HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Beat by the better team (no troll)

Old
02-06-2007, 11:56 PM
MightyOil

vCash: 500
Beat by the better team (no troll)

Tonight we were beat by the better team. Honestly I hate to say it but
Kevin Lowe failed to ice a competitive team this year. Look at the lineups if you
don't believe me but I would take Ohlund, Salo or Mitchell over any of our defense
in a heartbeat (talking right now, not future)

So, I find it hard to rag on a team that tried their *** off but just got out matched.
Its not that any player makes a completely horrible play, its that eventually someone has to step up and make a good play. The willingness is there, sadly the skill is not.

Go Oil Go, but with an AHL defence its hard to win.

MightyOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyOil View Post
Kevin Lowe failed to ice a competitive team this year. Look at the lineups if you
don't believe me but I would take Ohlund, Salo or Mitchell over any of our defense

So, I find it hard to rag on a team that tried their *** off but just got out matched.
Its not that any player makes a completely horrible play, its that eventually someone has to step up and make a good play. The willingness is there, sadly the skill is not.

I disagree... canuck D wasnt anything special and had big holes in their coverage. u take out torres' 2 boneheaded penalties and its oil dominating the canucks most of the night.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:34 AM
lopper

Exactly, its a totally different game if the two 5 on 3's do not happen as well. However, in the end the Canucks buried their oppurtunities and we did not.

lopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:48 AM
cfrancis

vCash: 855
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by lopper View Post
Exactly, its a totally different game if the two 5 on 3's do not happen as well. However, in the end the Canucks buried their oppurtunities and we did not.
correct. we had ample opportunities to put goals home. Canucks had few but put them home.

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:18 AM
smytty's mullet

Quote:
Kevin Lowe failed to ice a competitive team this year.
give your head a shake. lowe had built a team for the next 4 years around a defenseman who gave him the wire brush up the wazoo. when lowe was forced to trade pronger it forced him to completely overhaul a team that was 1 win from the cup last year. we don't know what other offers were out there for pronger, but obviously lowe made the deal that he felt was best. as frustrating as lupul has been, if prendergast and his boys can use the 2 or 3 picks to draft some players that can help us, we'll be fine in the long run. the problem was that there was no way to get a d'man who would be as effective as #44 in either end of the rink and so we are where we are.

to say that lowe failed to ice a competitive team makes it sound like lowe made the pronger trade because he thought it would make the team better.

smytty's mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:05 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:

Beaten by a vastly improved and better team. The Oilers can learn from how the Nucks improved over one year. Getting Louango was a master stroke for a useless and injured Bertuzzi!

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Brunosan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
correct. we had ample opportunities to put goals home. Canucks had few but put them home.
They had better goaltending. Hemsky took a lot of quality shots but Luongo was on top of his game. Still, I think we would have at least got to OT if we weren't behind the 8-ball due to those two 5 on 3 goals. Their last two goals were somewhat products of the Oilers playing from behind. Why Torres was getting ice time in the third and Stortini was not is beyond me.

Brunosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Oilerz

Would you think then, according to Lowe's MO, that he is planning for another (hopeful) blockbuster trade or UFA signing possibly over the summer to once again form the team around?

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:17 AM
grego

The Canucks have a great young goalie good d and a few stars on the team but they are nothing spectacular. At the moment they are playing as a team and that makes them better.

I would rather be a fan of the Oilers for many reasons. We are loaded with players for the future both on the team and coming up.

Why slam Lowe he keeps the team full of prospects so we always have new players to add at a low cap price. And we have a lot for the future. What is to admire about the Canucks. Other the winning the Luongo sweepstakes to steal the guy they are a team against the cap with far less prospects that I know of to replace aging vets.

grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
The Canucks have a great young goalie good d and a few stars on the team but they are nothing spectacular. At the moment they are playing as a team and that makes them better.

I would rather be a fan of the Oilers for many reasons. We are loaded with players for the future both on the team and coming up.

Why slam Lowe he keeps the team full of prospects so we always have new players to add at a low cap price. And we have a lot for the future. What is to admire about the Canucks. Other the winning the Luongo sweepstakes to steal the guy they are a team against the cap with far less prospects that I know of to replace aging vets.
It's good to have a large prospect pool, but that attitude is exactly why the oilers will always be fighting for 8-th in the conference, not 3rd, becuase they are always waiting for prospects it seems. You guys have not had a solid team built around some good vets in a long long time, it's always bad defense, decent offense and suspect goaltending, until your general manager wants to win, the oilers will never be competing for tops in the confernece.

Just a note: The canucks prospect pool has been getting far better in the last 3-4 years.

D: Bourdon, Edler, Rahimi
Goal: Shneider, Ellis plante, vincent

Forwards: Grabner, Simek, M.Raymond

These are all Nonis draft picks. Burke's drafting was a disaster, other than Bieksa.

Crows* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:52 AM
barto

Lowe had to re-stock the prospect pool when he took over, and has generally done a very good job (with Prendergast, and we all know a few 'busts' we could rag on).

What that does is two things:
1. Give us some hope for the future that we have some decent young guys to help improve the team and keep it competitive within a salary cap (and/or budget) system.

2. Give Lowe some trading chips to make a deal that'll help the team. If we have "lots" of good prospects, and some good draft picks from previous trades (esp. Pronger), then Lowe has more assets to use when acquiring other players, like the 1st-rounder for Roloson deal last year. Maybe a steep price, maybe overpaying, but it didn't really hurt the team with a number of prospects already, plus acquiring more picks later anyway.

It's a little odd that pretty much the same guys were getting it done early in the year but can't seem to get out of their own way at times for the past couple of months... There may be more to it than the talent level...

Bart

barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post
It's good to have a large prospect pool, but that attitude is exactly why the oilers will always be fighting for 8-th in the conference, not 3rd, becuase they are always waiting for prospects it seems. You guys have not had a solid team built around some good vets in a long long time, it's always bad defense, decent offense and suspect goaltending, until your general manager wants to win, the oilers will never be competing for tops in the confernece.
I'm not one to normally jump into such a conversation but seriously dude, do we really need to hear a lecture from a Canucks fan about never competing and never filling a void?

The void was filled and the guy that filled it took it upon himself to dictate an unplanned for change of direction for the team.

This isn't about wanting to win or not recognizing a weakspot it is about having the rug pulled out from underneath you and suffering through the consequences.

You want to talk about not competing and not filling avoid look at Vancouver's track record of 'contending' and how many years they went with a decent team and crap goaltending. This years squad may very well finish ahead of the Oilers and the Oilers may very well even miss the playoffs but I have no problem suggesting that Vancouver's team is even more shallow in talent than they were a year ago and that despite a good run for the past two months, are ripe for a falling off in the next two months and most definately next year if they don't shore up their holes.

The way I see it is that Edmonton's biggest problem this year outside of the gap on defence is that there are too many underachievers and too little experience. Some of those underachievers will rebound and experience will come naturally. I will take both of those problems over basking in the overachieving by a team through the dog days of the season.

But that's just me and I suspect my patience is quite a bit greater than most people around here.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:04 PM
oil slick

I think the Canucks are clearly the better team at the moment. But for those complaining about Lowe, I wonder how good their team would be if Luongo decided he didn't want to play for them and forced nonis to trade him after going public with his demands.

Anyways, I don't mind saying that Lowe needs to decide rather quickly whether we are buyers or sellers... I really don't mind either way - just the status quo is not very good.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:07 PM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows View Post

You mean a team built around Pronger? A team that won more playoff rounds than all Canuck teams in the last 10 years? Saying Lowe doesn't want to win is assinine.Last year he picked up Pronger, Peca, Spacek, and Samsonov among others, most of which traded for with young players. Tell me that is not a GM willing to win.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
cc

Canucks aren't that great a team but they have a good goalie that can steal games. As well, they have really good special teams which is a coaching issue. Other than that, I see a lot of holes on the Canucks team and they are as likely to fall as succeed from what I can see.

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:53 PM
Sethis

Say what you will about Kevin Lowe, in fact I've been one of his staunchest supporters since he got here (and still am), but he hasn't done what he's needed to. When the team is plaing like it has for the last 40 games we need a shakeup - and he hasn't done ANYTHING AT ALL apart from picking up Nedved off of waivers (A good move, but not necesarilly what we need).

There were many highly respected people saying, since before the season started, that we need a defenseman or 2. Nothings been done all year to help this. It's absolutely ridiculous. I was willing to wait it out but now the playoffs are looking like a tough egg to crack. KLowe had a simple task that he hasn't completed and the last sands are passing through the center of the hourglass as we proceed.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:21 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
There were many highly respected people saying, since before the season started, that we need a defenseman or 2. Nothings been done all year to help this. It's absolutely ridiculous. I was willing to wait it out but now the playoffs are looking like a tough egg to crack. KLowe had a simple task that he hasn't completed and the last sands are passing through the center of the hourglass as we proceed.
I agree Lowe needs to add a D-man or 2, no doubting that, but i don't think its as simple as that. Lemme ask you this, rumours have some truth to them (i cant believe someone would waste life by type up crap in basements), and answer me this, out of all the teams, who has had the most rumours??? Yeah The Oilers. Now i know most of you guys are probably thinking, what a stupid stupid idea, but hear me out please. If we take how many rumours we have with the fact that they have some truth to them, i think we can come up with one of two conclusions: 1.) Some People have absolutly no life, and The Oilers are easy bait for trade rumours. Or 2.) K-Lowe has been trying his ass off trying to get a D-man all year but it isn't possible due to the fact that it would require us losing a substantial part of our future al la Schremp/Chorney or losing a substantial part of our team making another hole al la Jussi. I mean just look at all the D-man rumours that have been floating around: Boyle, Corvo, Preissing. Redden, Stuart (still but im soured, he wants to go to Cali after, pure rental), Kalinan (like a second), Souray, Rafalski, Martin, Rachunek, Rosival,Pitkanen, Mcarty etc etc. You get my point, Through Tsn, sportnet, Eklund whatever, Oilers have been through soo many D-man rumours i fail to see how atleast some of them arent true. Guys its simple as this, K-Lowe HAS been doing his job, he has been asking for D-man, and he has been negotiating, but the fact is, he doesn't want to over-pay for a D-man al la Stuart. I know waiting sucks, and as these games that we lose hurt us, atleast we dont screw up ther future or create another hole for team by getting knee-jerk reaction type D-man...Hold on a few more day, waiting is always the hardest part, but it pays off more

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:29 PM
alanschu

Quote:
KLowe had a simple task that he hasn't completed and the last sands are passing through the center of the hourglass as we proceed.
Who is saying it's a simple task to acquire a top defensemen?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:31 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

vCash: 1200
Those Mother Canuckers have Luongo. Sux, but it's something we're going to have to deal with, for a while at least.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Sethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Who is saying it's a simple task to acquire a top defensemen?
Granted, my bad.

The point still stands though, he's been sitting on his hands. And hitting up the phones is one thing, but the results aren't there. Over the course of the season, I could have dealt with a little overpay fro another capable blueliner.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:54 PM
alanschu

I've always been curious about the overpay. Unless you're making a run at the playoffs/cup, is it a good thing to overpay? For instance, Kyle Brodziak is having a very good season down in the AHL, and perhaps his stock has risen, and he can be included in a deal for a capable blueliner, when prior to this season probably not.

Is it good to overpay to fill a position, when perhaps patience would have the parts of that "overpay" become more valuable, so you can trade less and still get the same a bit later?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:06 PM
oilerincanuckland

Send a message via Yahoo to oilerincanuckland
finally somebody that makes sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I agree Lowe needs to add a D-man or 2, no doubting that, but i don't think its as simple as that. Lemme ask you this, rumours have some truth to them (i cant believe someone would waste life by type up crap in basements), and answer me this, out of all the teams, who has had the most rumours??? Yeah The Oilers. Now i know most of you guys are probably thinking, what a stupid stupid idea, but hear me out please. If we take how many rumours we have with the fact that they have some truth to them, i think we can come up with one of two conclusions: 1.) Some People have absolutly no life, and The Oilers are easy bait for trade rumours. Or 2.) K-Lowe has been trying his ass off trying to get a D-man all year but it isn't possible due to the fact that it would require us losing a substantial part of our future al la Schremp/Chorney or losing a substantial part of our team making another hole al la Jussi. I mean just look at all the D-man rumours that have been floating around: Boyle, Corvo, Preissing. Redden, Stuart (still but im soured, he wants to go to Cali after, pure rental), Kalinan (like a second), Souray, Rafalski, Martin, Rachunek, Rosival,Pitkanen, Mcarty etc etc. You get my point, Through Tsn, sportnet, Eklund whatever, Oilers have been through soo many D-man rumours i fail to see how atleast some of them arent true. Guys its simple as this, K-Lowe HAS been doing his job, he has been asking for D-man, and he has been negotiating, but the fact is, he doesn't want to over-pay for a D-man al la Stuart. I know waiting sucks, and as these games that we lose hurt us, atleast we dont screw up ther future or create another hole for team by getting knee-jerk reaction type D-man...Hold on a few more day, waiting is always the hardest part, but it pays off more
the fact that K Lowe was aware from the beginning of the season that the oilers were lacking in the backend and in the need of an upgrade is common knowledge. Pronger had a contract that paid him well and he wanted out due to family issues (we all know the family issues were with a capital A-for A channel ). What there are no hot girls in California! K Lowe had a gun to his head and I am sure that he really did not want to send Pronger to divisional team but lets face it he made the best deal possible. Acquiring a d man is on at least 20 other teams to do list. Do we want to give away alot for so little. I have faith in this team to pull it together and I know that K Lowe will pull off a deal without give away our future!!
I believe and am sick of the canuck fans out here planning the parade.They are always saying what have the Oilers done lately...well we made it all the way last year and have won the big one on more than one occassion where as the mighty nuckleheads have made it twice and have only a riot to show for it. The ankle and knee problems that inflict the fans of the orca group are due to jumping on and off that wagon soooooo very much. We Oiler fans are true to OUR team!!

oilerincanuckland is offline   Reply With Quote