HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

ESPN...Again

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2003, 02:06 PM
NJD Jester

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
ESPN...Again

So I go out to this concert Saturday night, get back in around 1:45 EST and instead of firing up the PC, I decide to check ESPNNews to see the final of the Devils-Sens game on the crawl at the bottom.

And I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I begin to realize why I haven't seen this, or any other, hockey score: ESPN is strictly running college football, college basketball and NBA scores, as well as boxing and NFL news. No NHL scoreboard.

I check ESPN2. Same deal. No hockey scoreboard.

Explain to me again how the network expects the sport to draw viewers if the results of Saturday night games in the NHL aren't as important as Wichita State vs. Rockhurst in early December?

<JESTER>

Old
12-07-2003, 02:23 PM
Grandpabuzz

Send a message via AIM to Grandpabuzz
And then too see that fat dude on the commercial saying that NHL is not from Canada, but from America. How the hell do you say its from America if you don't even put it on sportscenter's ticker?

Old
12-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Joseph

I've ran into the same problem. I was up at Lake Tahoe on a Saturday evening and waiting for the score to a Habs game to come up and it never did. Fox sports seems to always have hockey first on its ticker.

Old
12-07-2003, 02:47 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
It's time like these I'm glad I can turn on Sportsnet or The Score up here in Canada and get Hockey Highlights every 30 minutes, every 15 if it's a slow night.

honestly for a 1 hour sports news program the first 15 MUST be Pure Hockey one way or another, then the next 15 is Raptors and Other Sports like baseball and such, then at the half hour mark Out of Town Hockey highlights, then finnesh off with obscure sports like Skiing and speed skating and/or an Interview of some kind, finnesh off with plays of the day, that's the news.

and ESPN2 is NOT a Sports channel, last I checked a Spelling Bee was not a sporting event...

Old
12-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
It's time like these I'm glad I can turn on Sportsnet or The Score up here in Canada and get Hockey Highlights every 30 minutes, every 15 if it's a slow night.

honestly for a 1 hour sports news program the first 15 MUST be Pure Hockey one way or another, then the next 15 is Raptors and Other Sports like baseball and such, then at the half hour mark Out of Town Hockey highlights, then finnesh off with obscure sports like Skiing and speed skating and/or an Interview of some kind, finnesh off with plays of the day, that's the news.

and ESPN2 is NOT a Sports channel, last I checked a Spelling Bee was not a sporting event...
I long for the day when the NHL Network gets added to the NHL Center Ice package. That will be a real turning point for hockey fans here in the States wanting way more round the clock NHL coverage on tv. I won't even care if they hire a bunch of bozos. Any 24 hour coverage will be better then none.

Old
12-07-2003, 02:59 PM
WuRtZLeSs

Send a message via AIM to WuRtZLeSs Send a message via MSN to WuRtZLeSs
Assuming you can get the NHL Center Ice package at all .. :mad:

Old
12-07-2003, 03:05 PM
Lobstertainment

I want to get Center Ice but Digital Cable or Sattelite isn't in the Budget this year

Old
12-07-2003, 03:50 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD Jester
So I go out to this concert Saturday night, get back in around 1:45 EST and instead of firing up the PC, I decide to check ESPNNews to see the final of the Devils-Sens game on the crawl at the bottom.

And I wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

I begin to realize why I haven't seen this, or any other, hockey score: ESPN is strictly running college football, college basketball and NBA scores, as well as boxing and NFL news. No NHL scoreboard.

I check ESPN2. Same deal. No hockey scoreboard.

Explain to me again how the network expects the sport to draw viewers if the results of Saturday night games in the NHL aren't as important as Wichita State vs. Rockhurst in early December?

<JESTER>
Espn doesnt give a crap about hockey and to me they make no bones about it. The best thing for a hockey fan if you can afford it is the Center Ice Package because than you can watch any game. I know that really doesnt adress your problem of finding a score. If you have access to a computer you can always go to nhl.com.

I feel your pain about ESPN, they suck.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:51 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpabuzz
And then too see that fat dude on the commercial saying that NHL is not from Canada, but from America. How the hell do you say its from America if you don't even put it on sportscenter's ticker?
Its not from America, Hell im an American myself and those commercials come off as arrogant but that is typical ESPN.

Old
12-07-2003, 03:54 PM
Lobstertainment

They say it's from America? are they smoking crack?

Old
12-07-2003, 03:57 PM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

They say ESPN hockey is made in America.

Old
12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
TexSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
They say ESPN hockey is made in America.
Maybe they sub-contract it in Mexico then. No wonder it is so out of whack. (ESPN hockey that is)

Old
12-07-2003, 04:14 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Whenever I watch ESPN or ESPN2 I see NHL scores on the bottom ticker.

Old
12-07-2003, 06:01 PM
guinness
those were the days

If I had to rely on ESPN as my sole source of hockey news, I'd be beside myself. Good thing I can get CBC.

Old
12-07-2003, 07:19 PM
I Hate Tie DOMI

I especially enjoy when watching ESPN2 and their so called 24-hour ticker on the bottom of the screen it disappears when the score I've been waiting for the past 10 minutes is about to come on during a commercial. Then when it comes back on, its either skipped over the entire block of scores, or the entire block is missing. :mad: It always seems to happen for the NHL scores and when it comes back College basketball or football scores are palying, and needless to say there are a million of them.

Old
12-07-2003, 07:34 PM
A.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Tie DOMI
I especially enjoy when watching ESPN2 and their so called 24-hour ticker on the bottom of the screen it disappears when the score I've been waiting for the past 10 minutes is about to come on during a commercial. Then when it comes back on, its either skipped over the entire block of scores, or the entire block is missing. :mad: It always seems to happen for the NHL scores and when it comes back College basketball or football scores are palying, and needless to say there are a million of them.
Sportsnet and TSN do that sometimes aswell, especially during the MLB season when there's just too many scores {and player stats for the day} to go through before the next comercial comes, and your looking to see if any players signed as UFA in the NHL, and u just miss it.

Not only that, but sometimes when those 2 stations are showing Golf highlights, they take the ticker away. I hate that!

Old
12-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Yes Im Peter Ing

Send a message via MSN to Yes Im Peter Ing
It what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpabuzz
And then too see that fat dude on the commercial saying that NHL is not from Canada, but from America.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:23 AM
Spankatola Jamnuts*

It's like: "ESPN Thursday night hockey - made in America, delivered on Thursdays."

The guy also offers to come over to your house if you think there isn't enough fighting in hockey and you're looking for one.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
ESPN2 is NOT a Sports channel, last I checked a Spelling Bee was not a sporting event...
Yea, they had the World Scrabble Championships on as well????????????

Old
12-08-2003, 07:19 AM
Takeo

Quote:

But it's not like Canada has a vast array of sporting options to cover. There's a priority on ESPN in the U.S., and the NHL falls in place. That said, I do find it rediculous that the NHL scores are included in the BottomLine at arbitrary times.

Old
12-08-2003, 01:38 PM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
But what about the World Series of Poker? Or Darts championships?

Everyone has a varying opinion as to constitutes a sport. I personally believe that Gold is not a sport, but that's a whole other conversation.

Old
12-08-2003, 04:44 PM
Skydog

Quote:
They say it's from America? are they smoking crack?

But it is made in America...............North America.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
RI Canuck

Quote:

Neither is Scrabble and Poker.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:12 PM
RI Canuck

Get used to it. ESPN won't givehighlights, let a score of the NHL on the weekend even though that is when the majority of games are on, but they will give news on everything else in the world.

Made in America? I was wondering why they don't show Canadian teams anymore. If it was Made in America why does ESPN treat hockey like dirt?

Old
12-09-2003, 08:30 AM
Kenadyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chock Full Of Booger
It's like: "ESPN Thursday night hockey - made in America, delivered on Thursdays."

The guy also offers to come over to your house if you think there isn't enough fighting in hockey and you're looking for one.
THIS is correct. "ESPN Thursday Night Hockey" IS made in America. I believe ESPN's studios are in Bristol, Conn. The live feeds from that game are fed via the satellite dishes at the Bristol studio (they sometimes show these satellite dishes at the end of the ESPNews broadcasts). That is why the commercials don't really bother me.

However, as others have stated, ESPN's broader coverage of hockey (for lack of a better word) SUCKS. Except for Thursday night (and the occasional Sunday night game), that is the only hockey ESPN shows. I haven't seen NHL2Night in about three weeks. Someone already mentioned problems with the "ticker" not always showing hockey scores.

Unfortunately, to see as much hockey as myself and most of the fans that post on this site would like to see (assuming that you live out-of-market from your favorite team), you have the get the Center Ice package.

Closed Thread