HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bertuzzi - where there's smoke...

Old
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
FlaPanthers7

vCash: 500
Bertuzzi - where there's smoke...

Another blurb about Bertuzzi not being in a Panthers' jersey next year:

"Panthers coach Jacques Martin continued to point to next week as Todd Bertuzzi's return, but wouldn't rule out a return Saturday night at home against Phoenix. The Coyotes are a team that is said to be interested in signing Bertuzzi this offseason, and Bertuzzi reportedly told former Vancouver teammate Ed Jovanovski he would like to play in that game." Also, Martin also laughed at a published report that said Bertuzzi might be headed to the Red Wings. Thursday, Detroit GM Ken Holland dismissed those reports as well.http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald...y/16658666.htm

Si.com has the last word changed from "game" to "city" too:
"Bertuzzi reportedly told former Vancouver teammate Ed Jovanovski he would like to play in that city." http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nhl/index.html

At what point does there really become a fire behind the all the smoke? With the Red Wings reportedly interested and the 'Yotes interested in making a run at Bertuzzi, I find myself hoping we trade him so we don't lose him for nothing in the offseason. I just can't see Cohen resigning Bertuzzi for what he could get on the open market after not seeing him play most of this year due to a bad back. We will get about 10 days with only a couple of games to see Bertuzzi before the deadline. IMO, he's gone to the best offer.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

I'd trade Bertuzzi to the Wings for Jim Howard, Igor Grigorenko, and a 1st.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:02 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haj View Post
I'd trade Bertuzzi to the Wings for Jim Howard, Igor Grigorenko, and a 1st.
Unfortunately i don't think the wings would do that.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:04 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

With Doan & Nagy impending UFA, I wonder if a deal with Phoenix is a possibility. I don't know that Phoenix can afford to resign both of them AND Bert (and pay Jovo).

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Unfortunately i don't think the wings would do that.
I know. But thats what I would want.

200th Post!

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:27 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
With Doan & Nagy impending UFA, I wonder if a deal with Phoenix is a possibility. I don't know that Phoenix can afford to resign both of them AND Bert (and pay Jovo).
Id love to flip Bert for Doan if Bert doenst want to stay here

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:39 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

I think when all is said and done, we will resign Bertuzzi. He will be a Panther.

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:45 PM
flannelman
merde!

vCash: 195
I honestly don't know. I haven't seen any clips or heard anything from the media quoting that Bert wants to stay... how many games has he played for you guys... 7? This is an interesting situation you have here.

flannelman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:54 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_CATS_FAN View Post
I think when all is said and done, we will resign Bertuzzi. He will be a Panther.
Why? Like the other poster, there's nothing from Todd that indicates he wants to be here. He can still play golf in Phoenix or even re-sign with Vancouver, who he loved playing for before the trade, or any other perennial contender.

I can't believe any marquee name would want to sign here given how long we've been missing the playoffs.

PS - I wish Detroit would offer us that deal of Howard, Grigs, and a 1st for Bertuzzi!

Old
02-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
you will know soon enough if Bertuzzi will stay or not; dreger said he wants to stay in florida, its speculation, martin wont let him go for nothing

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:25 PM
KW

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
you will know soon enough if Bertuzzi will stay or not; dreger said he wants to stay in florida, its speculation, martin wont let him go for nothing
If I could tell JM and the organization something it would go like this. Sorry it sounds like a lecture but IMO it needs to be said:

The Panthers will not make the playoffs this year. Therefore, you have from now until next season to make this team better. Make trades wisely because you are dealing from a position of strength (plenty of cap space, no bad contracts, strong core of young players). Remember, we are not a farm team for the rest of NHL.
Next season I expect us not to have a horrible November. I expect we will win OT games. I expect to win more 1-goal games. I expect this team not to be practically eliminated from playoffs by February or March 2008. Things have changed in a positive way in the organization and as a STH I'm willing to wait another year. Iím willing to give you one more chance. Donít blow it.

KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 02:29 PM
NJ_CATS_FAN
We Suck Yet Again

Like the famous quote from Jim Mora, "Playoffs, are you kidding me, playoffs, playoffs, i dont think we can win a game".

NJ_CATS_FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
FlaPanthers7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey View Post
If he wants to stay in Florida there would be contract negotiations before he becomes a UFA. I haven't heard anything except they will try to resign him after the season, which could be too late if someone else throws a ridiculous deal at him.

Old
02-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

who knows..

Old
02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaPanthers7 View Post
If he wants to stay in Florida there would be contract negotiations before he becomes a UFA. I haven't heard anything except they will try to resign him after the season, which could be too late if someone else throws a ridiculous deal at him.
do you honestly think we will lose him for nothing?

Old
02-09-2007, 04:58 PM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
The Panthers will not make the playoffs this year. Therefore, you have from now until next season to make this team better. Make trades wisely because you are dealing from a position of strength (plenty of cap space, no bad contracts, strong core of young players). Remember, we are not a farm team for the rest of NHL.
Next season I expect us not to have a horrible November. I expect we will win OT games. I expect to win more 1-goal games. I expect this team not to be practically eliminated from playoffs by February or March 2008. Things have changed in a positive way in the organization and as a STH I'm willing to wait another year. Iím willing to give you one more chance. Donít blow it.

I couldn't have said it better myself KW! I agree. I'm giving them one more chance... unless they manage to blow it before the offseason by making bad personnel moves.

angry_treefrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
CrazyCanucks

It would suck if all you got for Luongo was maybe 30 games from Bert, Auld (who just sucks this year) and Allen

To whoever said that Bert might re-sign in Vancouver, don't count on it. As much as he loves it in Vancouver, it just will not work again. It's like breaking up with a girl after going out with her for 8 years, and then getting back to gether a year later. The sex is good, but the releationship is a disaster

It is what it is

CrazyCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 05:25 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks View Post
It would suck if all you got for Luongo was maybe 30 games from Bert, Auld (who just sucks this year) and Allen

To whoever said that Bert might re-sign in Vancouver, don't count on it. As much as he loves it in Vancouver, it just will not work again. It's like breaking up with a girl after going out with her for 8 years, and then getting back to gether a year later. The sex is good, but the releationship is a disaster

It is what it is
it would suck huh? never would have thought.

Old
02-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

I can see Cohen and JM resigning Bert for only one reason .. politics. There's no way that they'll be able to justify to the STH without completely losing their fanbase that trading the face of the franchise for about 25 games of another "name" player was in the plan all along.

It would be the last nail in the coffin for too many people and I really don't think they'll risk it, nor can they really afford to.

Desert Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post
I can see Cohen and JM resigning Bert for only one reason .. politics. There's no way that they'll be able to justify to the STH without completely losing their fanbase that trading the face of the franchise for about 25 games of another "name" player was in the plan all along.

It would be the last nail in the coffin for too many people and I really don't think they'll risk it, nor can they really afford to.
AGREEEEED

Old
02-09-2007, 07:22 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Panther View Post

hmm... i think you have to consider the circumstances first - nobody knew he'd miss most of the season. that really changes a lot. it doesn't change the bottom line, though, which is that, imo, we're already off the plan. bert was part of keenan's plan (if there was one). we're now transitioning to another plan.

one thing going in management's favor is that nobody here has any attachment to bert. if JM's able to get good value for him and doesn't think he'll sign here (doesn't seem likely at this point), i'm sure he'll be able to spin it. and the fans will come back again next year.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
hmm... i think you have to consider the circumstances first - nobody knew he'd miss most of the season. that really changes a lot. it doesn't change the bottom line, though, which is that, imo, we're already off the plan. bert was part of keenan's plan (if there was one). we're now transitioning to another plan.

one thing going in management's favor is that nobody here has any attachment to bert. if JM's able to get good value for him and doesn't think he'll sign here (doesn't seem likely at this point), i'm sure he'll be able to spin it. and the fans will come back again next year.
I think your wrong, Martin has already said Bertuzzi will not be traded. Obviously if you come out and say that, you are going to attempt to resign him (it was in a article martin commented in)

Last edited by Egblad: 02-09-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old
02-09-2007, 07:45 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

Circumstances aside, think of what you're saying. You've traded one of the top 3 netminders the world (and a solid defensive prospect) for a borderline NHL-level netminder, a potential top 4 defenseman, and an injured malcontent that has the potential to get back on the horse after getting about the worst kind of press you can get in sports and score 90-110 points. Then you let the scorer go, from a franchise that is in desperate need of finishing ability for salary cap room that may or may not net another decent player.

This on top of the fact of the already ugly frustration of the fanbase. All you have to do is add ice and you've got a completely dead franchise.

Old
02-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Cocomero*

Well i think it's fare to narrow down the list.

Teams that are not interested in Bertuzzi: Vancouver Canucks

Teams that will be interested in him: Other 29 teams

No really...i can see every team being interested in Bertuzzi. When he's healthy and confident, he's an unstopable force. One of the best power forwards i've seen.

Cocomero* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:51 PM
Desert Panther
Resident Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckie View Post
Well i think it's fare to narrow down the list.

Teams that are not interested in Bertuzzi: Vancouver Canucks

Teams that will be interested in him: Other 29 teams

No really...i can see every team being interested in Bertuzzi. When he's healthy and confident, he's an unstopable force. One of the best power forwards i've seen.
I don't think it's fair to say that VAN isn't interested in re-acquiring Bert. Naslund and the Sedins have suffered some (and Morrison has been downright miserable) without him creating space. It's possible, not probable, but the interest would be there.