HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Somebody has to go ...

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2003, 04:11 AM
rebedom

vCash: 500
Somebody has to go ...

What is all this talk about Ottawa having so much depth and young talent, we have some but are lacking size and grit. We have at least five players from the current roster that we could trade to strengthen the left side; Leschyshyn, Schastlivy, Hnidy, Smolinski, Van Allan or even Vermette. We could also add almost anyone from the minors or our depth chart. The problem though is anyone willing to give us what we want for these guys? So far, the guys they want Muckler is ready to give and the guys we want to trade they don't want.

Great Scott ... What this team needs is a Scott Thorton, Scott Walker, Scott Young or any other Scott, the best choice though would be Eric Cole if you could get him out of Carolina, he's big, tough and can score very Bertuzzi like.

We also have big concerns in net if Lalime doesn't snap out of this fog, we won't be going anywhere. Cujo could be had cheaply with Detroit picking up most of his salary, but what has he ever won? Although that would give us the opportunity to package Lalime, Leschyshyn and Schastlivy for Cole.

Old
12-08-2003, 04:29 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebedom
What is all this talk about Ottawa having so much depth and young talent, we have some but are lacking size and grit. We have at least five players from the current roster that we could trade to strengthen the left side; Leschyshyn, Schastlivy, Hnidy, Smolinski, Van Allan or even Vermette.

LOL

Old
12-08-2003, 08:08 AM
trublu16

Lalime????

Why would the Canes want another goalie, when their #1 goalie is performing rather well right now, it does not make sense to . But I could be wrong.

Old
12-08-2003, 08:11 AM
Mizral

Havlat for Smyth. If you can get it. Would sure solve a lot of problems...

Old
12-08-2003, 08:42 AM
Ozy_Flame

You're not getting Eric Cole without lightening your wallet of your biggest bills. You'd have to pay dearly to get him.

And I don't think Leschychyn, Hnidy, Van Allen or even Schastlivy are going to command much in return. This topic has been beaten to death.

Old
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Malefic74

Bates Battaglia maybe?

Washington is like a jenga tower that is leaning right now. The right deal could well start a whole pile of them.

Old
12-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Murphy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malefic74
Bates Battaglia maybe?

Washington is like a jenga tower that is leaning right now. The right deal could well start a whole pile of them.
Nah, I dont think Ottawa wants him but i would do Havlat for Cole

Old
12-08-2003, 03:25 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Havlat for Smyth. If you can get it. Would sure solve a lot of problems...
Would solve Ottawa's problems, maybe, but Smyth can actually take faceoffs and the Oilers need him for the grit anyways.

Old
12-08-2003, 09:52 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers112
Would solve Ottawa's problems, maybe, but Smyth can actually take faceoffs and the Oilers need him for the grit anyways.
If Ott offered havlat Edm would look long and hard at it. Sure smyth is blood and gut and all, but havlat is silk and satin and a sure fire 80 point player in the future. If for no other reason than to trade havlat for something lese the oil would probably do it.

Old
12-08-2003, 10:45 PM
c-carp

Jamal Mayers for Schastlivy?

Old
12-09-2003, 02:26 AM
RoadWarrior

Smolinski and Vermette might generate a sniff. Ottawa doesn't need to get bigger because they're one of the biggest teams in the league even without Chara. The problem in Ottawa is too many EUROS. The reason the leafs are doing better this year is because they got an injection of real Canadian spirit and toughness from Nolan, Nieuwendyk, Stajan, Marchment and Druken. Robert Svehla was a good player but he faded in the clutch because he just didn't care enough. Give some credit to Pat Quinn for recognizing the problem and aquiring guys like Tucker, Roberts, Nolan and now Nieuwendyk to remedy the situation left over from the Mike Smith era and providing leadership stimulus for Sundin. I know it's been beaten to death but very few euro stars grow up dreaming of a Stanley Cup but instead dreaming of an NHL salary. There are exceptions with guys like Danny Markov but on average the North American kids will outscore their euro opponents in critical games like Game 7 of the series with New Jersey where Jeff Friesen stepped up big and Karel Rachunek flopped. With the uncertainty of the next season and the new CBA rules I'm sure many european players are looking homeward and not focusing on the current games. In Toronto with Sundin now properly insulated the leafs are looking like a championship team. Ottawa needs to dump Bonk and Hossa for more leadership.

Old
12-09-2003, 03:09 AM
eazye

If I were to trade with Edmonton, I would go after Georges Laraque. I think Ottawa needs a Big, Physical presence that will keep the Tie Domi's and Keith Primeau's from running around. Nothing against Chris Neil but he isn't the most intimidating presence. I think Laraque would make room for players like Hossa and Havlat with him being on the bench. What would Kevin Lowe want for Laraque. I'd be willing to trade Rachunek for Laraque and prospect/and or draft pick. I just think teams are taking advantage of Ottawa's lack of a true physical presence. I don't think too many players would run the goalie if they knew Laraque was coming out next shift to exact some revenge.

Old
12-09-2003, 04:43 AM
RoadWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazye
If I were to trade with Edmonton, I would go after Georges Laraque. I think Ottawa needs a Big, Physical presence that will keep the Tie Domi's and Keith Primeau's from running around. Nothing against Chris Neil but he isn't the most intimidating presence. I think Laraque would make room for players like Hossa and Havlat with him being on the bench. What would Kevin Lowe want for Laraque. I'd be willing to trade Rachunek for Laraque and prospect/and or draft pick. I just think teams are taking advantage of Ottawa's lack of a true physical presence. I don't think too many players would run the goalie if they knew Laraque was coming out next shift to exact some revenge.
I don't think it matters how many Laraque type players you have in Ottawa. With the instigator rule firmly in place the intimidation factor for the bruisers has been lost to some extent. What Ottawa needs is some toughness in the core of the team. The guys who work the special teams and can play in the top six.

Closed Thread