HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Anaheim and tough guys; everything the Oilers aren't.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2007, 01:23 AM
  #1
Nols
Registered User
 
Nols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
OT: Anaheim and tough guys; everything the Oilers aren't.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=341666

from the NHL talk board.

This is everything that Edmonton isin't.

We rarely answer the bell physically


Last edited by Nols: 02-07-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:26 AM
  #2
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,446
vCash: 500
well everytime we do get physical, someone behind the bench calls it off

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
  #3
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
well everytime we do get physical, someone behind the bench calls it off
Whenever the Oil play physical, the refs give them penalties while missing plays 10x worse like Cowan's check from behind on MAB tonight that should have been a boarding major.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
  #4
oiler-dude
Registered User
 
oiler-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,046
vCash: 500
Ever since the Boogaard-on-Hemsky a few weeks back, I've felt the Oilers have answered the bell pretty well, actually.

Greene with something like 3 fights, Stortini up now, Smid is fighting, we've answered lately. Before that though, it was bad.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:46 AM
  #5
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Ever since the Boogaard-on-Hemsky a few weeks back, I've felt the Oilers have answered the bell pretty well, actually.

Greene with something like 3 fights, Stortini up now, Smid is fighting, we've answered lately. Before that though, it was bad.
I'd agree. The Oilers have answered the bell when needed since that moment.

I'm not sure it's made an actual difference in the win column, though.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:03 AM
  #6
Nols
Registered User
 
Nols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
I'd agree. The Oilers have answered the bell when needed since that moment.

I'm not sure it's made an actual difference in the win column, though.
Sure we've fought a little more often lately, but what about hitting? Hard forchecking?

http://www.hockeyanalysis.com/?page_id=477

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:21 AM
  #7
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
If only he told us what those biases were.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:26 AM
  #8
philthy mcnasty*
 
philthy mcnasty*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Storm
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smyth2Hemsky View Post
Whenever the Oil play physical, the refs give them penalties while missing plays 10x worse like Cowan's check from behind on MAB tonight that should have been a boarding major.
I didn't get to watch the game tonight... saw the highlights, numerous times on different networks.

Are you telling me, that was a non-call? ****ing seriously?

Jesus.

philthy mcnasty* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:21 AM
  #9
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,073
vCash: 500
How can you be physical, when you need Toby Petersen to play those safe, quiet, don't get scored on minutes.

Toughness and physicality are one thing, but playing playing a player who's just trying to just not get scored on and nothing else, that's glamour hockey right there.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:10 AM
  #10
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
How can you be physical, when you need Toby Petersen to play those safe, quiet, don't get scored on minutes.

Toughness and physicality are one thing, but playing playing a player who's just trying to just not get scored on and nothing else, that's glamour hockey right there.
Toby Petersen initiated 3 odd man rushes against Vancouver, one of them was a clear-cut breakaway for Petr Nedved who proceeded to handle the puck like a hand grenade and not get a shot off.

Not only that, but when the Oilers were down 5 on 4, he made several very good plays defensively.

I can't honestly believe that you are blaming Petersen for a lack of physicality from the Oilers. Why not just blame Roloson for the lack of scoring?

__________________
TheSpecialist - MacT thinks he was that good of a hockey player when in actuality he was no better then a Louie Debrusk.
dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:13 AM
  #11
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Toby Petersen initiated 3 odd man rushes against Vancouver, one of them was a clear-cut breakaway for Petr Nedved who proceeded to handle the puck like a hand grenade and not get a shot off.

Not only that, but when the Oilers were down 5 on 4, he made several very good plays defensively.

I can't honestly believe that you are blaming Petersen for a lack of physicality from the Oilers. Why not just blame Roloson for the lack of scoring?
This thread mentions the Oilers being a soft team. They don't come much softer then Toby.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
  #12
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
This thread mentions the Oilers being a soft team. They don't come much softer then Toby.
Nope. Guy just takes a hit to make plays and blocks shots. What a panzy!

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:36 AM
  #13
t0mf00lery
Registered User
 
t0mf00lery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Barrie, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone View Post
Nope. Guy just takes a hit to make plays and blocks shots. What a panzy!
Jimmi just has a serious hate-on for Petersen and will continue to be blinded by anything good that Petersen may do.

t0mf00lery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:45 AM
  #14
nashpack
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 31
vCash: 500
saw this game too

Hit on MAb should have been a major. Stortini really played well and was rewarded with good ice time for it. Where were the rest of the team:


Torrres
Lupul
Sykora
MAB


All played poor games, and get Torres out of this town, now 8 pts back of Vanc. This guy makes very poor decisions costing the team. Start selling off contracts Edm, starting with:

Torres,Lupul, Sykora. The part that really bugs me is our town has such a short memory, last year Edmonton barely got into the playoffs due to Vancouver losing their last 9 of 11 games. MacT was on the chopping block, so the rumor was. He is a very poor coach, and the staff isn't much better with the exception of Billy Moores.

The reason Edm. did anything was the Trade Deadline Acuisition of Roloson,Spacek, and Pronger playing the way he was.....Any comments?????????

This team was overrated at the start of this season.

nashpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:01 AM
  #15
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretzky View Post
Jimmi just has a serious hate-on for Petersen and will continue to be blinded by anything good that Petersen may do.
I get it, he plays defense, good for him. Alot of other players do as well. I'm sure that Petersen's defensive play is being overrated and other players', like Lupul, Sykora and Torres, defensive games are being underrated. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they bring alot more to the game then just defense.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:33 AM
  #16
Nols
Registered User
 
Nols's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I get it, he plays defense, good for him. Alot of other players do as well. I'm sure that Petersen's defensive play is being overrated and other players', like Lupul, Sykora and Torres, defensive games are being underrated. I'm not saying they're perfect, but they bring alot more to the game then just defense.
I gotta agree with Jimmi.

Essentially, Peterson is a poor man's Fernando Pisani who can't score half as many goals.

Back on topic a bit look at how soft our forwards are, especially with Moreau out of the line-up.

We have who...? Raffi when he's in the mood, Stortini for a about five minutes in a game...and... Winchester for even less?

Nols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:15 PM
  #17
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
EDIT: *nevermind*

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:20 PM
  #18
Jimmi McJenkins
Sometimes Miracles
 
Jimmi McJenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanschu View Post
Wow.

You must have been one of those cool guys that booed Cory Cross every game last season and phoned in the Call in shows to talk about how much he sucked.

Give up the vendetta against Petersen.
Be good enough to play at this level or don't play.

His current roll and lack of skill is killing this team.

Jimmi McJenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
  #19
alanschu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Be good enough to play at this level or don't play.

His current roll and lack of skill is killing this team.
Yes, it's all Toby Petersen. Without him in the lineup, we'd definitely be fighting for the conference lead. Especially when rookies such as Jacques and Pouliot were playing significantly better than him.


Since the new year, Petersen has only one less goal than players with significantly more talent like Sykora and Lupul. But wait, I guess their point totals are are being nerfed because of Petersen. If you were watching closely last night, when Sykora whiffed on a shot, you could actually see Toby Petersen sneak in and stick lift him first.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:36 PM
  #20
dawgbone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,104
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Be good enough to play at this level or don't play.

His current roll and lack of skill is killing this team.
This team was dying long before Toby Petersen's role increased.

dawgbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:43 PM
  #21
Oilerfan_55
Registered User
 
Oilerfan_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Be good enough to play at this level or don't play.

His current roll and lack of skill is killing this team.
Give it up. The only thing that would happen if Petersen was replaced with some rookie is that we would all just have to hear you blame all the Oilers misfortunes, and every goal scored against them on Bergeron again. If you can't see what Petersen beings to the team, then you just don't get it, and never will. Just have faith that the people telling you otherwise about Petersen aren't complete idiots, ok?

Oilerfan_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:56 PM
  #22
Magnus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Oh how I miss the Oilers' play of several years back. The team wasn't very talented, but they went out and played like demons on the forecheck. I wouldn't call Ron Low a brilliant coach by any stretch, but he had his team play a fast, physical forechecking game. Back then, there weren't any questions regarding effort.

Unfortunately, MacT prefers to play a more passive, defensive style. Whether that is his choice or its because his team lacks size and toughness I don't know. But I do know I rather watch my team leaving everything on the ice physically and losing, than watching them play a passive game and lose.

Magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
  #23
copperandblue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
Oh how I miss the Oilers' play of several years back. The team wasn't very talented, but they went out and played like demons on the forecheck. I wouldn't call Ron Low a brilliant coach by any stretch, but he had his team play a fast, physical forechecking game. Back then, there weren't any questions regarding effort.

Unfortunately, MacT prefers to play a more passive, defensive style. Whether that is his choice or its because his team lacks size and toughness I don't know. But I do know I rather watch my team leaving everything on the ice physically and losing, than watching them play a passive game and lose.
Until this year I don't recall many questions about effort under MacT either.

Even if you want to zero in on this year alone I would suggest that the problems that plague the Oilers have very little to do with effort.

The effort is there but the style is different. The style is different because experience is lacking. Because experience is lacking they tried to go with more flash and less bash in order to outscore the opposition. Because they went with more flash and less bash the team ended up flush with perimeter players.

As fans we are not used to watching so many players on this team that play an outside game and as such I think we often confuse it with a lack of effort.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:24 PM
  #24
Digger12
Gold Fever
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Back o' beyond
Posts: 15,560
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Until this year I don't recall many questions about effort under MacT either.

Even if you want to zero in on this year alone I would suggest that the problems that plague the Oilers have very little to do with effort.

The effort is there but the style is different. The style is different because experience is lacking. Because experience is lacking they tried to go with more flash and less bash in order to outscore the opposition. Because they went with more flash and less bash the team ended up flush with perimeter players.

As fans we are not used to watching so many players on this team that play an outside game and as such I think we often confuse it with a lack of effort.
Not to mention, it's not like the Oilers' effort was never questioned under Ron Low.

Surely I'm not the only one who still remembers Low's ludicrous "I guess they want me fired" woe-is-me speech during a postgame scrum after a particularly lacklustre loss?

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:30 PM
  #25
McOilbleeder
Moderator
RattsSSV on the avy
 
McOilbleeder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,264
vCash: 50
I think we are physical, but is it wrong for me to we are physical on the wrong guys?? I can't remember anytime in the game that one or both of the Sedins nad/or Naslund got hit, while i remember 2-3 times when Hemsky we drilled, i think we are physical, not on the right guys maybe...

McOilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.