HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sammy wants out of Habland (again)

Old
02-06-2007, 11:20 AM
rec28

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to rec28
Sammy wants out of Habland (again)

Edit: Samsonov's been waived by the Habs - the point is moot...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=341225

It kind of sounds as though Montreal would be happy to get a bag of pucks in return. I thought he performed well during his time here, though he didn't turn out to be the game-breaker I and many others expected. But, if the price were reasonable, would you want Sammy back?

Salary-wise, a Sykora for Sammy trade would be a wash, and I think they bring a similar game (although I think Sammy is a lot more fun to watch) - and he's signed for another year, while IMO Sykora is likely to walk at the end of the season. And now that the Smyth/Horcoff/Hemsky line is back together, Sykora seems to be just taking up space, anyway. Samsonov has some familiarity with the team and system, and might be able to step in a provide some secondary scoring where Sykora simply can't (without Hemsky). As Samsonov is less a shooter than a speedy playmaker, maybe that helps to get Lupul going as well. Perhaps we could even turn it into a "2 birds with one stone" type of deal and get Souray as a rental...

How about something like:

MAB + Sykora for Sammy + Souray, plus or minus a middling pick or prospect on either side

(I'm making the assumption that the Habs might slightly overpay for MAB)

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited by rec28: 02-06-2007 at 12:35 PM.
rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:22 AM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Sportsnet Hockey Central at noon just said he's been waived.

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:23 AM
BattleGuy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 61
How about the oilers give the HABs a bucket of sand in return for Sammy and a thank you.

BattleGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:25 AM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
Sportsnet Hockey Central at noon just said he's been waived.
Well, that's that, then. I don't see him falling through to where the Oilers would be able to grab him...

Old
02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
How about something like:

MAB + Sykora for Sammy + Souray, plus or minus a middling pick or prospect on either side

(I'm making the assumption that the Habs might slightly overpay for MAB)

Just thinking out loud...
Souray ain't moving... at least not this year...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Well, that's that, then. I don't see him falling through to where the Oilers would be able to grab him...
I fail to see the Oilers grabbing him at that price anyways.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:29 AM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I fail to see the Oilers grabbing him at that price anyways.
Agreed - I was thinking in terms of trading Sykora for picks/prospects in order to open up the salary req'd for Samsonov. At any rate it's a moot point, now.

/mods, feel free to lock this thread. This dog won't hunt.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:40 AM
Digger12

Sammy's being waived for a reason...he's been utterly unproductive and has supposedly porked out to the tune of 25% body fat if Mike Brophy's to be believed.

WORST UFA signing of the offseason, IMO. There's no way I give up Sykora for this tubby disappointment.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Arcane

no no no

we dodged a bullet on this guy. no heart whatsoever.

who does a drop pass on a breakaway in game 7, what a *********

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:51 AM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
Sammy's being waived for a reason...he's been utterly unproductive and has supposedly porked out to the tune of 25% body fat if Mike Brophy's to be believed.

WORST UFA signing of the offseason, IMO. There's no way I give up Sykora for this tubby disappointment.
IMO, the reason he's being waived has far less to do with his performance than his contract. Samsonov has clearly been very unhappy in Montreal. He's a sub-elite talent, and a change of scenery would do wonders. I have a feeling that GMs are acutely aware of his abilities, horrific season or not.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:59 AM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromYellowstone View Post
no no no

we dodged a bullet on this guy. no heart whatsoever.

who does a drop pass on a breakaway in game 7, what a *********

You must have watched a different Samsonov than I did. He was key in helping the Oilers advance past both Detroit and San Jose. I never saw a lack of heart, just a guy who was eventually marginalized and rendered ineffective due largely to his size. As far as I know, a lack of heart has never been a knock on Samsonov (this season, notwithsatnding, perhaps). I'm not suggesting he's the key to all of the Oilers' offensive hopes and dreams, just that IMO he would contibute just as much as Sykora, without the need to play with Hemsky, and is signed for another year. Yes, the dollars are scary relative to his performance this year, but I am convinced it's almost entirely a situational problem, not that he's suddenly become a crappy hockey player.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Digger12

Quote:
You must have watched a different Samsonov than I did. He was key in helping the Oilers advance past both Detroit and San Jose. I never saw a lack of heart, just a guy who was eventually marginalized and rendered ineffective due largely to his size. As far as I know, a lack of heart has never been a knock on Samsonov (this season, notwithsatnding, perhaps). I'm not suggesting he's the key to all of the Oilers' offensive hopes and dreams, just that IMO he would contibute just as much as Sykora, without the need to play with Hemsky, and is signed for another year. Yes, the dollars are scary relative to his performance this year, but I am convinced it's almost entirely a situational problem, not that he's suddenly become a crappy hockey player.
You might want to keep in mind (and if you have, I apologize) that the Sammy you saw last year was heading to UFA in the summer...this year's Sammy isn't, and his total lack of dedication shows it.

Sammy's like that hot chick you spend months working on to go out on a date with, and on that magical night you find out that this hottie likes wearing wigs, cutting herself with razors, and screams at the waitress because she's in league with 'Them'.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
All this is a moot point anyway because another team will pick him up, even before the Oilers have a chance to put in a claim for him....plus Mike Brophy is an ass

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Trollo*

if the oilers are looking for defense (not more offense) souray is not the answer.

i like souray a lot, but he is the king of the turnover.

Trollo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Oilersyul89

Send a message via AIM to Oilersyul89 Send a message via Yahoo to Oilersyul89
Quote:
You might want to keep in mind (and if you have, I apologize) that the Sammy you saw last year was heading to UFA in the summer...this year's Sammy isn't, and his total lack of dedication shows it.

Sammy's like that hot chick you spend months working on to go out on a date with, and on that magical night you find out that this hottie likes wearing wigs, cutting herself with razors, and screams at the waitress because she's in league with 'Them'.
Digger: looks like we both dated the same chick

Oilersyul89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Jesus

Thing about Sammy is that he is very talented and can create his own offense (not so much this year I know) ala Hemsky more so than Sykora can.

And Sammy played pretty damn well in the playoffs for the Oilers last year. That pass he made to Hemsky was one of the most amazing passes I have ever seen in hockey. Plus I recall him going down and trying to block shots quite a few times. I wouldn't say that he lacks heart. He's just struggling this year and I'm sure some team will pick him up off waivers.

Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Arcane

I know that chick as well.

and rec. I can see what you mean becuase he was a pretty good playmaker, but a lot of games he was non-existent. He hardly shot the puck and you could basically tell that he didn't care about this team, his goal celebrations looked like someone just told him that his parents died.

Besides, He is going to Colorado or Phoenix

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Hemsky4PM

The way I see it a team that has been trying to work a deal like a forward for a defensman might take Samsonov to offset the loss of the forward. Now, the Oilers fit that description, but Samsonov's contract makes it a no go for us. For some reason I can see the Islanders picking him up.

Hemsky4PM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:34 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
The way I see it a team that has been trying to work a deal like a forward for a defensman might take Samsonov to offset the loss of the forward. Now, the Oilers fit that description, but Samsonov's contract makes it a no go for us. For some reason I can see the Islanders picking him up.
Maybe they would, but I can't see any team picking him up until he comes back on re-entry waivers...that way they're only on the hook for half of his salary.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:40 PM
rec28

Quote:
Maybe they would, but I can't see any team picking him up until he comes back on re-entry waivers...that way they're only on the hook for half of his salary.

While it's much more likely that he'll fall through waivers, it actually wouldn't suprise me to see a team near the bottom of the list pick him up at full price. As much as he has sucked this season, he is still a high-end talent, and you rarely get a chance to pick that up for nothing at all. I think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of making it back though re-entry waivers, so I could see someone grabbing him now under the assumption that he wouldn't be available on his way back up. That team would definitely be gambling that Samsonov returns to form and becomes worth something close to his salary, but I've seen stranger things happen...

Old
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Oilerdiehard

Here is the Sportsnet link for Sammy going onto waivers. I guess no one wanted to take on that contract with his scoring totals or they would have traded him for at least a pick.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...06_122214_5340

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Digger12

Quote:
While it's much more likely that he'll fall through waivers, it actually wouldn't suprise me to see a team near the bottom of the list pick him up at full price. As much as he has sucked this season, he is still a high-end talent, and you rarely get a chance to pick that up for nothing at all. I think he has a snowball's chance in Hell of making it back though re-entry waivers, so I could see someone grabbing him now under the assumption that he wouldn't be available on his way back up. That team would definitely be gambling that Samsonov returns to form and becomes worth something close to his salary, but I've seen stranger things happen...
I wouldn't call his cap hit 'nothing at all', especially when picking him up at his current cap hit would exclude many teams from taking on much salary at the trade deadline.

Still, you may be right...some team will probably fall for his 'all sizzle/no steak' routine again.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:49 PM
misfit

vCash: 50
Not that I want him back with his contract and the fact that it would all but eliminate any chance of Smyth returning, but I always thought he would have been a great linemate for Lupul. He's a slick skater who is excellent when he has the puck on his stick, and is more of a playmaker. Put those two with a defensively sound centerman who can skate (Reasoner maybe), and you have the makings of a very good line. Granted, they'd need to be sheltered 5-on-5, but with our other lines being 94-10-83 and 14-16-34, we should be able to do it.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Mielke83

I would love to see the Oilers bring Sammy back. I was in favor of bringing him back to play with Lupul and know is the perfect chance. Bring him back and trade Sykora

Mielke83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 12:58 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Why would the Oilers want to bring a guy back here that didn't want to resign here in the first place? This boards constant fascination with bringing old Oilers back into the fold is hilarious.

How many more offensive "powehouses" does this team need before they realize the chemistry is just not there??

metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote