 PM
crashlanding

Man those are pretty damn good rookie crops.

NJ's best was probably 99-00, Gomez, Rafalski, Madden, White. Gomez and Rafalski were named to the all rookie team, and White (who played 21 regular season games and all 23 playoff games) was named to the all rookie team the following season. Madden also tied an NHL rookie record with 6 shorthanded goals that year (it will probably be broken by Staal this year, he has 5 I think).

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:13 AM
looooob

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpierce View Post
What do you think is the best single-team rookie crop ever? I'd say the best one I know of is the 1985-86 Canadiens, who had 10 rookies(including Roy, Lemieux, Skrudland, Richer, Lalor, etc.) on their playoff roster and won the Cup. Some other notable ones that come to mind for me include the 1980-81 Oilers(Coffey, Kurri, Anderson) and the 1992-93 Jets(Selanne, Tkachuk, Zhamnov).
85-86 was an interesting year, in the finals the Habs (with their 10 rookies) faced the Flames who had 3 notable rookies (Vernon, Otto, Suter, but also had a few other guys who either played or were in the pressbox including Brett Hull, Brian Bradley and Gary Roberts)

looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:33 AM
Pwnasaurus

all great crops. Ducks best was last year for certain...

Getzlaf, Perry, Penner, Bryzgalov, Beauchemin and Kunitz were all technically rookies if I recall.

Pwnasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote