HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who Are The Flyers Rivals?

Old
02-09-2007, 12:22 AM
mucker*

vCash: 500
Who Are The Flyers Rivals?

Do you Flyer fans consider the Pens to be a big rival?
I'm a Pens fan and I always felt this was a major rivalary, but I wanted to know if on the Flyers side you felt this way.

I would expect or say the Flyers rivals are, in order
1) Rangers
2) Devils
3) Pens

Then a dropoff to
4) BUF/TOR

Is this accurate or has the Pens rivalary not a big deal mutually?
I get mixed feelings that Flyer fans hate the Rangers and Devils but are much less pasisoante with the Pens which I don't get because Pens fans hate the Flyers, they are interstate rivals, and unlike in the instance of the Caps, Pens fans actually exist and support hockey.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mucker View Post
Do you Flyer fans consider the Pens to be a big rival?
I'm a Pens fan and I always felt this was a major rivalary, but I wanted to know if on the Flyers side you felt this way.

I would expect or say the Flyers rivals are, in order
1) Rangers
2) Devils
3) Pens

Then a dropoff to
4) BUF/TOR

I get mixed feelings that Flyer fans hate the Rangers and Devils but are much less pasisoante with the Pens which I don't get because Pens fans hate the Flyers, they are interstate rivals, and unlike in the instance of the Caps, Pens fans actually exist and support hockey.
I'd say your rankings are pretty accurate. Some might rank the Devils ahead of the Rangers.

For me it's definitely different because I live nowhere near the city of Philadelphia so I have to deal with difference outside influences. I live right between Leaf Region and Sabre Country, so I actually hate them more (I guess that constitutes a rival) than any of the divisional teams.

To me, the whole idea of playing your divisional foes 8 times a piece has killed the rivalry. There's just too much of one team. It's boring.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Amateur Hour

Let us know how your thesis turns out.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:07 AM
jb**

themselves

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Kaktus*

Starting this year for next 10 years.
1. Pittsburgh
2. Devils
3. Rangers
4. NYI

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:53 AM
tytech

Ottawa has to be in there too. Record for most penalty minutes in a game. They took us out in th playoffs two years in a row.

We beat Toronto, Toronto beats Ottawa, Ottawa beats us. It was a three ring circus.

tytech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
McNasty

Whatever team Barnaby is on......

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:35 AM
Claude Reigns
What offseason?

This season...some mites-on-ice team.

Claude Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:54 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poulin20 View Post
This season...some mites-on-ice team.
The Penguins are becoming a rival because of the new hatred, at least between the flyers fans and crosby, but I still don't see it as an old school rivalry, because there have not been many hard fought playoffs between them. There have been playoffs between them, but no big fights, hits, cheap stuff, things like that. Therefore, I put the Devils first, then the Rangers, then maybe Buffalo or Toronto, then now Pittsburgh. However, that being said, the Penguins rivalry with the Flyers will increase on the Flyers side, but for the Penguins it will diminish as the Flyers will no longer beat or be a threat to the Penguins.

Teams that beat up other teams on a regular basis usually don't have a real rivalry with that team in particular, whereas the team that gets beat all the time hates the other team for beating them so often. Hence, in the past, the Penguin fans hated the Flyers because the Flyers dominated the Pens, but the Flyer fans couldn't care less about the pens. Now, however, the shoe is on the other foot and the Pens will begin to hate whatever team they face a lot in the playoffs and the Flyers will hate the Pens for always beating them.

My example from experience (for those who are not yet too bored from this diatribe already):
I went to NCState University. In Basketball, in the 60s through the mid 80's UNC and NCSU were rivals. However, with the demise of NCSU basketball and the emergence of Duke basketball as a perennial power in the 80s, UNC's main rival now is Duke,but for NCSU, it remains UNC. UNC considers NCSU as a mere gnat since NCSU rarely defeats UNC. IN the past (1967-1989, 1995-2006), the Flyers treated the Pens as a mere gnat of a team, but the Pens hated the Flyers. Now it will reverse.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:56 AM
TheKingPin

i hate the pens and devils at number one. The pens have owned us and that leads to contepmt honestly crosby used to be the main reason why but he is not the same guy last year he is much more focused and a much more likable player. The devils are at the top of the list right now for HOW they are beating us. We have been ahead in third with less than a minute left and they score then we own the OT, like the regulation play, and then we get ripped in the shootout. I was very pissed at the end of those games. I really dont care about the Rangers so much.

1. Devils
2. Pens
3. Buffalo
4. Toronto
5. Rangers

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
From a Penguins fan perspective...the rivalry between the Pens & Flyers was very much one-sided until last season and has steadily grown thanks to the whole Crosby/Hatcher thing.

As long as the teams are in the same division I don't see a way any team aside from Philadelphia is considered the Penguins biggest in-division rival...while I doubt Pittsburgh ever passes New Jersey for you guys. Simple geography there. In terms of the atlantic division the Penguins are out there...the closest cities to Pittsburgh are Buffalo & Columbus, neither in the same division and one in a completely different conference. For you New Jersey, the New York teams, and Washington are all a stone's throw away. Philly is our closest geographic rival in our division and you're still over 300 miles away.

That's my take on it. That and there have been very few good playoff series between the teams...that always helps build rivalries. Washington fans loathe us and the hatred isn't really returned just because we beat them constantly in the playoffs throughout the 90s.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Evilo

vCash: 432
Quote:
I think the Flyers have dominated the Penguins for so long that they feel towards them the same way the Pens feel towards the Caps : you hate us, but we don't care, we kick your butts everytime.

Of course, that's changing because :
1- Pens are now competitive so the Flyers will get their butts kicked form time to time.
2- Ovechkin will make Washington a threat, so the Pens will lose their sahre of games to the Caps.

Evilo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
John Flyers Fan

The Pens have never been a real rival with the Flyers.

Only three playoff series between them all won by the Flyers, also the Penguins once when 40+ games without winning in Philadelphia.

In 40 years the one brief time the Penguins were a dominant team, happened to coincide with the only prolonged draught in Flyers history (1990-94).

Recent (10-12 years) rivals would go:

1. Devils
2. Sabres
3. Leafs
4. Rangers
5. Ottawa

All-time:

1. Rangers
2. Devils
3. Isles
4. Leafs
5. Bruins

Also rivalries will never be as good as they were during the 80's. Then you met the same teams in the playoffs year after year after year ... and playoff series are what really fuels the rivalry. That just isn't very likely to happen now.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Whatever team Barnaby is on......

---

As for the Rivals, yes, Pens are one because they're our across state rivals. Can someone explain why everyone considers the Rangers bigger rivals than the Devils. I always saw it as:

1. Devils
2. Penguins
3. Sabres
4. Rangers
5. Maple Leafs

But that's just me...I've only been watching hockey since the early 90's, so if something happened back in the 80's/70's I definitely missed it.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
NathanFoley

The Devils are by far my most hated team. Losing that Conference was the biggest soul crusher I've experienced as a Flyers fan, (just ahead of the Detroit series in 1997).

The Rangers are next. But they didn't make the playoffs for what, 8 seasons? When a rival is that wretched it kind of cools things off, but they've done a nice job of always having an agitator around.

After them is Buffalo. There's something about the expression on Lindy Ruff's face that makes me want to throw a big cup of soda at him. And they've eliminated us from the playoffs twice recently.

Then Toronto, but they've been all that good and with Quinn gone I feel like they don't even have the same identity any more. Do they expect Sundin back next season?

So for me (and I live in Philadelphia) the Penguins are a distant fifth. I was just starting to follow hockey when they won their last Stanley Cup, and up until this season we've usually thumped them. You occasionally see Penguins hats in town, but even then I'm reminded of their financial straits and inability to hang onto free agents. Course, those things are apparently resolved now (at least until Malkin and Staal's contracts come up), and Pittsburgh's laid an ungodly beating on us all season. But even that doesn't have much of an edge because EVERYONE has laid a beating on us this season, and I've been rooting for 30th since mid-December. In fact, the periodic spectacle of Crosby tearing us up has become a morbid celebration of our craptacularity this season, and I'm sort of looking forward to getting one more dose this season.

You know what, though? I still might put Detroit up there, maybe between Buffalo and Toronto. I really hate them.

A big part of it is being around people who are fans of other teams. I know a lot of Devils fans, and two of them are absolute morons. Same with the Rangers. I know two Detroit fans and one of them has a voice that could make your head explode. But the Pittsburgh people I know are all say 'yins' and seem confused as to whether Belfour is still on their team. (I hope that's not considered flaming - I'm simply stating fact)

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Carolina is my favorite team outside the Flyers. I think I'm the only Flyers fan who at no point considered Primeau and upgrade over Brind'Amour, and it was AWESOME seeing him and Williams win the cup last year. I'm rooting for em again this year.

NathanFoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post

As for the Rivals, yes, Pens are one because they're our across state rivals. Can someone explain why everyone considers the Rangers bigger rivals than the Devils. I always saw it as:

But that's just me...I've only been watching hockey since the early 90's, so if something happened back in the 80's/70's I definitely missed it.

Flyers - Rangers playoff series: 1974, 1979, 980, 1982, 1983, 1985 1986, 1987, 1995, 1997

Old
02-09-2007, 11:22 AM
mucker*

Let me ask, is the whole "keystone state" rivalary overblown then, until recently?

I never thought the Pens Flyers rivalary was a one side hatred like the Caps Pens were it's all on the Caps side, I thought it was a mutual rival, but more so on the Pens front but with good hatred on the PHI front due to us being in the same state.
I also thought both teams brought fans to each's own rink unlike Pens Caps were that is really one sided.

I just thought since we are not as close as the Rangers or Devils and have not been the playoff threat it would be less but still a good 3rd rival on your end.

Isn't it true that PHI fans typically don't like PIT and west PA fans?

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Let me ask, is the whole "keystone state" rivalary overblown then, until recently?

I never thought the Pens Flyers rivalary was a one side hatred like the Caps Pens were it's all on the Caps side, I thought it was a mutual rival, but more so on the Pens front but with good hatred on the PHI front due to us being in the same state.
I also thought both teams brought fans to each's own rink unlike Pens Caps were that is really one sided.

I just thought since we are not as close as the Rangers or Devils and have not been the playoff threat it would be less but still a good 3rd rival on your end.

Isn't it true that PHI fans typically don't like PIT and west PA fans?
Although Philadelpiha and Pittsburgh are located in the same state they're twice as far away than the Rangers, Isles, Caps and Devils.

Old
02-09-2007, 11:31 AM
slapsht25

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Flyers - Rangers playoff series: 1974, 1979, 980, 1982, 1983, 1985 1986, 1987, 1995, 1997
Ahhh the Patrick Division that was when hockey was at it height

slapsht25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

I would say the Pens because of the mutual hatred, the Devils from previous playoffs are our two top rivals. It's hard to consider the flyers anyone rivals, being last place and all. Most rivalries are from playoff battles

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:58 PM
pelts35.com

This season possibly the Phantoms and Titans.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:04 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight25 View Post

---

As for the Rivals, yes, Pens are one because they're our across state rivals. Can someone explain why everyone considers the Rangers bigger rivals than the Devils.

Well, if you were around in the late 70's and early 80's BEFORE the Devs were in NJ AND you saw how us and the Rangers used to always beat the snot outta each other then you'd know.

How many of you old timers like me remember guys like Ron Dugay (??sp) and Nick Fitiu (again, ??sp).

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:20 PM
dedhed

The Flyers rivals?

Other than the rest of the NHL,I think the true rivals of today's Flyers are the Flyer's of yesteryear.The game is different than it used to be,but the typical Philly fan wants to see a return of the "good ole' bully days",and the morons who man the front office used to be those bullies and they don't have a clue about how to change the outcome of the team.
That style will never return,now it's time for the Flyers to develope a different tact to the game.
Another important rival to the Flyers is Ed Snider.His track record is very poor,yet he still growls and cuts everyone in half with his hateful glares when asked what his plans are.
His plans? He has none. He's making tons of money from the Flyers as is,so why would he change?

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:27 PM
dedhed

I know the Philly fans will hate me for attacking Saint Ed,but...

He's owned them is some part since their beginning in 1967 and has how many Stanley Cups? Two.
That's why I say his track record is poor,that and the fact that it's been 30 years + since those victories.
It's sort of like the Utz chip company proudly printing an award from an old food magazine from 1981 on their bags of regular chips. Uh,hey guys.......it's 2007! Let's stop living in the past and discover the future

dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 01:33 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanFoley View Post

I think I'm the only Flyers fan who at no point considered Primeau and upgrade over Brind'Amour, and it was AWESOME seeing him and Williams win the cup last year. I'm rooting for em again this year.
I'm right there with you with the Primeau/Brind'Amour thing. Living in the outskirts of Raleigh for 20 years, I disliked the way in which Primeau left town. I always liked Brind'Amour, and wished they never made the trade for Primeau, although I acknowledge that the team thought greatly of his leadership and he apparently did a great job in that department. Plus his overtime goal in the playoffs a few years back was nice.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote