HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Favorite Moments as a Ranger fan

Old
02-08-2007, 01:36 PM
blueliner94

vCash: 500
Favorite Moments as a Ranger fan

Since there is alot of down people about this seasn I thought we could reflect on what some of you guys thought where some of your favorite moments. We may not make the playoffs but we still have our good memories.

blueliner94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:52 PM
Balej20*

Well everyone is going to put 94's cup. So let's try to be a little more creative then that. I'm gonna try to think of one.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:57 PM
Larry Melnyk

Just some that I'm sure noboidy else will pick (except for maybe Eddie)

After years of abuse, Bert WIlson, Ron Harris and Jerry Butler jumping the Flyers at the FO circle and kicking their ass at MSG..

Boxcar Hospodar going Bananas on Bridgemen, Linseman and the Flyers trainer duringthe Flyers big winning streak..

Rod Gilbert scoring 5 goals against the Red Wings..

Being there when Eddie Giacomin came back to town...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:03 PM
VIL8BUBBLE

I forget what season it was, but P.J. Stock was with the Rangers and I had to be around 12-13. My hockey coach used to work for the NHL, so he got us to play during the second intermission of a Lighting vs Rangers game at the Garden. We all met Sam and JD. I caught the puck that Gretzky threw to us before the game started. And after we got off the ice, P.J. Stock was there and said he saw my goal, and gave me an autographed puck. Favorite time ever.

VIL8BUBBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:08 PM
bleedrngrblue

Oe of my favorite moments other than the cup was Gravey breaking the single season record for goals as a Ranger. He gave it all to this organization, and I still hate the fact that they traded him away and he didn't get to retire in a Ranger uniform, but hey, I guess thats life in the modern NHL. Also any of the following Ranger teams playing the Isles were a terrific sight....78-83. Those seasons the rivalry was unbelievably heated!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

1979. The Rangers take the Isles in six games. Watching Dennis Potvin on his knees along the boards wimpering as the Rangers celebrate will forever stay fondly in my mind. Of course 94 is #1 though.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:21 PM
bleedrngrblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy hour View Post
1979. The Rangers take the Isles in six games. Watching Dennis Potvin on his knees along the boards wimpering as the Rangers celebrate will forever stay fondly in my mind. Of course 94 is #1 though.
It hurt like hell losing to Montreal the way we did though!

bleedrngrblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:33 PM
The Big Apple

If i had to pick a favorite moment this year, it would be when Shanny beat up on Brashear......

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Pizza

The Cup of course, and any time we beat the Debs, Fleas or nassua.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

My favorite moment as a Ranger fan was my first game at MSG-December 23,1984 against the Montreal Canadiens.I made the Principal's List in my grammar school for the first quarter of the school year.My dad took me and we sat right behind the goal.27B LOGE ROW A Seats 1 and 2.The tickets only cost $19 per.Rangers home game #20.I carry the ticket stubs in my wallet.Willie Huber's shot in the Rangers zone was blocked by Alfie Turcotte.The puck went into the stands right to my section.I had the puck lined up ready to catch it when I felt someone smack the puck out of my hands.The puck fell right below my seat.Some dude and his girl sitting behind me starting sticking their hands underneath my seat.I had to fight off those two morons for the puck.I stepped on the chick's hand and got the puck.These two adults fighting a little kid over a hockey puck.I still have the puck

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
GarretJoseph*

1. My First EVER Ranger Game. Vs Pittsburgh Penguins during the 1992 Season.

2. Stanley Cup 94'

3. Mike Richters save on Pavel Bure PS.

4. Meeting Adam Graves, Brian Leetch & Mike Richter.

5. Going to Long Island last year with a bunch of Friends and DESTROYING The Islanders. I think Jagr had like 5 points. We abused them suckers in the stands.

6. Trading for Alex Kovalev - The Return. I was so excited. Pity it never worked out.

7. The Brian Leetch Return game - Went with my father. It was something special to be a part of. Never forget it.

8. The Game where Gretzky's wife got knocked out. I was 3 rows back! Was on TV too. Hehe.

9. Catching a puck during the 96' season at a Devils/Rangers game out in Jersey. Shot from the blueline and deflected into the guys hands in front of me, he yelled and let go and it fell into my lap :-)

10. Everybody (myself included) taking off school for the PARADE. The following school day the entire school did a LETS GO RANGERS CHANT. It was great.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
dave4

About five years ago my wife enters some kind of contest from a Powerade bottle. Then we get a letter saying we won a skate on the Garden ice. My wife doesn't skate, my kids are very young (like 4 & 6) but they both skate, and we're able to go out on the Garden ice at 3PM with about 40 other people who also won, to skate for an hour and a half.

The Knick City Dancers were practicing close to where we put our skates on, and Dominic Chiusano (Uncle Junior from the Sopranos) was right there too, because he was singing the national anthem.

Glenn Anderson is on the ice skating around and taking time to talk to people, Rod Gilbert is our host on the ice and I have video of him helping my daughter skate. At 5PM we go upstairs for a dinner, and we also got tickets to the game that night.

I was skating around like a little kid, re-creating all the amazing moments I had witnessed from section 331!

dave4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:27 PM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
My favourite moment isn't actually the Cup, possibly because to me, that wasn't a moment, that was the culmination of the whole playoffs in '94.

My favourite moment came that same season:
Steve Larmer, in his only game as an opponent at the old Chicago Stadium is awarded a penalty shot. He stood there at center ice, chomping on his gum as the crowd was going wild. Even the Chicago fans wanted him to score. Larmer skated in on Ed Belfour, but when he reached the hashmarks, he raised his stick and let rip a cannon of a slapshot. If the puck hadn't gone by Belfour, it would have gone through him. The crowd was wild, now they were totally unhinged.

In the end, the Rangers won 4-1. I have always wanted to see a video of that moment again (even tried asking around here a few years ago), but have yet to find it...

Last edited by 007: 02-08-2007 at 03:37 PM.
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
My favourite moment isn't actually the Cup, possibly because to me, that wasn't a moment, that was the culimnation of the whole playoffs in '94.

My favourite moment came that same season:
Steve Larmer, in his only game as an opponent at the old Chicago Stadium is awarded a penalty shot. He stood there at center ice, chomping on his gum as the crowd was going wild. Even the Chicago fans wanted him to score. Larmer skated in on Ed Belfour, but when he reached the hashmarks, he raised his stick and let rip a cannon of a slapshot. If the puck hadn't gone by Belfour, it would have gone through him. The crowd was wild, now they were totally unhinged.

In the end, the Rangers won 4-1. I have always wanted to see a video of that moment again (even tried asking around here a few years ago), but have yet to find it...
Mike Keenan's first game back in Chicago since they had fired him.On a Sunday night.The Rangers were really flying that night.Steve Larmer was playing with 3 pins in his finger(broken finger)which is why he used the slapshot because his hand was killing him

Old
02-08-2007, 03:33 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Ive only been following the team since late 02' so I would have to say:

A game in Feburary of 04' where the Rangers pounded the Isles something like 6-2 and there were 3 huge brawls at the end of the game. I couldnt remember a game where I was more excited after it was over then that one.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:34 PM
Taz

For some reason i just Love Jay Wells lifting the cup

Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
June 14, 1994

Matteau

Graves scoring 50-51 and the bench not knowing when it was OK to clear and celebrate on the ice

Messier re-signing press conference/first game back

beating the isles all six times when we were basically the worst team in the league

clinching the playoffs finally even though now I wish we hadn't

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
For some reason i just Love Jay Wells lifting the cup
him, kovalev, and kypreos were all awesome lifting the cup

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

I was at both game 7's in 94.I enjoyed the Rangers/Devils game more.When Matteau scored that goal.It would have been impossible watching the Devils win the Cup before the Rangers won again

Old
02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
mrhockey193195

For me, there are the obvious ones. Then:

-last year, against the Flyers at home, we win in a shootout and clinch the playoff berth (I was in section 112). I honestly never thought I'd ever see the team make the playoffs in my lifetime.

-Gretzky's last game

-Messier Night

-Richter Night

-Mess's first game back w/ the rangers

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:53 PM
SPG

A couple specific moments from the 94 Cup run... pretty obvious ones, but they're still my favorites.

The game when we clinched the Presidents Trophy in April of 94 (I think it was Apr 8th??). I believe this was also Mike Gartner's return to the Garden after being traded, but I could be wrong.

Mess's guarantee

MATTEAU!

The Richter save on Bure

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:55 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Most recently last season's clinching of the playoffs.

Obviously there are more, but they have been mentioned a bunch already so I figured i'd spare you guys

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:56 PM
dumpsathernow*

Please stop living in the past. It's pathetic. My favorite Rangers moment will be when they fire this moron Renney and hire a real coach who will actually play our top prospects and show patience as well as skill developing them.

dumpsathernow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
My favorite moment came during the offseason in the summer of 01. I am in the city to have lunchwith friends at the Play by Play bar in the Garden. We go down to Crosby's to see if they have a Kovaev CCCP jersey that I have been trying to find for ages now (I have the Dynamo jersey, just want the Olympic and CCCP now). He directs me to another store a few blocks away telling me the owner is russian so he might be able to help me.

I drag my two friends to the store with me and I ask about the Kovalev jersey, he replies that he has no jersey's but he does have Kovalev in the store! At first I thought he was just *** with me cause all I seen was an old man, but little did I know that was Alex's dad! When I realized who he was I tried to tell him what a big fan of his son's career I am but he didnt speak much english. Alex was having lunch and he was waiting for him there, so I had to wait. My one friend is a devil fan so he wasn't too happy spending an hour in the city waiting for an ex-ranger.

Anyhow after about an hour I see Kovy come walking into the store and I just couldn't believe it. Out of all the stores in all the city's in the world I go to this place on the day my all time favorite player is visiting. He was really nice and took time to talk with us about what players he really enjoys playing with in the NHL. He and his dad took pictures and signed by book, man what a day. Still seems like a dream.

One final thing, whoever says there is no such thing as hockey gods hear this, my friend brought a great camera with him to the city that day and we took 6 pics with Kovy, all of them developed except for the one with my friend who is a Devils fan, came out just plain black!

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Garv23

What everyone's mentioned of course. Here's an obscure memory that stands out in my pea brain...

-Rudy Poechek cornering some dude on the Penguins until he had no choice but to drop the gloves. I think the Rangers were down 4 goals and came back to win after that

Garv23 is offline   Reply With Quote