HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Sammy wants out of Habland (again)

Old
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
SqueakyBrad

vCash: 500
Stop dreaming Trade...

The oilers are backed into a corner right now and don't be shocked if there isnt a move at all by the Oilers. Samsonov sure the hell aint coming back here at 3.5 next year and he isnt worth it. If the oilers make a move it will be Sykora traded for younger talent and picks. Now if lowe feels there in the hunt then they may deal but come on right this instant nope. The only player that would have made sense went to the Rangers last night.

SqueakyBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
rec28

Send a message via MSN to rec28
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
Why would the Oilers want to bring a guy back here that didn't want to resign here in the first place?
I think it had more to do with the money offered than anything else. Lowe - quite rightly - wasn't willing to pony up 3+. After his horrible experience in MTL, I could see him being quite happy to return.

Quote:
This boards constant fascination with bringing old Oilers back into the fold is hilarious.
He was a 3 month playoff rental. We're hardly talking about bringing back Weight, Marchant, or Niinimaa.

Quote:
How many more offensive "powehouses" does this team need before they realize the chemistry is just not there??
I dunno - enough to spread the scoring beyond the Hemsky/Horcoff/Smyth line? Your answer to ****** chemistry is to do nothing? Adding Samsonov adds what (amongst other things) we are deperately missing - a second offensive playmaking forward. We have 2 snipers NOT on the top line who have no one to set up plays and get them the puck. Samsonov is not the be all and end all or the greatest player of all time, but I think he would be an improvement over Sykora, and I believe a change of scenery would do wonders.

Again, though - this is all moot. The Oilers won't claim him at full salary, and he won't be available for them to claim him at half-salary...

rec28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Slats432

The Oilers don't have any real dog contracts that they must get rid of....the Oilers won't grab and eat $3.5 million.

Although if it was reentry...I would be all over Sammy for $1.75 M.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:21 PM
TowMater14

vCash: 50
I personally loved the guy while he was here. I think putting Sammy on a line with Lupul and some grit might work. What hand shot is Sammy anyway? If it is left, that would be perfect.

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:23 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messier View Post
The Oilers don't have any real dog contracts that they must get rid of....the Oilers won't grab and eat $3.5 million.

Although if it was reentry...I would be all over Sammy for $1.75 M.
Agreed - I would only do it if a similar contract (i.e. Sykora) was coming off the books. I can't see the Oilers possibly having a shot at him at 1.75M, but even at full salary, I think it's a reasonable gamble. Worst case is that the Oilers either waive him again or bury him in the minors.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:26 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
I personally loved the guy while he was here. I think putting Sammy on a line with Lupul and some grit might work. What hand shot is Sammy anyway? If it is left, that would be perfect.
He's a RH left winger.

Old
02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
Slats432

This is a mismanagement by the Habs.

Look at his numbers....around .75 or better ppg every season, everywhere he goes. He is 28 years old.

Him and Carbo don't see eye to eye and he would round into form in the right situation.

The teams that could use him?

He would be a good fit on almost any 2nd line in the league.

Slats432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:29 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Don't touch Sammy, don't want him, don't need him.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SqueakyBrad View Post
Stop dreaming Trade...

The oilers are backed into a corner right now and don't be shocked if there isnt a move at all by the Oilers. If the oilers make a move it will be Sykora traded for younger talent and picks.
By backed into a corner, what do you mean? By the EIG's self imposed budget? Otherwise I do not see why we cannot add a D man. I know you work at 1260, maybe you have some inside info that Lowe has officially given up on the season?

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:41 PM
OilerOlli*

Didn't we sign him because he wanted too much money?
Then he got this money in Montreal. And now we shall take him in waivers and pay him the money that we didn't want to pay in the summer? After he disappointed in Montreal?
I don't get it.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 01:48 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerOlli View Post
Didn't we sign him because he wanted too much money?
Then he got this money in Montreal. And now we shall take him in waivers and pay him the money that we didn't want to pay in the summer? After he disappointed in Montreal?I don't get it.
Fair comment, but I see it as more of a 2 for the price of 1 kind of deal. Acquiring Sammy means we both get the player himself (at the same relative cost as Sykora - remember, I'm assuming Sykora is traded away), who I am convinced will benefit from leaving the situation he's currently in, AND we jumpstart Lupul by providing him with an offensively gifted playmaking linemate. We currently have only one of those, and he's playing on the top line.

Old
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Agree with Digger, I think...?

Sammy was a player I admired from afar, seduced by the great dipsy doodles and virtuosity seen in highlight packages. However upclose, seeing this guy on a game by game basis last year, one sees clearly the holes in his game. And alas, in my view, the sporatic feats of genius do not outweigh the long periods of non-productiveness, sub-par defensive game, and little assertiveness. Not worth the big ticket salary.

To quote Trooper (I think):
'You're just a three dressed up as a nine.'

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:20 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Fair comment, but I see it as more of a 2 for the price of 1 kind of deal. Acquiring Sammy means we both get the player himself (at the same relative cost as Sykora - remember, I'm assuming Sykora is traded away), who I am convinced will benefit from leaving the situation he's currently in, AND we jumpstart Lupul by providing him with an offensively gifted playmaking linemate. We currently have only one of those, and he's playing on the top line.
Sammy is signed for more years. So that means we either do not upgrade on D next year or we do not sign Smyth. Pick your poison.

My pick is to stay away from Sammy, what you say above may apply if he was a UFA at years end.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:35 PM
rec28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
Sammy is signed for more years. So that means we either do not upgrade on D next year or we do not sign Smyth. Pick your poison.

My pick is to stay away from Sammy, what you say above may apply if he was a UFA at years end.
Oh sure - bring economic reality into the discussion...

Old
02-06-2007, 02:43 PM
nashpack

samsanov: mr lazy/coast/wnier

He came to edm: wined, played poorly, habland even worse, stay away from this overated player.

in Edm played with:

Hemsky
Smyth
Horcoff
Stoll

in Boston:

Thorton
Murray
Axelson
Bergeron

With all that talent, how could you miss?????

nashpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashpack View Post
He came to edm: wined, played poorly, habland even worse, stay away from this overated player.

in Edm played with:

Hemsky
Smyth
Horcoff
Stoll

in Boston:

Thorton
Murray
Axelson
Bergeron

I agree with both of those statements, but I don't remember him pulling any of the current crap he is during his time in Edmonton.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:57 PM
vb

I wouldn't mind putting a waiver claim on him because we don't have a lot of money committed to LW next year. He could play on our 2nd line this season and if he performs well he can replace Smyth next year.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 02:59 PM
rec28

Quote:
I must have missed the whining while he was here - care to explain? And I do not agree that he played poorly. He wasn't the gamebreaker a lot of us hoped he would be, but he hardly played poorly. He was key for us in the 1st 2 rounds of the playoffs.

Quote:
in Edm played with:

Hemsky
Smyth
Horcoff
Stoll

in Boston:

Thorton
Murray
Axelson
Bergeron

Exactly what did he miss? As Messier pointed out, he's been a .75 ppg player most of his career. This season is an aberration, imo...

Old
02-06-2007, 03:40 PM
hibbleton

Far, far too big a gamble for the Oilers. Picking up Sammy would all but guarantee Smyth is gone next season.

hibbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

I said it in the summer and I'll say it again....why the hell did Montreal sign him in the first place??? It seemed to me like a PURE PR decision and he brought nothing to them that they didn't already have. They needed grit so badly....and they bring in Samsonov. But having said this, I wouldn't be SHOCKED if a team was to pick him up if they have the cap room. His contract isn't that bad, it's only for one more year, and if he got back to doing was he's capable of his contract is very warrented. My theory on why Sammy's season has sucked hardcore: He didn't get the money in the offseason that he was expecting so he settled to go to the place that offered him the biggest contract and ended up hating everything, most of all the coach. Samsonov will bounce back I'll guarentee it.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
vbet*

Rentry waivers or not at 1/2 salary we need to save cap roof for a possible defenseman and some salaries for next year. He left for more cash, lets get over him.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:22 PM
PunjabiOil*

I'd take him back in a heartbeat at his re-entry level price (1.75M).

Problem is, other teams would do so as well.

PunjabiOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:33 PM
Dolemite
The one...the only..

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
Yes, the dollars are scary relative to his performance this year, but I am convinced it's almost entirely a situational problem, not that he's suddenly become a crappy hockey player.
Playing for Montreal seems to do that to players.

Dolemite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 04:53 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Pronger: injured
Peca: injured
Samsonov: tanked

Maybe all of our potential UFAs should take the hint and NOT LEAVE. Players tend to not do so well when they leave Edmonton, it would seem. Spacek's gotta be due for a crash anytime now.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Question: If you come out of Re-entry waivers is it still half your salary for next year, ie say we picked up Sammy for 1.75, is it still 1.75 or is it back to 3.5 mil next season??

If it s 1.75, do it do it do it: Think:

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky (awesome 1st line)
Torres-Stoll-Samasonov (pretty awesome 2nd line)
Sykora-Nedved-Lupul (absolutly soft minutes)
Peterson-Reasoner-Pisani (checking line duties)

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote