HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Justin Peters

Old
02-07-2007, 11:55 PM
Oilersrule

vCash: 500
Justin Peters

Just looking for a little more info on him. Is he a capable #1 goaltender in the NHL? What position would he make at best on the depth charts? Who is he most comparable to in the NHL right now? Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

Oilersrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 12:25 AM
Oilersrule

He is a goalie prospect for Carolina...nobody knows much about him???

Oilersrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I dunno, I watched him in juniors with the Majors a lot, haven't seen him in the pros. When he was "on" he was good. Big guy who filled the net well and could come up with some huge games. But he was really inconsistent, especially in his final year before they traded him to Plymouth. You never really knew if he'd show up and shut the door or be a sieve. He had a shaky D in front of him at times that season that didn't help things out either, mind you. But I would have said that upon his OHL graduation anyway he was vectoring more towards being a longshot than a blue-chipper. He looked better earlier in his career than he did at the end of it. Maybe a pro goalie coach can straighten that stuff out, though.

His concentration and consistency were the only real issues. I'm not sure if he really had his style sorted out or if he was in the midst of trying out some suggestions from coaches already when he was struggling... he had the body that would seem to fit a good butterfly technique like a Giguere or somebody like that, but when he had his worst games he seemed to be caught in between, maybe standing up too much. He handles the puck well, though. I think he might have scored a goal once, although I might be confusing him with somebody else on that one. Anyway, the fundamentals are all there, and if he can get his technique straightened away and his consistency where it needs to be, then I suppose he can be an NHL goalie. I don't think he'd be considered quite as highly right at the moment as he was heading into his draft, maybe, as some of that upside has gone unrealized thus far. But again, I have no real idea what he's doing so far as a pro.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:43 PM
FTowwn

in junior he was solid when he was on his game, but when he wasnt on his game, he wasnt very good. However, he does have a lot of potential. I can see him being Cam Ward's backup goalie at the very most, nothing more than that tho,

Speaking of Peters tho.....watch out for his younger brother. He is going to turn heads and should be better than Justin.

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 03:46 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Peters has been woefully inconsistant as mentioned earlier this year in Albany. At times he has looked great, at others he has looked terrible. There is a poster here by the name of "ratsgirl", that could fill you in even better.

He has potential to be an NHL goaltender, but we're going to have to see what he can do behind a better defense. Solid NHL body and good technique.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:01 PM
PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilersrule View Post
He is a goalie prospect for Carolina...nobody knows much about him???
You might want to wait more than a half-hour before posting the reply wondering why no one has responded yet. Just a thought.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:14 PM
Redwingsfan
Global Moderator
What rust??

Awards:
Send a message via MSN to Redwingsfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by filly_canadiens View Post
in junior he was solid when he was on his game, but when he wasnt on his game, he wasnt very good. However, he does have a lot of potential. I can see him being Cam Ward's backup goalie at the very most, nothing more than that tho,

Speaking of Peters tho.....watch out for his younger brother. He is going to turn heads and should be better than Justin.
is he a goalie to?? whats he's name and where does he play??

Redwingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:28 PM
ratsgirl
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I dunno, I watched him in juniors with the Majors a lot, haven't seen him in the pros. When he was "on" he was good. Big guy who filled the net well and could come up with some huge games. But he was really inconsistent, especially in his final year before they traded him to Plymouth. You never really knew if he'd show up and shut the door or be a sieve. He had a shaky D in front of him at times that season that didn't help things out either, mind you. But I would have said that upon his OHL graduation anyway he was vectoring more towards being a longshot than a blue-chipper. He looked better earlier in his career than he did at the end of it. Maybe a pro goalie coach can straighten that stuff out, though.

His concentration and consistency were the only real issues. I'm not sure if he really had his style sorted out or if he was in the midst of trying out some suggestions from coaches already when he was struggling... he had the body that would seem to fit a good butterfly technique like a Giguere or somebody like that, but when he had his worst games he seemed to be caught in between, maybe standing up too much. He handles the puck well, though. I think he might have scored a goal once, although I might be confusing him with somebody else on that one. Anyway, the fundamentals are all there, and if he can get his technique straightened away and his consistency where it needs to be, then I suppose he can be an NHL goalie. I don't think he'd be considered quite as highly right at the moment as he was heading into his draft, maybe, as some of that upside has gone unrealized thus far. But again, I have no real idea what he's doing so far as a pro.
I'd say he's doing just about the same...I think your description of him in juniors perfectly describes his pro career so far as well. He's great when he's on his game, dreadful when he's not, and has no consistency at all.

ratsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 04:53 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post
is he a goalie to?? whats he's name and where does he play??
Anthony Peters is an Oshawa Generals draft pick, he played a few games with the Gennies this year and is a 09 draft eligible player. He's been really impressive in junior A. His numbers with the gens dont tell the whole story as they Generals have a pretty weak defence and being a 15 year old goalie behind a shakey defence is well not gonna give you great numbers, but he does have a lot of potential and I see him as the gens backup next year in their mem cup run they want to be making as they want to host it

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2007, 07:16 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

Can anyone who's seen the Rats comment on who's looking better between Peters and Weiman?

Fleury14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:37 PM
BeatsPerMinute

is there a chance peters could be a starter one day?

BeatsPerMinute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:16 PM
FTowwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABein View Post
is there a chance peters could be a starter one day?
umm...maybe.. he will not be a team's number one. Like i said before, look for him to be the Cam Wards backup. I see him turning out to be like Mike Smith of the Dallas Stars- a reliable young backup goalie who can step in when needed when Turco needs a break. Except he will be doiung this for Cam Ward of course

FTowwn is offline   Reply With Quote