HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gdt: Blackhawks @ Oilers 02/09/07

Old
02-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Digger12

vCash: 500
The game's kinda reflecting tonight's GDT right now.

Both are snoozers at the moment, which is odd considering how important these 2 points are for the Oilers.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:22 PM
Danglefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Ferraro makes the statement that center is way harder than wing. Not sure about that Ray.
Have you ever played hockey? Center is definately a harder position than playing the wing, you are the one responsible for skating everywhere on the ice, helping the defense dig the puck out of the corners in your own end, and then you have to be the biggest part of the breakout (next to a good initial pass). You have to be everywhere, and do so much as a center its nuts. As a winger all you have to do is anchor your ass on the boards for the breakout, watch their point men, and then jump up in the other end. True you get hit more as a winger because your on the boards, but centerman are the ones that take the worst hits (refer back to Stoll against Detroit) because you are in open ice the majority of your shift.

Danglefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:23 PM
westcory

I have not commented on his play since he was hurt early on in the season but Pisani is horrible lately. Every time he carries the puck into the offesnive zone he pulls up instead of driving to the net. Just my rant but here is another guy that could get moved and I wouldn't mind.

westcory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:24 PM
faneuil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12 View Post
The game's kinda reflecting tonight's GDT right now.

Both are snoozers at the moment, which is odd considering how important these 2 points are for the Oilers.

For some reason I thought the game began at 10pm my time instead of 9pm. *SIGH* Story of my life this week. Hour behind and a dollar short.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:26 PM
TheGreatone94

Nedved with great oppurtunities and a great cycle that shift. Anyone who thinks Petersen is a better option needs to get their heads checked.

TheGreatone94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

We Need a Big hit....

What does everyone think of Kukkonen??

Oilbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:27 PM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by faneuil View Post
For some reason I thought the game began at 10pm my time instead of 9pm. *SIGH* Story of my life this week. Hour behind and a dollar short.
Darlin', it sounds like your week's been one big bag o' suck.

Sit down, kick back and grab a beer or something.

Old
02-09-2007, 09:28 PM
NotoriousJatt

Send a message via MSN to NotoriousJatt
i just got in whats the score?

NotoriousJatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:32 PM
Digger12

I've liked Roloson's game tonight, he looks like he's on the puck and wide awake.

Old
02-09-2007, 09:35 PM
goggog

I Love Staios

goggog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
propel94

It is good to see Roloson having a good game. He is going to be a workhorse for the Oil on

he road trip, and we will go as far as he can take us down the stretch.

propel94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:43 PM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatone94 View Post
Nedved with great oppurtunities and a great cycle that shift. Anyone who thinks Petersen is a better option needs to get their heads checked.
I have loved Nedved's game, he should be playing with Torres every night, they work down low so well together.

Old
02-09-2007, 09:46 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danglefish View Post
Have you ever played hockey? Center is definately a harder position than playing the wing, you are the one responsible for skating everywhere on the ice, helping the defense dig the puck out of the corners in your own end, and then you have to be the biggest part of the breakout (next to a good initial pass). You have to be everywhere, and do so much as a center its nuts. As a winger all you have to do is anchor your ass on the boards for the breakout, watch their point men, and then jump up in the other end. True you get hit more as a winger because your on the boards, but centerman are the ones that take the worst hits (refer back to Stoll against Detroit) because you are in open ice the majority of your shift.
I played center and wing. I guess my perspective is that a wingman has a more physical position and a position that requires a lot more skating. Its the same reason it can be tough comparing forward to defence. Defence is all positioning and smarts. A beer gut can be fairly succesful at defence becasue it requrires a lot less skating.

A winger has to complete two of the tougher tasks in hockey; taking the d pass on the breakout which probably 75% of breakout goes to the winger and they are responsible for going into the corner on the forecheck to try and physically take the puck away from the defense.

Center has more responsibility in the defensive end but it also allows for less skating. The center is more often than not the high guy in the offensive zone. Being center also inflates your stats by about 10-15%.

In fact if it wasn't for faceoffs, which are a lot more mentally and phyically grueling than people realize, I would say winger is hands down the tougher position

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

So far this game I would give the Oilers as a team a rating of good. They have had some lapses, but they have been solid for the most part.

The Forwards this game:
Hemsky - Has looked dangerous and has been solid
Horcoff - Has played well, looks like he might get one
Smyth - Has been ok, a little bit invisable
Pouliot - Has been impressive on both ends of the rink, I think he'll be staying
Pisani - Has looked ridged, but has been ok defensively
Torres - Has scored a goal and looks inspired
Lupul - Has been trying a little more, he's still not doing much
Sykora - Just like Lupul, he's trying, but not getting much done
Petersen - Has simply been the worst player on the ice. At both ends of the rink he's been brutal (I don't care what you say about having a "hate on" he's been the worst player). Needs to not be on the team, he's killing Lupul and Sykora.
Nedved - Has played well, finding his legs and hands
Reasoner - Has been solid
Stortini - Has fought, been physical and has had some good offensive moments. He continues to impress.

The Defense this game:
Smith - Has been solid, and has done a good job holding Havlat in check
Hejda - Has been ok, took to bad penalties and has been caught up ice.
Staios - Has been a rock
Smid - Has been ok, nothing special tonight
Greene - Has been mostly solid
Bergeron - Has been qutie good, with the puck making good, heads up passes and even being fairly physical

Roloson - Has been solid, hasn't been tested to hard, but has been solid.

A another good 20 minutes and this team can leave happy.

GO OILERS GO!!!

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
QScout

Hey guys, I've just notice a weird stat tonight... how come there have only been 2 penalties ?

QScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Lessy

Quote:
I played center and wing. I guess my perspective is that a wingman has a more physical position and a position that requires a lot more skating. Its the same reason it can be tough comparing forward to defence. Defence is all positioning and smarts. A beer gut can be fairly succesful at defence becasue it requrires a lot less skating.

A winger has to complete two of the tougher tasks in hockey; taking the d pass on the breakout which probably 75% of breakout goes to the winger and they are responsible for going into the corner on the forecheck to try and physically take the puck away from the defense.

Center has more responsibility in the defensive end but it also allows for less skating. The center is more often than not the high guy in the offensive zone. Being center also inflates your stats by about 10-15%.

In fact if it wasn't for faceoffs, which are a lot more mentally and phyically grueling than people realize, I would say winger is hands down the tougher position
I'm not sure about that... centre IMO is far more difficult to play than the wing. You have to be engaged at both ends of the ice while in the D zone wingers aren't doing nearly as much until a breakout pass is made. The centre roams all over the place from endboards to endboards. I don't think there's much question more skating is required from the centremen. You do raise a good point about wingers having to take the breakout pass, and yes that is an extremely difficult play but centre takes more work and effort imo as opposed to wing.

Lessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So far this game I would give the Oilers as a team a rating of good. They have had some lapses, but they have been solid for the most part.

The Forwards this game:
Hemsky - Has looked dangerous and has been solid
Horcoff - Has played well, looks like he might get one
Smyth - Has been ok, a little bit invisable
Pouliot - Has been impressive on both ends of the rink, I think he'll be staying
Pisani - Has looked ridged, but has been ok defensively
Torres - Has scored a goal and looks inspired
Lupul - Has been trying a little more, he's still not doing much
Sykora - Just like Lupul, he's trying, but not getting much done
Petersen - Has simply been the worst player on the ice. At both ends of the rink he's been brutal (I don't care what you say about having a "hate on" he's been the worst player). Needs to not be on the team, he's killing Lupul and Sykora.
Nedved - Has played well, finding his legs and hands
Reasoner - Has been solid
Stortini - Has fought, been physical and has had some good offensive moments. He continues to impress.

The Defense this game:
Smith - Has been solid, and has done a good job holding Havlat in check
Hejda - Has been ok, took to bad penalties and has been caught up ice.
Staios - Has been a rock
Smid - Has been ok, nothing special tonight
Greene - Has been mostly solid
Bergeron - Has been qutie good, with the puck making good, heads up passes and even being fairly physical

Roloson - Has been solid, hasn't been tested to hard, but has been solid.

A another good 20 minutes and this team can leave happy.

GO OILERS GO!!!
So in summary, in a 1-0 game against a mediocre club, all the Oilers are playing good or solid except Toby who's very existence drags down an entire squad.

What about the decent eye-up and cross pass to Hemsky he made. That was a pretty decent play for the worst player in existence.

Old
02-09-2007, 09:57 PM
HotToddy

Toby Watch!

Worst player in history creates pressure with a great forecheck then draws penalty.

Raises bar for all other players in the NHL as he has been deemed the WORST player in the NHL

Old
02-09-2007, 10:02 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Horc!!!!!

2-0

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:03 PM
faneuil

The beer worked.

faneuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
So in summary, in a 1-0 game against a mediocre club, all the Oilers are playing good or solid except Toby who's very existence drags down an entire squad.

What about the decent eye-up and cross pass to Hemsky he made. That was a pretty decent play for the worst player in existence.
You're right that was a good pass, but he has been the worst player on the ice TONIGHT!!!

And I think you're not giving enough credit to a team who beat Calgary and Vancouver on back to back night.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:05 PM
capta

Send a message via ICQ to capta

Who did he fight? And did he win? Just got home from work...

capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:07 PM
vbet*

Anyone notice all the Chicago shots have been from the outside? The defense is playing well.

vbet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 10:20 PM
westcory

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemskyforpm View Post
Horc!!!!!

2-0
Horc almost missed that goal and has shown tonight that he is exactly the opposite of a first line center......NO Finish! None, nada, zip......This guy needs to be able to score the 20 or so freebees he gets from smyth and Hemmer and he is not capable of it.

Old
02-09-2007, 10:23 PM
HotToddy

Back to Back bonehead penalties in consecutive games for Hemmer.