HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Craig Rivet Expecting To Leave Town

Old
02-07-2007, 03:31 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Rivet just shoots the puck at players now.. It seems all he wants to do is "accidentally" hurt people.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué View Post
They cannot play without each other. They are the best friends in the World. Since Rivet has been sat for one game, Koivu is not the same.
i think that is just a bunch of nonsense ! is that the only reason that koivu's play has tailed off ? even if it's true i find it to be a very poor reason to retain a players services and i don't think that it will be a consideration if/when gainey decides to trade him or let him walk july 1st. .

habsfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Darz

Quote:
They cannot play without each other. They are the best friends in the World. Since Rivet has been sat for one game, Koivu is not the same.

uh.....um, why makes you think this?????

I doubt the Sedin twins are even that tight!

02-07-2007, 04:13 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
i think that is just a bunch of nonsense ! is that the only reason that koivu's play has tailed off ? even if it's true i find it to be a very poor reason to retain a players services and i don't think that it will be a consideration if/when gainey decides to trade him or let him walk july 1st. .
Do not take anything habitué says seriously about Koivu.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:15 PM
guapo23

Rivet is not having a great year asa player.
But i still think he is a big leader on the team.
He is also our best fighter : even though he hasn't fought much this year.
Due to his leadership & toughness I do not want to see him go.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
... And if Saku is gonna be a PR man and push hard for him then management should say to him to let the money come out of his salary, lets see how fast Saku drops the cash to save his buddies a$$ then!
I have to ask. Did Saku Koivu run over your dog or sleep with your sister?

It's reasonable to question if Koivu is worth the money he's paid, it's reasonable to question his talent, it's even reasonable to question his play of late. What is patently unreasonable is to attack someone for something you think they might do (especially when you happen to harbour an enormous bias against said person).

So please untwist your panties until Koivu starts publicly pressuring management to keep Rivet.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:05 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Are you implying that he might be somewhat biased against him?

I had never noticed!

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:09 PM
znk

He got in to a nice fight last night. I wish he did it more.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:14 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
He got in to a nice fight last night. I wish he did it more.
+1

Defending Plekanec no less.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:38 PM
Markimark

[QUOTE=Puckhead58;7942910]Well....honestly...Rivet has been having his worst year with the Habs IMO. He just isn't playing like he is capable and the fact that we are paying him so much money doesn't make it worthwhile to keep him. I would rather have Niinimaa for the next 4 years...he's a better defencemen and can put the puck in the net too.
I would say that getting rid of Sammy and Rivet, we'll free up some cap room so we can spend a little before the deadline. Maybe we will land Forsberg or someone of that calibre.....heres hoping.[T/QUO

"I would rather have Niinimaa for the next 4 years...he's a better defencemen and can put the puck in the net too."

You boys will be crying in your beer again next year when Souray dumps our sorry ***** and Rivet gets signed by another team.
Of course we will have Mr. Emelin who has a big fat 0 points in the Russian league.

Markimark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:51 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markimark View Post
You boys will be crying in your beer again next year when Souray dumps our sorry ***** and Rivet gets signed by another team.
Of course we will have Mr. Emelin who has a big fat 0 points in the Russian league.
Agreed.

The only way I would let Rivet go is if we manage to sign Souray AND Markov. Even then I'll be sad, because I like Craig a lot.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

I've got mixed ideas about Rivet. I've been a supporter, often defending him on these boards. But he's had a bad year. And on the FA market, he will still command close to 3 million (I predict) from some team looking for a veteran character RH D.

I'm not sure anymore that it's all about money anyway. It seems like a team personality issue. If Gainey and Carbonneau still aren't satisfied with the team's identity (and how could they be?), then it seems natural that a long-time and apparently declining "leader" would get cut loose.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:42 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
Regardless...he has his bags packed and he is expecting to leave Montreal

without getting picky here

being traded and leaving via UFA market is two different things

at 32 he wont get ya much

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I've got mixed ideas about Rivet. I've been a supporter, often defending him on these boards. But he's had a bad year. And on the FA market, he will still command close to 3 million (I predict) from some team looking for a veteran character RH D.

I'm not sure anymore that it's all about money anyway. It seems like a team personality issue. If Gainey and Carbonneau still aren't satisfied with the team's identity (and how could they be?), then it seems natural that a long-time and apparently declining "leader" would get cut loose.
I'll have to agree with one thing. Rivet has not had his best year but the fact is, they all have their ups and downs. Like it or not, Carbo's healthy scratch decision seemed to light a fire under Rivet's ass and he's been playing a lot better. Do I think Rivet is finished yet, no! He started the year with a couple of injuries and that might have been enough to set him back.
Markov hasn't had his best season either with a whoppping 3 goals but Gainey knows what he brings..the same goes for Rivet.
Souray has as much as said, he's gone after this season since he wants to be in the states with easier access to his daughter.
The botton line, we can't afford to lose two leaders and our toughest two D. Our D will be a shadow of their former self which according to our most knowledgeable fans is brutal to start with.

Old
02-08-2007, 09:15 AM
ari1160

Quote:
I am warning you: Saku is gonna cry and play like **** next year !
some how i have the same feeeeellling

ari1160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:35 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post

I've always liked Rivet. I can't defend his play this year, he does some things well, but overall, he just doesn't get the puck out of his zone cleanly. Strangely, when he goes on the offense, jumps into th eplay, he's effective. It's the bread and butter defensive plays that're killing him, and I'm not sure why. I don't know that he's lost a step, got into bad habits, maybe tries to do too much, rushes his passes, I don't know. I don't think it's a lack of effort or intensity, but he's having a crappy season.

So, signing him becomes an issue, sign him because it seems his value's heading south, and you believe he's better than what he's shown, dump him because he's done, tough call.

Maybe they feel that some of the voices of the team need to be changed. Maybe The Komisarek's and Higgins need to be more the voice, and Rivet needs to fade ? I don't know if this is an issue or even a thought, but maybe ?

Did anyone hear him mic'ed during the RDS pre-game show on Tuesday ? He sounds like a guy pretty committed to a team game. It's hard to judge from sound bites, but he's sounds like a guy I'd want on my team. He's got to make fundamental plays though.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:13 PM
Markimark

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I've always liked Rivet. I can't defend his play this year, he does some things well, but overall, he just doesn't get the puck out of his zone cleanly. Strangely, when he goes on the offense, jumps into th eplay, he's effective. It's the bread and butter defensive plays that're killing him, and I'm not sure why. I don't know that he's lost a step, got into bad habits, maybe tries to do too much, rushes his passes, I don't know. I don't think it's a lack of effort or intensity, but he's having a crappy season.

So, signing him becomes an issue, sign him because it seems his value's heading south, and you believe he's better than what he's shown, dump him because he's done, tough call.

Maybe they feel that some of the voices of the team need to be changed. Maybe The Komisarek's and Higgins need to be more the voice, and Rivet needs to fade ? I don't know if this is an issue or even a thought, but maybe ?

Did anyone hear him mic'ed during the RDS pre-game show on Tuesday ? He sounds like a guy pretty committed to a team game. It's hard to judge from sound bites, but he's sounds like a guy I'd want on my team. He's got to make fundamental plays though.
All our D have problems getting the puck out of our zone this year. They have all seen a slump in their play for whatever reason, so far this season. Name me one that hasn't.
Since the new rules, you can't slow up a man coming in on your D, therefore they're getting run. That makes it harder on the D to get possession, keep control and have time to make a good pass. Did you watch TSN last night?
Even a skilled Markov has thrown pucks up the centre of the ice under pressure, then watched it picked off and a goal scored.
Might be that our D are the only D in the league without passing skills but more than likely it's our crappy system. Our wingers stand motionless, high on the boards making themselves an easy target for the opposing team and making it tough on their D to find a pass...having the wingers in motion might be a better option.
Now, as to why Rivet's having a poor year is anyone's guess. I have also noticed his effectiveness when he gets in on the offense but his positioning and defense was always his strong suit until being paired with Souray last year.
Some interesting points are, both he and Markov have not played as well since being split up and non of the other D have played well with Souray either. While no one will contest Souray's value to the team, he is not good defensively and doesn't see the ice well.
I think you might be right in saying, Rivet is trying to do too much although he has played much better since the coach challenged his play.
At any rate, I think another team would have no problem taking a chance on him with all that he brings so Gainey just might find himself in a pickle at the end of the season with all three vet D being UFA.
The problem here in Montreal is, fan expectation can be unreasonable, unforgiving and impatent. We are ready and willing to pull the plug on a different player after every game which leads me to believe, we aren't as hockey savvy as we'd like to believe.
As far as the leadership voices needing a change, that will not happen anytime soon. G-d knows we lack leadership without losing what we have.
With Saku and Kovi still there, they would not look kindly on youngsters like Komi and Higgins trying to take over and Carbo knows that.
Their time will come but they have not been in the league long enough or even lead by example......IMHO

Old
02-08-2007, 05:04 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Thank you !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote