HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Proposal: The Best non-superstar aquisition

Old
02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
El Wama

vCash: 500
Proposal: The Best non-superstar aquisition

I'll make it real simple..

Which player in the league(in a team that's not contending) do you think that can help the most the Habs, not being a superstar or a 30-35 goal scorer?

I'm so damn tired about everyone talking about: let's aquire a big centerman or a first line player.. Well guess what? I don't give a **** about having a big time playmaker or scorer. Sorry but i'll explain.

I talked to Luc Gelinas before the game against Ottawa last week in my local radio show -he's from St-Boniface and my boss(Source for Sports) is his best friend- and said to me how important is for Guy Carbonneau to relie in his leaders. But RIGHT NOW, who's the real leader in the dressing room?

Every team that won the Stanley Cup in the past years had some veterans that can show the way, or put their bodies in the line, sacrifice them selves to win a game.. Brind'Amour, Andreychuck, Yzerman, Shanahan, Sakic, Bourque, Steevens, Blake, Madden,...

I'm not questionning the fact that Koivu isn't a good leader, but the type of leadership that he brings differs a lot. He puts points in the scoresheet by playing at his max level. But right now, he's not scoring, and that affects the team because he's the in-rink leader, with I think, Sheldon Souray. And it pisses me off that some may be happy that Souray will quit the team after the year when he is one hell of a leader and one of the most producing d-man in the league.

Rivet is a leader, he has the caracter of a leader, but since he was left of the game in MTL against Atlanta, he took a blow, he's more scared, he doesn't take chances, he's softier and that affects the other players that see one leader of the team playing without girt like he always does. Like Bouillon.. ok he wad injured, I understand, but you can see that he doesn't take chances like he did last year in the playoffs.

Kovalev is money 1 game out of three, and he's consider as a leader. He gives the exemple to the other player. And look. Samsonov and Perezhogin and gifted, talented, but thye lack of passion, really. They are professional, but when a leader shows the right way and works his but off, they others will do the same.

We really miss Begin, really.

I just want a player that can shake up the team in terms of leadership, a player that can take the level of Koivu, Rivet and Kovalev higher, and then, we'll see. Because in paper, we have a depth team, we have talent, a good PP and PK, but lack of consistancy.

I want Mike Sillinger type of player, that's it.

What do you think? Who can help us without scoring tons of goal?

It wasn't that simple thought..

Mike Sillinger for Micheal Ryder?

El Wama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:16 AM
le_sean

A team that lacks scoring should not give up a young 30 goal forward unless they get something better in return. Plus I'm sure the Isles appreciate Sillinger and what he brings to the table, so they wouldn't trade him in the middle of a playoff hunt.

A better idea would be to get Ian Laperriere from Colorado, if they keep falling in the standings. I think he brings exactly what this team needs, since he is not afraid to drop the gloves (I don't think Sillinger is much of a fighter). Could you imagine a Begin - Lapierre - Laperriere line in the playoffs? Would be pretty nasty. Not to mention some announcers might have a field day with the two Laps.

I might even give up a 1st for him, as he would cost a lot since he brings so much to the table and I'm sure a bidding war. The cap hit is only $1.06 million i think. It's also addition by subtraction in a sense since he can fight the Habs don't need to dress Downey or Murray.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:47 AM
habitants9_4

I think Kyle Calder from Philly would be good....we could play him on a 4th line, he adds more depth to the C position, and hes a guy who can play offense...I would really like to see what he has in the playoffs....cuz who knows some people just step it up...and as far as I can remember he hasn't played in the playoffs yet..

Streit Koivu Ryder
Latendresse Plekanec Kovalev
Higgins Calder Johnson
Samsonov Bonk Perezhogin
Murray Begin Downey

I know those lines don't look too good with Streit on the top line, but I think he is going to start getting a lot of points soon....He's quick to the net, and those types of guys score......Soon he's gonna wish he had been a forward all his life...( knock on wood)

habitants9_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 06:45 AM
mcphee

I've suspected for awhile that Calder would end up here. I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but I think they want a gritty winger, have for 2 years, and they like this guy.

Whenever I've seen Calder in WC's, I've been disapointed, in terms of finesse. He looks to me like a guy who works the crease area and boards, and can't do much in open ice, but my opinion's limited on the guy. Just a hunch,but...

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I like the idea of getting a cheap gritty guy. Whether it's one who leads, but is perhaps slowed on the ice and has an off-putting contract (Lapointe), one who leads by constant-hustling example and can still get around the ice a bit (Gelinas), a younger one who is heading to free agency (Calder), or even our long-lost son Laperriere (although I don't know that Colorado would be in the same situation as the other 3 teams in terms of moving him), any of that, whatever comes cheapest basically, would be fine with me. It might not turn out to matter much, or it might be the last little spice that makes everything tick, I don't think we could predict. Lapointe's contract is the biggest risk in that situation. But that sort of thing might make him (or a player in a situation like his, anyway) cheaper to acquire.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:39 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I understand Sergei Samsonov is available

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:11 AM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Mother-TUCKER?........

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:13 AM
HomaridII

How about Anson Carter? Wouldn't mind having him around to play LW on our second or third lines.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:15 AM
hab

Gary Roberts would be a nice addition, hard to say whether he would want to play here or not( some players are picky)

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Habitants

Shane Doan

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:18 AM
rudethedude66

[QUOTE='SKiZO[X];7932679']I'll make it real simple..

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
mike sillinger too...he can play everywhere

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Jason Blake does all that, and scores.
That being said he's not available, or at least iI highly doubt it.

02-06-2007, 01:03 PM
El Wama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
Shane Doan
For what..!

El Wama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:15 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKiZO[X] View Post
I'll make it real simple..

Which player in the league(in a team that's not contending) do you think that can help the most the Habs, not being a superstar or a 30-35 goal scorer?

I'm so damn tired about everyone talking about: let's aquire a big centerman or a first line player.. Well guess what? I don't give a **** about having a big time playmaker or scorer. Sorry but i'll explain.

I talked to Luc Gelinas before the game against Ottawa last week in my local radio show -he's from St-Boniface and my boss(Source for Sports) is his best friend- and said to me how important is for Guy Carbonneau to relie in his leaders. But RIGHT NOW, who's the real leader in the dressing room?

Every team that won the Stanley Cup in the past years had some veterans that can show the way, or put their bodies in the line, sacrifice them selves to win a game.. Brind'Amour, Andreychuck, Yzerman, Shanahan, Sakic, Bourque, Steevens, Blake, Madden,...

I'm not questionning the fact that Koivu isn't a good leader, but the type of leadership that he brings differs a lot. He puts points in the scoresheet by playing at his max level. But right now, he's not scoring, and that affects the team because he's the in-rink leader, with I think, Sheldon Souray. And it pisses me off that some may be happy that Souray will quit the team after the year when he is one hell of a leader and one of the most producing d-man in the league.

Rivet is a leader, he has the caracter of a leader, but since he was left of the game in MTL against Atlanta, he took a blow, he's more scared, he doesn't take chances, he's softier and that affects the other players that see one leader of the team playing without girt like he always does. Like Bouillon.. ok he wad injured, I understand, but you can see that he doesn't take chances like he did last year in the playoffs.

Kovalev is money 1 game out of three, and he's consider as a leader. He gives the exemple to the other player. And look. Samsonov and Perezhogin and gifted, talented, but thye lack of passion, really. They are professional, but when a leader shows the right way and works his but off, they others will do the same.

We really miss Begin, really.

I just want a player that can shake up the team in terms of leadership, a player that can take the level of Koivu, Rivet and Kovalev higher, and then, we'll see. Because in paper, we have a depth team, we have talent, a good PP and PK, but lack of consistancy.

I want Mike Sillinger type of player, that's it.

What do you think? Who can help us without scoring tons of goal?

It wasn't that simple thought..

Mike Sillinger for Micheal Ryder?
What would you know about the state of the Habs dressing room? Have you ever been?

We desperately need a superstar player more than anything else. The Habs don't have a single game breaker on the team, just guys who could swing the momentum around. In 86 and 93 we had Patrick Roy playing some of the best hockey of his life through the entire playoffs. Who do we have who can control games for us this year? No one.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Maxpac

the answer is none, Every postion is fully covered, forward, defensmen and goalie. We need someone with game breaaking abilities, my dream being Peter Forsberg, that's all there is to it

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Kafka

Kovalev needs a center that will drag him. Sadly, I don't think there will be any on the market. Guys like Stumpel, Smolinski or Weight (don't think he will be traded) at first though look like the only available centers... and I doubt the third name is available. Bonk should be the one on the current roster IMO. He was doing well with Hossa: should be working with Kovalev.

Still, there is also the option to give some NHL icetime to Grabovski in order for him to be prepared for post-season games (if Habs make the cut).

Fact is there won't be as many sellers as in the past because several teams will still be in the run for a playoff spot at the trade deadline.

I hope management will learn from this year and will give more time to the youth in order to stay at least 5M$ under the cap next season and then add a salary or two for the playoffs.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I like the idea of getting a cheap gritty guy. Whether it's one who leads, but is perhaps slowed on the ice and has an off-putting contract (Lapointe), one who leads by constant-hustling example and can still get around the ice a bit (Gelinas), a younger one who is heading to free agency (Calder), or even our long-lost son Laperriere (although I don't know that Colorado would be in the same situation as the other 3 teams in terms of moving him), any of that, whatever comes cheapest basically, would be fine with me. It might not turn out to matter much, or it might be the last little spice that makes everything tick, I don't think we could predict. Lapointe's contract is the biggest risk in that situation. But that sort of thing might make him (or a player in a situation like his, anyway) cheaper to acquire.
I like all those guys, but probably Gelinas the most once everything is factored in (experience, cost, versatility). There's others too, like Gratton and Scatchard, but they don't really add much to the list except lumbering size and recent disappointment.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Guy Caballero

Roberts could be a good guy for the drive this year if you want a really low cost player. I'd love to see him replace Samsonov on that line.

If we're going to give more, Guerin would be a good one.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote