HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sammy waived (merged)

Closed Thread

Old
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
The more I think about this, the more I come to the conclusion that the fact that Samso's Agent spoke publicly about Samy's desire to leave the team forced Bob hand and put him on the waiver. By talking to the press, the agent basicaly took off all the remaining value his player could have in a trade.

Facing this, Bob probably didn't have the choice between tradin Samsonov vs another contract (which may not be a option for bob) or waiving him.
Waiving him is a good thing. In the cap world it would free up tons of cap space to sign someone else like say Forsberg Bob Gainey has gutts and I respect him for that. He doesn't waste any time and get's rid of problem players who don't compete. Good for Bob.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
I understand the message theory.. but in order for it work, you have to assume all of the recent struggle is due to lack of effort. And what if the lines are crap?

Why hasn't Carbo try different lines, maybe pairing Koivu with Kovalev for a few games might be more of a start to a solution than having Streit paired with Koivu?
And I kinda of agree with you. I think it's more how they have been working instead of if. I don't think you can't say that Samsonov and Rivet don't work, you can say though that they're done a poor job at knowing how to work. Can't say that Perezhogin is not working, but you can say that he thinks a little hook there will go unnoticed and while working he doesn't want to go the extra step.

While this is the message Carbo wants to send out, about the work ethic and so on, people need to realize that openly, Carbo can't say that his team is in fact average as far as pure talent is concerned. I mean Higgins is working his butt off, but how come everyone is worried about him. I mean, for some Kovalev is not working, Higgins is, but then Kovalev is responsible for 2 goals for us last game, while Higgins.....

How to work is the real problem, not how to work, I mean Carbo kept saying to his troops to never stop working for how many games now? Either they're deaf, either they don't respect him, or either working is not the problem.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Waiving does not mean sending him in the minors. If you want to send him in the minors you need to waive him but you can waive him and keep him with the team if no one picks him up.

If Sammy doesn't get picked up, I seriously doupt he will end up in the minors, however, the Habs will have no problem giving him very little ice time, say on the 4th line, and he won't be able to complain (since no otherteam wanted him for free).
Someone will claim him...Trust me. This isn't Garth Murray we're talking about here.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Stone Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
Makes sense. So, you want out from under his contract. It didn't work out. He hasn't been bad with Bonk, but really, what's he done that Perez couldn't ?

It's not a matter of getting something back. I don't think 'Aucoin' is something, it's a question of which contract you prefer. I don't mean to denigrate Aucoin, but when you compare talent now, $ is part of the process.
Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. I'm not suggesting that we do trade Samso vs Aucoin... I'm just saying that if Samsonov isn't picked up on waiver and that Bob still wish to ship him to another team not called Hamilton Bulldogs, we are probably going to see samsonov beging traded in a similar situation. I agree that Aucoin is not a good exemple because of the duration of the contract, but you see my point.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:11 PM
GoHabsGO252006

Quote:
Waiving does not mean sending him in the minors. If you want to send him in the minors you need to waive him but you can waive him and keep him with the team if no one picks him up.

If Sammy doesn't get picked up, I seriously doupt he will end up in the minors, however, the Habs will have no problem giving him very little ice time, say on the 4th line, and he won't be able to complain (since no otherteam wanted him for free).
I am sorry, but I could not disagree more. There is a reason that BG has placed him on waivers, it's not sending a message to him. Samsonov is not Garth Murray, sending a message to him was benching him once, maybe twice, waiving him means he is no longer in the teams plans and is better served in the minors where we can use his cap space to acquire a more important piece.

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Someone will claim him...Trust me. This isn't Garth Murray we're talking about here.
Samsonov doesn't make Garth Murray's salary either (though I do think he'll get picked up).

Old
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

This is just about the best option for the team, however once Samsonov sees that noone wants him, I don't know what his reaction will be.
I'm also curious to see if the Habs will put him on re-entry waivers if he clears, or not.

02-06-2007, 12:12 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean View Post
It has become apparent that Koivu does not like Kovalev too much as a linemate. Julien, Gainey and now Carbo have avoided joining them. It must mean something.
Ribs said a few weeks ago that there were another "3 amigos" on the Habs. Would this have something to do with it?

Old
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
Who is gonna claim 3.75 million for a player with another year on their contract and who has 22 points in 50+ games???

It's not that teams would want to take a chance, it's all about the cap space for their team this year and next.

You need to wake up, Garth Murray would be picked up faster because of his salary.

Sammy is still talented, he just didn't fit in here.

Old
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
You have to give Gainey some props, that's the greatest acknowledgment of a big mistake, but you don't correct a mistake by another one, meaning make Carbo playing him for the purpose of not looking like a fool....

Pretty strange though that waiving Samsonov seems easier to do than waiving Murray.....
murray was waived , no team picked him up , now the habs have thirty days to send him to the minors , if he is not demoted within the thirty days then he must clear waivers again before being sent to hamilton .

Old
02-06-2007, 12:13 PM
NORiculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHabsGO252006 View Post
I am sorry, but I could not disagree more. There is a reason that BG has placed him on waivers, it's not sending a message to him. Samsonov is not Garth Murray, sending a message to him was benching him once, maybe twice, waiving him means he is no longer in the teams plans and is better served in the minors where we can use his cap space to acquire a more important piece.
Sending him to the minors does not free up cap space...

Old
02-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Oshawa General

Could be a John Leclair scenerio, if he does not get claimed, they send him down to the minors, he may refuse to report, could be one way of getting out the contract

Old
02-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Yes it does.

I hope he clears waivers, we try to send him to Hamilton, and he refuses to accept the assignment. Then we can suspend him without pay, he doesn't count against the cap, and he doesn't get rewarded for his pathetic play and destroying any minuscule trade value he may have had by having his agent complain to the media.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
AH

Quote:
yes it does. Learn the CBA before typing inaccuracies.

Having said that, I would be VERY surprised anyone picks him up.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
murray was waived , no team picked him up , now the habs have thirty days to send him to the minors , if he is not demoted within the thirty days then he must clear waivers again before being sent to hamilton .
I know. Just saying that it was really obvious to a lot of posters that waiving Murray was in order and took a long time for Gainey to realize it but then Sammy is on waivers, and nobody ever saw that happening....

Old
02-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
As Pat Burns said not too long ago: he stopped driving the net.
BINGO BANGO BONGO HIS NAME IS ROBERTO LUON--- just kidding

But really thats is his problem, hes a *****.

Old
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Cutter View Post
Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. I'm not suggesting that we do trade Samso vs Aucoin... I'm just saying that if Samsonov isn't picked up on waiver and that Bob still wish to ship him to another team not called Hamilton Bulldogs, we are probably going to see samsonov beging traded in a similar situation. I agree that Aucoin is not a good exemple because of the duration of the contract, but you see my point.
No, I got what you meant. Aucoin's an option if you want to deal Sammy, but probably the better move is to just rid yourself of the $ . It's not talent for talent it's $ for $ [with length the major factor] or the waiver route. If sammy was an impending ufa, he would've been moved already for a player like Calder. Pha doesn't need Sammy but you give them something to take him for the rest of the year.

It's hard to judge deals now,because we used to just argue player talent.

Old
Maxpac

please someone take him with 3.75 mil saved for next year Souray stays for sure and Kosti gets a spot, it would be the best news of the year

Old
02-06-2007, 12:19 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post
What percentage of his salary remains on our payroll if he is claimed?
0% if it's on the way down.

I have the nagging suspicion that if he's not picked up he wont be sent down. Like it happend to Murray.
It might be a message.
"You asked for a trade.....We are trying...but look....no one even wants to pick you up for free."

Old
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
habaholic

I'm starting to wonder if this can't be a prequel to a trade with the Flyers (Forsberg?).

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but what if the flyers can't take on more than half of Samsonov's salary in a trade that was worked out between the 2 teams....say Bonk was part of the trade as well....

I understand why they would want to waive without a trade being worked out, but it would make more sense this way....would it not?

Who knows?

Old
02-06-2007, 12:20 PM
zx81

Samsonov was not that bad when he wasn't playing with Kovalev.

He was not given a real chance and was badly used.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
It has become apparent that Koivu does not like Kovalev too much as a linemate. Julien, Gainey and now Carbo have avoided joining them. It must mean something.
speculations.

Koivu said last year Perezhogin-Koivu-Kovy was the best line he ever played on.. I doubt Koivu and Kovy dislike eachother.. in fact I believe both CJ and GC want to have them on sperate lines to enhance both scoring lines... but this again is speculations.

Old
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
I have the nagging suspicion that if he's not picked up he wont be sent down. Like it happend to Murray.
I agree; I'm a bit worried about this too. I think Gainey will do the right thing and send him down though; I can't imagine any of his teammates will want to have him in the lineup again.

Old
RE-HABS

The only way Sammy gets picked up he would have to be put on waivers a 2nd time for a team to pick him up and only have to pay 1/2 his salary ala Peter Nedved, but that being said Sammy would be owed full salary next season which makes this the biggest stumbling block and nearly impossible to happen.

Only way Sammy leaves is not reporting back to the team or a trade of our crap for theirs.

Old
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Marksman

Good luck trying to sign UFA players next summer... Samsonov was the only one interested last time, and this happens ...

Closed Thread