HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Muck's on Team 1200 right now

Old
02-07-2007, 02:40 PM
NCSENSFAN

vCash: 500
Muck's on Team 1200 right now

talking about the Russian kids, and Van Allen going over to see most of the Euro players, then they will make a decision on them.

As of right now they will not draft any Russian players in this upcoming draft.

Hamel might be going on waivers in the next few days...

Talks have opened up with Phillips on a long term deal...

talking about upcoming classes of FA and how the team only has 13 mill spent in two years...

NCSENSFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Sens are like Whoa

Question: What kind of sweater did it sound like he was wearing?

Sens are like Whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Methot Man
The Rhythm Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN View Post

talking about upcoming classes of FA and how the team only has 13 mill spent in two years...
Unfortunately that $13 million includes the following contracts:

Gerber - $3.700 million
Corvo - $2.625 million
Schaefer - $2.100 million

Other (good) contracts:

Alfredsson - $4.339 million
Neil - $1.1 million

Total - $13.864 million

Methot Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:02 PM
N Bahn Ahden

Won't draft anymore Russians? That seems odd considering are best picks in recent drafts have been from our Russian guru scout Shagas (sp?). One of the best things about our drafting of late has been are willingness to take value Russians like Zubov and Nikulan. The fact that there is no transfer agreement isn't necessarily a bad thing so long as we can expect there will be one in a year or two. Drafting russians is the only way around the 2 year period of draft rights.

Hamel to waivers is expected.

Phillips extension is good news.

Since when did Van Allen become our organizational scout. He has been in Bingo too watching our guys.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:10 PM
The Fuhr*

I heard about Van Allen a while ago.

A guy with no talent like him being able to stay in the NHL because of his mind as to be a good evaluator of talent. imo

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:24 PM
IranCondraAffair

I'll take the opposing viewpoint Huxxy.

1. Schaefer's contract isn't bad at all.

A. Doesn't get injured a lot
B. Will put up a consistant 40-50 points on second line without powerplay time
C. Decent two-way game. (checks stats) Has never has been a minus player for an entire season since his rookie year.
D. Brings an element we would lack (board work)

Sure, he could deliver a few more hits to take people off the puck, or he could put in 5 more goals to make us feel better, but it's not like he's a 5 million $ albatross hanging around out neck.

What do you think he's overpaid? 200k? 400k? That's not a lot. Who woudl you replace him with for less over the next 4 years?

2. Corvo also, isn't that bad considering the price of defensemen. He's not great, but considering how streaky he is, he looks like a steal quite often when he can put the puck in the net. To be honest, moving him will only require us to find a replacement as along with a team with a hole in their powerplay.

3. As for Gerber, he's been playing much better and if he continues his solid play, there's no reason a team wouldn't give up a draft pick for him. To me at least, that's a sign he's actually at about market rate. He did after all take a pay cut to sign with us.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:47 PM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
3. As for Gerber, he's been playing much better and if he continues his solid play, there's no reason a team wouldn't give up a draft pick for him. To me at least, that's a sign he's actually at about market rate. He did after all take a pay cut to sign with us.
he didnt take a pay cut to sign with us, we won the bidding war to sign him.

no team will give a draft pick for him, thats rediculous

CheeseSandwich* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by preissing on aisle 9 View Post

Apparently St. Louis offered him more money, but he came here because of Murray.

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:50 PM
moz
Gute Post

He means that we offered less than St. Louis.

beaten

Last edited by moz: 02-07-2007 at 04:50 PM.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthew View Post
Apparently St. Louis offered him more money, but he came here because of Murray.

IIRC, it was Detroit that offered more than us.

Point remains, Gerber had offers for more money than what the Sens offered. He took the Ottawa deal instead.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:52 PM
Egil

Quote:

But I bet we could do Gerber and a 5th for a 7th or something.

Egil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:54 PM
Tony_S*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egil View Post
But I bet we could do Gerber and a 5th for a 7th or something.
That would be awesome...

Tony_S* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 03:59 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:

Actually, Detroit and another team offered him more money.

Furthermore, as I already mentioned, if he continues his strong play he'll probably finish with around a .910 save percentage and a 2.50 GAA. Better than such goalies as Khabibulin, Raycroft, Roloson, Turco, Kolzig, Toskala, Miller, Fernandez, etc... Some of whom actually make more than Gerber. Are you saying they too don't have any trade value? Some of their contracts are actually worse.

To make matters better, if he continues his more torrid VERY recent pace he'll probably sneak into the top-10. Although logic precludes me from believing he will do so, it's still much more foolish to believe that won't garner anything in a trade should he continue to play well.

Old
02-07-2007, 04:26 PM
Brandi

So , did he talk about trading Gratts? I hope not....

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
jamiebez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhr86 View Post
I heard about Van Allen a while ago.

A guy with no talent like him being able to stay in the NHL because of his mind as to be a good evaluator of talent. imo
I laughed out loud when I read this. Good point!

jamiebez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:29 PM
discostu

I was fairly worried about getting stuck with Gerber past this season, but, after looking around the league, I think there are enough teams with goaltending issues, that Gerber will carry some value, without having to worry about contractual issues.

I see the following teams probably looking to improve their starting goaltending situations for next year:

Boston
Columbus
Detroit (depending on whether Hasek retires)
Florida
Los Angeles
Philly
Phoenix

There's a chance that some may be able to solve their problems internally (i.e. Telqvist may look good down the stretch for Phoenix), but, generally, I think all of those teams will explore options over the summer.

The only decent free agent goalies that I'm aware of for next summer, that will probably hit the open market are Aebischer and Biron, who's still just a back-up right now himself. Other than that, I see the following players potentially being available via trade from various teams looking for a guy who can take on starter duties:

-Nabakov/Toskala
-Bryzgalov
-Mason

After that, the selection is pretty thin. It's quite possible that the free agent guys like Aebischer and Biron demand a price comparable to what Gerber is making, based on the demand. Gerber may be a more attractive option just due to contract length. Ottawa won't likely be demanding a heavy trade return either. Last year, the price on Toskala was quite heavy, which scared teams away.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:34 PM
PlayItAgain

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSENSFAN View Post
talking about the Russian kids, and Van Allen going over to see most of the Euro players, then they will make a decision on them.

As of right now they will not draft any Russian players in this upcoming draft.
He actually never said that they won't draft any Russian players. He said that the Russian players available (at the time the Sens pick) will have to be better than any other player available without any doubt, in order for the Sens to draft them.

Meaning we won't draft any Russian players unless they are very clearly the best players available.

PlayItAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
The Fuhr*

What Mucks should have said is we will do everything in our power to draft Jim O'Brien.

I am going to find Mucklers phone number and give him a call every 10 minutes until he agrees to draft him.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:39 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayItAgain View Post
He actually never said that they won't draft any Russian players. He said that the Russian players available (at the time the Sens pick) will have to be better than any other player available without any doubt, in order for the Sens to draft them.

Meaning we won't draft any Russian players unless they are very clearly the best players available.
Which seems to be consistent with how we've drafted Russian players so far. The general consensus was, that for any of the picks that we made from Russia in recent years, that those players would have gone much higher with a transfer agreement in place.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Ike Thermite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocioJoe View Post
Furthermore, as I already mentioned, if he continues his strong play he'll probably finish with around a .910 save percentage and a 2.50 GAA. Better than such goalies as Khabibulin, Raycroft, Roloson, Turco, Kolzig, Toskala, Miller, Fernandez, etc... Some of whom actually make more than Gerber. Are you saying they too don't have any trade value? Some of their contracts are actually worse.
Gerber: 3.09, .899
Roloson: 2.79, .906
Turco: 2.33, .908
Kolzig: 3.04, .910
Toskala: 2.33, .910
Miller: 2.71, .912
Fernandez: 2.57, .911

I don't see how you can really argue that Gerber's likely to finish with better numbers than any of those guys. Maybe Kolzig but he's behind a horrible defensive team in Washington.

There's just no way Gerber knocks .60 off his GAA in the what, 5-7 games he's likely to start the rest of the year. You can say that's what he'd do if he maintains his current pace but that pace is something like 1.75 GAA, .940 SV%. Gerber's never shown himself to be that sort of goalie over the long haul (hell, no goalie in the entire history of the game has). The best you should realistically be hoping for is something like 2.80, .905.

That's not to say I don't think he might be tradeable during the summer, though I admit I am worried that it'll be tough to find someone to take him. He's lost his starting job two years in a row now to kids and was nothing but a backup the rest of his career prior to that. It might take finding a sucker.

Ike Thermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Rico__Persson*

Those Russians will be hard pressed to get a passing grade from Van Wilder. Van Allen made his career on hard work and consistency. Two words that are rarely used to define Russian hockey players.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig4 View Post
Gerber: 3.09, .899
Roloson: 2.79, .906
Turco: 2.33, .908
Kolzig: 3.04, .910
Toskala: 2.33, .910
Miller: 2.71, .912
Fernandez: 2.57, .911

I don't see how you can really argue that Gerber's likely to finish with better numbers than any of those guys. Maybe Kolzig but he's behind a horrible defensive team in Washington.

There's just no way Gerber knocks .60 off his GAA in the what, 5-7 games he's likely to start the rest of the year. You can say that's what he'd do if he maintains his current pace but that pace is something like 1.75 GAA, .940 SV%. Gerber's never shown himself to be that sort of goalie over the long haul (hell, no goalie in the entire history of the game has). The best you should realistically be hoping for is something like 2.80, .905.

That's not to say I don't think he might be tradeable during the summer, though I admit I am worried that it'll be tough to find someone to take him. He's lost his starting job two years in a row now to kids and was nothing but a backup the rest of his career prior to that. It might take finding a sucker.

Personally, I don't view it as Gerber performing as a ".940%" goalie, I view it as "regression to the mean" through a larger sample size. Gerber is not a sub .900 goalie, and we're basing his performance on a 20 game sample size. By making it larger, we're actually making it MORE accurate, no less. Also, I don't think he'll only start 5 games, I was thinking he'd start at least 10 by the end of the season which makes a big difference as well. The truth is, I don't know how much he can do, let alone how much he will do, but let's say he does start 10 games, this is what would happen if he does continue to play well.

(gets claculator)

.920% - 10 more games = .905
.930% - 10 more games = .908
.940% - 10 more games = .912

Over the last 2 games, he's actually been saving .948 so although it's unlikly that he maintains a .940 average over the next 10 games, a .930 average shouldn't be too hard which would bring him to right around where the aforementioned goalies are standing. As for the .920 average which you already mentioned as "best you should realistically be hoping for " since it will bring him up to the league average save % of .905, I also think is a fair assumption.

Let's face it though, it's a small sample size so even a single shutout will have a big impact compared to some goalies where it will only be a drop in the bucket.

Old
02-07-2007, 09:51 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico__Persson View Post
Those Russians will be hard pressed to get a passing grade from Van Wilder. Van Allen made his career on hard work and consistency. Two words that are rarely used to define Russian hockey players.
Abusive generalisations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scouting

Volchenkov is a lazy, cowardly, with a low pain tolerance.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:06 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
Abusive generalisations >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> scouting

Volchenkov is a lazy, cowardly, with a low pain tolerance.
I just find it hilarious how Van Allen is scouting them. He's the complete opposite of a skilled player. Maybe one of the most unskilled players to play in town.

And I also used the word "most Russians", as North America does have Mike Ribeiro's and Daniel Briere's of their own.

Rico__Persson* is offline   Reply With Quote