HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I thought a lot of our players played well against Van, but

Old
02-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Arcane

vCash: 500
I thought a lot of our players played well against Van, but

It's something that's been happening for quite a while actually. While it may seem like I'm just picking out a new guy to rag on, Roloson keeps letting in backbreaking goals. Roli needs to come up big on that sedin sedin goal to keep it 3-2. How many times has this happened down the stretch here, were battling back, getting chances, then the other team comes down the ice and with one shot we are officially out of contention to win the game.

That's my beef anyway.

Other things:

How long is our Power play going to continue to suck? because were going on 55 games now.

Stortini played amazing. simply put.

Smyth's reflexes didn't seem to be there tonight, there were a couple times when it seemed he just needed to tap it in for a g bone and it just wasn't happening, like that laser pass from Hemsky on the PP, or the bounce off the boards.

Smith didn't play so well, there were a few times when I saw him lining up a breakout pass and I started laughing before it even left his stick......icing.

Hedja once again had a very solid game at D, I thought.

Bergeron has perfected the art of projecting what he's going to do with the puck, he waits a solid 30 minutes and stares at what he's about to do before he does it. Who else saw his shot get blocked from the point like 3 times in a row in about 40 seconds?.

Icing in the new NHL does not make sense to me.

I still think we can make it, it's just going to be tough, this team and the staff always seem to perform best when all the cards are stacked against them. I just hope they can do it again.

Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:28 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevefromYellowstone View Post
Smyth's reflexes didn't seem to be there tonight, there were a couple times when it seemed he just needed to tap it in for a g bone and it just wasn't happening, like that laser pass from Hemsky on the PP, or the bounce off the boards.
In defense of Smyth, apparently he was given the day off from practice today so he might be banged up a little bit.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

vCash: 50
I say the lack of physicality on the Sedin's killed us, while our Hemsky was getting hammered from everywhere, i cant really remembered a time where we actually started to check and be physical with either Sedin twin and/or Naslund. I think that really really killed us in the end. Apart from two consecutive 5 on 3's that is. We need some secondary scoring apart from the first line, Chemistry is major worry, Torres without Stoll = not much. Nedved, Sykora (even though he got the helper ont he Stortini goal), Peterson, Lupul = pretty much absolutly nothing. Its ridiculous the state of our other lines, its a mess.

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:52 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
I say the lack of physicality on the Sedin's killed us, while our Hemsky was getting hammered from everywhere, i cant really remembered a time where we actually started to check and be physical with either Sedin twin and/or Naslund. I think that really really killed us in the end. Apart from two consecutive 5 on 3's that is. We need some secondary scoring apart from the first line, Chemistry is major worry, Torres without Stoll = not much. Nedved, Sykora (even though he got the helper ont he Stortini goal), Peterson, Lupul = pretty much absolutly nothing. Its ridiculous the state of our other lines, its a mess.
Ya the lack of physicality on the Sedin's really stood out to me when put into direct contrast with what was happening to Hemsky. Instead we chase Matt Cooke around and make ourselves look like fools

and while I did thinking letting Big George go at the time was the right decision it's quite obvious to me a lot of people are taking liberties with our stars and defense, without the slightest bit of fear as to the consequences.

FacelessButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:05 PM
Matty31

Send a message via MSN to Matty31
The NW is tough tough division.

The standings reflect each team's goalies. You have Van and CGY on top and they have two amazing all star goalies. Edm and Col are at the bottom with good goalies but just not the same level as Van/CGY. Minn is right in the middle as Fernandez seems to be just that, better than Roli but he isnt a Kipper or Luongo.

Its tough to win when the other goalie is better. But when we do win often it is our goalie outplaying the other. The Oil goes as the goaltending I think.

Right now we need our goalie, whoever it may be, to stand on his head to get the win. That is a lot to ask for every night.

I'm not faulting Roli, its just that the other teams have a couple of studs and thats just the way it is.

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 06:30 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZZZ View Post
Well it would seem that I've been accused of trolling!

My post was in jest and I see deleted,as well.........whatever!

I not only followed the Oilers in their playoff run last year,but rooted for them as they were the only Canadian team left!

I also met and chatted with Mctavish while he was golfing in Kelowna this summer!

But if you fans think that your going anywhere with this team this year,when your best player in a game is a goon named
''snorting something''...........your really in trouble!

Ok so since you rooted for The Oilers means you can troll afterwards....Ok sure whatever....

Best player on our team LAST NIGHT was Stortini, but best player on our team is Hemsky...its not a hard concept to grab really.....

And people ask why the Canucks board has a bad name.......

Old
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Arcane

Quote:
Ok so since you rooted for The Oilers means you can troll afterwards....Ok sure whatever....

Best player on our team LAST NIGHT was Stortini, but best player on our team is Hemsky...its not a hard concept to grab really.....

And people ask why the Canucks board has a bad name.......
Storts played amazing.

Don't give canucks fans the time of day. Luongo tends to choke in important situations anyway so they will go down (i.e the olympics)

Old
02-08-2007, 03:18 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

I agree with the Roloson assesment. He plays lights out for stretches of games but we need him to give us that timely save consistently. He did it for us in Colorado and we went on to win. The 3-2 goal for me is one that Roloson wasn't necessarily bad on, but we needed him to stop it.

2 guys who I saw who were consistently physical with the sisters were Smith and Greene. I remember one shift in the 2nd where Gator sat Danielle down twice. Problem was those 2 were the only ones who got the memo.

Will Torres ever understand how to be successful in this league? It seems pretty damned obvious to any of us who watch him, but he doesn't get it. If he skates, and hits, he intimidates, and scores. It's simple. We needed him hitting the Sedins, and Cooke, and instead he was chasin Cooke after the whistle and taking stupid penalties.

Bergeron is telegraphing everything he does right now, shots passes whatever. Thats why he's getting intercepted and blocked all the time. Looks like he'll be a scratch tomorrow and he can rot on the bench as far as I'm concerned.

If they aren't going to play MAP on the first 2 lines tomorrow then why bother. Give the guy a legit chance.

02-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Arcane

Exactly.

Torres is so frustrating. This guy could easily be a Jarome type player but he's playing like a sissy

Old
02-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Exactly.

Torres is so frustrating. This guy could easily be a Jarome type player but he's playing like a sissy
let's not get carried away here.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Hey dude thanks for stoppin by to keep us grounded

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:35 PM
gr8haluschak

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I agree with the Roloson assesment. He plays lights out for stretches of games but we need him to give us that timely save consistently. He did it for us in Colorado and we went on to win. The 3-2 goal for me is one that Roloson wasn't necessarily bad on, but we needed him to stop it.
How much more do some people want from him, sweet jesus seriously does he need to shut out 5 out of every 6 games, and that 6th game he can only let 1 in before people are happy ?

gr8haluschak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:57 PM
Walsher

A lot of the players did play good, but the more I watch this team the more I think "a lot of decent players, but a terrible team." No high-end talent (Hemsky is the closest and has less than 10 goals) not enough structure, no shut down players, average goaltending on too many nights, and too many perimiter scorers who cannot create offense alone.

People are always saying "this team is in the same spot as last year what is all the fuss about?" The fuss is that this years team is so far behind last years in personell it is insane. Last year top 4 d - Pronger, Spacek, Staios, Smith - This year Smith, Staios, um, ah, maybe Tjarnqvist, maybe Greene? Last year checking line Moreau-Peca-Pisani, this year maybe Pisani-Stoll-Torres? The only thing keeping the Oilers from a division title last year was consistent goaltending, that is easily fixable with one trade. This year there are more holes in this team than a piece of swiss cheese. Bad defense, no scoring, no checkers, no bangers, just floaters (Lupul, Pisani, Sykora, Nedved, Petersen, etc.).

The Oilers, other than 2 bonehead penalties, played one of their best games against Van and lost 5-2. What does that say about the team? They outshot them 30-25 and gave up several shots on the 5 on 3's. This is just not a good team. They have no resolve, no moxy. They are not the Oilers teams who do not give up and find ways to win when it counts. That is when they fold like cheap suits.

Walsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 08:09 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
A lot of the players did play good, but the more I watch this team the more I think "a lot of decent players, but a terrible team." No high-end talent (Hemsky is the closest and has less than 10 goals) not enough structure, no shut down players, average goaltending on too many nights, and too many perimiter scorers who cannot create offense alone.

People are always saying "this team is in the same spot as last year what is all the fuss about?" The fuss is that this years team is so far behind last years in personell it is insane. Last year top 4 d - Pronger, Spacek, Staios, Smith - This year Smith, Staios, um, ah, maybe Tjarnqvist, maybe Greene? Last year checking line Moreau-Peca-Pisani, this year maybe Pisani-Stoll-Torres? The only thing keeping the Oilers from a division title last year was consistent goaltending, that is easily fixable with one trade. This year there are more holes in this team than a piece of swiss cheese. Bad defense, no scoring, no checkers, no bangers, just floaters (Lupul, Pisani, Sykora, Nedved, Petersen, etc.).

The Oilers, other than 2 bonehead penalties, played one of their best games against Van and lost 5-2. What does that say about the team? They outshot them 30-25 and gave up several shots on the 5 on 3's. This is just not a good team. They have no resolve, no moxy. They are not the Oilers teams who do not give up and find ways to win when it counts. That is when they fold like cheap suits.
I agree about the holes, but i dont think there is as many as you state, IMO in the forward crop we have about 2 maybe 3 holes max to fill, and on D, we have about 2.

SHH
Torres-Stoll-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-Lupul
Moreau (injured)-Reasoner-Pisani

Now the LW hole can be filled with prospects or young guys, but they must be defensively reliable and add a bit of a scoring touch. The Center position next to Lupul needs two things: Playmaking ability (needs a deft touch) and Defensive awareness. The RW next to Stoll and Torres IMO needs maybe one of two things: A Play-maker, and or someone who scores more on a consistent basis (ie J.Blake). The fact is, we do have a GREAT checking line, but they had to be broken up due to injury and/or forced to fill other holes on the team, its not as bas as it looks, i mean for play-making center, Stumpel from Florida wont cost the moon, so that can be filled easily. the RWer next to Stoll might be tough, but again can be done. The real problem IMO is on Defence, aquiring a Blue-liner is much harder than aquiring a forward. If this team misses the play-off (which i still dont think it will), then i say it will be because of that alone..

On Defence:

XXXX-Smith
XXXX-Hejda
Staios-Greene
Smid

(MAB used as trade bait)

Thats what i want to see in regards to Defence, A shut-down D-man can be had, but the higher the quality, the price inflate, ie if you wanted say Cory Sarich (TBL) or maybe even Vishnevski (ATL) as opposed to say Eric Brewer (STL), then you can get either peice fairly cheap (Assuming both are not in a playoff position ofcourse, if they are, they have no option of selling either).

The real problem is the other D-man, the all important leader of the pack, the type of D-man that no one wants to give up, either that or they are young and valuable and impossible to trade for, thats where i see the Oilers stumbling, getting a #1 D-man who can play awesome defensively, but also QB the PP (Dan Boyle i want you!).

anyway just my 2 cents...

Old
02-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Walsher

Quote:
I agree about the holes, but i dont think there is as many as you state, IMO in the forward crop we have about 2 maybe 3 holes max to fill, and on D, we have about 2.

SHH
Torres-Stoll-XXXX
XXXX-XXXX-Lupul
Moreau (injured)-Reasoner-Pisani

Now the LW hole can be filled with prospects or young guys, but they must be defensively reliable and add a bit of a scoring touch. The Center position next to Lupul needs two things: Playmaking ability (needs a deft touch) and Defensive awareness. The RW next to Stoll and Torres IMO needs maybe one of two things: A Play-maker, and or someone who scores more on a consistent basis (ie J.Blake). The fact is, we do have a GREAT checking line, but they had to be broken up due to injury and/or forced to fill other holes on the team, its not as bas as it looks, i mean for play-making center, Stumpel from Florida wont cost the moon, so that can be filled easily. the RWer next to Stoll might be tough, but again can be done. The real problem IMO is on Defence, aquiring a Blue-liner is much harder than aquiring a forward. If this team misses the play-off (which i still dont think it will), then i say it will be because of that alone..

On Defence:

XXXX-Smith
XXXX-Hejda
Staios-Greene
Smid

(MAB used as trade bait)

Thats what i want to see in regards to Defence, A shut-down D-man can be had, but the higher the quality, the price inflate, ie if you wanted say Cory Sarich (TBL) or maybe even Vishnevski (ATL) as opposed to say Eric Brewer (STL), then you can get either peice fairly cheap (Assuming both are not in a playoff position ofcourse, if they are, they have no option of selling either).

The real problem is the other D-man, the all important leader of the pack, the type of D-man that no one wants to give up, either that or they are young and valuable and impossible to trade for, thats where i see the Oilers stumbling, getting a #1 D-man who can play awesome defensively, but also QB the PP (Dan Boyle i want you!).

anyway just my 2 cents...
There aren't gaping holes at forward, but there aren't any stars either. My point is that none of the Oilers forwards are game breakers/elite offensive players. They are good secondary scorers. Hemsky will be great, but not there yet. To me holes are more than just not having NHL calibre players, it also includes lacking legitimate scoring threats, shut down players, and energy guys. I think the Oilers lack all 3 in spades.

Old
02-09-2007, 10:17 AM
Arcane

Quote:

I said a 'Jarome type' player. as in playing a tough type of game and scoring at the same time.

and to gr8haluschak, I think Roloson is playing fine, it's just that he never comes up with a 'big save' to either keep us in the game or keep us up, as he did in the playoffs last year.

Old
02-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Q038

Quote:
I said a 'Jarome type' player. as in playing a tough type of game and scoring at the same time.

and to gr8haluschak, I think Roloson is playing fine, it's just that he never comes up with a 'big save' to either keep us in the game or keep us up, as he did in the playoffs last year.

i'm sure roli is a little tired atm, but that ones on MacT waiting to long to get roli consistent rest... Roli's career resurgence is in his twilight years...

Comparing Torres to Iggy in anyway is only going to bring you rubber hose beatings

but i will say this.... i have a dream... a wonderful dream... a dream i still continue to hold onto even through the frustation....

Torres receives a heart transplant and Wendel Clark was the donor

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
PuckNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q038 View Post
Comparing Torres to Iggy in anyway is only going to bring you rubber hose beatings

but i will say this.... i have a dream... a wonderful dream... a dream i still continue to hold onto even through the frustation....

Torres receives a heart transplant and Wendel Clark was the donor
He's comparing styles of play. What's wrong with that? He's not saying Torres is anywhere near as effective or skilled as Iginla.

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:59 AM
Q038

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
He's comparing styles of play. What's wrong with that? He's not saying Torres is anywhere near as effective or skilled as Iginla.
Rack it up to just poking fun, i knew he ment by it. Id asume everyone knows what he ment by it....

Torres atm doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as iggy sort of thing.... hence the rubber hose and tongue sticky out thingy i had asumed was enough to make it obvious.. i guess i asumed wrong..

Q038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:07 AM
Matty31

Send a message via MSN to Matty31
Quote:
Rack it up to just poking fun, i knew he ment by it. Id asume everyone knows what he ment by it....

Torres atm doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as iggy sort of thing.... hence the rubber hose and tongue sticky out thingy i had asumed was enough to make it obvious.. i guess i asumed wrong..
I thought it was obvious.

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
PuckNut

Quote:

It was pretty obvious, but you also get guys like this. Should have just responded to his.

Quote:

PuckNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Arcane

at the end of the day, let's not get carried away here

Old
02-09-2007, 04:57 PM
Flash Walken

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckNut View Post
It was pretty obvious, but you also get guys like this. Should have just responded to his.
Torres is going to have to do a bit more than make the odd hit and score the odd goal to be an 'iginla type player'.

That's like saying if alexander steen can get a few more assists and backcheck, he'll be a 'rod brind'amour type player'.

Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 05:02 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
How much more do some people want from him, sweet jesus seriously does he need to shut out 5 out of every 6 games, and that 6th game he can only let 1 in before people are happy ?
re-read my post. I agree that Roloson has played well for the Oilers. I love the guy. He simply isn't giving us that timely big save that other top tier goalies do on a consistent basis like Luongo or Kipprosoff. Luongo outplayed Roloson last game AGAIN. The 3rd Van goal was a back breaker. The first two were certainly not the fault of Roloson.

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 05:21 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8haluschak View Post
Look at his stats, watch the quality of goals he is allowing at key times, he is anything but stellar this year. Take away the first 20 ish games and he has been down right bad for a lot of the action.