HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Predators @ Penguins - 2.6.07

Old
02-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Jarnberg

vCash: 500
Trotz better do something to get them going. You can't just sleep your way through a game.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

that should be game.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:31 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Fugly

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Does Zidlicky have any value left at all?

Old
02-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

we are a **** team without Weber

Old
02-06-2007, 08:59 PM
AdmiralPred

Brookbank keeping his name relevant to the scoresheet. Nice, since these two teams won't see each other again for ...well...

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Jarnberg

Perhaps the worst game played by the Predators all season. Lifeless, careless, nothing. How in the world do you go from beating Anaheim 3-0 to losing 4-1 to Pittsburgh? Pittsburgh didn't do anything special tonight, they just buried their chances.

Nashville looked flat out terrible and deserved this loss.

Kariya, Dumont, Arnott, Sullivan? No where to be found.

I think the highlight of the game for me was seeing Radulov, Kariya and FIDDLER on a line together towards the end of the game (Zanon out as well).

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:02 PM
Dextrous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T Choker View Post
we are a **** team without Weber
I wouldn't quite say that. I didn't watch the game but the pens are on fire lately. And often a hot team beats a better overall team. Especially one with a major injury and other battling the flu.

Fleury is playing great lately. I would say if he finishes the season like this he has passed lehtonen and has really established himself as maybe the best goalie 22 and under.

Dextrous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextrous View Post
I wouldn't quite say that. I didn't watch the game but the pens are on fire lately. And often a hot team beats a better overall team. Especially one with a major injury and other battling the flu.

Fleury is playing great lately. I would say if he finishes the season like this he has passed lehtonen and has really established himself as maybe the best goalie 22 and under.
honestly, I don't think he played all that well, tonight. he had a couple big saves, but he also gave up some huge rebounds and left a lot of net open.

we simply couldn't finish it.

Old
02-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Dextrous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids View Post
honestly, I don't think he played all that well, tonight. he had a couple big saves, but he also gave up some huge rebounds and left a lot of net open.

we simply couldn't finish it.
Either way if you saw the Montreal game(2nd he was like early season fleury, improved but a big rebound mistake on the Plek goal) the first one he was great. Made huge stops when needed, and always seems to make the routine ones now usually without bad rebounds. Hes working on his composure and its showing. Maybe not amazing, but timely goaltending is part of this 11 game point streak

Dextrous* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:13 PM
phillypensfan

Send a message via ICQ to phillypensfan
Hope you guys don't mind me, but it was a pretty good game tonight. Got a little chippy a couple times, but nothing major, which is a change from the last couple games.

As for Fleury, he has been HUGE for us lately, and one of the biggest reasons we're able to win these games lately. He is hot, and getting the playing time like he deserves.

Too bad we won't play you guys again for another couple years, was a good game.

phillypensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
predfan24

I think this was the worst game of the year thus far. Didn't seem to be no urgency and except for the 4th line No one seemed to care. Preds have been struggling on the road lately. Aberration or trend? What do you guys think?

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I thought the Pens played a good game, but definitely not a great or dominating game. Our guys didn't look into it tonight. We weren't willing to break through the defensive system in the third period, and we just weren't willing to pay the price for goals. Ah well, we will get them next time. I definitely think that this had the potential to be a high scoring affair because we were able to abuse their defense generally at will (until the third period when it seemed like we simply quit trying.)

02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
petrskudra1

Just got back from the game. Must compliment your team in the offensive zone, you guys just never stop moving and it lead to many good chances.

petrskudra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
Dumont with 2 goals in his last 18 games. Seems like if the puck isn't on his stick, he isn't working. Numerous times tonight the puck bounced off his stick or was within a few feet and he decided to watch it slide onto the stick of another player. Not scoring is one thing, but crappy work ethic is another. The only time he showed any heart was after he got lit up while looking down at the puck at mid-ice.

Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Uppie101

I thought that Upshall had an awesome game. Oh that's right, he wasn't in the lineup.

Uppie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:27 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I was looking forward to this game all season. Too bad the Pred's didn't show up, actually they just showed up for the first period. Maybe they were just frozen by the arctic temps.

The Hordichuk hit is when the entire game turned around. The Pens woke up and we didn't answer. Pens scored 2 goals within 5 minutes of his hit.

Nice shot by Brookbank for his first NHL point.

We did keep Crosby in check fairly well, didn't let him get in alone to do his thing even though he did get a couple of assists. Not that being in any kind of traffic has ever really stopped Crosby. Pens are just hot right now but I thought we would have made a game of it. Just disappointed by our effort after the Anaheim game. Half the time it looked like we had puck repellant on our sticks. We looked like we were skating in mud while the Pens were flying.

Both goalies played well. Only the Recchi goal was a bad goal to give up by Mason.

All this talk about how we're a good road team and here we're stuck on 18 road wins and lost 3 in a row (nine of those 18 came against stl,cbj,chi).

And too much time in the box!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:17 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppie101 View Post
I thought that Upshall had an awesome game. Oh that's right, he wasn't in the lineup.
Don't worry, we're going to waive him soon, and another team will pick him up so you can say "I told you so" when he gets the first line minutes he deserves and scores 50 goals next year.

Old
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
handtrick

Some interesting quotes:

Defenseman Marek Zidlicky was responsible for three of the Pittsburgh power plays; he was called for hooking on three separate occasions.

"He leads the team in (minor penalties) right now and that's very disappointing,'' Predators Coach Barry Trotz said. "You can only be a top player when you're on the ice, and we expect him to be a top player.

"When you take three, or even two penalties, you have to answer to your teammates. He already knows what I think about it.''

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....702070470/1028

_____

"We usually shoot to score all the time. Sometimes when you shoot to score you miss the net and you don’t get that second chance because you are going for a certain area of the net. As a result your shot total is not that high.”

Trotz admits that sometimes the “shoot to score” approach can be a detriment.

“Sometimes it hurts us because we don’t create enough disruption in the crease area,’ Trotz said. “But when we are hitting those spots we can score five or six goals. We shoot to score. We shoot for the corners.”

Trying to get his players to increase the shot total has been a difficult challenge.

“Sometimes when you are having success you can say something and talk about it, but when it comes down to it, then it falls on deaf ears,” Trotz said. “We have some guys who are pretty high quality shooters. To just play it off the goaltender is not in their mindset. But when they get too cute is when it hurts us.”

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index....&news_id=54487

____

"I think we played arrogant in the first period."

Trotz interview between the 1st and 2nd period

handtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
AdsSabresRule

Upshall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uppie101 View Post
Gosh, what is your deal with Scottie? Honestly, even down here in MILW he is not exactly been a 'world beater'. He's had I don't know how many seasons to be someone special, and I just don't think rhe kids shows up mentally half the time...Yes, I think Nashville will get something for him, if they package him, but believe me, no other GMs/scouts are burning up the lines to your GM asking, "What about Scottie - WHAT ABOUT SCOTTIE!"

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:39 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
My thoughts

Zidlicky killed us. Our best period was the first period, well the times that we could actually skate without being shorthanded. Then the Pens scored on Zids powerplay and took the momentum for the rest of the game.

It also looked like we may have been out-coached. I dotn know what Trotz thinks sometimes. Examples:

-Every time Hordichuk was on the ice, the Pens came unglued, yet Hordi played his usual 2 minutes per game.
-A line with Rads, Kariya, and Fiddler?
-For the first half of the game we looked like Detroit, puck posessing and controlling the game. Then we get behind and go into crazy mode with all the no look stretch passes to no one in particular, couldnt connect, couldnt posses, how does that happen?

That 3rd goal that Mason let in really was a back breaker too.

but you cant be down too much, we are still number 1 in the entire league.

[playing like this against Detroit might take care of that though]

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:31 AM
AdsSabresRule

Physical play...

From what I'm seeing/hearing, your thoughts about Hordi might be an insight into what is happening slowly around the league. With the 'new rules', and the crackdown on large, physical players who, in the old days, were paid as 'muscle' - it seems almost as if we've come full circle. Now, there is not the level of fighting majors as seen in the past, however, the fact that many teams have gone smaller, quicker, and more skilled in the forward and even defense positions, teams that have maintained an intimidating, physical presense are showing the value of that strategy. I read on another sight that Nashville may be looking to pick up a physical, grinder type for the playoffs. We all know that the way to keep Buffalo off of their game is to pound them physically. One of the worst moves the Pens made was getting rid of Andre Roy - and conversly getting hime back was a great move in TB. Anaheim is just crazy with their intimidation game. I think that down the stretch, as forwards are getting popped - and hurt, and the intensity and fire of the playoffs gets kicked up, teams like Anaheim, and maybe even an Atlanta, are going to have an edge due to the intimidation/physical element...IMO.

AdsSabresRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdsSabresRule View Post
One of the worst moves the Pens made was getting rid of Andre Roy - and conversly getting hime back was a great move in TB.
Roy is getting 3 minutes of ice time and he doesn't scare anyone.

Pens75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Fraserburn

Send a message via MSN to Fraserburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybax View Post
Roy is getting 3 minutes of ice time and he doesn't scare anyone.
Goons arent the answer

players like Wendel Clark are the answer
problem arent any players like him left

Fraserburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:22 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserburn View Post
Goons arent the answer