HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Souray the real habs' captain?

Old
02-07-2007, 10:04 AM
seb911

vCash: 500
Is Souray the real habs' captain?

I heard this recently, I love Saku Koivu, but I think SOURAY is the real captain now, for me it seems saku is affected by the way things are going with rivet and habs, and souray has the guts to speak to guys, and character. hes been around for many years.

btw, i think souray will ask for a deal like chara, 7.5 Million, 5 yr @37.5M

he can hit, score, leadership, fight, the complete player...

seb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:07 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb911 View Post
I heard this recently, I love Saku Koivu, but I think SOURAY is the real captain now, for me it seems saku is affected by the way things are going with rivet and habs, and souray has the guts to speak to guys, and character. hes been around for many years.

I hope not

And I don't think it's anything new that Souray is having the guts to speak to the guys... I think that's the type of person he is, he likes to encourage his guys and always tries to see things on the brightside.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
The n00b King *

Quote:

there's no way Souray will ask for this much.

max 5M. the guy knows he's not a superstar, he's just got one of 'em cannon shots. i dont want the habs to make a McCabe mistake...

The n00b King * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Natural Habs Fan

Saku has seemed a bit different lately. Maybe he's just frustrated at his and the team's lack of production?

Souray is captain material IMO. The guy has a good rep and I think is liked by the refs. If Koivu wasn't around I'd pick Souray to be the captain hands down.

Natural Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:18 AM
go_habs_go

Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Quote:

I know alot of people will think im crazy...but i have ALWAYS thought Souray would make a better captain for the MTL canadiens..and as of right now..if I was gm..Souray would be my main man, yes i would sign him before Markov!

go_habs_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:20 AM
Astaroth

Quote:

Good character, could be our captain if it wasn't Koivu but really he's just a bigger and more physical rover like Mccabe. He's worth 5 at most and even then you're playing with fire. His lateral skating is just so terrible.

Astaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:21 AM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Souray is one of the leaders on this team. He exerts a certain amount of influence on other players and as a veteran definitely has influence on the team. However, Koivu is the captain. Koivu is a leader and wears the C. Ask Souray who he thinks the captain is.

ControlFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
mcphee

Quote:

What does it matter what a guy asks for ? He signs for the best offer.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Toro

Souray and Markov must be resigned. Souray is captain material. If he was better defensively 1 on 1 he would command what pronger, lidstrom make.

Souray seems to not have wrist problems any more and is a Horse. The guy is our policeman, our PP goal scorer, and on of the ra ra guys in the room.

Gainey knows this and wants to sign them both, its up to them if they want to stay.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:27 AM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
Souray seems to not have wrist problems any more and is a Horse.
That's because he doesn't hit anymore...

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

The season is like a roller coaster, with highs and lows, good parts and bad. Koivu is just in a slump right now, he will snap out of it and y'all will be eating some crow come playoff time.

Souray is an assistant captain, part of his job is to step up when things aren't going well and help Koivu with his captainly duties. With all of the whining I'm reading about Koivu not being a leader and people jumping off the Hab bandwagon, for a second I thought this was a LEAFS BOARD!!!!

By the way, nice post SEB.

02-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Sweaty17

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King View Post
there's no way Souray will ask for this much.

max 5M. the guy knows he's not a superstar, he's just got one of 'em cannon shots. i dont want the habs to make a McCabe mistake...
He won't have to ask for $5 Million, somebody will offer more....just won't be the habs.

All-Star defencemen are at a premium now in the NHL

Souray gets between 6 and 6.5 this off season

Sweaty17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:20 AM
habitue*

Quote:

Can he be an average d-man at least ? No, he won't get that much money. Maybe 5 millions per y for 3 years. Big max !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:55 AM
moshedw

Souray currently sitting atop the habs leaderboard in stats and leadership, EX: Scoring the winning goal in OT, standing up for poor Koivu,
But should the captaincy be taken away from koivu for Souray, no way.

the only way to do this would be to trade koivu..

The ideal solution would be to package koivu while he still has value with others that have value, such as Perezhogin, Ryder, Kost, First!
For a FRANCHISE CENTER which we desperatly need plus some change.
Ideal team would be ?????, maybe Florida??

And of course give Souray the much warranted contract which he deserves.

moshedw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Le Maroons

Saku Koivu is the real captain, forget about the fact he has a C on his sweater. He's proven too much in his career to have doubters now. He's in a slump.

Souray will not make 7+ million, although he's tough, offensive and a leader, 7+ million goes to a guy that has Markov's and Souray's combined talents. Neither of these players deserve 7+ million. McCabe gets 5.75, Kaberle gets 4.25. If those two combine for 10, I don't think Markov and Souray should get more.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 01:15 PM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go View Post
I know alot of people will think im crazy...but i have ALWAYS thought Souray would make a better captain for the MTL canadiens..and as of right now..if I was gm..Souray would be my main man, yes i would sign him before Markov!
You're not the only one.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:26 PM
shealy04

I think Souray thinks Saku is the captain, and that is precisely why he came to his defense after the Armstrong hit...

That being said, I also think Souray would make a great captain, but Saku IS this team's captain.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:34 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Those of you expecting Souray to get $5m are dreaming. Souray will at least get $6m.
As Gainey, I'd offer him $5.75. I don't think that would be his highest offer, but I'd be hoping that it'd be enough to keep him.
And IMO, Markov will get between $4-5m.

As for McCabe/Kaberle or Markov/Souray, I'd go with Markov and Souray.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:37 PM
znk

Anyone who gives Souray more then 5 millions is not doing themselves a favor.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Aarex

Quote:

Exept he can't play defence, kind of a big area to lack in when your a.....defenceman.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:41 PM
dodecapod*

Souray is an idiot. Everytime the team plays badly he says it's because "we didn't play physical enough". No actually it's because you're a terrible puck moving defenseman and make Brashear look like Alex Ovechkin.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Maddas*

Koivu is the real Habs Captain. Souray is a great leader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexCopterKey View Post
Souray is an idiot. Everytime the team plays badly he says it's because "we didn't play physical enough". No actually it's because you're a terrible puck moving defenseman and make Brashear look like Alex Ovechkin.
This is harsh...

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:49 PM
znk

Quote:
How many post game interviews have you heard? Cause that's false.

And last time I checked...Brashear never scored 18 goals in a season...I think 11 is his max.

Some people simply dont realize that Souray this year, altho he still have defensive flaws, is one of the best offensive D in the league. And many of our wins (more then loses) are owed to him. 5 game wining goals.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:57 PM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Regardless, if we didn't have Souray we wouldn'tbe in the playoffs right now.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:58 PM
dodecapod*

Quote:
Some people simply dont realize that Souray this year, altho he still have defensive flaws, is one of the best offensive D in the league. And many of our wins (more then loses) are owed to him.
I never said Souray is a bad point man, he has the hardest shot in the league but he's the Habs' worst defensive player. Everytime he's playing defense and on the ice I'm panicking because I see a guy outskating him, or he's out of position, challenging someone leaving another guy wide open, doesn't have his stick in the right passing lane. It's even worse when he's the guy fetching a dump in. If he isn't making a blind pass through the slot he's taking 10 seconds to make up his mind until the forechecker has already stripped him of the puck and given himself an easy breakaway.

Souray has a bomb from the point and can use it to swing the momentum in the Habs' favour, but he'll just be the reason the Habs are scored on the very next faceoff. He's a 50/50 player. He can either make or break a game for you and I'd much rather have someone who at least knows the basics of every aspect of the game than just unleashing slapshots from the point.

dodecapod* is offline   Reply With Quote