HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miller coming back up?

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2003, 05:50 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

vCash: 500
EDITED: Official, Miller is back in Buffalo

sabrefans.com is reporting that the Amerks have recalled Greg Gardner. Unless there's an injury that I missed, logically it seems that this is the precursor move to Miller being recalled by the Sabres. Thoughts?

Last edited by Ruckus007: 12-08-2003 at 06:56 AM.
Old
12-07-2003, 06:00 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
I wouldn't be so sure of that source... but it would be an interesting development.

Old
12-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

It's also on the Mississippi Sea Wolves website, for what it's worth.

http://msseawolves.com/news.php?id=419

Old
12-07-2003, 07:19 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
It's also on the Mississippi Sea Wolves website, for what it's worth.

http://msseawolves.com/news.php?id=419
Miller coming back up+No Injuries= trade forthcoming? (note: THIS IS PURE CONJECTURE)

Old
12-08-2003, 04:53 AM
Kozak72

http://sabres.com/pressbox/index.php?nID=89

Miller is recalled to Buffalo.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:03 AM
Kruschiki

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozak72
http://sabres.com/pressbox/index.php?nID=89

Miller is recalled to Buffalo.
sweet

Old
12-08-2003, 05:04 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

This will be very interesting to watch.

Did they place McKee on IR to open up the roster spot?

Old
12-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Takeo

Something's up with Biron or Noronen. Even if a roster spot opened up, there is absolutely no reason to have all 3 on the active roster!

Old
12-08-2003, 05:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

There is one very good reason to have all 3 on the roster:

This team needs a spark and Miller is the only player in Rochester that can provide it right now.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:31 AM
Devo-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob

This team needs a spark and Miller is the only player in Rochester that can provide it right now.
Too bad he has to provide that spark against Detroit.

Old
12-08-2003, 05:33 AM
Takeo

Quote:

Nope. Adding Miller to the rotation will only kill the confidence of all three; Miller by adding some more frustrating losses to his resume, and Biron and Noronen by Ruff showing utter dissatisfaction in both. And the goaltending hasn't been the problem lately...WE CAN'T PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET. The Sabres expected Miller to netmind and score in the first two games, and he didn't come through. Shucks! Well, it's not gonna happen this time either. Bad, bad move if Miller is brought up to add the proverbial/cliched/abstract "spark" element.

...this assuming Miller doesn't suit up as forward.

Last edited by Takeo: 12-08-2003 at 05:37 AM.
Old
12-08-2003, 05:55 AM
LALALALALALAFONTAINE

Who says Miller goes into a 3 man rotation? It wouldn't surprise me to see Biron watch games from above.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LALALALALALAFONTAINE
Who says Miller goes into a 3 man rotation? It wouldn't surprise me to see Biron watch games from above.
I would be shocked and pleased if that were the case. But how long can 2.2 mil "watch games from above"??

Old
12-08-2003, 06:03 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo21
Nope. Adding Miller to the rotation will only kill the confidence of all three; Miller by adding some more frustrating losses to his resume, and Biron and Noronen by Ruff showing utter dissatisfaction in both. And the goaltending hasn't been the problem lately...WE CAN'T PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET. The Sabres expected Miller to netmind and score in the first two games, and he didn't come through. Shucks! Well, it's not gonna happen this time either. Bad, bad move if Miller is brought up to add the proverbial/cliched/abstract "spark" element.

...this assuming Miller doesn't suit up as forward.
Since you can tell the future would you mind telling me the next MegaMillions numbers.

Miller is too tough mentally to let frustrating losses eat at him. The two losses at the beginning of this season obviously didn't bother him too much.

And neither did getting sent down after the team failed to show up in front of him in those two games.

And as far as Biron's confidence goes, who cares right now? I think his poor play is killing his confidence far more than Miller getting called up ever will.

And I don't see this affecting Noronen too much either. I think he'll get the same number of games and Biron will be reduced to practice goalie status for the time being.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:04 AM
imyourhuckleberry
Nyaaa..What's Up Doc

It's Miller time!

Old
12-08-2003, 06:12 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Since you can tell the future would you mind telling me the next MegaMillions numbers.
9, 17, 27, 41, 43; Mega Ball = 22

Quote:
Miller is too tough mentally to let frustrating losses eat at him. The two losses at the beginning of this season obviously didn't bother him too much.
He rebounded, granted, but practically shedding tears in a post-game interview is an ominous red flag.

Quote:
And as far as Biron's confidence goes, who cares right now? I think his poor play is killing his confidence far more than Miller getting called up ever will.
Well put.

Quote:
And I don't see this affecting Noronen too much either. I think he'll get the same number of games and Biron will be reduced to practice goalie status for the time being.
My only concern is that Noronen has earned starting time IMHO. If not now, when?? A move like this only reinforces his perception of a back-up ceiling on this team. And a "practice goalie" doesn't get paid 2.2 mil. Especially not on a small market club like Buffalo.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:21 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
He rebounded, granted, but practically shedding tears in a post-game interview is an ominous red flag.
Or perhaps it was just the media playing it up..........

I'd be far more worried about Miller's mental state had he gone back to Rochester and struggled. But since he has been pretty dominant in the AHL level, then I have no worries about how Miller will handle things mentally.

Quote:
My only concern is that Noronen has earned starting time IMHO. If not now, when??
I think the Sabres have tried to give Noronen more time, but he's been unable to string together a bunch of starts where he plays above average.

In 12 starts this year Noronen's Save% has only been better than the league average of .911 6 times. It's that hot and cold stuff that is keeping Noronen from getting longer stretches of games.

Quote:
A move like this only reinforces his perception of a back-up ceiling on this team.
I don't get what you mean by that. Could you explain?

Quote:
And a "practice goalie" doesn't get paid 2.2 mil. Especially not on a small market club like Buffalo.
I don't think Biron is paid enough that the team will keep throwing him out there despite being in the bottom third of the league in GAA and Save%.

Marty was shown the money of a #1 and failed to produce. If Miller takes the job by the throat, then I'd expect that Biron either gets dealt for whatever Regier can get or he'll get exposed and sent to Rochester if nobody will offer anything.

Marty will only get another shot if either Miller struggles or the team keeps failing to show up in front of him.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:43 AM
Takeo

Quote:
I don't get what you mean by that. Could you explain?
Sorry, I thought that was clunky when I was typing.

To explain, I think that Noronen's confidence will waver with Miller up, because he will perceive his ceiling, or highest attainable status, on this team to be in a back-up capacity. Noronen has outplayed Biron and, thus, has earned the starting job. I don't think his consistency should be judged based on periods of only 2/3 games in a row as starting goalie. We need to ride this kid for 2/3 weeks to see what he can produce with a little stability. Noronen's perception of backup duty or split-time at best as his ceiling will have a debilitating effect on his overall confidence and motivation IMHO.

It'll be interesting to see in LALA's thread on the Rumours board if fans reveal any market at all for Marty.

Old
12-08-2003, 06:44 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
This will be very interesting to watch.

Did they place McKee on IR to open up the roster spot?

That was the first thought that came to my mind as well. I'd like to thank sabrefans and the Mississippi Sea Wolves website for breaking this story...

Old
12-08-2003, 06:56 AM
cybresabre
Smooth as Marzette G

vCash: 1001
Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
sabres.com's fan service thing emailed it out, as well

Old
12-08-2003, 07:03 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Sorry, I thought that was clunky when I was typing.

To explain, I think that Noronen's confidence will waver with Miller up, because he will perceive his ceiling, or highest attainable status, on this team to be in a back-up capacity. Noronen has outplayed Biron and, thus, has earned the starting job. I don't think his consistency should be judged based on periods of only 2/3 games in a row as starting goalie. We need to ride this kid for 2/3 weeks to see what he can produce with a little stability. Noronen's perception of backup duty or split-time at best as his ceiling will have a debilitating effect on his overall confidence and motivation IMHO.

It'll be interesting to see in LALA's thread on the Rumours board if fans reveal any market at all for Marty.
I doubt any team has much interest in Biron right now.

Just look at Brian Boucher in Phoenix. He went unclaimed in the waiver draft and the Yotes have been unable to unload him all season.

I see the Sabres being in the same boat with Biron.

And as far as Noronen goes, if he's that weak mentally he'll have a hard time making it in the NHL. He should know that if he plays well on a more consistent basis that he'll play more often.

I think it's more on Noronen's shoulders to earn more playing time than it is on the Sabres to give him more playing time based on faith that he'll play better with a higher workload.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:11 AM
Takeo

Quote:
And as far as Noronen goes, if he's that weak mentally he'll have a hard time making it in the NHL.
And another possibility is that he simply gets pissed off. Either way, it's not a healthy situation. He deserves...and has earned...better.

Old
12-08-2003, 07:29 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
And another possibility is that he simply gets pissed off. Either way, it's not a healthy situation. He deserves...and has earned...better.
I disagree.

Miller has earned a shot in the NHL as well by not sulking when he got sent down to Rochester. Unlike Mika did last year.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:29 AM
David3750

At the moment, I don't care if Darcy Regier's long lost grandmother ends up being our netminder. The issue has always been and will continue to be that THIS FRICKIN TEAM CAN'T SCORE GOALS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Goaltenders don't provide sparks; goal scorers do.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:43 AM
WhoIsJimBob
I Believe

Quote:
Goaltenders don't provide sparks; goal scorers do.
Hasek may disagree..............

Closed Thread