HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Wade Redden - Renew The Discussion...

Old
02-09-2007, 06:07 AM
delchief

vCash: 500
Wade Redden - Renew The Discussion...

This may have already been mentioned several times in the recent Buffalo GDT, but I felt Wade's efforts (or lack thereof) in the 3rd period of that game cost them at least a point. By this point in his career, he should know how to handle a fore-checker. He coughed up the puck twice when harrased by a single checker, causing Ottawa to have to take penalties in both cases to prevent scoring chances. One of those penalties cost them a PP goal against, and the other snuffed out a late comeback effort. Last night against Montreal, he also had a few defensive gaffes, including allowing Perezhogin to walk right through him in the second period. He can't play like that. He's the highest paid player on the team, but I'm increasingly finding that he's not the best player on any given night. I'm not even sure he's their best defender right now, as both Phillips and Volchenkov seem stronger overall in terms of their 60-minute effort.

All this said, Wade Redden is capable of being a star. His up-ice puck movement is terrific, and always has been. He plays cool and, like Alfie, he seems to calm the team down when they need that. His efforts in the Tampa series last year following the death of his mother, showed what kind of character Wade has and it's no coincidence that the only game they lost in that series was the one Redden missed. He's also very effective at QB'ing the power play.

So, you have the good and the bad. I love Wade on this team, but at $6.5 mil per year and with rumours of them looking to possibly trade a d-man like Phillips, I have been really thinking about what Reds brings to the table. I'd say he's their #3 defender in the defensive zone, their #1 defender on the power play and at moving the puck, and their #4 defender in terms of his physical play. I just feel he needs to step up his game big time, as he's supposed to be the man for this team. If you watched Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermeyer, Chris Pronger, Nicholas Lidstrom, Rob Blake, and even Mike Commodore last year, you see the kind of consitent and steady defensive play a Cup contender needs from its key defenceman. I haven't seen Wade get to that level yet, and before the team talks about trading Phillips or anyone else, I think they need to decide if he can get there... ever.... I certainly want him to, but he needs to want it too....

delchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:24 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by delchief View Post
This may have already been mentioned several times in the recent Buffalo GDT, but I felt Wade's efforts (or lack thereof) in the 3rd period of that game cost them at least a point. By this point in his career, he should know how to handle a fore-checker. He coughed up the puck twice when harrased by a single checker, causing Ottawa to have to take penalties in both cases to prevent scoring chances. One of those penalties cost them a PP goal against, and the other snuffed out a late comeback effort. Last night against Montreal, he also had a few defensive gaffes, including allowing Perezhogin to walk right through him in the second period. He can't play like that. He's the highest paid player on the team, but I'm increasingly finding that he's not the best player on any given night. I'm not even sure he's their best defender right now, as both Phillips and Volchenkov seem stronger overall in terms of their 60-minute effort.

All this said, Wade Redden is capable of being a star. His up-ice puck movement is terrific, and always has been. He plays cool and, like Alfie, he seems to calm the team down when they need that. His efforts in the Tampa series last year following the death of his mother, showed what kind of character Wade has and it's no coincidence that the only game they lost in that series was the one Redden missed. He's also very effective at QB'ing the power play.

So, you have the good and the bad. I love Wade on this team, but at $6.5 mil per year and with rumours of them looking to possibly trade a d-man like Phillips, I have been really thinking about what Reds brings to the table. I'd say he's their #3 defender in the defensive zone, their #1 defender on the power play and at moving the puck, and their #4 defender in terms of his physical play. I just feel he needs to step up his game big time, as he's supposed to be the man for this team. If you watched Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermeyer, Chris Pronger, Nicholas Lidstrom, Rob Blake, and even Mike Commodore last year, you see the kind of consitent and steady defensive play a Cup contender needs from its key defenceman. I haven't seen Wade get to that level yet, and before the team talks about trading Phillips or anyone else, I think they need to decide if he can get there... ever.... I certainly want him to, but he needs to want it too....
I'm not going to say anything.

billpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:31 AM
Savannah Skunk

Savannah Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:38 AM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo View Post

Me too

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:00 AM
rban*

I stick to my contention that Atrain, Phillips, Redden, and Mesz must NOT be traded no matter what.

And the only way to keep em while still retaining our big forwards...is to figure out a way to divest ourselves of Gerber and Corvo.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:08 AM
Redden Punches Faces*

Redden is awesome. Best 6.5 this team has ever spent. Billpo, I DARE you to prove me wrong!

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:15 AM
billpo

Quote:
I'm really biting my tongue.

Old
02-09-2007, 10:31 AM
Brandi

Keep biting.

Brandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
We should have this discussion after the playoffs.

Jennifer 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
Brandi

There should be a sticky for billpo's thoughts on Redden, or anyone for that matter.

then he can give his fingers a rest, from retyping and rehashing the same argument

Sticky for billpo!

Old
02-09-2007, 11:09 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandi View Post
There should be a sticky for billpo's thoughts on Redden, or anyone for that matter.

then he can give his fingers a rest, from retyping and rehashing the same argument

Sticky for billpo!
Isn't that just called a "signature"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billpo
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate Wade Redden.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:12 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
Isn't that just called a "signature"?
How many paragraphs can a signature hold?

Old
02-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Brandi

Old
02-09-2007, 11:25 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
How many paragraphs can a signature hold?
About a sentence. You'd have to play around with the sizing to get more words in there and I think sponsors get more sig room.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:50 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Since no one is commentating and doesn't want to I dont wanna be the first. I'll just say this, he needs to play better.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Since no one is commentating and doesn't want to I dont wanna be the first. I'll just say this, he needs to play better.
I've said everything I've had to say about this topic. Maybe its time for some others here to voice there opinions.

Old
02-09-2007, 11:56 AM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
I'll just say this, he needs to play better.
Exactly. The team is playing better with him in the lineup, but they'd be playing a lot better if he was playing like the guy they paid $6.5M to keep.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Jerk Store
Classless

I think we could manage without him. Volchenkov and Phillips have really become our stu defensemen.

I would really like a trade to Edmonton for some depth:

Something like Redden for Torres and Bergeron!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by saderules View Post
I think we could manage without him. Volchenkov and Phillips have really become our stu defensemen.

I would really like a trade to Edmonton for some depth:

Something like Redden for Torres and Bergeron!
Atrocious offer for an elite puck moving defenceman.

Torres is Neil with a little more offence but less physical dimensions.

Bergeron plain sucks - even worse than Corvo.

All the Redden talk should occur after the playoffs, IMHO. He has had a bad set of games since the all-stars, but so did Heatley and Fisher, in my opinion.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Some fans (I won't mention names) are prone to saying how much better we play when Redden is in the lineup. Those fans are conspicuously quiet now. Redden sure doesn't look like a defenseman worth 6.5 million dollars.

After the playoffs are over, the team better take a long hard look at Wade Redden. With one more year left on his contract, if he is to be moved it will be during this off-season.

Caseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:21 PM
SoulPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
Some fans (I won't mention names) are prone to saying how much better we play when Redden is in the lineup. Those fans are conspicuously quiet now. Redden sure doesn't look like a defenseman worth 6.5 million dollars.

After the playoffs are over, the team better take a long hard look at Wade Redden. With one more year left on his contract, if he is to be moved it will be during this off-season.
Billpo WILL have his day in the sun.

My question to you Billpo, if/when Redden is moved, who becomes public enemy #1? The next highest paid player? Or do you already have someone lined up to replace the Redden banter.

SoulPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:24 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
25-12-2 when Redden plays. That is all I will say.

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:25 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulPatch View Post
Billpo WILL have his day in the sun.

My question to you Billpo, if/when Redden is moved, who becomes public enemy #1? The next highest paid player? Or do you already have someone lined up to replace the Redden banter.

When the time comes....you will know.

Like I said, I'm not saying anything.

Old
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
When the time comes....you will know.

Like I said, I'm not saying anything.

You sure say you aren't going to say anything alot.

Redden Punches Faces* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:29 PM
billpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Elbows View Post
You sure say you aren't going to say anything alot.
I don't know for how long...but today for sure.