HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homosexuality in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
Behind Enemy Lines

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Who are the openly gay players in the NBA, MLB, and NFL?
I know there have been a few who came out after retirement.
Good story on Salon.com about John Amaechi coming out:
http://www.salon.com/sports/col/kauf...day/index.html

Within the feature, there is a link to this list of gay athletes:
http://www.outsports.com/outathletes/

Old
02-09-2007, 01:10 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Who are the openly gay players in the NBA, MLB, and NFL?
I know there have been a few who came out after retirement.
That's what I meant, my apologies. "In the (major leagues)" as meaning people who've played there and come out.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:11 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

vCash: 730
Man it always amazes me the liberal left always finds a way to assert their bull#$%$.
Anyhou I will go with a great comment by Sam Mitchell the coach of the Raptors. He says respect me as a human being, got that folks not black white jewish gay transgender, a frickin human being, a member of the global community. How sad we must put some minorities on a pedestal to illustrate how small we all are.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:12 AM
Hemsky is a gangsta
Hemsky is a gangsta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post
that this topic was raised on an Oilers fanboard
x9

also, is the book referenced in the original post all about gay athletes? or is that just thrown in there (the part about the quotes from a gay NHL player)

Old
02-09-2007, 01:16 AM
hockeyaddict101

Please do not use this discussion as an opportunity to "out" players even in jest.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:17 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupul's Pupils View Post
x9

also, is the book referenced in the original post all about gay athletes? or is that just thrown in there (the part about the quotes from a gay NHL player)
The caller didn't say as much, but that'd be a safe assumption, I think. If the caller ever e-mails Dan and tells him, he may be able to tell us in turn.

I have a feeling it's the same book another poster referenced.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:33 AM
Vector

There are most deffinately homosexual players in the NHL but it will not be a long time until there is an openly gay player. I'm having a difficult time phrasing what I want to say but I'll give it a shot.

Formers players/coaches/media/etc still have a large influence over the game. The older the generation the less tolerant of homosexuality. The younger generations are, seemingly, becoming more acceptant of people who are openly gay. Until the "old guard" has passed I don't see the NHL supporting homosexual people.

There are very few openly gay people in highschool and I look at the NHL as a different yet similar situation. Peer Pressure and social norms are still enforced. The NHL is filled with young men who don't even know themselves yet. It is not until they grow older and begin to understand themselves that they begin to be comfortable with their sexual orientation (be it hetero or homosexual).

Old
02-09-2007, 01:42 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector View Post
There are most deffinately homosexual players in the NHL but it will not be a long time until there is an openly gay player. I'm having a difficult time phrasing what I want to say but I'll give it a shot.

Formers players/coaches/media/etc still have a large influence over the game. The older the generation the less tolerant of homosexuality. The younger generations are, seemingly, becoming more acceptant of people who are openly gay. Until the "old guard" has passed I don't see the NHL supporting homosexual people.

There are very few openly gay people in highschool and I look at the NHL as a different yet similar situation. Peer Pressure and social norms are still enforced. The NHL is filled with young men who don't even know themselves yet. It is not until they grow older and begin to understand themselves that they begin to be comfortable with their sexual orientation (be it hetero or homosexual).
This is true but how are we better by, promoting no outright allowing people to say continually we are bigots, do I dare say it people with an agenda. I will not go on because I could be a bigot myself.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:45 AM
Bank Shot

Wasn't Mike Danton openly gay, or was it the newspapers that outed him?

I can understand why gay hockey players don't want to come out given the importance of looker room chemistry and culture to the sport which might be disrupted somewhat by players uncomfortable with it.

Ironically, having an openly gay teammate would probably cause a steep decline in homoerotic behaviour in the lockerroom.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:47 AM
smytty's mullet

why is a former basketball player coming out of the closet such a big story? i don't care whether a guy is straight, gay or whatever, i just don't feel the need to know about it. when things happen in the world of sports and we as fans want an explanation (ie. comrie, pronger etc.), rumors fly and the media hides behind the "what happens off the ice is none of our business" approach. if that's the approach they take with straight players, why do some people feel the need to have gay players come out so we can celebrate their lifestyle away from the game.

the bottom line is, if they can play the game, who cares what their sexual orientation is. i just wish we wouldn't get pounded over the head with it every time an athlete comes out.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Colbert

You're too old for that Crap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmminvisiblecola View Post
Man it always amazes me the liberal left always finds a way to assert their bull#$%$.
A.
Dude this is Canada. Let the U.S. have that liberal vs conservative, Blue state vs Red State B.S. thing they have going on.

Old
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post
why is a former basketball player coming out of the closet such a big story? i don't care whether a guy is straight, gay or whatever, i just don't feel the need to know about it. when things happen in the world of sports and we as fans want an explanation (ie. comrie, pronger etc.), rumors fly and the media hides behind the "what happens off the ice is none of our business" approach. if that's the approach they take with straight players, why do some people feel the need to have gay players come out so we can celebrate their lifestyle away from the game.

the bottom line is, if they can play the game, who cares what their sexual orientation is. i just wish we wouldn't get pounded over the head with it every time an athlete comes out.
The problem is that many people do not feel this way. It's all about comfort and many straight people are not comfortable around homosexual people. I'd play with a team full of gay guys any day. I don't care but I know some that do and would probably quit the team. To some it's religious, to some it's moral, to some it's misconception, to others it's their own insecurities...I could go on. Can anyone honestly see Don Cherry tolerating a gay hockey player?

Old
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty's mullet View Post

bang on respect the human being

Old
02-09-2007, 01:53 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbert View Post
Dude this is Canada. Let the U.S. have that liberal vs conservative, Blue state vs Red State B.S. thing they have going on.
That is hilarious coming from a guy with the name Colbert.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:54 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Wasn't Mike Danton openly gay, or was it the newspapers that outed him?

I can understand why gay hockey players don't want to come out given the importance of looker room chemistry and culture to the sport which might be disrupted somewhat by players uncomfortable with it.

Ironically, having an openly gay teammate would probably cause a steep decline in homoerotic behaviour in the lockerroom.
I think it was the opposite. I am just going by memory so I could be wrong. I believe that one of the motivations for the attempted hiring of an assassin was that Frost (Danton's agent) was going to go public with Danton's homosexuality.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Colbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
I remember reading Kevin Lowe's book Champions and I think he mentioned an intiation in his first year where the veterans shaved all of his hair off. And I'm not talking about off his head.

Old
02-09-2007, 01:57 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Give your head a shake, in this forum many opinions are from people from different countries, remember that. I STRESS CANADA IS NOT THE UN HEHEE

Old
02-09-2007, 01:58 AM
Victory Ali*

I simply do not understand why the topic of homosexuality is such a big deal in society and why people and especially celebrities need to be outed and labeled on what side of the fence their on? I mean does it change anything? I think the only reason celebrities and athletes come out of the closet is to raise their profile and get more attention. You see mediocre comedians like Ellen and Rosie come out of the closet and suddenly they're doing American Express commercials and have their own talk shows. Now this basketball player I've never heard of is being showered with attention and praise when all he said is "I prefer dudes". Who really gives a damn?

To go further on the topic of homosexuality, it was listed a mental illness in the book psychology is founded on (which I can't think of now for the life of me... psych class was a long time ago) until the 1970s when the gay rights movement got it removed. Now it's being viewed in some scientific circles that perhaps homosexuality could be used as a defense against over population and there's a lot of research being done into the cause of homosexuality (I think the scientific community now believes it relates to a gene in the DNA... I think) I personally feel insulted whenever the topic of homosexuality comes up. I go to school with and am planning to enter a field that has many different types of people including many gays. People are just people, some are cool, most are ****ed. However, I get extremely annoyed when people expect extra praise, credit, or attention just because they're gay. One of my best friends in the world is a lesbian... if you want an interesting experience, go drinking with five or six lesbians and get completely drunk with them in the downtown of your local city.

Also there was a thread on this very topic with very good discussion a few months ago in the NHL forum that started from a article from a gay newspaper or website (I can't remember) that apparently had a interview with a gay NHL player who wished to remain anonyomus and he talked about his life in the NHL and also mentioned that he's seen other players in gay clubs and the etiqutte that goes with that. It could be complete and utter ******** but it was a good read and good discussion.

Last edited by Victory Ali*: 02-09-2007 at 02:13 AM.
Old
02-09-2007, 02:00 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

OH YEAH, I just listened to WE DIDNT START THE FIRE.

Old
02-09-2007, 02:00 AM
Colbert

Quote:
That is hilarious coming from a guy with the name Colbert.

Well it's funny when the Americans do it

Old
02-09-2007, 02:01 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
I think it was the opposite. I am just going by memory so I could be wrong. I believe that one of the motivations for the attempted hiring of an assassin was that Frost (Danton's agent) was going to go public with Danton's homosexuality.
Ahh you're probably right. I've just heard snippets of that saga, and only have heard a couple of facts.

Old
02-09-2007, 02:03 AM
Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Ali View Post
I simply do not understand why the topic of homosexuality is such a big deal in society and why people and especially celebrities need to be outed and labeled on what side of the fence their on? I mean does it change anything? I think the only reason celebrities and athletes come out of the closet is to raise their profile and get more attention. You see mediocre comedians like Ellen and Rosie come out of the closet and suddenly they're doing American Express commercials and have their own talk shows. Now this basketball player I've never heard of is being showered with attention and praise when all he said is "I perfer dudes". Who really gives a damn?
As I stated earlier it really comes down to religious and moral views as well as what each person is comfortable with. If someone is comfortable with their own sexuality then they should be fine being around someone who is different. It's the same as the colour barrier in baseball. Really why would anyone give a damn but a lot of people did. Eventually society will, hopefully, come to accept homosexuality and there will be something new for people to get up in arms about.

Homosexuality in sports is a microcosm for homosexuality in Western society.

Old
02-09-2007, 02:05 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Ali View Post
I simply do not understand why the topic of homosexuality is such a big deal in society and why people and especially celebrities need to be outed and labeled on what side of the fence their on? I mean does it change anything? I think the only reason celebrities and athletes come out of the closet is to raise their profile and get more attention. You see mediocre comedians like Ellen and Rosie come out of the closet and suddenly they're doing American Express commercials and have their own talk shows. Now this basketball player I've never heard of is being showered with attention and praise when all he said is "I perfer dudes". Who really gives a damn?
The problem is that it IS still news, and by bringing this news to the public it will make it easier for others to come out of the closet, and the effect will multiply until the gays are completely socially acceptable and people can casually state that such and such NHLer is getting married to a man next summer.

Once it is no longer news, that will be a sign that homosexuality has finally shed it's stigma.

Old
02-09-2007, 02:09 AM
Vector

Quote:
Well it's funny when the Americans do it
I was actually trying to point out the it goes against the grain of what Stephen Colbert would say.

He would say: "This is the United States of America and in the United States of America we have the left and the right, the blues and the reds. It keeps it simple so we have only the truth. The Canadians have more than red and blue, they have a whole color scheme. And do you know how they choose which color to vote for? Facts. Plus, they have bears."

I chose not to use a smiley earlier since I don't particularly like the selection.

Old
02-09-2007, 02:10 AM
callighenfan
H.O.N.P.E.D.

Quote:
Can anyone honestly see Don Cherry tolerating a gay hockey player?
Must... resist... urge... to... comment... on... suits...

Closed Thread