HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We're Making the Playoffs

Old
02-07-2007, 12:59 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict101 View Post
Yes isn't it time?
Congrats on the newly attained mod status.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:00 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
Im with you. I had the same feeling after tonights game. Until the stupid 5 on 3's this team was dominating, and even until the end of the 2nd they carried much of the play. The playoffs are there if our guys want to be in it, and I really believe they do.
See, maybe it's just me, but I looked at that 1st period and other than those first 5 minutes I really didn't think the Oilers were dominating. They had great intensity, but their execution looked a little bit off all night, they looked a little bit too geeked up for the game and were unfocused in much of their offensive efforts. Then Cooke threw his weight around, and the Oilers showed a stunning lack of savvy...a minute later, the game is tied and all the good vibes seemed to just drain out of the team.

Then Torres took it upon himself to lose control of himself, and bickety bam the Oilers are behind and you could just see their hands tighten on their sticks.

The Oilers right now have a 1st line. Period. Nothing else.

We have no productive 2nd line with Sykora utterly rudderless without Hemsky or another similarly talented player and Lupul whose confidence looks shattered, and they're paired with a player who would struggle to make the bottom 6 forwards of nearly any other playoff bound team, yet for us he's on the 2nd line.

Without Stoll, we have no semblance of a shutdown line. Torres may need to be put on suicide watch soon, and Pisani has had a terrible year.

The 4th line seems to have been cobbled together with whatever junk MacT's found underneath his couch cushions for a couple of years now, they have some intriguing pieces but very little chemistry. Reasoner's very quietly had a mediocre year.

Looking at all that, I fail to see much cause for optimism. I'd love to see a magical turnaround, but this team is simply not good enough.

As for Lowe coming in on a white horse and trading us out of this mess, I wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:04 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Wow, sorry you feel that way. Classic film and one that wrought a million copy cat imitations.

I'm putting you on double secret probation.
I prefer my movies with a plot....... nuff said.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:07 AM
Traktor*

We won't make the playoffs this year. Stortini plays great and gets 6 minutes? Why wouldn't Mac give him atleast 10+ minutes? Mac just doesn't know how to coach and I really can't see him getting us in the playoffs this year.

Mac is a coach that would pull his goalie in a game and put a cold tender in just for the shootout. Then he wonders why he can't get steady goaltending? He wonders why they have no confidence? I really have no faith in MacT..

Mac is a coach who will play Toby more than Hemsky..

I wouldn't be surprised if Toby is back next year as Edmontons new PP coach.

Sorry to disagree with the thread but Toby is getting 15-20 minutes a night. 1/3 minutes Toby is on the ice. I just can't see a team playing Toby that kind of minutes being a playoff team.

Traktor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:09 AM
Rin

I'm in the exact same spot as Cerebral. Night in and night out at work i'm screaming at my co-workers "THE OILERS WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!" After every win, after every loss....to me, the glass is still 2/3rd full. Not half full, not half empty....two thirds full. Whenever i even think about losing faith, i think back to last year. We had 22 games left at the trade deadline when we got Roloson, and in those 22 games we managed to sneak in. Right now we have 28 games remaining. If we could do it in 22 last year, there is no reason to believe we can't do it in 28 this year. They need to go back to playing simple, smart, disciplined hockey. And they NEED help on the backend, whether its the return of Tjarnqvist until Lowe pulls the trigger, or the result of Lowe pulling the trigger. Either way, i believe, 110% that the oilers WILL indeed make the playoffs.

Rin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:11 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
I prefer my movies with a plot....... nuff said.
Hey, I can scarf down Merchant Ivory tomes with the best of 'em but Animal House has a solid legacy for a reason. It's very funny and it was original when it came out, you young wipper snapper.

Back to the thread at hand. Cerebral, once again we cross paths and I am awed by your glass half full view of Oilerville. Thank goodness the Wild have not pulled away and Colorado keeps lurching along. There is still hope in Oilerville ...

but I still look at that six game road trip to end the season. Yep, they can do it. But this team is not showing any signs of putting together a big stretch of wins. Their forwards have little to no sustained chemistry, struggles on the blueline...

Buckle up, its Oiler stretch drive.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:17 AM
Belcriss
McDavid Sweepstakes!

Send a message via Skype™ to Belcriss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Hey, I can scarf down Merchant Ivory tomes with the best of 'em but Animal House has a solid legacy for a reason. It's very funny and it was original when it came out, you young wipper snapper.
Hardly young, unless your over 40... I remember all the stupid comedies that came out in the late seventies, early eighties, and the only I actually thought was funny was Trading Places. Other than that, not much. Police Academy was funny for the first one, then, not much. After that, I lost interest.

Belcriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:22 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belcriss View Post
Hardly young, unless your over 40... I remember all the stupid comedies that came out in the late seventies, early eighties, and the only I actually thought was funny was Trading Places. Other than that, not much. Police Academy was funny for the first one, then, not much. After that, I lost interest.

#36 all time baby!

http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/laughs.aspx

To each there own, just trying to have a laugh after what sounds like an brutal game. Trading Places was solid. Police Academy ... not so much.

Behind Enemy Lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:33 AM
alanschu

Trading Places was a great movie! I remember watching it with my Dad a lot when it made its cycle through movie channel land a while ago. I bought it for him for Christmas!

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:47 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Cerebral I'm with the majority here buddy. I love the positive outlook but man alive what has this group done to make you think they'll pull out of this? They can't win vs the divison, they can't win the big games, they can't get on a roll, even with some trades they won't have a top 10 blueline that they need to go with the offensive talent to win the 70% or more of there games that they'll need to win, and I honestly don't know why you think Colorado will flop? Last year's team always showed signs that they would succeed. They won some pretty big games, espically in the divison, and the talent was always there. Also, the bounces were due to go that team's way. They fought through a ton of BS calls, BS bounces that other teams got, and we're still ahead of the pack in the playoff race. This team is only in my mind 4 points back, but I don't think they'll knock off Minny who's playing really good lately, has better talent then us, and lately seems to get the better of us more often then not. I've said it a ton and I'll say it again...why not start building for next year now so going into next we could have a contender, rather then selling off some decent pieces for probable rentals and MAYBE scrap into the playoffs and get bounced no later then the 2nd round....then we're in an even worse situation then we're in right now.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Zach and Slater
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
I'm in the exact same spot as Cerebral. Night in and night out at work i'm screaming at my co-workers "THE OILERS WILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS!!!" After every win, after every loss....to me, the glass is still 2/3rd full. Not half full, not half empty....two thirds full. Whenever i even think about losing faith, i think back to last year. We had 22 games left at the trade deadline when we got Roloson, and in those 22 games we managed to sneak in. Right now we have 28 games remaining. If we could do it in 22 last year, there is no reason to believe we can't do it in 28 this year. They need to go back to playing simple, smart, disciplined hockey. And they NEED help on the backend, whether its the return of Tjarnqvist until Lowe pulls the trigger, or the result of Lowe pulling the trigger. Either way, i believe, 110% that the oilers WILL indeed make the playoffs.
But Rin man they weren't 6 points out last year, and that team was a lot more talented and experienced then this one is. I really hope you're right man, but IMO you're not.

Zach and Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:52 AM
TheGreatone94

break out the darkhorse avatars!

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:54 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
break out the darkhorse avatars!
Does anyone still have the "I believe" avatars from last year? I would love that as my avitar.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:56 AM
alanschu

A question to those that feel the season is lost:

Does this mean we can look forward to a reduction in threads talking about how poor the team is and how we won't make the playoffs? Will we see an increase in positive discussion such as whether or not a young guy like Smid has a good game, or how Lupul seems to be playing more aggressive?

I'll comment on Ari Gold since he posted most recently (though it applies to anyone), but since you recognize that this team is less talented and less experienced, can we look forward to you talking about good things about the future? I don't see the point in complaining about not making the playoffs, since you are no longer expecting them to make the playoffs. A less talented and less experienced team is undoubtedly going to make more mistakes and not play perfect games all the time (or even frequently), so will there be less discussion on how <player X> made a fatal mistake that cost us a game, since we no longer need to worry about winning games, but rather focusing on next season?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:01 AM
vb

I hate to be a pessimist in an optimistic thread, but the boys have been trying to get on a role since early December. We're still waiting and Lowe's still waiting. At least at that time they were playing horrible and losing. You could see there was room for improvement.

Now they look like they are playing as well as they can - and they're just not good enough this year. No reason to slit our wrists or anything like that, but it's just not in the cards this year.

I like a lot of our roster and a small reload and we're back in business next year.

vb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:28 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
But Rin woman they weren't 6 points out last year, and that team was a lot more talented and experienced then this one is. I really hope you're right woman, but IMO you're not.
Fixed it . And, each to their own opinion...

Old
02-07-2007, 02:34 AM
ping

I'd give the Oil fairly good odds to make the playoffs. Like one poster said, you're only 6 points back of Minnesota with a game in hand. There are close to 30 games left, with five of them against Minnesota. Honestly, the Oilers are in around the same position as last year, fighting for that 8th spot. Just because the Oil made the SCF doesn't mean they'' automatically be competing for the top seeds.

Don't panic! Win against Minnesota and all will be forgotten.

ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:06 AM
T-Funk

yeah you never know, we could have 112 points at the end of the year

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:20 AM
imkinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
A question to those that feel the season is lost:

Does this mean we can look forward to a reduction in threads talking about how poor the team is and how we won't make the playoffs? Will we see an increase in positive discussion such as whether or not a young guy like Smid has a good game, or how Lupul seems to be playing more aggressive?

I'll comment on Ari Gold since he posted most recently (though it applies to anyone), but since you recognize that this team is less talented and less experienced, can we look forward to you talking about good things about the future? I don't see the point in complaining about not making the playoffs, since you are no longer expecting them to make the playoffs. A less talented and less experienced team is undoubtedly going to make more mistakes and not play perfect games all the time (or even frequently), so will there be less discussion on how <player X> made a fatal mistake that cost us a game, since we no longer need to worry about winning games, but rather focusing on next season?
Talk about unrealistic expectations...

imkinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:54 AM
D_Oil

I'm with you Cerebral. Obviously it will come down to the five games against Minny, but I am keeping the faith.

With the stuggles that some significant players such as Lupul, Torres, and Horcoff have had (even when compared to modest expectations) and the number of injuries to important players (Smyth, Hemsky, Moreau, Stoll, Staios, Tjarnqvist), for the oilers to still be in this position speaks to what the team does have and the potential there if they are ever 'full strength'.

Horcoff is looking a lot more like last years version with SHH reunited, and I think Lupul is starting to settle in. Get some guys back from the IR for the strech run and I like our chances. They are not last years team from the playoffs, but still capable of making an appearence in the dance.

This team does have its problems, but they are still right there in the hunt. Drunk on Oiler Kool-aid perhaps, but LETS GO OILERS

D_Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:56 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
We're six points back of Minnesota with a game-in-hand and we play them five more times this season. Given the fact that I feel Colorado will flop down the stretch, I still really like our chances. The Oilers are going to make the playoffs and I'll see you all back on the wagon in a month.
In your dreams.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:33 AM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
In your dreams.
If you hopped off the bandwagon and bring nothing but negativity to these boards each and every day, why do you still bother?

Old
02-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rin View Post
If you hopped off the bandwagon and bring nothing but negativity to these boards each and every day, why do you still bother?
Good question. Tyrolean complains even when the Oilers win...

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:49 AM
OilerOlli*

Sometimes you have to make one step back to make two steps forward.
So, no drama if we don't make the playoffs this year.

OilerOlli* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:16 AM
faneuil

I won't give up on them until they're mathmatically out of it.

It's the delusional people that keep this world ticking.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote