HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tired of Dandenault?

Old
02-07-2007, 08:28 PM
missthenet

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's the price we pay for not developing serviceable defensemen in the minors.
We lost 2 who are doing quite well, Beauchemin and Hainsey, poor asset management

missthenet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 08:34 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by missthenet View Post
We lost 2 who are doing quite well, Beauchemin and Hainsey, poor asset management
Beauchamin is inconsistant, hes been up and down all year. However losing Hainsey was a heartbreaker though.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:39 PM
NewGuy

Dandenault gets paid so good because he is one of the few free agents that has ever wanted to come and play for the Habs.

NewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 09:45 PM
GoodKiwi

Dandy is fine and dandy...

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Mike8

Dandenault's been good this year. He was a warrior in the playoffs last year. How anyone can accuse him of not bringing anything to the table is beyond me. His skating alone is among the best for defensemen in the league.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScull View Post
That's the price we pay for not developing serviceable defensemen in the minors.
There's some truth in this. Most teams have a couple of young guys that shuffle in and out of the line-up as 5th/6th and special teams players. The Habs are/were so thin that they really needed a long-term veteran fix.

But I like what he brings. I find his physical game underrated. He's not a bruiser, but he finishes his checks and competes hard in corner battles. I think one of the problems with Dandenault is one of perception: for a guy who skates that well, you just wish he had some more offensive awareness and talent.

Overall, he's worth 1.7 million, as he usually gives the team a pretty reliable 16-20 mins a night. (I mean, McGillis is making more to play in the AHL, so I guess it's all relative.)

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Geoffvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
There's some truth in this. Most teams have a couple of young guys that shuffle in and out of the line-up as 5th/6th and special teams players. The Habs are/were so thin that they really needed a long-term veteran fix.

But I like what he brings. I find his physical game underrated. He's not a bruiser, but he finishes his checks and competes hard in corner battles. I think one of the problems with Dandenault is one of perception: for a guy who skates that well, you just wish he had some more offensive awareness and talent.

Overall, he's worth 1.7 million, as he usually gives the team a pretty reliable 16-20 mins a night. (I mean, McGillis is making more to play in the AHL, so I guess it's all relative.)
Agreed with both above quotes. Dandenault is serviceable, and consistent. He makes mistakes, but not that many, he doesn't take bad penalties very often, he seems to have a good attitude and few brain cramps.
Overpaid? Probably, but all UFA defencemen have been overpaid recently.

With all the things on this team to complain about, why dandenault? He's the least of our problems. We need to focus our energies!

Geoffvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Maddas*

He's been one of our best defensemen lately...

Maddas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffvp View Post

With all the things on this team to complain about, why dandenault? He's the least of our problems. We need to focus our energies!
Well said.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Pascal

You rarely notice Dandeneault because he does his job well, without any fireworks.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:18 PM
mvp76

Dandy gives every player he meets one on one a hard time, and he's got heart

mvp76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:34 PM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I like the way he's been playing when paired with Markov.

Habsfan 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:41 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
I'm a big fan of Dandy's, because I rarely notice him out there (which is how I notice him ), and I love it 1.7 million isn't that much when players like Jay McKee are making 3 times that much.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-07-2007, 11:45 PM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
Beauchamin is inconsistant, hes been up and down all year. However losing Hainsey was a heartbreaker though.
You have no idea what you are saying. Beauchemin is doing a good job in Anaheim paired with Niedermayer. He's their best D-man after Niedermayer and Pronger. He was out with a spleen injury for a good while, other than that, he hasnt been "up and down"

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:05 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

it seems like ever since the lockout eneded, everybody is calling everybody an overpaid defensman.

Get with the times, the UFA market is lucrative for d-men in the post lockout game. Practically, every UFA d-man that has been signed is being considered "overpaid". I think we have to adjust our standards of what overpaid really is in terms of a defensman in the new nhl.

BTW, I think Dandy has been just fine.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji View Post
I'm a big fan of Dandy's, because I rarely notice him out there (which is how I notice him ), and I love it 1.7 million isn't that much when players like Jay McKee are making 3 times that much.
Dandy is very good, especially at 1,7 mil. In playoffs, I'll love to see Bouillon and Dandy together. Solid 3rd pairing at a not so expensive price. They could end up being our most consistent defensive pair in playoffs...

DANDY: Lots of heart, speed, good attitude, experience (2 or 3 Stanley Cups + he's still hungry). Bonus part...proud to play for the Habs.

Dandy rarely makes mistakes out there (in our defensive zone).
We don't have to worry about Dandy's or Bouillon's salary for the next few years, and that's a great thing...

It's ironic 'cause...this should be a thread about how consistent DANDY has been!! not the other way around! (IMO!).

And, like someone else wrote...Dandy is fine and dandy!!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

For one thing, Dandenault is by far better than Sourey and Rivet in his zone. And i've liked how he has been supporting the forwards recently.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:05 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Dandy is very good, especially at 1,7 mil. In playoffs, I'll love to see Bouillon and Dandy together. Solid 3rd pairing at a not so expensive price. They could end up being our most consistent defensive pair in playoffs...

DANDY: Lots of heart, speed, good attitude, experience (2 or 3 Stanley Cups + he's still hungry). Bonus part...proud to play for the Habs.

Dandy rarely makes mistakes out there (in our defensive zone).
We don't have to worry about Dandy's or Bouillon's salary for the next few years, and that's a great thing...

It's ironic 'cause...this should be a thread about how consistent DANDY has been!! not the other way around! (IMO!).

And, like someone else wrote...Dandy is fine and dandy!!
i have no problem with dandenault , if anything i think he is being under-utilized as i would much rather have him on the second pairing instead of rivet . he is a much better skater in all aspects , plays the body , battles hard in the corners and most importantly makes swift decisions with the puck , something that rivet is incapable of at this point in his career and lets not forget that he can also fill in as a forward when the need arises . at 1.7 million he is a steal .

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
Guy Caballero

Seems to me as if he's one of the least of our problems right now.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:21 AM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
You have no idea what you are saying. Beauchemin is doing a good job in Anaheim paired with Niedermayer. He's their best D-man after Niedermayer and Pronger. He was out with a spleen injury for a good while, other than that, he hasnt been "up and down"
Yanni would look good paired with Niedermayer... I think Beauchemin is a bit overrated because he plays on a defense core with Pronger and Niedermayer, and on arguably the best team in the league. I am not saying he is a bad player, I just think hes a bit overrated by Habs fans because we lost him for nothing and people like to complain.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:22 AM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
Seems to me as if he's one of the least of our problems right now.
I agree, if you're picking on Dandenault, you're either seriously looking for every single problem, or you've got a grudge. Or you think getting rid of Dandy will solve all the teams' problems, which is silly.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 02:36 AM
bayrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Yanni would look good paired with Niedermayer... I think Beauchemin is a bit overrated because he plays on a defense core with Pronger and Niedermayer, and on arguably the best team in the league. I am not saying he is a bad player, I just think hes a bit overrated by Habs fans because we lost him for nothing and people like to complain.
I agree, but now that he's playing with Niedermayer, he's learned a lot. Sure, he wouldn't have been as good if he learned from Markov, Rivet or Souray playing here, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he has evolved to become a good defenseman by learning from one of the best.

If he was here in Montreal now with what he has acquired from Anaheim, he'd be 2nd to Markov. That's not saying much because Souray, is horrible in our end a lot of times, then you have Rivet, Bou etc... Beauchemin is better than all those guys. And I'd say a bit better in the defensive end than Markov too... in terms of physicality. He also has a wicked shot. I'd say just slightly weaker than Souray's.

Also, Beauchemin doesn't play with Pronger, that's O'Brien

bayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Dandenault is entirely adequate in his role as a #5-6 defenseman on a good team. After coming out of his funk last season, he has pretty much been everything we could have wanted in that role. He's fast, he's versatile, he can do a bit of everything (a bit of hitting, a bit of moving the puck, a bit of leadership) even if he has no real specialty.

For the bottom pairing, he's ideal. The only thing that's not ideal about him, as just about everybody has mentioned, is his salary. But then, what would we "ideally" rather pay for an "ideal" player in his role? $1.2M? We re-signed Begin for his own ideal niche at a tad under that. I think the experience and defense factor suggests Dandenault is legitimately worth a tad more. So if $1.2M is the true ideal number for Dandenault's lineup niche, then it's not really a disastrous step up to the $1.75M figure, given that we had to snag him off the UFA market. It seemed disastrous in the first half of last season when he was struggling. Now that he is getting close to having clocked a full season worth of "ideal" play, however, it's looking a whole lot better. Especially if one thinks he might have to expand his role somewhat next season as our defense corps is decimated by free agency.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 09:56 AM
tiredman

Well, he's an ok dman. Good speed, doesn't make a lot of mistakes, hits a little, can help offensively and he loves playing in Montreal. 2 millions is too much but he's not that bad.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
e-e

anybody remeber dandy in last playoff? he was a monster and the best player on habs uniform...after saku went down...he looked like the only one who cared and wanted ti win....the guy knows what it takes to win...

e-e is offline   Reply With Quote