HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Mike Ribeiro

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2003, 08:13 PM
Masao

vCash: 500
Mike Ribeiro

Anyone a bit surprised with the way he's been doing this year so far?

He's not putting up Gretzky-like numbers, but he's leading the Canadiens in scoring and has shown us quite a few eye candy moves. He looks like a tremendous stickhandler and perhaps one of the best passers on the Habs with Koivu. He could still use some more sandpaper but who's keeping track...

Do you guys think this could be the real end for Ribeiro's AHL career and that he can start being a bonafide NHL regular from now on?

Old
12-08-2003, 03:09 AM
grapeshine

Despite the controversy of the past week, Ribeiro has had a decent start to the season and brings some much needed excitement to the Canadiens' line-up. Considering he's the Habs leading scorer I really don't see him going back to the minors any time soon. When he was up last year he impressed me with his play, so I don't think it's that big of a surprise that he's doing well so far this season. He is an excellent passer and has some sweet moves, but he really doesn't have much of a shot. I like him a lot and think that he's a strong asset for a team that lacks creativity; having said that, however, I think he'd be hard pressed to consistantly score 50-60 pts a season.

Last edited by grapeshine: 12-09-2003 at 06:29 PM.
Old
12-09-2003, 11:01 AM
beerpaul*

Not surprised at all. Mike was a huge scorer in Junior. I believe he won the scoring race one year, outpointing Lecavaliar, in the Q. It's the same old thing. He doesn't have size in his favor. If you're trying to break in and be a regular in the NHL, and you're small, there is zero room for mistakes. In this particual case, I think Mike needed some AHL time to get used to playing with physically stronger players than that of Junior. A good bridge from Junior to the NHL. He's always been able to see the ice really well and is a creative passer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masao
Anyone a bit surprised with the way he's been doing this year so far?

He's not putting up Gretzky-like numbers, but he's leading the Canadiens in scoring and has shown us quite a few eye candy moves. He looks like a tremendous stickhandler and perhaps one of the best passers on the Habs with Koivu. He could still use some more sandpaper but who's keeping track...

Do you guys think this could be the real end for Ribeiro's AHL career and that he can start being a bonafide NHL regular from now on?

Closed Thread