HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I have sympathy for Kovalev and Samsonov

Old
02-08-2007, 06:44 AM
ToysInTheAttic

vCash: 500
Kovalev is the best player on the team. He can go on the ice in any situation and control the play. That is why Carbo relies on him so much. There are very few players in the league who can control the play and alter the flow of the game like he does.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by habhob View Post
Kovalev is the best player on the team. He can go on the ice in any situation and control the play. That is why Carbo relies on him so much. There are very few players in the league who can control the play and alter the flow of the game like he does.
And we've seen that what, twice this whole year? Kovalev gets by on reputation and that's it. Most people already realize that he is an overrated, overpaid, lazy piece of ****. The main problem is that the team relies on him too much, but he certainly doesn't seem too interested in doing anything about it. He gets paid and he is happy.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:03 AM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
And we've seen that what, twice this whole year? Kovalev gets by on reputation and that's it. Most people already realize that he is an overrated, overpaid, lazy piece of ****. The main problem is that the team relies on him too much, but he certainly doesn't seem too interested in doing anything about it. He gets paid and he is happy.
Well then, if that is the case what do you think would happen if Carbo placed him on waivers? I'll tell you what would happen, he'd be snapped up faster than Carbo could take a leak. I find it funny how a lot of Habs fans do not appreciate how well Kovy plays.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:12 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well then, if that is the case what do you think would happen if Carbo placed him on waivers? I'll tell you what would happen, he'd be snapped up faster than Carbo could take a leak. I find it funny how a lot of Habs fans do not appreciate how well Kovy plays.
I didn't say put him on waivers. I know how good he is and how good he *can* be, but are you seriously going to sit there and tell me he is having a good year? I'll be honest, if the right trade came along then I would have no problem trading him. But he is on the team right now and it's time for him to get his lazy ass in gear. This team NEEDS him to be successful. Maybe he should back check for once or actually move if a pass isn't tape to tape. That would be a start. Take off your Kovalev goggles for a second and see what's really going on.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Nick View Post
That's pretty much the dumbest comment I've read on HFboards in my whole life.

Why don't you send your CV with a motivation letter to Carbo??? You should, really.
My statement was directed towards the "I feel bad for them" line that the op used. I would never "feel bad" for a hockey player when they don't give it the effort needed. Don't forget this is a game, and they get paid millions to do it. When I see Kovalev barely skate and float around I just think of the 50k he just pocketed for that night, and then I look at how much I made last year.

Last edited by NyQuil: 02-08-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: removed flaming
Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 10:58 AM
rudethedude66

if carbo was able to make a smart move then his players would be a lil happier...i believe that carbo might be a lil bit of the problem!

rudethedude66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:00 AM
BadHabit

Quote:
Yeah, and while we're talking about that try it with Ryder and see how long he lasts!

I agree with your post 100%.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Kramy

I would have love to see Carbo trying it at least once :

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev

When is the last time we had so much potential on one line in Montreal (on paper)?

Carbo often said in the season that he would love to play Koivu and Kovalev together but he thinks putting these two on the same line leaves the team with not enough offensive punch left in the roster. I don't agree with him, maybe I'm wrong but for ONE GAME, it is worth a try :

Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev
Latendresse - Plekanec - Johnson
Higgins - Bonk - Ryder
Bégin - Lapierre - Streit

- 1 super scoring line
- 2 polyvalent lines with underrated offensive potential (from Carbo's view), both have a solid, responsible and constant veteran, both have speed, both have intensity, both have size and guys that can work hard along the boards.
- 1 energy line

All four lines have a right handed shooter and two left handed shooters.

We have enough depth to run such a line, why not try it at least once?

Last edited by Kramy: 02-08-2007 at 12:28 PM.
Kramy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:40 AM
orignl6

pat hickey wrote that samsonv didn't see the puck much because of kovalev's style.(could explain the skating excessive in circles) this board knew from day one the line wouldn't work. samsonov found immediate results paired with bonk and johnson(why in the world would you bench him then?) i do have a little sympathy. please don't put sammy and kovy on the same line ever.even with koivu as the center.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Kramy

Quote:
pat hickey wrote that samsonv didn't see the puck much because of kovalev's style.(could explain the skating excessive in circles) this board knew from day one the line wouldn't work. samsonov found immediate results paired with bonk and johnson(why in the world would you bench him then?) i do have a little sympathy. please don't put sammy and kovy on the same line ever.
Your'e talking about the line that started the camp with Ribeiro, started the season with a struggling Plekanec, followed by Kovy's cold streak and Sammy's crisis... Having Samsonov and Kovalev playing with Koivu is a whole new (and different) story. I do agree however that Samsonov had great times when he wasn't paired with Kovalev.

Quote:
even with koivu as the center.
Why?

Old
02-08-2007, 12:02 PM
orignl6

i view them both as both playmakers. can you have two onthe same line? in boston sammy always played on the second line while thornton who also is a playmaker was on line one.

orignl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:07 PM
VladNYC*

In my opinion, it's carbo and the habs' system that is the problem. How many excellent players will your team have to bury?

Last edited by Darz: 02-08-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: remove garbage
VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:20 PM
Stradale

I remember Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev had one shift together and control the puck all the shift long and that lead to a goal. I still cant believe Carbo havent tried them together yet. We have problems to score goals! Its not time to worry for the defense, i rather see the game ends 5-4 than 2-1.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Kramy

Quote:
i view them both as both playmakers. can you have two onthe same line? in boston sammy always played on the second line while thornton who also is a playmaker was on line one.
Arguing with examples leads nowhere, I could say the 2002-2003 Canucks (finished 4th in the west, 1 point from Colorado) were powerful with the Bertuzzi - Morrisson - Naslund line and not much depth in their three other lines, and there's more than one playmaker here.

Sammy can drive to the net through traffic, he can skate around in the offensive zone at high speed and change the play, Koivu plays with intensity, always feeds his linemates nicely and is good at creating scoring opportunities and Kovy is the best of the team at protecting the puck along the boards, deking opponents and slowing the play down; he can also shoot the lights out!

Let's give Kovalev playmakers and ask him to shOOOOOt!

I don't pretend Samsonov - Koivu - Kovalev is the ultimate solution, I would just like to give it a try. If not, then why?

Old
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
He would clear waivers easier than Samsonov did. Do you not know a single thing about the Cap?

A Kovalev at 4.5m is as bad as Chara at 7.5m (in fact it might even be worse).

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:24 PM
Puckhead58*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
These two guys are the most paid wingers of the team but havent yet had the chance to play with our first center. Is there something wrong that after 55 games, our 3 best and most paid player hasnt started a game together? I would understand if they are not really happy.

Latendresse, Higgins, Ryder, Johnson and even Streit had the chance to play with the captain. Will Carbo try Lappy, Murray and Downey before realizing our best chance to win is having a real first line and to reunite our best 3 players to make the top line?

Id like to see something like

Samsonov-Koivu-Kovalev
Ryder(or Tender)-Plekanec-Higgins
Latendresse-Bonk-Johnson
Lapierre-Begin-Streit

Those 3 players should definitely be on the first line together. What do we have to lose??? Higgins, Koivu and Ryder isn't working anymore, so why not try it Kovalev and Sammy. I think it would show Sammy and Kovalev that they are the top players along with Koivu and that we are expecting them to perform and lead the team. It might just be the little lift those 2 guys need to start performing. Kovalev has been steady all year, but I think he is capable of more, and Sammy is obviously needing a confidence boost....I say go for it. They will get used to playing with each other after a few games....we just have to be a little patient and let them gel together.

Puckhead58* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:42 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
In my opinion it's carbo and the habs' system that is the problem. How many excellent players will your team have to bury?
Which of us are idiots tough guy ? Samsonov used to go to the net with or without the puck. Now he's unwilling to do so. Kovalev is as talented as they come, but hasn't been able to score, often blowing chances in key situations. He's been guilty of numerous giveaways, then casually glides back afterwards.

That's a system issue ? Samsonov could have been handled better. He should be playing with players that don't need the puck as much. Still, if he doesn't go bear the net, what use is he ? I want this to change, but that's up to the player.

It seems that your definition of an idiot is someone who criticizes a player of Russian origin, or a coach who doesn't cater to them. Phony.

Last edited by Darz: 02-08-2007 at 02:18 PM. Reason: edit quote
mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

the way things are going right now, Kovalev is better off staying with Plekanec

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote