HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Acquiring another D-Man - Carolina's surplus D

Old
02-06-2007, 02:10 PM
senility

vCash: 500
Fuhr 86, I accept your thesis that Corvo is light years beyond Novak, but I still think he might be a decent aquisition for our number 8 spot. If not him, then someone at about his level on a two-way contract would be nice to have in the organization for depth purposes. After Schubert it gets perilously thin.

senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:37 PM
Roy G Biv*

Novak was arguably a better AHL D-man than Corvo was for the Monarchs. If given Corvo's icetime in Ottawa, he'd probably do no worse than him.

Novak WOULD be our #1 callup from Bingo. I don't get why you find that so difficult to digest. Jamie Allison anyone?

Just because he isn't in the CBJ top 4 isn't a reason to dismiss him. I recall the Coyotes putting Daniel Briere on waivers...

Roy G Biv* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:40 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
I wouldn't mind getting Novak back at all, but I would prefer to go the veteran route if we got an 8th defenseman (which I think we need).

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:52 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
I wouldn't mind getting Novak back at all, but I would prefer to go the veteran route if we got an 8th defenseman (which I think we need).
So would I. I was just defending Novak.

Possibilities (without looking into contracts):
Ruslan Salei
Aaron Miller
Jassen Cullimore
Bryce Salvadore

Old
02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy G Biv View Post

Ruslan Salei
Aaron Miller
Jassen Cullimore
Bryce Salvadore
Salei would cost way too much to pickup but the other three I could see.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
trentmccleary

Why are we so opposed to calling up a defenseman with almost 400 NHL games of experience to be our 8th D-man... a good portion of which he averaged 12 mins a game in?

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Ferley

personally im happy with the way we are now....if we come to play night in night out we will be fine

Ferley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:05 PM
DaveMatthew

Here are some possibilities:
(all are on non-playoff teams, make under a million dollars and will be UFAs)

- Jamie Rivers
- Jamie Heward
- Bryan Muir
- Joel Kwiatkowski
- Joel Bouchard
- Jason York
- Anders Eriksson
- Duvie Westcott

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:07 PM
senility

But if we get somebody of the Salei/Miller calibre, who do you suppose is going to be sitting out when the team is fully healthy? Based on their quality of play, I guess it has to be Corvo, but he is paid way too much for that. If we go the vet route, would it not be wiser to get somebody who is clearly in the 7-8 position to serve as a kind of player/coach/cheerleader, but who has been around long enough to be a capable fill in if the injury gods become displeased with us. That was the reasoning behind my Klee suggestion, although I know he's old, slow and not really all that good anymore. The advantage of targetting somebody like that (in addition to the fact that they wouldn't cost us more than a late round pick) is that there may even be enough cap space left over to chase a depth forward to play the same kind of role.

In response to the previous post, I have thought before that something like Gelinas and Kwiatkowski for a 3rd rounder might be a pretty solid deal that would not force us to give up a roster player. If that's not enough to land those two, maybe Hamel and a 3rd? A big no to York and Rivers. Both are long done.

Last edited by senility: 02-06-2007 at 03:12 PM.
senility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:

Ruslan Salei
Aaron Miller
Jassen Cullimore
Bryce Salvadore
All of those guys are top 6 defensemen, and personally, I'd put them all ahead of Schubert at this point. I dunno if we'd pay the price required to get one of them.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Why are we so opposed to calling up a defenseman with almost 400 NHL games of experience to be our 8th D-man... a good portion of which he averaged 12 mins a game in?
I haven't seen him play much but from his stats it looks like he was only good enough to be a part-time D-man in the old NHL. His three busiest seasons were 59, 48 and 47 games.

If he wasn't good enough in the era when 220lb. defencemen could clutch and grab, then he's probably worse now that he's older and slower in the new NHL.

That said, he's no Brad Norton.

RTWAP* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:59 PM
discostu

Quote:
I was going to reply that it was because he hasn't look good in Binghamton, because the impresssion that I was getting was that our defence has been horrible, but, a quick look at some of the B-Sens grades, and, it looks like my assessment was wrong. He was given a favourable review by our Bingo posters here.

Maybe we're not as week in this area as I thought. Still, having someone else in that range would probably help. It sounds like after Allison, we're really thin, with ECHL call-up JF David as the next best option.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I was going to reply that it was because he hasn't look good in Binghamton, because the impresssion that I was getting was that our defence has been horrible, but, a quick look at some of the B-Sens grades, and, it looks like my assessment was wrong. He was given a favourable review by our Bingo posters here.

Maybe we're not as week in this area as I thought. Still, having someone else in that range would probably help. It sounds like after Allison, we're really thin, with ECHL call-up JF David as the next best option.
Allison looked terrible in his short time here, and in Nashville as well. Players with skating deficiencies seem to do a lot better in the AHL, where the game is much slower.

Even Brad Norton did pretty well for Bingo last year.

Old
02-06-2007, 04:20 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
I haven't seen him play much but from his stats it looks like he was only good enough to be a part-time D-man in the old NHL. His three busiest seasons were 59, 48 and 47 games.

If he wasn't good enough in the era when 220lb. defencemen could clutch and grab, then he's probably worse now that he's older and slower in the new NHL.

That said, he's no Brad Norton.
That's all he was, a #7 defenseman. Using him as our #8 doesn't seem too crazy to me. He's a tough, stay at home guy. Maybe he isn't all that talented, but if he plays within his limitations... he won't hurt us if he's called upon and that's all we should ask from a #8, IMO.

Also, while Buffalo used 10 defensemen. Anaheim used 6 and Carolina & Edmonton only used 7 each. Tverdovsky only played 5 games (as the 7th D-man in those games, no top-6 D-man missed a game). Tarnstrom played 12 games for Edmonton.

Old
02-06-2007, 04:21 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Allison looked terrible in his short time here, and in Nashville as well.
Preseason?

Old
02-06-2007, 05:24 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
That's all he was, a #7 defenseman. Using him as our #8 doesn't seem too crazy to me.
Agreed. It's not crazy at all.

But I still wish the Sens could improve the defensive depth for the playoffs. Maybe it's silly, but I would hate it if we finally got a chance to play in the finals, only to suffer from the lack of a depth player that could have been acquired for a mid-round draft pick.

Old
02-07-2007, 10:31 AM
rban*

Well, you guys have convinced me that some depth in this area would be desirable. But as Senility has pointed out, if we get someone good, then we have a bad choice to make: sit him out in the absence of injuries, or else sit out Corvo (too expensive to sit out). It's OK to sit a defenseman if he's only making a million or maybe 1.5 at the most, but beyond that.... and on the other hand if we get a D making less than that, he may not be good enough to fill in as a 6th if we need him.

It's a tough choice, and I hate to beat a dead horse, but I wish Corvo were NOT our 6th D.

Question: if we were able to trade Corvo before the dealine, and pick up two serviceable D, for 1 million dollars apiece, who'd be available for that price? I know we've listed possible D-men, but I notice we didn't include their salary in the listing...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:19 PM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
Question: if we were able to trade Corvo before the dealine, and pick up two serviceable D, for 1 million dollars apiece, who'd be available for that price? I know we've listed possible D-men, but I notice we didn't include their salary in the listing...
Answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post

- Jamie Rivers
- Jamie Heward
- Bryan Muir
- Joel Kwiatkowski
- Joel Bouchard
- Jason York
- Anders Eriksson
- Duvie Westcott
And.

Quote:

Possibilities (without looking into contracts) (RTWAP: contracts added):
Ruslan Salei (~$3 mil/yr for 3 more years after this one)
Aaron Miller (UFA: $2.4mil annual cap hit)
Jassen Cullimore (one more year - $1.9 mil annual cap hit)
Bryce Salvadore (one more year - $1.4 mil annual cap hit)
Maybe we can grab someone half decent on a waiver call-up. If they were making $500K and we're only paying half, that's about $75K or so.

Old
02-07-2007, 02:46 PM
rban*

I must be blind, missed that...

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
- Duvie Westcott
Wetscott signed a contract extension this year. Plus, he's a top 6 defenseman so I wouldn't have seen him as a real option.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:55 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
The Bluejackets are winning %42.5 of possible points with Novak OUT of the lineup, but they are winning %58.3 of possible points with Novak IN the lineup.

I think the figures speak for themselves.
Heh, that's almost as good as the "Redden Factor" in terms of Ottawa's record.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote