HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homosexuality in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2007, 12:07 AM
hfboardsuser

vCash: 500
Homosexuality in the NHL

A VERY good discussion on Dan Tencer's Inside Sports about the topic.

With John Amaechi's disclosure of his sexual orientation making him the first NBA player to do so, the topic has gained newfound attention. In total, there are six openly gay players in the NBA, MLB and NFL. There are zero in hockey.

The math shows the odds of a homosexual NHL player ever having played are pretty good. With 700 individuals in the league every year, there has to have been at least one.

Some of the viewpoints bandied about by Tencer and callers:

-Homosexuality doesn't matter and should be discussed openly.
-Being gay doesn't matter, and is a private matter with no place in the game.
-Homosexuality is immoral/a disease/unnatural.
-Having a gay athlete would be provide a role model for others.
-A gay athlete would make other athletes uncomfortable, whether by making a pass or silently being aroused by his teammates.

A couple interesting andecdotes:

-A new book with quotes by an anonymous gay NHL player is quite revealing. 'Aaron' says that the accepted code when meeting fellow NHLers in gay clubs is to disavow their homosexuality.

-An unnamed NHL GM told Adam Proteau of THN that it'd be 'impossible' for an NHLer to come out of the closet. This GM went on to say that it'd be easier for a player to admit to being a 'member of Al Quada' than to admit to being gay.

Now, I'm not sure just where I expect this thread to go, but for now I'm fine with the intent of this thread being only to make forum members aware of what was a great segment for listening in the archive, and I'm eager to hear what people thought of it.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:13 AM
hfboardsuser

I forgot to mention an excellent point raised by a caller- one of the reasons we don't see a great deal of openly homosexual athletes is age. Players retire or are expected to retire by age 40. Coincidentally, coming to terms with homosexuality may not occur until that age and thus that's why we don't see any of them come out during their careers.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:16 AM
Lowetide

Okay, here's the deal: 6 posts so far, 4 deleted. If you wish to make some respectful comments on the topic at hand please go ahead. If you want to make vicious comments on players/posters/etc please move along.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Shootmaster_44

I frankly could careless what sexual orientation a player has. If he is straight, bi, gay or into trees that his preference and it doesn't make one bit of difference what kind of player they are on the ice.

I don't see the need for a player to come out either. If he wants to keep his private life private, that's his business. If he wants to come out and say he's gay that's fine too. The judgement of a man or woman comes from who they are as a person, not who they sleep with.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
TexasOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I forgot to mention an excellent point raised by a caller- one of the reasons we don't see a great deal of openly homosexual athletes is age. Players retire or are expected to retire by age 40. Coincidentally, coming to terms with homosexuality may not occur until that age and thus that's why we don't see any of them come out during their careers.
This might explain previous eras, but in the modern age it seems a little far-fetched; most homosexuals I know were out by their 20s at the latest. I suppose being in a hockey culture might simulate the more conservative days of yesteryear, but plenty of these kids are coming through the college ranks (and colleges rank pretty high in terms of acceptability of homosexuality).

Old
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
goggog

I don't think it really matters. A person is a human being and they should be treated with as much respect as any other person.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:24 AM
melubsdonna

I bet there are a lot of homosexual players in all the four major leagues. like 5-8% of each league are homosexuals. This is just a personal opinion, I don't have any statistics to back it up or anything. But i've taken a few sociology classes and they ALL hint at the fact there are many many more homosexuals than what is known today.

Anyways, I definitely agree it would be very very hard to admit to homosexuality in the NHL. Whether it is a disease is very debatable. But the more that come out and admit to it the more society has to accept it. It's only a disease because society says it's "wrong". But what if 25% of the population are gays? Is it really a disease or is it just society labeling those who are different?

Old
02-09-2007, 12:29 AM
goggog

Quote:
Originally Posted by melubsdonna View Post
I bet there are a lot of homosexual players in all the four major leagues. like 5-8% of each league are homosexuals. This is just a personal opinion, I don't have any statistics to back it up or anything. But i've taken a few sociology classes and they ALL hint at the fact there are many many more homosexuals than what is known today.

Anyways, I definitely agree it would be very very hard to admit to homosexuality in the NHL. Whether it is a disease is very debatable. But the more that come out and admit to it the more society has to accept it. It's only a disease because society says it's "wrong". But what if 25% of the population are gays? Is it really a disease or is it just society labeling those who are different?
How is it a disease if it isn't bad.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:32 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasOiler View Post
This might explain previous eras, but in the modern age it seems a little far-fetched; most homosexuals I know were out by their 20s at the latest. I suppose being in a hockey culture might simulate the more conservative days of yesteryear, but plenty of these kids are coming through the college ranks (and colleges rank pretty high in terms of acceptability of homosexuality).
That's another excellent thought, but I have to disagree on the college angle. How much could on-campus homosexuality support groups and culture be affecting them? That's not to say it doesn't; I just have to wonder how much they're thinking about pursuing such resources or participating in such culture when they're busy fitting in on their respective teams and the time commitments that exist there.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:33 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

I can't imagine a more difficult situation if one was gay than to be a professional athlete in one of the traditional macho-type sports. I can only imagine the fear of being found out and likely alienated and risk of losing your livelihood.

It would take great courage to pursue your life's ambition as an athlete while having to live your personal life in secret and the shadows. Time to let go of some of the old school caveman attitudes and stigmas.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:35 AM
melubsdonna

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggog View Post
How is it a disease if it isn't bad.
well, the viewpoints by callers and tencer said it was a disease. It is commonly viewed as a disease because it's "wrong" and "unhealthy" and "unnatural" and needs to be "fixed".

I disagree with that. I think if God (if he even exists) made gays, then gays are here to help with something.... perhaps they have advantages with something.... control population growth? like who knows....

Old
02-09-2007, 12:37 AM
hfboardsuser

I don't think that was Tencer's viewpoint, was it? Or are you mentioning how he was highlighting the issue that some people see it as a disease, and not necessarily himself?

Old
02-09-2007, 12:38 AM
Kingswin

good topic.. I think hockey players would be more accepting of homosexuality because hockey players as a whole are more intelligent.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:40 AM
RiversQ

Quote:
well, the viewpoints by callers and tencer said it was a disease. It is commonly viewed as a disease because it's "wrong" and "unhealthy" and "unnatural" and needs to be "fixed".
Man, I miss Alberta. Every once in awhile they make Georgia look downright sophisticated. That's not easy to do and that right there is the Alberta Advantage. Go the extra mile.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:41 AM
dhasek3910

I read an article about a gay college lacrosse goalie who came out of the closet while he played, and it was very well received by his team mates. It actually shows a clip of him making a save, and then outsprinting everyone from his crease all the way to the other end of the rink and scoring. I thought it was a great read.

As for coming out in the NHL, I think it's still too much of a "conservative" sport, and there is still so much stigma surrounding it that the player would be too scared of the ramifications by some of the fans. I'm sure the players would have no problems with it.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:42 AM
melubsdonna

Quote:
I don't think that was Tencer's viewpoint, was it? Or are you mentioning how he was highlighting the issue that some people see it as a disease, and not necessarily himself?
Sorry it was the societal viewpoints about homosexuality they talked about. Im not sure if Tencer has this view as I did not tune in to it, just going by the original poster.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
okgooil

Quote:

It is just my judgement, but I would be willing to bet that it is well below the average. Some people might not like it, but in reality, as boys tend to be drawn toward certain things, and girls toward other things. For whatever reason I dont' see gay men being drawn to sports. Every one knows the stereotypes, and well I fully admit they are not at all complety true. there is some truth the them. For example that most men in the Fashion industry are gay ect. That being said there are going to be some, and most arn't going to admit it. I don't see there being that many though.

Any way, at the end of the day, I could care less. I think it is each person's choice to come out or not. That is just somthing they have to take on themselves. I really doubt that it would even be that tough for them, I think it is a stereotype that all these athletes are homophobic. There would probably be some element of the same army thinking, I mean they do change together, so it would be some what uncomfortable. I don't know how to resolve that ect. Any way, no offence to any one but isn't this almost getting to politically correrct. I mean I agree with every ones opinion as I am not at all anti gay, but some times, you can just re write the same statement. yes yes, they are humans ect. we have all heard this, is it really anything new?

Old
02-09-2007, 12:45 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Sorry it was the societal viewpoints about homosexuality they talked about. Im not sure if Tencer has this view as I did not tune in to it, just going by the original poster.
I can tell you that his impression definitely wasn't that. I just don't want anyone to think that's what he was talking about.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:47 AM
Matts

I think it's super funny..

that this topic was raised on an Oilers fanboard

Old
02-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversQ View Post
Man, I miss Alberta. Every once in awhile they make Georgia look downright sophisticated. That's not easy to do and that right there is the Alberta Advantage. Go the extra mile.
Riv, this is your best post ever.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:51 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
that this topic was raised on an Oilers fanboard

Mind dropping me a PM to explain this tidbit Dennis?

As a hockey player right now (obviously not in the NHL...) I can completely understand why it'd be suicide for a player to come out of the closet. Not only are gay jokes everywhere in the locker room, but we're dealing with a lot of young men in showers together.. the insecurities of a gay guy being in there would just not go over well.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who's ever been in the situation, because it truly isn't fair for them, and I wish things wouldn't be that hard for them.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:53 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 351
homosexuality is one of the "bottom" subjects

Only a few religions dont condem it and certain religions go out of their way to make homesexual feal like they are less of a human being then other who are "good and pure" as long as they are a part of that religion.

It is safe to say there have been either homosexuals in the nhl or bi-sexuals in the nhl---odds are against that there has never been one.

Say of player X comes out of the closet and say he is one of the bottom 4 players on the team--he would be dumped within a few weeks, Quietly. If a player was a top player on that team--the PR fire fight would be so intense--that they player would more then likely quit.

I have come in contact with a few current and former NHLERS and I have met with other pro-athletes. In the big 4 NA sports--any player who comes out of the closet would not be made to feal like he belongs.

Over here in Europe there are a few players that are more or less known to be homosexuals and because the life style is different over and the acceptance of their lifestyle is not as picked upon over here.

I remember a few years ago a book came out and had an interview with a Canadian born hockey player who played a few season in the NHL but went to europe becuase as was stated in the book he did not have to be "so afraid" of what his team mates might do to him for being gay.

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
Old
02-09-2007, 01:03 AM
JonQuixote

Quote:

With John Amaechi's disclosure of his sexual orientation making him the first NBA player to do so, the topic has gained newfound attention. In total, there are six openly gay players in the NBA, MLB and NFL. There are zero in hockey.
Who are the openly gay players in the NBA, MLB, and NFL?
I know there have been a few who came out after retirement.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:05 AM
Lee Ovaltine

Perhaps there are more gays in sports than we think. How many do you think joined just so they could shower with guys and hug them after a goal, maybe a pat on the bum?

Old
02-09-2007, 01:06 AM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Ovaltine View Post
Perhaps there are more gays in sports than we think. How many do you think joined just so they could shower with guys and hug them after a goal, maybe a pat on the bum?
None.

Closed Thread