HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Homosexuality in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
02-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
The bottom line is this: There is one standard of the recommended way to live our lives.

Now, anyone can believe anything they want but, ultimately there is only one truth.

You can think that Col. Mustard did it in the library with a candle stick while someone else could think it was Mrs. Plum in the dining room with a gun. There is still only one truth. Somebody is wrong.

So, you can choose to believe the Bible, the Koran, or just your own "common" sense but, not everbody is correct. There is only one truth but you are free to believe what you want.

So, believe whatever you want on this topic, for your sake, I hope you are right. The book I read tells me a different story than many of the posters in this thread. I have done plenty of research and I am convinced that my book is the one truth. I doubt many in this thread have done any research to find the truth.

So, based on my beliefs, homosexuality is a disfunction like schizoprenia, depression or any other mental malady. Does it mean that I hate homosexuals, schizophrenics and the depressed? Heck no! It means that, to function the way that you were intended, you should probably get help. If you would rather just live with the disfunction, so be it.

People have the right to choose any path they desire in life. That is fine. I think of my book as the "owner's manual". You don't have to follow it word for word but, it is good advice for optimal performance.
Truly spoken like an ethno-egocentric. I think your book is outdated and misleading. This is why I choose not to follow one book - there is no one-size-fits all. I am not going to change your opinion, you can't change mine. The difference between you and I is that I can respect and understand other peoples opinions/beliefs/values/wishes, you do not have that capability. This is my problem with organized religion, for the most part. There is no one-size-fits-all, yet many of those who follow strongly a religion seem to think that it is their way or the hi-way and everyone else is wrong. Everyone else isn't wrong, it would be juvenile to make that assumption. There is no proof that one religion is right or wrong - although this is a discussion about sexuality, it has turned into a religious debate as well.

You obviously have a problem with these individuals if you think they need to get help. Trying to convince you otherwise is like kicking a dead horse. I think that people who think the way you do regarding this topic need help - and you probably think the same of me. It never ceases to amaze me the beliefs some people have, specifically people in religious groups. It is so closeminded and prehistoric. But, different strokes for different folks.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
offensive and insulting. not based on any solid fact. culture of ignorance. bigotry and intolerance
Now, when I read your post, I see the above words. Why is it, when someone does not agree with your view on the subject, they are labeled with those words? That is probably the most disturbing thing about your position, you lash out at people that don't agree 100% with you. I would suggest you really consider what those words mean before you use them in the future. My posts have been nothing of the sort. They differ from your opinion but they are certainly are not what you are describing.

Let's choose to drop the issue at this point. I am trying to keep it very civil, you are taking it in a direction I don't want to go.

BTW I chose not to respond to certain posts because a) there are too many and I don't want to take the time and b) many of those questions were just "rabbit holes" to go down and skirt the real issue. I felt responses were unnecessary.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
Truly spoken like an ethno-egocentric. I think your book is outdated and misleading. This is why I choose not to follow one book - there is no one-size-fits all. I am not going to change your opinion, you can't change mine. The difference between you and I is that I can respect and understand other peoples opinions/beliefs/values/wishes, you do not have that capability. This is my problem with organized religion, for the most part. There is no one-size-fits-all, yet many of those who follow strongly a religion seem to think that it is their way or the hi-way and everyone else is wrong. Everyone else isn't wrong, it would be juvenile to make that assumption. There is no proof that one religion is right or wrong - although this is a discussion about sexuality, it has turned into a religious debate as well.

You obviously have a problem with these individuals if you think they need to get help. Trying to convince you otherwise is like kicking a dead horse. I think that people who think the way you do regarding this topic need help - and you probably think the same of me. It never ceases to amaze me the beliefs some people have, specifically people in religious groups. It is so closeminded and prehistoric. But, different strokes for different folks.
Do you see the irony of your post?

Old
02-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Now, when I read your post, I see the above words. Why is it, when someone does not agree with your view on the subject, they are labeled with those words? That is probably the most disturbing thing about your position, you lash out at people that don't agree 100% with you. I would suggest you really consider what those words mean before you use them in the future. My posts have been nothing of the sort. They differ from your opinion but they are certainly are not what you are describing.

Let's choose to drop the issue at this point. I am trying to keep it very civil, you are taking it in a direction I don't want to go.

BTW I chose not to respond to certain posts because a) there are too many and I don't want to take the time and b) many of those questions were just "rabbit holes" to go down and skirt the real issue. I felt responses were unnecessary.
big·ot·ry /ˈbɪgətri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[big-uh-tree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

That is exactly what you are doing. The words are not out of line or misleading. The other poster is bringing up points with value and add to the debate. You are completely intolerant to homosexuality and obviously stick your nose up at the idea by insisting these people need help to fix their mental disorder. It is bigotry - it is not the other poster who is intolerant of your opinion it is the other way around.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:40 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Do you see the irony of your post?
No - if I was homosexual and made that comment perhaps. I am not, and I can see both sides of the coin with an open mind. I can take facts from either side and make an informed opinion. You have not. I don't think my thinking is better or more right than anyone elses. You have made the statement along the lines that "you have done the research and your book is the most factual". I am stating that you are speaking in a very egocentric way, basically belittling any other person beliefs because they do not follow your book. No irony at all.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Mr Sakich

there seems to be a misunderstanding that many have with the religious POV on homosexuality. The Bible clearly states it is a sin. However, I (a hetrosexual) am not able to go an hour without committing a sin against man or God. When I call homosexuality a sin, it is from the mouth of a sinner.

Homosexuality is a sin but it isn't the big sin. A homosexual who has given his life to the Lord will be in heaven. A hetrosexual who tries to lives a perfect life apart from God will not.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:42 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
I respectfully request that a mod locks this thread. Obviously the original topic will not be discussed any more and it has become a religious debate, which I'm sure has no place on this forum.

02-10-2007, 01:43 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher View Post
big·ot·ry /ˈbɪgətri/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[big-uh-tree] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun, plural -ries. 1. stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, or opinion that differs from one's own.

That is exactly what you are doing. The words are not out of line or misleading. The other poster is bringing up points with value and add to the debate. You are completely intolerant to homosexuality and obviously stick your nose up at the idea by insisting these people need help to fix their mental disorder. It is bigotry - it is not the other poster who is intolerant of your opinion it is the other way around.
LOL.

"You can have any opinion you want on the subject - as long as it is completely in line with my opinion."

You have a big heart.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:45 PM
PanniniClaus

Quote:
The bottom line is this: There is one standard of the recommended way to live our lives.

Now, anyone can believe anything they want but, ultimately there is only one truth.

You can think that Col. Mustard did it in the library with a candle stick while someone else could think it was Mrs. Plum in the dining room with a gun. There is still only one truth. Somebody is wrong.

So, you can choose to believe the Bible, the Koran, or just your own "common" sense but, not everbody is correct. There is only one truth but you are free to believe what you want.

So, believe whatever you want on this topic, for your sake, I hope you are right. The book I read tells me a different story than many of the posters in this thread. I have done plenty of research and I am convinced that my book is the one truth. I doubt many in this thread have done any research to find the truth.

So, based on my beliefs, homosexuality is a disfunction like schizoprenia, depression or any other mental malady. Does it mean that I hate homosexuals, schizophrenics and the depressed? Heck no! It means that, to function the way that you were intended, you should probably get help. If you would rather just live with the disfunction, so be it.

People have the right to choose any path they desire in life. That is fine. I think of my book as the "owner's manual". You don't have to follow it word for word but, it is good advice for optimal performance.
Wow. Just wow. If HF ever has a get together I really hope I do not run in to you. You have an owners manual for a horse and buggy , humans have evolved and now drive sophisticated machinery for which there the old school owners manual does not apply.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:45 PM
Lowetide

This thread appears to have run its course. We'll leave it open for a few minutes to see if we can get back on track and then kill it otherwise.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:46 PM
Ogopogo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
there seems to be a misunderstanding that many have with the religious POV on homosexuality. The Bible clearly states it is a sin. However, I (a hetrosexual) am not able to go an hour without committing a sin against man or God. When I call homosexuality a sin, it is from the mouth of a sinner.

Homosexuality is a sin but it isn't the big sin. A homosexual who has given his life to the Lord will be in heaven. A hetrosexual who tries to lives a perfect life apart from God will not.
Well said.

Now duck!

Old
02-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 50
Killing oneself with donairs is a sin I guess, so call homosexuality a sin if you want too, but I can think of 99999 other things that offend me more than someone being true to their sexual preference.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:51 PM
Ti-girl

Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet228 View Post
I respectfully request that a mod locks this thread. Obviously the original topic will not be discussed any more and it has become a religious debate, which I'm sure has no place on this forum.
Bingo, but that being said I wish I was home so I could pull out my huge debate I did in the 12th grade about the Bible and homosexualitly.

Man, that speech ruled.

02-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Walsher

Quote:
Well said.

Now duck!
But I think everyone elses point is that those who are not religeous do not really put credence in what the book says - or at least do not agree with arguments based on a religion they do not follow. I guess I can agree to disagree - you believe in the book, I believe the book is flawed and outdated.

Old
02-10-2007, 01:52 PM
Lowetide

And we're done.

Closed Thread