HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Team 990

Old
02-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Raider917

vCash: 179
get another guy to do morencys old slot. Anything is better than ESPN radio. all they ever talk about is the joke of a league called the NBA.

Raider917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Dutch

vCash: 500
Gotta agree with some of you guys here.

Casavant etc. in the morning: I like, but can't get myself to listen to it often (When I can, since I live in Sherbrooke)

Stock: Big, big, big fan. He's a good story teller and the fact that he's lived in the hockey world makes up from his lack of radio experience. Yes he still needs polishing, but he's got potential. He's already better than a year ago and he'll be better next year.

Haven't listened to Melnyk lately, but I used to like it before, so I guess nothing has changed.

About the ESPN stuff, the thing I like most about it is that they talk about the NCAA, which no program on the Team does. However, I can't stand Dan Patrick's voice.

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 09:57 PM
HABS_FrEaK

This is great guys keep the feed back comming

HABS_FrEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 10:38 PM
les3couleurs

Love the morning show. Like all three of them. Can't get enough of them.
Also love McGuire's interventions on Melnick's show. A
Aside from that, I don't mind the Montreal Forum and don't listen to the rest.

les3couleurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:05 PM
BORAT

Ok, now that the monkies have throw crap, the zookeeper Borat steps in.

I listen to the Team 990 inside my plush Volvo every morning ( my daughters hate it .... HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE )

I put it on in my factory and the employees love it : I polled them about it a bit, and 5 CLEAR things comes out

1 - They don't like the weird guy who replaces Dan Patrick although they have breakouts for the NCAA so it helps them at times.

2 - They don't like the old Madman on sunday nights ... Ted Tevan, his honda commercials sound like someone has a gun to his head ...

3 - They love '' Picard '' he's a whiny banana brain, but he sure has ALOT of knowledge.

4 - WE LOVE ELLIOT PRICE

5 - BILL LEE !!! Where is the Spaceman !!!!!!

What we don't like :

1 - Improvised Commercials about : Vargas ( we get it Mitch ... they grill ...)

2 - Dumb commercials about PE ( I thought it was gym class ... )

3 - Lorne Ruben commercials ... he sounds like a Car Saleman ...

BORAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
Quiet Robert

Come on BORAT, Tevin is great. I can understand why someone such as yourself wouldn't like him.

He is a little out there, but he is enjoyable. He talks too much about horse racing, but he still knows his stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchpee
Yeah, but it comes down to taste in the end I guess.

I don't disagree with your comments about Stock, but I think he has a certain ammount of charisma, he seems popular. He's made some language remarks,some homophobic slurs that you just can't say, stuff my kids wouldn't get away with, but he's a lot better than he was, and I think if he keeps at it, he'll be a lot better in a year or so. Give him some credit, he went on 110%, and took his lumps. I sense that he's actually a pretty good guy, who's spent most of the 1st 30 years of his life in a locker room.
Wow, I knew he made some comments about Latendresse at the beginning of the season, but nothing major imo. It seemed like things a lot of people were thinking/saying (media pressure/local kid etc...) As for homophobic slurs, I haven't heard that, but I hope he didn't say anything too awful.

Like you said, he's probably a guy who's spent a lot of time in the lockerrom so words like "gay" and "f*g" don't have the same impact they do elsewhere, but I would hope he didn't say anything malicious. Anyways, I still like what Stock brings, he's getting better at being "professional-radio" guy and it would be a shame if he said inappropriate things that got him in trouble.

Quiet Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:38 PM
emb24*

i would think the dan patrick show 'kills' ratings during those hours. i like the guys in the morning - stock has gotten much better and his contacts allows him to get great hockey guests. combining stock and marinaro and taking that show later or up until melnicks show is a good idea. essentially more habs talk and more local content.
i would also find a replacement for morency's slot - espn's jason smith is good, but something late night and local would be great - but something a little more high brow than morency's zoo, which appealed to the lowest forms of life on earth

emb24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:36 AM
mcphee

One thing I forgot to mention is that their in house commercials and promos, which I believe are done by Scott Saxon, are the funniest I've heard on radio anywhere.

They're running a Valentine's day promo, with lines like, 'your wife, dreaming of snuffing, you while you lie there like a windy dog' . When this guy came aboard, there was an immediate quality upgrade. It's sports, there's nothing life altering going on, so they have some fun.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:57 AM
DerekT

Hard to criticise much on Team 990. I love the morning show, the three are just awesome together.
I like PJ stock, but sometimes I feel he'd be better suited to just having a 1 hour show.
I like Tony, but his 90 minutes or so feel like the gino hour. And i'm a gino. Someone with more energy to do the Habs hour might be cool.
I like the ESPN afternoon, because I can't stand listening to non-stop Habs talk, specially after a loss.
I love Melnick. I've been listening to him since I was 8. That's a long time.
I love Picard. I don't always agree with him, but I like his outtake.
When I get to hear it, i like the fantasy show. But it needs a better time slot, maybe earlier in the night.
Primetime or whatever it is, the show thats on sportsnet, is ok. But I could go either way on it.
I like the show on Saturday mornings, i forget the name of it.
I think Team 990 should get the rights to broadcast the Habs, because CJAD makes me wanna cry.

I HATE the sports betting shows. It's drivel.
Bring back The Price is Right trivia hour, but give it a better format maybe?

Maybe have a show that is more dedicated to short call-ins? I feel most of the shows are shaped around the hosts, have one thats more about the callers. But dont let them talk forever, that gets tedious.

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert View Post

Wow, I knew he made some comments about Latendresse at the beginning of the season, but nothing major imo. It seemed like things a lot of people were thinking/saying (media pressure/local kid etc...) As for homophobic slurs, I haven't heard that, but I hope he didn't say anything too awful.

Like you said, he's probably a guy who's spent a lot of time in the lockerrom so words like "gay" and "f*g" don't have the same impact they do elsewhere, but I would hope he didn't say anything malicious. Anyways, I still like what Stock brings, he's getting better at being "professional-radio" guy and it would be a shame if he said inappropriate things that got him in trouble.
No, I probably over stated, or emphasized a bit. The Latendresse stuff, well, you can't preface every opinion, with 'The French Press,' it stereotypes or generalizes and it takes attn. away from the subject. It alos amkes him sound like something, he isn't. The homphobic thing, well, you can make jokes about anything, but you have to know how. Race,orientation are directions you shouldn't go on air unless you really understand the medium. No, there was nothing malicious, but you have to know what you can say. I'm a bit sensitive about the issue, some people I know's lives have been made a little more miserable by off handed remarks, and I react sometimes when nothing was intended. In truth, I'll make the same jokes, but I trust the people I know to know what's a joke. It's a touchy issue, so why go there ?
I think he'll be fine, because, in the end, I think he's a pretty good guy and he's got to learn.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
The homphobic thing, well, you can make jokes about anything, but you have to know how.
Is it ok if you end your comment with the Costanza classic " Not that there is anything wrong with that?"

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:33 AM
BORAT

Quote:
No, I probably over stated, or emphasized a bit. The Latendresse stuff, well, you can't preface every opinion, with 'The French Press,' it stereotypes or generalizes and it takes attn. away from the subject. It alos amkes him sound like something, he isn't. The homphobic thing, well, you can make jokes about anything, but you have to know how. Race,orientation are directions you shouldn't go on air unless you really understand the medium. No, there was nothing malicious, but you have to know what you can say. I'm a bit sensitive about the issue, some people I know's lives have been made a little more miserable by off handed remarks, and I react sometimes when nothing was intended. In truth, I'll make the same jokes, but I trust the people I know to know what's a joke. It's a touchy issue, so why go there ?
I think he'll be fine, because, in the end, I think he's a pretty good guy and he's got to learn.
OOOOOOH !!! Mcphee Mcpheee !!! Remember when Melnik went on that Rant about Claude Brochu's legacy covered in sh8t

My favorite Melnik moments : When that guy '' Cower '' or wdf his name is , went on that rant about Montreal, and they got him on the show !!! CLASSIC, And when P.J wasn'T showing up, Melnik called him out on the Radio ... And who could forget ... the Ref '' BBQ '' they had that summer.

And of course PJ's views on Human Evolution : Basically everything was a monkey.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:34 AM
BORAT

And those 2 guys : 24 StAnLeY CuPs !!!!!

Sheldon Souray !!! He'S a BeAuTy !!!

Old
02-07-2007, 09:36 AM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Hard to criticise much on Team 990. I love the morning show, the three are just awesome together.
I like PJ stock, but sometimes I feel he'd be better suited to just having a 1 hour show.
I like Tony, but his 90 minutes or so feel like the gino hour. And i'm a gino. Someone with more energy to do the Habs hour might be cool.
I like the ESPN afternoon, because I can't stand listening to non-stop Habs talk, specially after a loss.
I love Melnick. I've been listening to him since I was 8. That's a long time.
I love Picard. I don't always agree with him, but I like his outtake.
When I get to hear it, i like the fantasy show. But it needs a better time slot, maybe earlier in the night.
Primetime or whatever it is, the show thats on sportsnet, is ok. But I could go either way on it.
I like the show on Saturday mornings, i forget the name of it.
I think Team 990 should get the rights to broadcast the Habs, because CJAD makes me wanna cry.

I HATE the sports betting shows. It's drivel.
Bring back The Price is Right trivia hour, but give it a better format maybe?

Maybe have a show that is more dedicated to short call-ins? I feel most of the shows are shaped around the hosts, have one thats more about the callers. But dont let them talk forever, that gets tedious.
I agree 100 % CJAD is starting to ... well ... PISS ME OFF

Old
02-07-2007, 09:59 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Is it ok if you end your comment with the Costanza classic " Not that there is anything wrong with that?"
Sure, but we know how to use the line. I was yelling at my wife because she spends too much time watching design shows on HGTV. I told her that if you keep watching, you'll become a gay man, and what does that make me ? Straight guys fake it to get on those shows.

Melnick had Mark tewksbury on his show, while he was doing a book tour. He apologized that he hadn't read his book, because he usaully does before interviewing a writer. Tewksbury was used to guys not having done so, so he excused him, until Melnick said, 'it's because you're gay'. Tewksbury started to laugh, because he knew Melnick well enough to know he was joking. Stock hasn't got there yet.

Old
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BORAT View Post
I agree 100 % CJAD is starting to ... well ... PISS ME OFF
If a station's advertsiers are mainly florists and funeral homes, you know who their demographic is.
My Dad didn't really like this joke.

Old
02-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Sure, but we know how to use the line. I was yelling at my wife because she spends too much time watching design shows on HGTV. I told her that if you keep watching, you'll become a gay man, and what does that make me ? Straight guys fake it to get on those shows.
Hmmmm, had to think about that one for a while - and then it got very creepy. (Again, not that there is anything wrong with that!)

Which brings me to another Habnot family tradition, watching What Not To Wear with the 17 year old and the 14 year old. We get to hoot and holler and eventually drive Ms. Habnot to another room. Gold Gerry - GOLD>

Quote:
Melnick had Mark tewksbury on his show, while he was doing a book tour. He apologized that he hadn't read his book, because he usaully does before interviewing a writer.
This I got to give to Melnyk and more importantly I find that I can trust his judgement. His interview with Michael Lewis a few years back was amazing and I bought and read Moneyball in the same day. (Probably the second best sports book ever written - after Ball Four). Lately, he interview Jack McCallum of SI, who wrote Seven Seconds or Less about the Pheonix Suns. I purchased end thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Peter King is another person that I find myself agreeing on almost all fronts - sports he likes hockey, musically, and especially his taste in TV shows. I read his column religiously on Mondays.

Habnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
HABS_FrEaK

just giving this a litle bump - a - roo

Keep those comments coming

HABS_FrEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:14 PM
BORAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS_FrEaK View Post
just giving this a litle bump - a - roo

Keep those comments coming
Tell Butler to take lessons in '' articulative speach '' he sounds like some congolese Irish missionary

Old
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
ultraboy

Get rid of Dan Patrick and betting shows on weekend

ultraboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:32 PM
yukoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917 View Post
get another guy to do morencys old slot. Anything is better than ESPN radio. all they ever talk about is the joke of a league called the NBA.
Agreed. I tune out every day from 11 to 1 (alberta time), like I want to hear some ****** talk footbal and pat himself on the back for 2 hours everyday.

Not that I don't like that guy, he's ok, but just full of himself, and the entire topic of conversation is just boring.

yukoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:33 PM
smnhppu

Love the fact that you guys are looking to improve. Personally I can't stand Marinaro who thinks he knows all.
I'm also against the ESPN updates, though I enjoy Dan Patrick. It's good to stick our head outside the Bell Center once in a while, and he speaks well, eloquently and of interesting stuff. I also like the fact that he'll put guys on the spot - Melnyk would NEVER put McGuire on the spot and challenge him, he just agrees with him... on everything.
That being said, I'm a big Melnyk fan, though I'm not big on Picard. Knowledge is one thing, but he tries to be the controversial guy, and he can't pull it off.

smnhppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
smnhppu

As for the original post, I think a game to find out the sports trivia buff in Montreal could be interesting, but I wouldn't tune in just for that. If the main goal is to get people to your website, create the trivia game there and have the finals on air, that could be really interesting. Your talent could promo the trivia on air, you could market the trivia on the web, create competition (challenge your buddy). Some secondary prizing (radio station promotional products) for some participants. It could take off in a pretty big way "Take the TEAM 990 Habs trivia challenge" or "Do you know more than Mith?"

On air, you want to increase ratings? One suggestion would be "minor hockey roundup". Allocate one person to minor hockey in montreal, give that person a 5 minute hit once or twice a week - feature a kid, a tournament, a team. Kids'll get their parents to turn it on once or twice, then they'll find all your fun gang and come back over and over!!

Last edited by smnhppu: 02-07-2007 at 05:50 PM.
smnhppu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Mustang5ohhh

Send a message via MSN to Mustang5ohhh Send a message via Skype™ to Mustang5ohhh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
since I subscribed to Sirius ... , but it's the best 15 dollars a month I spend. I look forward to long trips in the car. Music, Live Sports, Comedy, Stern, Ferrall - it's all good.
Shashashakkkeeeeiitttttuppppppppppp !

Ferrall rocks.

Mustang5ohhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:22 PM
ROCKZO
Keuh Keuh Yeah !!!

Tvan is screwed up ...

ROCKZO is offline   Reply With Quote