HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toby Peterson blows

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-06-2007, 10:59 PM
  #1
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
Toby Peterson blows

wow...can you say useless?...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:09 PM
  #2
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Great post, well thought out.

Way to be a lemming.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:14 PM
  #3
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
wow...can you say useless?...
useless he maybe but not more then nedved, lupul, torres, winchester, pisani, smith and MAB. get the point?

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:17 PM
  #4
canadave
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nova Scotia, Earth
Country: United Nations
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfanatic View Post
wow...can you say useless?...
You've got to be kidding. See my other Petersen thread made within a few seconds of yours. You really thought he was useless tonight?

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
  #5
oilerfanatic
Registered User
 
oilerfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Siberia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
You've got to be kidding. See my other Petersen thread made within a few seconds of yours. You really thought he was useless tonight?
i think you're clutching at straws trying to find anything positive in his game...he is completely useless as a forward which probably explains why he played defense at some point...i'd rather have MAP utilizing that spot for development even though i'm not a big MAP fan...

oilerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:18 AM
  #6
Magnus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
useless he maybe but not more then nedved, lupul, torres, winchester, pisani, smith and MAB. get the point?
Well, with the exception of Winchester, all those players are NHL players. Petersen is not. He's a minor league player who happens to be playing (way too much) for our team. The last game he plays for the Oilers will likely be one of the last days he plays in the NHL.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:03 AM
  #7
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,875
vCash: 500
He is fast but far from being a complete player. He has almost no scoring touch which is at par with 1/2 the team so that is why he is still on the roster.

I think that is why the poster says he is useless. Ineffective is a better term.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:32 AM
  #8
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lander View Post
useless he maybe but not more then nedved, lupul, torres, winchester, pisani, smith and MAB. get the point?
Yes more, much more then them. All of those players, save for Winchester, are proven NHL players. They all have played at the NHL for years now. Toby Petersen has been a regular NHLer on season and there is a reason for that, his TOTAL LACK OF SKILL AND ABILITY.

Here's what these guys bring that Toby doesn't:

Nedved-Experience, skill, creativity.
Lupul-Skill, creativity, goal scoring, a future
Torres - Toughness, physicality, skill, a future
Winchester - Toughness, physicality
Pisani - Experience, skill, GREAT defensive play
Smith-Experience, leadership, grit, toughness, physicality, shot block (ALOT)
MAB- A big shot and more offensive ability.


Petersen is safe player who doesn't do anything on the ice so he can skate around in the defensive puck position. He brings down his linemates and he brings down the PP. I understand the Oilers are worried about goals against, but having one guy who's job is to try to not get scored on and playing "not to loose" is killing this team. If Toby Petersen were good enough to make this team, he would have out of camp, and if Brodziak doesn't break his hand, Toby gone too.

Toby Petersen in his current roll, and in general, is a useless hockey player who brings nothing to this team except for a small defensive component.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:41 AM
  #9
HotToddy
Registered User
 
HotToddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 3,608
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yes more, much more then them. All of those players, save for Winchester, are proven NHL players. They all have played at the NHL for years now. Toby Petersen has been a regular NHLer on season and there is a reason for that, his TOTAL LACK OF SKILL AND ABILITY.

Here's what these guys bring that Toby doesn't:

Nedved-Experience, skill, creativity.
Lupul-Skill, creativity, goal scoring, a future
Torres - Toughness, physicality, skill, a future
Winchester - Toughness, physicality
Pisani - Experience, skill, GREAT defensive play
Smith-Experience, leadership, grit, toughness, physicality, shot block (ALOT)
MAB- A big shot and more offensive ability.


Petersen is safe player who doesn't do anything on the ice so he can skate around in the defensive puck position. He brings down his linemates and he brings down the PP. I understand the Oilers are worried about goals against, but having one guy who's job is to try to not get scored on and playing "not to loose" is killing this team. If Toby Petersen were good enough to make this team, he would have out of camp, and if Brodziak doesn't break his hand, Toby gone too.

Toby Petersen in his current roll, and in general, is a useless hockey player who brings nothing to this team except for a small defensive component.
JJ do you ever stop to take time and understand the lineup? Who the holy hell is Mac T supposed to play. He has to watch every matchup that involves Lupul, Torres, Sykora and Nedved.

His number 1 line has his best defensive forward on it, should he just match Horc's line against the opponents best line and have them play a defensive role all night?

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
  #10
OntOilFan
Registered User
 
OntOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,762
vCash: 500
It's worth saying again.

I hate Toby Peterson.

OntOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:56 AM
  #11
Oi'll say!
Go Flames
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,226
vCash: 500
If Toby Petersen was half a player the Oilers would be in first place in the league right now and they'd have already clinched the president's trophy.

I'm not quite sure why he didn't beat up Cowan last night and then belt the two Sedins over the boards on route to a hat trick. It's probably because he's just a lazy little puke and he wants to remain semi-anonymous so that he can sneak around in the seedier side of town and use the needle exchange without getting busted.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:08 AM
  #12
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
JJ do you ever stop to take time and understand the lineup? Who the holy hell is Mac T supposed to play. He has to watch every matchup that involves Lupul, Torres, Sykora and Nedved.

His number 1 line has his best defensive forward on it, should he just match Horc's line against the opponents best line and have them play a defensive role all night?
Petersen is killing them, because those 2 are playing by themselves because Petersen is too busy floating in a defensive position to do anything.

I've said this before and I will continue to say it until he's release or sent down, Toby Petersen can't make you win in the NHL!!

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
  #13
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Petersen is killing them, because those 2 are playing by themselves because Petersen is too busy floating in a defensive position to do anything.

I've said this before and I will continue to say it until he's release or sent down, Toby Petersen can't make you win in the NHL!!
Lupul has been playing with himself all season. Lupul did piss all the whole year, and you are blaming Petersen for his lack of offence?

Look at those two players... Sykora and Lupul... just look at them. Lupul is by far the worst defensive player on the team. It's not even close. Sykora is average defensively at best. Lupul was a giant blackhole of suck in terms of dragging down everyone he plays with into being a minus player.

So it would be simply moronic to throw a player onto that line who wasn't strong defensively, and willing to cheat back to compensate for guys like Lupul getting caught behind the other team's bluelin. As of right now, the Oilers are running out of options in terms of who they can play. With Stoll and Moreau out, they need players who can contribute defensively. They tried to "win with offense" earlier, but it didn't work because no one could score. And if changing lupul from a minus player to at least a scratch player helps you win games, then do it. If that means putting him with Petersen who is willing to be the 1F high (which you need), then that's what you do. It's different if you are Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky who can control the puck well, then you can take chances down low. No one else on the Oilers comes close to doing it, so you need a high guy to help prevent chances against you.

If your line scores 2 goals, and gives up 4, you've done nothing to help the team. If your line scores 0 and gives up 0, you at least give your team a chance.

As for the bolded part... that's just ridiculous. No one can make you win.

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:48 AM
  #14
hemmingway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Toby Petersen is a utility forward making league minimum.

He'd have been in the press box if not for injuries to Stoll and/or Moreau.

Put another way - if a prospect were sitting in the PB for 10 games at a stretch, wouldn't we be ******ing about MacT not developing his players?

You want to pick up a better press box player? The Oilers tried Todd Harvey last year, with similar results.

You want to take a look at players that should win you games, look a little further than Petersen.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:55 AM
  #15
McTowMater14
Registered User
 
McTowMater14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: OIL COUNTRY
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,839
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
Toby Petersen is a utility forward making league minimum.

He'd have been in the press box if not for injuries to Stoll and/or Moreau.

Put another way - if a prospect were sitting in the PB for 10 games at a stretch, wouldn't we be ******ing about MacT not developing his players?

You want to pick up a better press box player? The Oilers tried Todd Harvey last year, with similar results.

You want to take a look at players that should win you games, look a little further than Petersen.
If Stoll were healthy Mac T would have Nedved in the pressbox. Look at the lines last night, Nedved was just a fillin for Stoll. How many points does Peterson have playing almost the whole season?

BTW...I would much rather have Todd Harvey playing on this team then Peterson.

McTowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:02 AM
  #16
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
If Stoll were healthy Mac T would have Nedved in the pressbox. Look at the lines last night, Nedved was just a fillin for Stoll. How many points does Peterson have playing almost the whole season?

BTW...I would much rather have Todd Harvey playing on this team then Peterson.
Honestly, I second that, because atleast he had some ****ing grit.

Jimmi McJenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:05 AM
  #17
bleed_oil
Registered User
 
bleed_oil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,844
vCash: 500
Yes Toby Peteron does blow, he is utterly useless, like giving an eskimo kid an ice maker at Christmas... the guy should do himself a favor and go back to the AHL

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:12 AM
  #18
Louiss
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 895
vCash: 500
Toby Petersen doesnt help the Oilers to win games... but he doesnt help losing them also.

The probleme of this team is certainly not Toby Petersen who has done a fair job so far this year I think. You know what to expect with him and that is exactly what he is bringing.

Louiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:16 AM
  #19
hemmingway
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce33 View Post
If Stoll were healthy Mac T would have Nedved in the pressbox. Look at the lines last night, Nedved was just a fillin for Stoll. How many points does Peterson have playing almost the whole season?

BTW...I would much rather have Todd Harvey playing on this team then Peterson.
Petersen this season:37gp 3g 5a 8pts
Harvey last year:63gp 5g 2a 7pts.

Without Moreau and Stoll injured - Petersen doesn't play.

As to Harvey, the mind was willing, the body wasn't. Injuries caught up to him, and with his footspeed, he couldn't overcome it.

I'd rather have Dvorak. Just have to convince him to play for 500K.

hemmingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:35 AM
  #20
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
What do you guys want out of Petersen?

The guy isn't going to be a fixture in Edmonton, he is simply here to try and replace Moreau's reliability. If Moreau doesn't get hurt then Petersen likely never steps foot in Edmonton this year. He is filling a specific void, not jumping over the Oilers prospects in terms of what the Oilers future plans hold.

All things considered, the guy has done alright this year and the problem isn't how Petersen has contributed but instead that he had to be called up to try and contribute in the first place.

I always get a chuckle about the pining for a guy like Pouliot to get slotted in for a guy like Petersen. Sure, all things being equal, Pouliot should be considered a more important peice of the puzzle than Petersen, and I am sure he is. However you can't always look at a simple switch out of players as only affecting the two players in question.

This years edition of the Edmonton Oilers does not allow for raw rookies at forwards who need to develop at the NHL level. A guy like Stortini is looking good because he is doing everything you hope he would in the minutes he plays. He cannonballed in to the deep end where as guys like Pouliot and Jacques have dipped their toes, and tried to inch their ways in. This team can't afford such an approach from their kids.

Beyond that, the Oilers are already relying on what basically amounts to 4 rookies on the blueline. Does it really make sense to add even more rookies to the forward ranks? Particularily when they are filling a role that is more critical than Stortini's 5 minutes?

I don't know, I am not a Petersen fan by any stretch and don't anticipate to see him here beyond this season BUT the guy is more likely to save you games than cost you games, even if he isn't winning you games, and with the patchwork lineup that appears to be the Oilers right now...that is a useful player type to have.

As an aside, for the guys that suggest that Petersen is simply AHL fodder, have you taken into consideration his size and how the game has been adjusted in the last 2 years? Sure the guy couldn't cut it when you had to bulldoze your way through 5 guys that where draped all over you but I have no doubt in my mind that he could have carved out a nice career as a third or fourth liner if the game was always called the way it is now when Petersen was trying to establish himself in the league 6 or seven years ago.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:01 AM
  #21
TheFranchise83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hemmingway View Post
Petersen this season:37gp 3g 5a 8pts
Harvey last year:63gp 5g 2a 7pts.

Without Moreau and Stoll injured - Petersen doesn't play.

As to Harvey, the mind was willing, the body wasn't. Injuries caught up to him, and with his footspeed, he couldn't overcome it.

I'd rather have Dvorak. Just have to convince him to play for 500K.
To be fair, Peterson has had many more chances than Harvey did last year to score points. He's skated with Hemsky, Sykora, Lupul (although Lupul can't score either) among others.

If I recall correctly, almost all Harvey's even strength time was spent with that goalscorer Laraque and Peca/Reasoner (not exactly offensive Dynamos)

TheFranchise83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:54 AM
  #22
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,226
vCash: 500
Petersen on the PP is just pure lunacy. As I said in another post, you may as well call up Schremp and play him on the PK if you're going to play Toby on the PP. Both make about the same ammount of sense.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
  #23
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 55,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderville View Post
To be fair, Peterson has had many more chances than Harvey did last year to score points. He's skated with Hemsky, Sykora, Lupul (although Lupul can't score either) among others.

If I recall correctly, almost all Harvey's even strength time was spent with that goalscorer Laraque and Peca/Reasoner (not exactly offensive Dynamos)
Exactly, and the 4th line got about 5-8 minutes a game last year, none of this 15-20 minute crap that Toby has been playing.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:56 AM
  #24
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Exactly, and the 4th line got about 5-8 minutes a game last year, none of this 15-20 minute crap that Toby has been playing.
That's because on a night to night basis, this 4th line can play more than just the other teams 4th line.

They can play the pk, and take regular shifts out there.

The Oilers are short on defensively capable players right now. Petersen is getting a lot more of those minutes.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:00 PM
  #25
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,943
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to McThome
Same as with Bergeron. Toby isn't the problem. The amount we rely on him is. The guy is a fourth liner who you can spot use from the fourth line. It's not his fault he's being over depended on.

I will say this, why we don't increase Marty's minutes and then give the left overs to Pouliot is totally beyond me. MAP wasn't hurting us when he was here, he just wasn't as good as we hoped yet. I'm not convinced more AHL time is what MAP needs to take that step.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
McThome is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.