HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Good the Bad the Ugly

Old
02-09-2007, 06:12 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

vCash: 500
The Good the Bad the Ugly

We have 10 games left this month, 6 are against teams that are out of the playoffs as of todays standings. Overall 16 of the 26 games left are against teams out of the playoffs. 12 of the 26 games left are at home, 14 on the road. Got a 5 game road streak coming up, starting at the end of the month.

Clearly we are in trouble if the team doesn't find a way to turn things around. Huet has lost 5 of his last 7 starts, he's given up 12 goals in his last 3 starts, don't know what's going on there but we sorely need him to get back on track.

Our 1st line is dead. Higgins can't buy a point, he's got 1 pt in his last 12 games Koivu and Ryder are struggling big time. Hardly anyone on the team is producing.

Higgins/Murray/Downey/Ninny 0 pts in their last 7

Koivu/Lats/Komisarek/Dandenault/Bouillon with 1 pt each in last 7

Markov/Ryder/Perezhogin/Rivet/Lapierre with 2 pts each in their last 7

Kovalev/Sammy/Johnson/Bonk with 3 pts each in their last 7

Souray/Streit with 4 pts each in their last 7

Pleks with 6 pts in his last 7

But if we can get Markov and Begin back on saturday, Gainey will have to do something cause we'll have one too many players. If he sends Lapierre down I think the board will crash. I would assume Murray would be the odd man out. Would be cool to see Begin and Lapierre together. I hope to see Downey/Murray/Niinimaa all out next game.

I'd like to see a little shakeup of the roster if Markov and Begin are back

Higgins Koivu Perezhogin
Ryder Pleks Kovalev
Sammy Bonk Johnson
Begin Lappy Lats

Markov Komisarek
Souray Streit
Bouillon Dandenault

I got to think at some point some of these guys are gonna start putting some pucks in the net more often. Higgins is so due for a big game, Koivu as well. I know the outcry will be why Perezhogin on the top line, but other then Pleks/Souray/Streit no one has really been scoring lately, and if Rivet can't go then we need Streit to take his spot on defense. They got to some way to get the offense going, holy cow has it been ugly.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 06:21 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
We have 10 games left this month...
The sense I get is that Carbo, as rookie coach, does not have much ability, yet, to make adjustments when things go wrong. Now that Huet has gone cold, .940 goaltending is no longer there to mask Carbo's short-comings.

I think that Carbo has it in him to eventually learn the ropes, but long losing skids are the potential risk of hiring a rookie coach, or converting an assistant to a head coach.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Skyblaze

I like those lines but I'm not sure about playing Ryder on his off-wing.

I think much of the problem stems from Carbo being an ex-player and rookie coach. Players tend to lose faith in the "system" when it starts having problems and I think we're seeing Carbo doubting his own choices; an effect that snowballs unto the players. He'll get over it eventually and hopefully, it won't be so late that we fell out of a playoff spot.

Most of the problem can also stem from the fact that we have an org run by former Selkes. You can hardly win games if you tell guys like Ryder, Koivu and Kovalev to "play defensively". It's not a natural for them so they have to concentrate more on it so they don't score as much; and since they're not good at it, we get scored on.

Lastly, our only two defensemen who can skate well with the puck are Markov and Bouillon. Rivet, Big Ninny and Souray are pylons while Dandenault seems to have lost a lot of the speed that made him into a good defenseman. Streit is average in this regard but he seems to be looking up; I'm just counting him as a forward at the moment since that's where he gave us his best hockey. Our defense, while not bad by any means, is not quite mobile enough to win us games.

I can't place any blame on the goalies, they're doing a decent job but are left hung out to dry on most nights.

This team should be doing better than it is right now, but not necessarily as well as they were during their early season hot streak.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:15 AM
GoodKiwi

The Good:
Latendresse on the penalty shot

The Bad:
Special teams continue to struggle

The Ugly:
Montreal on 5 on 3 powerplay

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Does anyone think that playing Higgins on the 3rd line for the time being would be a good idea? He is struggling to score at the moment (although many are) and is only in his second year. He has recently(ish) come back from an injury and hasn't played as well as he did beforehand. Playing on the 1st line, it is expected you should score and from what I've heard of the games and peoples comments, it isn't just that his scoring is gone, his whole game is struggling at times. He ended last season scoring at will and began this season the same way, could it be that he is putting too much pressure on himself to be a 'scorer' instead of just trying to be a player? From the third line, he can contribute and find his game and when he gets hot, he can be moved back up to the top line. In the mean time, it opens up a space on the top line to try either Pez or Sammy (or maybe someone else) and get them into gear.

Seeing as I can't watch the games, I don't have as good a read on whats happening with him as many others here, but I'm wondering if taking some of the pressure off him might help? What does everyone else think?

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:43 AM

Quote:

But if we can get Markov and Begin back on saturday, Gainey will have to do something cause we'll have one too many players. If he sends Lapierre down I think the board will crash. I would assume Murray would be the odd man out. Would be cool to see Begin and Lapierre together. I hope to see Downey/Murray/Niinimaa all out next game.

Higgins Koivu Perezhogin
Ryder Pleks Kovalev
Sammy Bonk Johnson
Begin Lappy Lats

Markov Komisarek
Souray Streit
Bouillon Dandenault

I got to think at some point some of these guys are gonna start putting some pucks in the net more often. Higgins is so due for a big game, Koivu as well. I know the outcry will be why Perezhogin on the top line, but other then Pleks/Souray/Streit no one has really been scoring lately, and if Rivet can't go then we need Streit to take his spot on defense. They got to some way to get the offense going, holy cow has it been ugly.
I said it at the beginning of the year when they announced the roster, there's absolutely NO POINT in having both of Murray/Downey in the lineup, the coaching staff needs to make a decision in both of these players cases, one has to go.

As for your lines, I like them...

Ryder needs to play on his off-wing IMO, same with Perezhogin, he's shown the most flash when he comes on his off wing and takes the defensman outside with his speed (see last night's game).

And I love that Bégin-Lapierre-Latendresse line, I can't wait for Bégin to come back personally, we miss his enthusiasm and willingless to block shots on the PK and just his all out huslte. I think he and Lapierre would cause alot of trouble for opposing teams by being disturbing.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:45 AM
Skyblaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post
Does anyone think that playing Higgins on the 3rd line for the time being would be a good idea? He is struggling to score at the moment (although many are) and is only in his second year. He has recently(ish) come back from an injury and hasn't played as well as he did beforehand. Playing on the 1st line, it is expected you should score and from what I've heard of the games and peoples comments, it isn't just that his scoring is gone, his whole game is struggling at times. He ended last season scoring at will and began this season the same way, could it be that he is putting too much pressure on himself to be a 'scorer' instead of just trying to be a player? From the third line, he can contribute and find his game and when he gets hot, he can be moved back up to the top line. In the mean time, it opens up a space on the top line to try either Pez or Sammy (or maybe someone else) and get them into gear.

Seeing as I can't watch the games, I don't have as good a read on whats happening with him as many others here, but I'm wondering if taking some of the pressure off him might help? What does everyone else think?
Completely agree. He's showing flashes of his skill every so often but spends most of his time second-guessing the play. It's much like Bouillon was at the start of the season.

It just reinforces my opinion that the players are getting conflicting orders from the coach. Higgins' problem is just more evident because he has the added problem of seeming unsure if his injury is entirely healed.

Skyblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:00 AM
LeMAD

F Ugly: Streit

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:01 AM
CHareth

Quote:

Higgins Koivu Perezhogin
Ryder Pleks Kovalev
Sammy Bonk Johnson
Begin Lappy Lats

Markov Komisarek
Souray Streit
Bouillon Dandenault
I thought Niinimaa's been playing well of late even if he isn't racking up the points. I'd use him instead of Bouillon for sure.

I also think Koivu and Kovalev should be tried for at least a full game (preferably at least two). They're the biggest offensive threats on the team and both are struggling. Let's see what they can do together.

Streit - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Plekanec - Ryder
Samsonov/Perezhogin - Bonk - Johnson
Begin - Lapierre - Latendresse

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Dandenault
Niinimaa - Rivet

CHareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:06 AM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
F Ugly: Streit
Yes blame the guy who won us our last 5 wins. After all he's a 7th d-man who was playing on the first line and is paid under a million a year.

Streit, how could you play a bad game!? How could you?

Tendresse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:22 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudemain View Post
Yes blame the guy who won us our last 5 wins. After all he's a 7th d-man who was playing on the first line and is paid under a million a year.

The good/bad/ugly rhing was about the game no? So yes, Streit was good as a foward the last few game, but he's not nhl caliber while playing on D...

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Dave View Post

For not getting to watch the games you pretty much hit it on the head. It seems that since returning from his injury Higgins has been pressing to return to the form he showed late last year and earlier this year. A move to the third line I agree would be the best for him until he regains his form.

02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

on streit...
he got caught up ice way too often last night... but he wasn't the only one dandy, souray, were exposed a couple of times too... if there's an excuse it's that we were losing and can't buy a goal... a bit of a catch 22.

the good...
perezhogin... played a nice game... took some solid checks and showed he has some guts... one hooking penalty but i didn't like the call.

that crazy double penalty shot minor watchamacallit... downey's hillarious... did you guy's see him pat the ref on the back after he came over to explain the call to the habs... additionally- what's with the watch?

the bad...
odd man rushes, terrible... when a player pinches it falls on another player to support the pinching player... i thought nhl players understood that... wow. d and forwards equally guilty of this... they should watch a soccer game today to see how rotations and support work

the ugly...
being scored on first in 7 in a row.

too much traffic in front of our net...

coach carbonneau's facial reactions... they're making him like aloof and oppositional... i love guy's desire to win and he's a fiery competitor... however sometimes the poker face is the better approach

my lines next game
kovy-koivu-sammy
ryder-pleck-higgins
perez-bonk-johns
begin-lapy-downey
HS- latendresse (i like him i just think he could benefit from knowing his spot is not a given)

komi-markov
souray-rivet
boul-dand

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Rockomax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudemain View Post

How could he? He has lost the game on his own and he's the only one who's playing badly right now

Rockomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 12:41 PM
Netro

My Turn

The Good:
(a) Perezhogin's play. Showed taking the pass off boards and going to the net strong that he is working and has skill. Disagreed with the hooking penalty call on him, thought it was a good 'stick' check
(b) Latendresse's penalty shot goal: Got the puck upstairs and in a small space to score. That, was a goal scorers goal
(c) The Penalty Killing - Killing 7 of 8 Ottawa PPs is hopefully a sign that this unit is back at it

The Bad:
(a) Not scoring the first goal for the 7th straight game. This is big when the team's confidence is low
(b) The first goal - In December, Huet stops that shot in his sleep
(c) The Penalties - uh, enough guys. Penalties are momentum killers that keep the offensive players on the bench
(d) Samsonov not playing - I had no expectations he would play 20 minutes but I think he should have been on the 4th line last night.

The Ugly:
(a) No transition game - Habs have had no transition game which means no odd man rushes. Odd man rushes lead to easier goals. The Habs have to work extra hard to score because they are playing in the offensive zone, cycling with all 5 defenders back and most importantly, not using their speed. This, to me, is a big reason that the Habs have stuggled this season at 5 on 5.
(b) Powerplay - Just no results
(c) Confidence - This is a fragile team and you can see it on the ice. They are not skating, they are squeezing the stick
(d) No Markov - We realize just how important he is when he is out of the line-up. He is the #1 priority this offseason. He must be re-signed, even if BG has to overpay a bit

As I think about it, the more I wonder if the Habs need to let both Souray AND Rivet go this offseason and go out and get a bonafide #2 2-way puck moving d-man. I don't know who is an UFA or might be available via trade but I would be comfortable with a D of Markov, Komisarek, Bouillion, Dandenault, Streit and an upgrade to Souray.

Netro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 03:36 PM
bjac

Great movie...

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 03:59 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I traveled from Kitchener to Ottawa to see the game last night, and Montreal was completely uninspired. They couldn't follow up any momentum, Downey was terrible (and I mean really, really bad), the PP was inept since Kovalev doesn't feel like cycling the puck, it was just about the poorest performance I've ever seen.

I mean, words can't describe how badly they played last night. Saturday's game is now even more important.

02-09-2007, 04:14 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
The Good:

Can't find anything positive sorry....just brutal

The bad: Our defence being nervous and not being alert...

The ugly: We simply can't overplay a team...as of late...

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Great movie...
I prefer fist full of dollars or for a few dollars more...

however it is one of my favourite soundtrack/scores of all time...

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 07:08 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse 4 View Post
however it is one of my favourite soundtrack/scores of all time...
It's my favorite as well. The music basically makes the movie for me, and it's one of my all-time favorites.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 08:57 PM
Alexei Yashvalev

What is going on with the captain?

Saku Koivu: -15
Michael Ryder: -18
Christopher Higgins: -11
= -44

What is going on with the captain? Alexander Perezhooking is +13

Alexei Yashvalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:07 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Perezhooking also played almost the entire season with our two best defensive forwards. I'm not trying to slight Perez's defensive game (it has greatly improved) but you could even put Ryder in that slot for 40 games and he'd manage a plus rating.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:19 PM
znk

The battery is dead.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:55 PM
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexei Yashvalev View Post
Saku Koivu: -15
Michael Ryder: -18
Christopher Higgins: -11
= -44

What is going on with the captain? Alexander Perezhooking is +13

there is no excuse for the top lines play.koivu has to step up.-44 is only ok if you are puttin up some points.eg.naslund ,bert and morrison a couple seasons back.but even then its embarrassing.i love saks but this kind of thing is nothin new.at least hes not injured!!

drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2007, 09:58 PM
drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
The sense I get is that Carbo, as rookie coach, does not have much ability, yet, to make adjustments when things go wrong. Now that Huet has gone cold, .940 goaltending is no longer there to mask Carbo's short-comings.

I think that Carbo has it in him to eventually learn the ropes, but long losing skids are the potential risk of hiring a rookie coach, or converting an assistant to a head coach.
its carbs first year,give it some time.carbs was agreat player who understood all aspects of the game .he will be a great coach one day.

drifter is offline   Reply With Quote