HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LMHF Game Report #29

Old
02-06-2007, 11:41 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

vCash: 500
LMHF Game Report #29

EDMONTON OILERS 2

VS.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS 5
----------------------------------------------

Two goals are in doubt however, and currently being reviewed by the NHL due to the possibility of them being awarded to Dan Marouelli.

This game had the same story as a ton of the home games this year since we stopped playing great hockey at home a few months ago. It was a really frustrating game where no one really did much of anything great and a lot of things went wrong.

One of the things I noticed once again was the 5-in-the-middle defence working against us quite well from the Canucks…MacTavish still hasn’t addressed this with a system change.

Another problem of course is that our break-out and break-in for the last 1 and a half periods consisted of a disgustingly long pass that was usually untouchable. We only got the Stortini goal because Sykora is very talented near the opposition blue line at taking those passes. Our D can’t pass. Everyone knows it and plays to it. It’s like watching Bantam hockey…some nights you get lucky and the forwards crank up the effort to salvage things, but most nights it just sucks.

I’m not sure if we were ever going and got sidetracked or what. All seemed fine after the first but maybe it was not. I don’t know if we can play the physical game against a team of whiners like Cooke, Bieksa, Cowan, Burrows etc. and win. All we end up doing is taking penalties…and when the ref is looking to give someone 12 minutes (that penalty was stupid…he didn’t even give him any time between the 2 and the 10) you’re in trouble.

Alright, let’s talk players:
------------------------------------------------

Smyth-Horcoff-Hemsky
-You can only carry a team so far…and when you are literally the only effective line…there are problems. Hemsky’s 8 shots were a product of a lack of chances and frustration at not being able to score. The effort was there from this line tonight but the results just weren’t. Smyth came really close a bunch of times but could not convert. Horcoff made a couple really ugly passes that I’d dog him for but they really didn’t matter. He also couldn’t hit water from a boat tonight, but again, did it really even matter? They did enough, it was the other guys out there who did not.

Pisani-Sykora-Lupul-Petersen-Nedved-Torres
-I grouped these guys together for a reason…they are a huge part of why we lost tonight. Neither of these lines was effective at all. Without Stoll, neither line could handle a decent VAN line. They were just putrid. Even the unflappable Fernando couldn’t do anything to stem the attack and right his line. Lupul keeps showing sparks…but sparks don’t put points on the board. He needs to start scoring on the rush and he needs to do it now. There’s no excuse for him not converting. Sykora made a great play on the Stortini goal of course, in both the pickup of the pass and the shot choice, but other than that he was ineffective. I hate to say it, but he hasn’t been effective at all since the beginning of the year. If he were a distinct third-liner that would be okay, but he’s not. Toby was not very good tonight either, but he’s being used WAY too much out there. He doesn’t have a hope of being effective with that much responsibility. Nedved is simply too old and slow. Any comparison to Scott Ferguson denotes he absolutely does not belong here. I’m in favor of Brodziak or Schremp at this point surely. Raffi doesn’t seem to know who he is anymore…he can’t even score against Vancouver and was totally useless in a physical game. Not to mention 14 penalty minutes (though questionable) don’t help the cause.

Stortini-Reasoner-Winchester
-I’ll save the positive for last, so let us start with Marty and Brad. Marty had one of his worst games tonight. He was brutal on the dot and couldn’t get anything going with the puck. He made bad passing decisions and didn’t help the team. Winchester proved two things: that he cannot really hit, and that he can nail the corner glass from the slot with a really hard wrist shot. Having Stortini on that line shows just how bad Winchester is. Now, on to Stortini…his 6 minutes of playing time was EASILY the most effective per minute of any Oilers player tonight. He hit big, he fought (though Cowan, a seemingly eager challenger, seemed to in fact want a prolonged hug…what a freaking wuss…) and he went to the net and scored his first goal. He deserves recognition for what he’s been able to bring to this team.

Jarret Stoll
-We need you two games ago.

Bergeron-Greene-Smith-Hejda-Staios-Smid
-I don’t really know what to say about the D tonight. They weren’t good. Bergeron is now nervous and lacking confidence after the apparent ugliness in Vancouver, which is the last thing we need right now. Matt Greene is still stuck in a huge funk that means he’s not able to contribute how we need him to. Smid was okay I suppose, and Staios, but both can be much better. Smith and Hejda I just can’t like because of their substandard puck-moving…it’s killing our offensive game even if it keeps a few pucks out of the net. Solid pass to Sykora though.

Dwayne Roloson
-No magic. Start Jussi.
----------------------------------------------------

Well guys…not sure what else there is to say…Stortini played 6 minutes and was the most effective guy…that’s about it…..

LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
cfrancis

Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Rolie can't be faulted. He played well. He didn't have a chance on either of the 5-3's. Really any of the goals. His robbery of Bulis was great!

cfrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:46 PM
HotToddy

You can't blame the D tonight. This game was lost on bad penalties by Torres and Hemmer.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:48 PM
HOF

Yup, even if some of them were iffy, the game was lost on the penalties. Torres has to shut his mouth and Hemsky can't do what he did, even though it was like a love tap.

HOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2007, 11:48 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Rolie can't be faulted. He played well. He didn't have a chance on either of the 5-3's. Really any of the goals. His robbery of Bulis was great!
I didn't fault him, I said whatever magic he had just isn't there.

And the team played better with Jussi for whatever reason.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
You can't blame the D tonight. This game was lost on bad penalties by Torres and Hemmer.
The game was hardly over at that point.

I blame the D largely for our lack of offensive chances in the last period and a half...though lines 2-4 didn't help much either.

Old
02-06-2007, 11:55 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1 View Post
The game was hardly over at that point.

I blame the D largely for our lack of offensive chances in the last period and a half...though lines 2-4 didn't help much either.
No but Torres melt down in the 2nd sealed it. The Canucks scored 2 5-3 goals, the 3rd goal was a pretty slick play and the 4th was a great pass between the Sedin's.

Our offence was humming pretty good unitl the 1st stupid 5 on 3 and was humming again unitl the Canucks went up 3-2. At that point the Canucks went trap and our forwards laid down.

The 5-3 in the 1st was still the critical point of the game, Oilers were pushing the Canucks around and were out shooting them 10-3 when Cooke stirred the pot.

It also tough to win a game at home wehn their best line shows up and our best line produces little.

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:22 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Four minutes prior to the Torres penalty, a blatent interference was missed on Cooke. Cooke did the exact same thing as Torres but it wasn't called.

02-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
And Cowan should have received a 5 minute boarding major for hitting from behind on MAB but the refs didn't called and were standing right there. Canucks bribed the refs.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:06 AM
Tyrolean

It must be very hard to wrote a report in light of another crucial loss. I couldn't do it so judo sto your dedication and love of the Oilers.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote