HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Fantanking?

Old
02-07-2007, 04:01 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Fantanking?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...70202_magazine

Yes, it's a basketball article, but it's a universal concept in the world of sports.

I haven't quite gotten to this point yet, but I ain't very from it. Has anyone gotten there yet? What will it take for the rest of us to get there?

edit: To make things clear for people who don't follow the NBA, Paul Pierce is the Boston Celtics franchise player and Doc Rivers is their coach (though this partcular writer has big problems with that), while Greg Oden and Kevin Durant are the 2 phenoms in the draft this year. (Their buzz is similar to what Ovechkin and Malkin were getting prior to their draft)

Last edited by Sethis: 02-07-2007 at 04:08 PM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:17 PM
Matty31

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Matty31
Are you saying we may start doing that too?

If we are totally out of the race and the trade deadline passes I think more people will be fantanking. Especially if the Oilers become sellers at the deadline

Matty31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:24 PM
canadave

Well, everyone's entitled to their own personal relationship with their team, so if someone wants to "fantank", so be it.

Personally, I think anyone who would root for their team to lose, even if it's to get a good chance at a high draft pick for next season, has totally lost sight of what sports and cheering for your team is supposed to be about. I might also add that many of these same people would, in an amazingly hypocritical fit of anger, get mad at the players on their favourite team if the players decided to quit on the season.

canadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Canadave, I know where your coming from and it is, and has been, my stance with the Oilers as long as I've rooted for them because they've always been a competitive team with their heart on their sleeves. This season that identity has been slipping a little but with the young players we have (Torres, Stoll, Lupul, Hemsky, Stortini, Smid, Greene, Bergeron, Thoresen) a transition period can be expected. Hell, there have been nights this year where nearly half the team probably doesn't have a full myelin coating around their frontal lobe.

With my OTHER favorite teams, I've never been in this situation with the Steelers because in the short time I've followed football they've always been competitive too. The Raptors on the other hand? Not so much.

It's not exactly that you are rooting against them as Simmons puts forth, but you become indifferent. Last year, we were cellar dwellers in the league, our best player (Bosh) was out to close out the season and our second best player (James) was about the worst team player I've ever seen. So, I was resigned to accept losses and watch the young players grow with playing time. It's not rooting against them, it's a win-win scenario. Your team loses and its up the draft rankings, your team wins - well good golly they just beat the odds, way to go.

The Oilers situation is vastly different, but all I've seen this season is a team slowly losing momentum and I don't really see any signs of it picking up with no D-man trade in sight and Stoll/Moreau on the shelf. When it gets closer and we keep slipping, that feeling of indifference might start creeping up on me.

Right now? I'm still hoping like hell we go on a crazy run and make the playoffs - It's the Oiler way

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Boilers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadave View Post
Well, everyone's entitled to their own personal relationship with their team, so if someone wants to "fantank", so be it.

Personally, I think anyone who would root for their team to lose, even if it's to get a good chance at a high draft pick for next season, has totally lost sight of what sports and cheering for your team is supposed to be about. I might also add that many of these same people would, in an amazingly hypocritical fit of anger, get mad at the players on their favourite team if the players decided to quit on the season.

I might add that the street you mention goes both ways. If the players do quit on the team it's easy enough for the fans to quit on the slackers as well. Thus turning on the team by booing said players.

I've flirted with the tankers, but it's no use, thus far I figure I'm in it 'till I die or they win it all again. Tell you this though, if it'd land us a Crosby clone I'd be on the tankers side rather easily.

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 05:44 PM
alanschu

Quote:
This was significant because, with a total of 92 MLB, NBA and NFL teams, I had about a 2.5 percent chance to root for two champs in the same year. (Note: I'm excluding the NHL because it held its All-Star Game on a Wednesday on a network called Versus. If we included hockey, we'd have to include Arena Football, MLS, National Lacrosse League, "Pros vs. Joes" and "Real World/Road Rules Challenge." Much easier this way.)
Hahahahahahahahahaha.

I wonder if ESPN is bitter or something.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote